From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (Nelgin)
To: All
Subject: Re: Javascript for dummies like me
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 16:53:51 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nelgin - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 22:53 UTC

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 04:10:20 -0500
"echicken" <echicken@VERT/ECBBS> wrote:

> Re: Javascript for dummies like me
> By: Sys64738 to echicken on Mon Dec 06 2021 18:05:26
>
> Sy> I think you understand exactly what I'm getting at. It's the
> Sy> JavaScript info that is HTML/CSS-centric that I'm trying to weed
> Sy> my way through.
>
> Hate to say it, but you just have to power through it. You'll
> eventually get a feel for what information is portable and what is
> tied to a certain domain.

Pretty much what I did. Just take some existing code, there are plenty
of examples in /sbbs/exec from small utilities to full blown apps.
You'll definitely want to refer to the jsobjs file. This is the link
between js and synchronet.

Maybe look at one of the menus. It's pretty easy and uses a few
features like getting the users time and security levels, presenting
menus and files and the like.

DM also has a few videos on programming that are worth a look.

The bottom line is, figure something you want to do and carve away at
it. You can even do a basic outline in English then figure the
javascript to replace it.

like

get users age
if they're older than 21 set the 1M flag (for mature content)
if they're older then 50 then set the 2O flags for Old Fart.
Also, if it's their birthday then announce it by displaying
an ansi birthday card

Then plug that in somewhere in the login sequence.
--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23