From: mickey@VERT/MICKEY (Mickey)
To: Ogg
Subject: Re: briar
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:15:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Mickey - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:15 UTC

On 28 Feb 2022, Ogg said the following...
Og> I just leanred about another secure chat app.
Og>
Og> https://briarproject.org/how-it-works/

I installed it.Love the idea. Tricky to add contacts. You have to meet up in a dark alley to share QR Codes. :-)

Mick Manning
-(< BluesNET - The Musician's Network >)-

.... Computers all wait at the same speed!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/28 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Central Ontario BluesNET

briar

<621E17F5.5070.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=622&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#622

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: Mickey
Subject: briar
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 00:51:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 05:51 UTC

Hello Mickey!

** On Monday 28.02.22 - 20:15, Mickey wrote to Ogg:

Og>> https://briarproject.org/how-it-works/

M> I installed it.Love the idea. Tricky to add contacts. You
M> have to meet up in a dark alley to share QR Codes. :-)

Exchanging the briar:// ID link via email or another chat
program works too. We exchanged our links via Telegram.

I'm in a network of 3 users now. We are exploring its options.
Apparently, each person can have their own "blog" as a means to
make an announcement (and receive comments) to all persons who
are in one's Contacts. There is also an "open forum" and
"private forum" option. All of that is described on the online
manual page.

It doesn't have the ability to re-edit a message once posted.
But messages can be deleted at any time, and therefore
replaced.

Oh.. a couple of other "secure" feature perhaps:

[1] links are not hot. ie. are not clickable.

[2] messages from the 1-to-1 pvt chats and "blog" cannot be
copied; only messages from the "forum" can be copied.

It seems to be kinda like a utilitarian cross between DeltaChat
and Discord.

But perhaps a salient feature might be that it supports comms
between users on Bluetooth and wifi. So.. if the internet
might be down, at least a close community of users could still
exchange messages, or until ONE person obtains internet access.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

briar

<623F3EB1.2735.dove-internet@finalzone.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=642&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#642

From: phigan@VERT/FINALZON (Phigan)
To: Ogg
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:26:25 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Phigan - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:26 UTC

Re: briar
By: Ogg to Mickey on Tue Mar 01 2022 07:51 am

> I'm in a network of 3 users now. We are exploring its options.

> It seems to be kinda like a utilitarian cross between DeltaChat
> and Discord.

I get that the "de-centralized" thing is nice, but what about using a self-hosted server like Matrix-Synapse homeserver? The Matrix clients, like Element, are pretty decent and good enough for modern people's desire for emojis and stickers and crap. It also has a pretty cool CLI client called Gomuks I think it was.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com

briar

<623FCE42.5093.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=643&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#643

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: Phigan
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:38:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 19:38 UTC

Hello Phigan!

** On Saturday 26.03.22 - 11:26, Phigan wrote to Ogg:

>> I'm in a network of 3 users now. We are exploring its options.

>> It seems to be kinda like a utilitarian cross between DeltaChat
>> and Discord.

P> I get that the "de-centralized" thing is nice, but what
P> about using a self-hosted server like Matrix-Synapse
P> homeserver? The Matrix clients, like Element, are pretty
P> decent and good enough for modern people's desire for
P> emojis and stickers and crap. It also has a pretty cool CLI
P> client called Gomuks I think it was.

I am on the Matrix system using Element for my desktop UI. I
can't use it on the phone 'cuz my Blackberry (Android 4.3 max)
won't support it.

I don't know what a Matrix-Synapse system is.

But Briar operates very nicely on the phone. It does NOT do
sticker stuff/craft, but it does support a modest handful of
emojis if desired.

I believe that Briar is *only* available as a smartphone app.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

briar

<626587D7.2777.dove-internet@finalzone.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=682&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#682

From: phigan@VERT/FINALZON (Phigan)
To: Ogg
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 05:24:39 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Phigan - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:24 UTC

Re: briar
By: Ogg to Phigan on Sat Mar 26 2022 10:38 pm

> I don't know what a Matrix-Synapse system is.

Self-hosted version of Matrix, so you don't have to use matrix.org's servers.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com