From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Lord Blackfair
Subject: Captcha
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 01:26:05 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 06:26 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Lord Blackfair to All on Thu Jul 29 2021 05:48 pm

> This is probally off topic. But i will post it here so everyone can see
> it. Since I innitiated my Captcha program on my BBS. Its been keeping the
> bots out and I have not seen any attempts at seeing any scripted bots trying
> to logon using SSH,ROOT,ADMIN ETC...
> With the help of another sysop he made a scripted batch file that changes
> the captcha number every 10 minutes, so its not the same with every login. I
> am still working on the process of using the Randam INT, but am having
> problems trying to get it to work with the compare. So if anyone wishes to
> use it. I do have it posted for Download on Vert. and if we have any
> programers out there in Baja that want to help me improve it feel free to
> drop a line.
> Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net

INT I ▌ RANDOM I 3 ▌ COMPARE I 0 ▌ IF_EQUAL ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT] ▌ else ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT]
END_IF
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<6104C1B1.2.dove-firearms@blackf.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=58&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#58

From: lord.blackfair@VERT/BLACKF (Lord Blackfair)
To: MRO
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:21:21 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Lord Blackfair - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:21 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Fri Jul 30 2021 08:26 am

> Re: Captcha
> By: Lord Blackfair to All on Thu Jul 29 2021 05:48 pm
>
> > This is probally off topic. But i will post it here so everyone can see
> > it. Since I innitiated my Captcha program on my BBS. Its been keeping the
> > bots out and I have not seen any attempts at seeing any scripted bots
> > trying to logon using SSH,ROOT,ADMIN ETC...
> > With the help of another sysop he made a scripted batch file that
> > changes the captcha number every 10 minutes, so its not the same with
> > every login. I am still working on the process of using the Randam INT,
> > but am having problems trying to get it to work with the compare. So if
> > anyone wishes to use it. I do have it posted for Download on Vert. and if
> > we have any programers out there in Baja that want to help me improve it
> > feel free to drop a line.
> > Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net
>
> INT I
> ▌ RANDOM I 3
> ▌ COMPARE I 0
> ▌ IF_EQUAL
> ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT]
> ▌ else
> ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT]
> END_IF
By using that, wouldnt that only allow if the script picks 0?
i want to COMPARE I with the STR

Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net

---
■ Synchronet ■ Blackfair's Manor - blackf.synchro.net

Captcha

<6104FCE3.2514.syncbaja@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=59&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#59

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Lord Blackfair
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:33:55 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 00:33 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Lord Blackfair to MRO on Fri Jul 30 2021 11:21 pm

> Re: Captcha
> By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Fri Jul 30 2021 08:26 am
>
> > Re: Captcha
> > By: Lord Blackfair to All on Thu Jul 29 2021 05:48 pm
>
> > > This is probally off topic. But i will post it here so everyone
>
> > > can
> > > see it. Since I innitiated my Captcha program on my BBS. Its been
> > > keeping the bots out and I have not seen any attempts at seeing any
> > > scripted bots trying to logon using SSH,ROOT,ADMIN ETC...
> > > With the help of another sysop he made a scripted batch file that
> > > changes the captcha number every 10 minutes, so its not the same with
> > > every login. I am still working on the process of using the Randam
> > > INT, but am having problems trying to get it to work with the compare.
> > > So if anyone wishes to use it. I do have it posted for Download on
> > > Vert. and if we have any programers out there in Baja that want to
> > > help me improve it feel free to drop a line.
> > > Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net
>
> > INT I
> > ▌ RANDOM I 3
> > ▌ COMPARE I 0
> > ▌ IF_EQUAL
> > ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT]
> > ▌ else
> > ▌ [WHATEVER COMMAND YOU WANT]
> > END_IF
> By using that, wouldnt that only allow if the script picks 0?
> i want to COMPARE I with the STR

i believe you copy it to a str and compare it

just by checking if it's an exact number you can use that code i posted.
and that's what your capcha does, right

anyways, those bots will not solve your capcha. they will get confused and sit
on the connection.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<6105A3D7.4408.bajaprog@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=60&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#60

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: MRO
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 05:26:15 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:26 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Sat Jul 31 2021 02:33 am

> anyways, those bots will not solve your capcha. they will get confused and
> sit on the connection.

Yup. Truth be told, you could just print "Hit ESC now to continue" and disconnect if the ESC key (or whatever key you like) isn't hit within a few seconds. No bot is going to hit the ESC key - problem solved. You don't really *need* to display/prompt for a random anything since nobody is going to build a BBS-specific bot (they just aren't a target of interest).

If you're running a recent build of Synchronet with a recent login.js, it'll disconnect dumb terminals (those not supporting ANSI or any other emulation) very quickly when no input is sent and that disconnect time is configurable.
--
digital man

Rush quote #57:
He picks up scraps of information, he's adept at adaptation .. Digital Man
Norco, CA WX: 92.3°F, 35.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net