A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN DAQUIRI!!

dovenet / Internet / Re: freedom phone

SubjectAuthor
* freedom phoneOgg
+* freedom phoneMRO
|`- freedom phoneOgg
+* freedom phoneArelor
|`* freedom phoneOgg
| `- freedom phoneArelor
`* freedom phoneDaiTengu
 +- freedom phoneOgg
 `* Re: freedom phonepoindexter FORTRAN
  +- Re: freedom phoneMRO
  `* Re: freedom phoneDaiTengu
   `* Re: freedom phoneArelor
    +* Re: freedom phoneNightfox
    |+* Re: freedom phoneArelor
    ||`* Re: freedom phonepoindexter FORTRAN
    || +- Re: freedom phoneArelor
    || `- Re: freedom phoneMRO
    |`- Re: freedom phonepoindexter FORTRAN
    `- Re: freedom phonehollowone

1
freedom phone

<60EF9B56.4780.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=362&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#362

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: All
Subject: freedom phone
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 15:19:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 19:19 UTC

Hello All!

Bitcoin millionaire launches "Freedom Phone" to "fight the Big
tech overlords"

Erik Finman, the youngest Bitcoin millionaire, has launched a
UNCENSORABLE mobile device he calls "the best phone in the
world" and that he says will take the fight to Big Tech.

"Your data, your rules. I believe you have a voice that
deserves to be heard without being censored. Big Tech hold a
monopoly on public communication, dissemination of information,
and they are abusing that power."

The phone has its own App Store, an OS that has no app,
keyboard or location tracking and a privacy guard that warns
users when they're being tracked by any app or website, and
allows them to block it.

https://freedomphone.com/

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

freedom phone

<60F03DBB.904.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=364&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#364

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 01:52:59 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 06:52 UTC

Re: freedom phone
By: Ogg to All on Wed Jul 14 2021 10:19 pm

> Hello All!
>
> Bitcoin millionaire launches "Freedom Phone" to "fight the Big
> tech overlords"
>
> Erik Finman, the youngest Bitcoin millionaire, has launched a
> UNCENSORABLE mobile device he calls "the best phone in the
> world" and that he says will take the fight to Big Tech.
>
> "Your data, your rules. I believe you have a voice that
> deserves to be heard without being censored. Big Tech hold a
> monopoly on public communication, dissemination of information,
> and they are abusing that power."
>
> The phone has its own App Store, an OS that has no app,
> keyboard or location tracking and a privacy guard that warns
> users when they're being tracked by any app or website, and

not really seeing much about the specs, though
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

freedom phone

<60F039E0.2765.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=367&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#367

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 01:36:32 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 06:36 UTC

Re: freedom phone
By: Ogg to All on Wed Jul 14 2021 10:19 pm

> Hello All!
>
> Bitcoin millionaire launches "Freedom Phone" to "fight the Big
> tech overlords"
>
> Erik Finman, the youngest Bitcoin millionaire, has launched a
> UNCENSORABLE mobile device he calls "the best phone in the
> world" and that he says will take the fight to Big Tech.
>
> "Your data, your rules. I believe you have a voice that
> deserves to be heard without being censored. Big Tech hold a
> monopoly on public communication, dissemination of information,
> and they are abusing that power."
>
> The phone has its own App Store, an OS that has no app,
> keyboard or location tracking and a privacy guard that warns
> users when they're being tracked by any app or website, and
> allows them to block it.
>
> https://freedomphone.com/

I am still waiting for any of these things to hit really strong.

The problem is that for this to happen there needs to stop being social
pressure for using the Big Tech infected phones. Try surviving with no iOS or
Android in Spain and you are mostly left without Internet Banking at all, among
other things. At the rate they are closing offices, I'd rather say without
Banking _at all_.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

freedom phone

<60F09E17.3905.dove-internet@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=368&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#368

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 08:44:07 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: DaiTengu - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 13:44 UTC

Re: freedom phone
By: Ogg to All on Wed Jul 14 2021 10:19 pm

Og> Bitcoin millionaire launches "Freedom Phone" to "fight the Big
Og> tech overlords"

Og> Erik Finman, the youngest Bitcoin millionaire, has launched a
Og> UNCENSORABLE mobile device he calls "the best phone in the
Og> world" and that he says will take the fight to Big Tech.

Og> "Your data, your rules. I believe you have a voice that
Og> deserves to be heard without being censored. Big Tech hold a
Og> monopoly on public communication, dissemination of information,
Og> and they are abusing that power."

Og> The phone has its own App Store, an OS that has no app,
Og> keyboard or location tracking and a privacy guard that warns
Og> users when they're being tracked by any app or website, and
Og> allows them to block it.

I think I'll pass, especially after it turns out the FBI sold and marketed an encrypted device/network and then proceeded to arrest over 800 people as a result of it.

https://www.engadget.com/fbi-encrypted-chat-app-anom-criminals-102001487.html

DaiTengu

.... Not one hundred percent efficient, of course.but nothing ever is.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

freedom phone

<60F0D85B.4790.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=370&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#370

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 13:52:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 17:52 UTC

Hello Arelor!

** On Thursday 15.07.21 - 08:36, Arelor wrote to Ogg:

>> https://freedomphone.com/

A> I am still waiting for any of these things to hit really strong.

A> The problem is that for this to happen there needs to stop
A> being social pressure for using the Big Tech infected
A> phones. Try surviving with no iOS or Android in Spain and
A> you are mostly left without Internet Banking at all, among
A> other things. At the rate they are closing offices, I'd
A> rather say without Banking _at all_.

There is more info emerging about the freedomphone. Apparently
it's a de-Googled Android. So.. wouldn't bankking still work
in Spain?

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

freedom phone

<60F0DC39.4791.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=371&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#371

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 14:08:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 18:08 UTC

Hello MRO!

** On Thursday 15.07.21 - 08:52, MRO wrote to Ogg:

M> not really seeing much about the specs, though

More is emerging. Here's one:

Freedom Phone Specs | Umidigi A9 Pro
https://youtu.be/t396Vvrgap8

But Freedomphone itself is not disclosing much on their own.

This article raises concerns about its security and
vulnerabilities.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/freedom-phone-security-issues/

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

freedom phone

<60F0F12D.4794.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=373&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#373

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 15:38:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:38 UTC

Hello DaiTengu!

** On Thursday 15.07.21 - 15:44, DaiTengu wrote to Ogg:

D> I think I'll pass, especially after it turns out the FBI sold and
D> marketed an encrypted device/network and then proceeded to arrest over 800
D> people as a result of it.

D> https://www.engadget.com/fbi-encrypted-chat-app-anom-criminals-102001487.h
D> tml

That was basically an incredible sting.

Ironically the words on the shield of the FBI are:

Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity.

The sting was a tad short of integrity, I'd say. :/

Covert operation and integrity seem to be mutually exclusive to
me.

--

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

freedom phone

<60F1462D.2776.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=376&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#376

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:41:17 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 01:41 UTC

Re: freedom phone
By: Ogg to Arelor on Thu Jul 15 2021 08:52 pm

> Hello Arelor!
>
> ** On Thursday 15.07.21 - 08:36, Arelor wrote to Ogg:
>
> >> https://freedomphone.com/
>
> A> I am still waiting for any of these things to hit really strong.
>
> A> The problem is that for this to happen there needs to stop
> A> being social pressure for using the Big Tech infected
> A> phones. Try surviving with no iOS or Android in Spain and
> A> you are mostly left without Internet Banking at all, among
> A> other things. At the rate they are closing offices, I'd
> A> rather say without Banking _at all_.
>
> There is more info emerging about the freedomphone. Apparently
> it's a de-Googled Android. So.. wouldn't bankking still work
> in Spain?

You never know.

If it is a de-googled android you lose access to a lot of functions Android
programs expect to be present, such as access to GCM (a Google controlled
platform for delivering communication and notification). Current banking apps
here have a tendency to check if you are running a regular Android and halt if
you don't either because some function they are designed around is not
available, or because they regard non regular Androids as hacked/cracked phone
systems and thus considered insecure as per the bank's policies.

There are tricks to make a de-googled phone look like a Googled one, but they
are very hacky and they are not a long term fix.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: freedom phone

<60F1FD97.4850.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=387&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#387

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: DaiTengu
Subject: Re: freedom phone
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 00:42:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 07:42 UTC

-=> DaiTengu wrote to Ogg <=-

Da> I think I'll pass, especially after it turns out the FBI sold and
Da> marketed an encrypted device/network and then proceeded to arrest over
Da> 800 people as a result of it.

Da> https://www.engadget.com/fbi-encrypted-chat-app-anom-criminals-102001487
Da> .html

A Linux-based phone is sounding like a better idea the more I look at it.
Can I get a GUI-based IRC client and VPN?

.... Magnify the most difficult details
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: freedom phone

<60F2F530.935.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=393&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#393

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 03:20:16 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:20 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: poindexter FORTRAN to DaiTengu on Fri Jul 16 2021 07:42 am

> A Linux-based phone is sounding like a better idea the more I look at it.
> Can I get a GUI-based IRC client and VPN?

they keep talking about linux based phones but they dont ever emerge as working alternatives.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: freedom phone

<610DA89C.3968.dove-internet@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=431&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#431

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 09:24:44 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: DaiTengu - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:24 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: poindexter FORTRAN to DaiTengu on Fri Jul 16 2021 07:42 am

Da>> https://www.engadget.com/fbi-encrypted-chat-app-anom-criminals-10200
Da>> 1487 .html

PF> A Linux-based phone is sounding like a better idea the more I look at it.
PF> Can I get a GUI-based IRC client and VPN?

Android is linux-based. http://source.android.com

Phone companies put closed source apps on top of it, and lock bootloaders.

iOS is based on Darwin, which was based on BSD UNIX.

DaiTengu

.... In some cases non-violence requires more militancy than violence.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Re: freedom phone

<610E5A29.2831.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=432&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#432

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 22:02:17 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 03:02 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Aug 06 2021 04:24 pm

> PF> A Linux-based phone is sounding like a better idea the more I look at i
> PF> Can I get a GUI-based IRC client and VPN?
>

> Android is linux-based. http://source.android.com

I suspect PF is thinking of a phone which loads a Linux+GNU distribution, as
the ones people runs on servers or workstations :-)

Android may have a lot of Linux code under the trunk, but it certainly does not
feel like using a common Linux distribution at all.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: freedom phone

<610F01E2.5276.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=433&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#433

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 07:57:54 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 14:57 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: Arelor to DaiTengu on Sat Aug 07 2021 05:02 am

Ar> Android may have a lot of Linux code under the trunk, but it certainly
Ar> does not feel like using a common Linux distribution at all.

What would you expect a Linux phone OS to look like? Would you want it to run a Linux window manager like Gnome or Compiz or something and run Linux desktop apps?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: freedom phone

<610EEAD5.3925.dove-int@capitolshrill.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=434&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#434

From: hollowone@VERT/CAPSHRIL (hollowone)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 14:46:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: hollowone - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 18:46 UTC

Ar> I suspect PF is thinking of a phone which loads a Linux+GNU
Ar> distribution, as the ones people runs on servers or workstations :-)

Ar> Android may have a lot of Linux code under the trunk, but it certainly
Ar> does not feel like using a common Linux distribution at all.

Mozilla tried to do something like that but failed to deliver.

/h1
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com

Re: freedom phone

<610F2532.2834.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=435&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#435

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 12:28:34 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:28 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: Nightfox to Arelor on Sat Aug 07 2021 02:57 pm

> Re: Re: freedom phone
> By: Arelor to DaiTengu on Sat Aug 07 2021 05:02 am
>
> Ar> Android may have a lot of Linux code under the trunk, but it certainly
> Ar> does not feel like using a common Linux distribution at all.
>
> What would you expect a Linux phone OS to look like? Would you want it to r
> a Linux window manager like Gnome or Compiz or something and run Linux deskt
> apps?
>
> Nightfox

I am not concerned for looks.

What I miss is using common Linux / GNU Coreutils tools out of the box for day
to day management. In a "proper" Linux phone you could use apt-get or sbotools
to install a Strongswan package, use /etc/ethers for setting arp entries, and
Iptables for firewall rules.

There are ways to run proper Linux programs on Android, but they are limited
and feel much like running an emulator.

I am not sure common window managers are a great fit for small screens myself.
Big desktop environments seem to be bent into being usable on mobile devices
but I have never tried them on that environment.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: freedom phone

<611020BD.4906.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=436&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#436

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 03:58:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 10:58 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to Arelor <=-

Ni> What would you expect a Linux phone OS to look like? Would you want it
Ni> to run a Linux window manager like Gnome or Compiz or something and run
Ni> Linux desktop apps?

There are a couple of linux phone OS distros out there. Pinephone is running
one of them.

.... Look at a very small object, look at its centre
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: freedom phone

<611020BD.4907.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=437&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#437

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 04:00:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 11:00 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Nightfox <=-

Ar> What I miss is using common Linux / GNU Coreutils tools out of the box
Ar> for day to day management. In a "proper" Linux phone you could use
Ar> apt-get or sbotools to install a Strongswan package, use /etc/ethers
Ar> for setting arp entries, and Iptables for firewall rules.

Ar> There are ways to run proper Linux programs on Android, but they are
Ar> limited and feel much like running an emulator.

Ar> I am not sure common window managers are a great fit for small screens
Ar> myself. Big desktop environments seem to be bent into being usable on
Ar> mobile devices but I have never tried them on that environment.

Imagine finally being able to do the "docked phone as a desktop" deal
companies have tried selling for years. Make a clamshell with a monitor,
keyboard, trackpad, and just enough guts to run VNC, and VNC into your
phone, running a full Linux distro.

Or, VNC in from any old desktop and get a full environment that you can take
with you.

.... Look at a very small object, look at its centre
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: freedom phone

<61107C74.2837.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=438&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#438

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 12:53:08 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:53 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Sun Aug 08 2021 11:00 am

> Imagine finally being able to do the "docked phone as a desktop" deal
> companies have tried selling for years. Make a clamshell with a monitor,
> keyboard, trackpad, and just enough guts to run VNC, and VNC into your
> phone, running a full Linux distro.
>
> Or, VNC in from any old desktop and get a full environment that you can take
> with you.

Afaik there are already ways to do those things... up to a point. See what I
mentioned of that UserLand tool mentioned in Linux Magazine. You can also run a
Linux distribution in a chroot in Android so the VNC solution is not out of the
question.

This does not change the fact that any Linux you would be running, would be
running on top of a lot of spyware ridden cruft and heavily limited by it (ie.
no advanced networking without rooting Android or developing a specific Android
app).

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: freedom phone

<6110EA9C.981.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=439&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#439

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:43:08 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 01:43 UTC

Re: Re: freedom phone
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Sun Aug 08 2021 11:00 am

> -=> Arelor wrote to Nightfox <=-
>
> Ar> What I miss is using common Linux / GNU Coreutils tools out of the box
> Ar> for day to day management. In a "proper" Linux phone you could use
> Ar> apt-get or sbotools to install a Strongswan package, use /etc/ethers
> Ar> for setting arp entries, and Iptables for firewall rules.
>
> Ar> There are ways to run proper Linux programs on Android, but they are
> Ar> limited and feel much like running an emulator.
>
> Ar> I am not sure common window managers are a great fit for small screens
> Ar> myself. Big desktop environments seem to be bent into being usable on
> Ar> mobile devices but I have never tried them on that environment.
>
> Imagine finally being able to do the "docked phone as a desktop" deal
> companies have tried selling for years. Make a clamshell with a monitor,
> keyboard, trackpad, and just enough guts to run VNC, and VNC into your
> phone, running a full Linux distro.
>
> Or, VNC in from any old desktop and get a full environment that you can take
> with you.

i can vnc or teamviewer from my phone into my desktop easily.

what i want for my phone is a linux distro that also has apps for using the phone and txting.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::