Mankind is poised midway between the gods and the beasts. -- Plotinus

dovenet / Sports / biking

SubjectAuthor
* bikingTim
`* bikingCougar428
 `* bikingBrokenmind
  `* bikingCougar428
   `* bikingBrokenmind
    `* bikingCougar428
     +* bikingMoondog
     |`* bikingCougar428
     | +* bikingMoondog
     | |`* bikingCougar428
     | | +* bikingMoondog
     | | |+* bikingNightfox
     | | |+- bikingCougar428
     | | |`- bikingBrokenmind
     | | `* bikingDumas Walker
     | |  `* bikingCougar428
     | |   `* bikingMRO
     | |    `- bikingCougar428
     | `* bikingBrokenmind
     |  +* bikingMoondog
     |  |`- bikingBrokenmind
     |  `* bikingCougar428
     |   `- bikingMoondog
     `* bikingBrokenmind
      `* bikingCougar428
       `- bikingMoondog

Pages:12
biking

<63C609C9.2.dove-sports@73.86.207.34>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=13&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#13

From: tim@VERT/WHIZARDM (Tim)
To: All
Subject: biking
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 14:36:57 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Tim - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:36 UTC

Sports? Close as I get to sports, mountain bike trail riding in Md. I
was up to 12 miles or so at park trail rides. Gotta get back to it!! Good for
ya. I love nature, and to get out forget everything.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whizardmagic Cave - 73.86.207.34

biking

<63CD32EB.7855.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=17&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#17

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: TIM
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 00:46:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 08:46 UTC

TI> Sports? Close as I get to sports, mountain bike trail riding in Md. I
TI>was up to 12 miles or so at park trail rides. Gotta get back to it!! Good f
TI>ya. I love nature, and to get out forget everything.

I get out as much as I can. Live near lake Erie and ride around the
Presque Isle penninsula which is around 13 miles. Also belong to the
'Rails to Trails' organization.

Love to ride on the trails made where older rail lines ran. The ride is
normally pretty smooth and level. Many trails are paved or limestoned so
riding is effortless.

Can't wait to get back out in the spring!

Cougar
---
■ SLMR 2.1a
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63D27F95.153.dove-sports@tiabbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=25&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#25

From: brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS (Brokenmind)
To: Cougar428
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 01:26:45 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Brokenmind - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 06:26 UTC

Re: biking
By: Cougar428 to TIM on Sun Jan 22 2023 07:46 am

Co> I get out as much as I can. Live near lake Erie and ride around the
Co> Presque Isle penninsula which is around 13 miles. Also belong to the
Co> 'Rails to Trails' organization.

Co> Love to ride on the trails made where older rail lines ran. The ride is
Co> normally pretty smooth and level. Many trails are paved or limestoned so
Co> riding is effortless.

I'm originaly from socal but i have been living in Central Pa in dauphin county about an hr north of harrisburg I live in a valley between two mountains and there are a ton of bike/atv trails within walking distance of my home. the appalachian trail is about 20 mins by car from were i live. We have about 1400 people in our burrow/township. I have lived here about 16yrs now and have not found all the trails around here plus this was a huge mining town back in the day with a lot of hidden stuff old train beds etc. there are a few organizations that you have to pay to ride your atv on a few of them and others you can be on but not atv mostly for forest service.

BrokenMind

---
■ Synchronet

biking

<63D40F5F.7865.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=27&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#27

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: BROKENMIND
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 05:42:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:42 UTC

-=> Quoting Brokenmind to Cougar428 <=-

Br> I'm originaly from socal but i have been living in Central Pa in
Br> dauphin county about an hr north of harrisburg I live in a valley
Br> between two mountains and there are a ton of bike/atv trails within
Br> walking distance of my home. the appalachian trail is about 20 mins by
Br> car from were i live. We have about 1400 people in our
Br> burrow/township. I have lived here about 16yrs now and have not found
Br> all the trails around here plus this was a huge mining town back in
Br> the day with a lot of hidden stuff old train beds etc. there are a few
Br> organizations that you have to pay to ride your atv on a few of them
Br> and others you can be on but not atv mostly for forest service.
Br> BrokenMind

Sounds like I have a new place to visit! I like to take 3 day
weekend trips and try new trails, nothing but an 8 hour drive 8^).

Thanks for the tip!

Cougar

.... "What?!? This isn't the Files section?!?"

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63DD3308.159.dove-sports@tiabbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=30&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#30

From: brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS (Brokenmind)
To: Cougar428
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 04:15:04 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Brokenmind - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 09:15 UTC

Re: biking
By: Cougar428 to BROKENMIND on Fri Jan 27 2023 12:42 pm

Br>> I'm originaly from socal but i have been living in Central Pa in
Br>> dauphin county about an hr north of harrisburg I live in a valley
Br>> between two mountains and there are a ton of bike/atv trails within
Br>> walking distance of my home. the appalachian trail is about 20 mins
Br>> by car from were i live. We have about 1400 people in our
Br>> burrow/township. I have lived here about 16yrs now and have not
Br>> found all the trails around here plus this was a huge mining town
Br>> back in the day with a lot of hidden stuff old train beds etc. there
Br>> are a few organizations that you have to pay to ride your atv on a
Br>> few of them and others you can be on but not atv mostly for forest
Br>> service. BrokenMind

Co> Sounds like I have a new place to visit! I like to take 3 day
Co> weekend trips and try new trails, nothing but an 8 hour drive 8^).

Co> Thanks for the tip!
Not a problem this is a vary small town and you blink and miss it but it grows on you. only thing that drives me nuts is having to travel for most things doctors and such and also that fact is that if you have a egg in my town by time you get to the next down 2 mins later it's turned into a full blown chicken. Small down drama is like no other lol. But as in visiting and travilin though and trails this area is great for it and it's stunning. when the the power goes out and you go outside you can't see your hand infront of your face and clean and air and at times you think you could reach out and touch the stars you can see them so well..

BrokenMind

---
■ Synchronet

biking

<63DE627C.7869.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=31&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#31

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: BROKENMIND
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:28:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 08:28 UTC

-=> Quoting Brokenmind to Cougar428 <=-

Br> other lol. But as in visiting and travilin though and trails this area
Br> is great for it and it's stunning. when the the power goes out and you
Br> go outside you can't see your hand infront of your face and clean and
Br> air and at times you think you could reach out and touch the stars you
Br> can see them so well..

Sounds like you have settled in pretty well, and I can tell you like
where you live. I also live in a rural area, I have 17 acres and
lots of room. I used to just go out on a clear evening in the
summer and lay in the grass to look at the stars. I haven't done
that in a while, but your message makes me want to give it a try
again this summer!

Thanks again!

Cougar

.... Cleanliness is next to impossible.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63DFEC14.7071.dove-spo@cavebbs.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=32&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#32

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 05:49:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Moondog - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 10:49 UTC

Re: biking
By: Cougar428 to BROKENMIND on Sat Feb 04 2023 07:28 am

> -=> Quoting Brokenmind to Cougar428 <=-
>
> Br> other lol. But as in visiting and travilin though and trails this area
> Br> is great for it and it's stunning. when the the power goes out and you
> Br> go outside you can't see your hand infront of your face and clean and
> Br> air and at times you think you could reach out and touch the stars you
> Br> can see them so well..
>
> Sounds like you have settled in pretty well, and I can tell you like
> where you live. I also live in a rural area, I have 17 acres and
> lots of room. I used to just go out on a clear evening in the
> summer and lay in the grass to look at the stars. I haven't done
> that in a while, but your message makes me want to give it a try
> again this summer!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Cougar
>

> ... Cleanliness is next to impossible.
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

I live in the "sticks" in SW Michigan, and I have 5 acres of frontage
surrounded by 80 acres owned by the previous owner. She sold off the house
and land, but kept the farm land for renting. I'm on a side road, so there's
times I can shoot critters from the front porch with a .22 or even take a
leak off the porch without disturbing the neighbors.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

biking

<63E324DA.7871.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=33&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#33

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:45:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:45 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

Mo> I live in the "sticks" in SW Michigan, and I have 5 acres of frontage
Mo> surrounded by 80 acres owned by the previous owner. She sold off the
Mo> house and land, but kept the farm land for renting. I'm on a side
Mo> road, so there's times I can shoot critters from the front porch
Mo> with a .22 or even take a leak off the porch without disturbing the
Mo> neighbors.

Wow. Taking a leak in the front yard...

Wait, you're not from Appalachia are you?
(Just kidding! Appalachians - Please don't hit me!)

:^)

Cougar

.... Of all 36 alternatives, running away is best.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63E40346.7073.dove-spo@cavebbs.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=34&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#34

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 08:17:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Moondog - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:17 UTC

Re: biking
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Tue Feb 07 2023 10:45 pm

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> Mo> I live in the "sticks" in SW Michigan, and I have 5 acres of frontage
> Mo> surrounded by 80 acres owned by the previous owner. She sold off the
> Mo> house and land, but kept the farm land for renting. I'm on a side
> Mo> road, so there's times I can shoot critters from the front porch
> Mo> with a .22 or even take a leak off the porch without disturbing the
> Mo> neighbors.
>
> Wow. Taking a leak in the front yard...
>
> Wait, you're not from Appalachia are you?
> (Just kidding! Appalachians - Please don't hit me!)
>
> :^)
>
> Cougar
>

> ... Of all 36 alternatives, running away is best.
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

Southwest Michigan, about 60 miles due east across Lake Michigan.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

biking

<63E50E8D.7873.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=35&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#35

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:52:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:52 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

> Wow. Taking a leak in the front yard...
>
> Wait, you're not from Appalachia are you?
> (Just kidding! Appalachians - Please don't hit me!)
>
> :^)

Mo> Southwest Michigan, about 60 miles due east across Lake Michigan.

Hey there Moondog, you realize I was only kidding right? I realize
it can be hard to tell if someone is serious with mail messages.
But I was just kidding.

I sent you this and marked it as personal. I have been wondering if
it really is personal and only you would recieve it. I'd hate to
send someone a "personal only" message only to find it went to
everyone in the conference.

I imagine sysops could see any message. What do you think?

Cougar
(Northwest, Pennsylvania)

.... We now return to our regularly scheduled flame-throwing.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63E52F33.7075.dove-spo@cavebbs.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=36&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#36

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 05:36:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Moondog - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 10:36 UTC

Re: biking
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Thu Feb 09 2023 08:52 am

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> > Wow. Taking a leak in the front yard...
> >
> > Wait, you're not from Appalachia are you?
> > (Just kidding! Appalachians - Please don't hit me!)
> >
> > :^)
>
> Mo> Southwest Michigan, about 60 miles due east across Lake Michigan.
>
> Hey there Moondog, you realize I was only kidding right? I realize
> it can be hard to tell if someone is serious with mail messages.
> But I was just kidding.
>
> I sent you this and marked it as personal. I have been wondering if
> it really is personal and only you would recieve it. I'd hate to
> send someone a "personal only" message only to find it went to
> everyone in the conference.
>
> I imagine sysops could see any message. What do you think?
>
> Cougar
> (Northwest, Pennsylvania)
>
> ... We now return to our regularly scheduled flame-throwing.
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

Years ago I had co-sysopaccess on my neighbor's BBS and they could view all
messages. Besides being a nice guy, my friend gave me access because we had
heard from other local BBS's a minor (15y/o girl)liked to play games and talk
dirty with other board members. We were concerned for her safety with
regards to online predators. We had one younger member, my friend's next
door neighbor wh was 16 or 17, and she had met him at a graduation party and
had a crush on him. He didn't want any part of here. He said she was too
crazy

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

biking

<63E59021.4579.dove_dove-spo@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=37&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#37

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Moondog
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:30:25 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 17:30 UTC

Re: biking
By: Moondog to Cougar428 on Thu Feb 09 2023 12:36 pm

Mo> Years ago I had co-sysopaccess on my neighbor's BBS and they could view
Mo> all messages. Besides being a nice guy, my friend gave me access because
Mo> we had heard from other local BBS's a minor (15y/o girl)liked to play
Mo> games and talk dirty with other board members. We were concerned for her
Mo> safety with regards to online predators. We had one younger member, my
Mo> friend's next door neighbor wh was 16 or 17, and she had met him at a
Mo> graduation party and had a crush on him. He didn't want any part of here.
Mo> He said she was too crazy

Online safety is definitely a concern, and back when BBSes were in their heyday, I'm not sure many people realized what was going on sometimes. When I was 13 (1993), there was a local BBS I was using where another user had contacted me and said she was a girl about my age and said "she" had wanted to meet up and do some stuff, but just a couple days later, I noticed that user's account no longer existed on that BBS. I had a feeling the sysop(s) may have seen the message and perhaps that person had done some other things to make it seem they weren't who they said they were.

And before that, when I was 12 and first starting to use BBSes, there was one local BBS that had a matchmaker door. There was a girl my age I started talking to there and we ended up exchanging phone numbers. She called our house one day and I talked to her for a minute (she did sound like a 12 year old girl) but at the time I felt a little weird about talking to an unknown girl like that and I didn't talk to her again.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

biking

<63E5AAED.841.dove-spo@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=38&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#38

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 13:24:45 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: MRO - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:24 UTC

Re: biking
By: Nightfox to Moondog on Thu Feb 09 2023 04:30 pm

> And before that, when I was 12 and first starting to use BBSes, there was
> one local BBS that had a matchmaker door. There was a girl my age I started
> talking to there and we ended up exchanging phone numbers. She called our
> house one day and I talked to her for a minute (she did sound like a 12 year
> old girl) but at the time I felt a little weird about talking to an unknown
> girl like that and I didn't talk to her again.
>
> Nightfox

In the mid 90s when bbses were in their third wave (very popular but the death of bbsing was near) I was an avid user of bbses and I was the cosysop of many popular boards.

I then setup my own bbs after a bunch of them went down and it became the most popular in my city.

There was a user who was a grown man who called himself 'plastic'.
his fetish was to be wrapped naked in plastic or something like that.
Right away he started messaging people on my bbs who he knew were young.

He probably thought that since he was doing it in the games, it was hard to see or maybe prove in court. he was probably right because these games don't create a chat log and after a person gets an 'in game message' it disappears after they read it.

Anyways, he said 'hi, i'm plastic, etc' and explained what he wanted to do.
I told him he was a pedophile and scared him off.

He started going on bbses in another town, calling long distance (which got expensive back then). I followed him to those bbses and one bbs that
wouldn't get rid of him argued that they didn't want to lose people. this was
a pay bbs.

Bedlam hills resort bbs in kenosha.

Oh, i looked him up (I still remember his full name including middle initial,
it was burned in my brain even though this was the mid 90s)
http://racinedeaths.blogspot.com/2009/04/dennis-r-heusdens.html

Good to see the perv is dead. i hope he didn't hurt any kids but I expect he did. I never reported him to the police because I didn't have concrete evidence and there was a lot of ignorance about bbses and what i was doing.

I thought giving him a good scare would have been effective.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

biking

<63E685C9.7877.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=39&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#39

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 05:55:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Cougar428 - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:55 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

Mo> Years ago I had co-sysopaccess on my neighbor's BBS and they could
Mo> view all messages. Besides being a nice guy, my friend gave me access
Mo> because we had heard from other local BBS's a minor (15y/o girl)liked
Mo> to play games and talk dirty with other board members. We were
Mo> concerned for her safety with regards to online predators. We had one
Mo> younger member, my friend's next door neighbor wh was 16 or 17, and she
Mo> had met him at a graduation party and had a crush on him. He didn't
Mo> want any part of here. He said she was too crazy

Sounds like you were doing it for a reason, but I imagine some
people do it because they can.

I also got to know a local sysop where I live, but I wasn't a
superuser, I had certain abilities where I could log in and help.
Not enough so that I could screw anything up...

Cougar

.... !enif tsuj si gnihtyrevE

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63E6BCF7.3017.dove-spo@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=40&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#40

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: COUGAR428
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:49:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Dumas Walker - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:49 UTC

> I sent you this and marked it as personal. I have been wondering if
> it really is personal and only you would recieve it. I'd hate to
> send someone a "personal only" message only to find it went to
> everyone in the conference.

It reached here as public. ;)

* SLMR 2.1a * Copper wire was invented by lawyers arguing over a penny.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

biking

<63E6BCF7.3018.dove-spo@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=41&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#41

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NIGHTFOX
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:49:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Dumas Walker - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:49 UTC

> I'm not sure many people realized what was going on sometimes. When I was
3 > 1993), there was a local BBS I was using where another user had contacted me

> said she was a girl about my age and said "she" had wanted to meet up and do
> me stuff, but just a couple days later, I noticed that user's account no
onge
> existed on that BBS. I had a feeling the sysop(s) may have seen the message

> perhaps that person had done some other things to make it seem they weren't

> they said they were.

There was a board or two in the Louisville area circa 1989-92 where I am
pretty sure the sysops had "alter-ego" accounts where they would post as
women or other "crazy" people just to get attention. These "users" would also
appear, disappear, and reappear like that.

* SLMR 2.1a * What happens when you get scared half to death.....twice?

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

biking

<63E70B97.845.dove-spo@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=42&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#42

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:29:27 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: MRO - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 20:29 UTC

Re: biking
By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Fri Feb 10 2023 04:49 pm

> There was a board or two in the Louisville area circa 1989-92 where I am
> pretty sure the sysops had "alter-ego" accounts where they would post as
> women or other "crazy" people just to get attention. These "users" would
> also appear, disappear, and reappear like that.

I've seen that from some sysops. it's pretty pathetic.

damn we had that one crazy guy here who was posting on dovenet. he had fucking thousands of posts on his bbs that he himself did. he used about 5 different personalities.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

biking

<63E6BFF7.7079.dove-spo@cavebbs.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=43&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#43

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:06:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Moondog - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:06 UTC

Re: biking
By: Nightfox to Moondog on Thu Feb 09 2023 04:30 pm

> Re: biking
> By: Moondog to Cougar428 on Thu Feb 09 2023 12:36 pm
>
> Mo> Years ago I had co-sysopaccess on my neighbor's BBS and they could view
> Mo> all messages. Besides being a nice guy, my friend gave me access becaus
> Mo> we had heard from other local BBS's a minor (15y/o girl)liked to play
> Mo> games and talk dirty with other board members. We were concerned for he
> Mo> safety with regards to online predators. We had one younger member, my
> Mo> friend's next door neighbor wh was 16 or 17, and she had met him at a
> Mo> graduation party and had a crush on him. He didn't want any part of her
> Mo> He said she was too crazy
>
> Online safety is definitely a concern, and back when BBSes were in their hey
> a girl about my age and said "she" had wanted to meet up and do some stuff,
> e some other things to make it seem they weren't who they said they were.
>
> And before that, when I was 12 and first starting to use BBSes, there was on
> o her for a minute (she did sound like a 12 year old girl) but at the time I
>
> Nightfox

Interesting. There were a group of board owners, and we knew pretty much
everyone through another friend on the board. Everyone advertiseed on other
boards. The minor in question was a younger sister or relative of another mem
ber, and tried to act more grown up than she was. She thought because she
was anonymous that she could be a little flirty and raunchy. If I didn't
know she was someone's little sister or cousin, I would think she was a
police bait account scouting out guests to appear on "to catch a predator."

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

biking

<63E7AF10.3022.dove-spo@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=44&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#44

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 03:03:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 08:03 UTC

> damn we had that one crazy guy here who was posting on dovenet. he had fucking
> housands of posts on his bbs that he himself did. he used about 5 different p
> sonalities.

There is at least one on fidonet that posts in echoes under two different
personas. People call him out on it but he claims they are not the same
person.

As for the local guy, he never seemed to be doing it for any sort of harm,
just for amusement, I think. He never posted in the echos like that, just
on his own board.

* SLMR 2.1a * He's not dead,he's electroencephalographically challenged

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

biking

<63E7AF10.3023.dove-spo@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=45&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#45

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 02:55:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 07:55 UTC

> ber, and tried to act more grown up than she was. She thought because she
> was anonymous that she could be a little flirty and raunchy. If I didn't
> know she was someone's little sister or cousin, I would think she was a
> police bait account scouting out guests to appear on "to catch a predator."

Geez, she must have been pretty bad then if it was "police bait" material.

* SLMR 2.1a * Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

biking

<63E7F19B.7884.dove-spo@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=46&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#46

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: MRO
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:50:51 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:50 UTC

Re: biking
By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Fri Feb 10 2023 09:29 pm

> damn we had that one crazy guy here who was posting on dovenet. he had
> fucking thousands of posts on his bbs that he himself did. he used about 5
> different personalities.

I think you're referring to "chinaman".
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #10:
Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year... just not widely reported.
Norco, CA WX: 60.4°F, 53.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

biking

<63E7F7F7.4589.dove_dove-spo@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=47&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#47

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:17:59 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:17 UTC

Re: biking
By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Sat Feb 11 2023 10:03 am

DW> There is at least one on fidonet that posts in echoes under two different
DW> personas. People call him out on it but he claims they are not the same
DW> person.

Several years ago, I saw some messages on a FidoNet echo that a couple people thought my account was a second account of one of my users. And one of them said they thought my real name sounded like it could have been made up. One of them changed the "To" name to mine when replying to one of their messages, and when I saw that message come up in a new-scan, I wondered what was going on.. I replied and said he replied to the wrong person. :P

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

biking

<63E81CC7.851.dove-spo@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=48&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#48

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:55:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: MRO - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:55 UTC

Re: biking
By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Sat Feb 11 2023 10:03 am

> > different p
> > sonalities.
>
> There is at least one on fidonet that posts in echoes under two different
> personas. People call him out on it but he claims they are not the same
> person.
>
> As for the local guy, he never seemed to be doing it for any sort of harm,
> just for amusement, I think. He never posted in the echos like that, just
> on his own board.

Each person's writing style and vocabulary is like a fingerprint; even when they try to disguise it, that just tips them off.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

biking

<63E81EF1.852.dove-spo@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=49&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#49

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Digital Man
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:04:17 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: MRO - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:04 UTC

Re: biking
By: Digital Man to MRO on Sat Feb 11 2023 11:50 am

> Re: biking
> By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Fri Feb 10 2023 09:29 pm
>
> > damn we had that one crazy guy here who was posting on dovenet. he had
> > fucking thousands of posts on his bbs that he himself did. he used about
> > 5 different personalities.
>
> I think you're referring to "chinaman".

Yes, i was referring to him. I didn't know if you had a filter running to shitcan msgs mentioning him.

Ron Scrivani of Poughkeepsie, ny age 78

He also did radio shows with his characters using different voices.
Scarey stuff.

https://www.rememberradio.net/
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

biking

<63E81F74.853.dove-spo@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=50&group=DOVE-Net.Sports#50

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:06:28 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Sports
 by: MRO - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:06 UTC

Re: biking
By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Sat Feb 11 2023 12:17 pm

> Re: biking
> By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Sat Feb 11 2023 10:03 am
>
> DW> There is at least one on fidonet that posts in echoes under two
> DW> different personas. People call him out on it but he claims they are
> DW> not the same person.
>
> Several years ago, I saw some messages on a FidoNet echo that a couple
> people thought my account was a second account of one of my users. And one
> of them said they thought my real name sounded like it could have been made
> up. One of them changed the "To" name to mine when replying to one of their
> messages, and when I saw that message come up in a new-scan, I wondered what
> was going on..
> I replied and said he replied to the wrong person. :P
>
> Nightfox

that sounds like petty fidonet bullshit.
The rule is you use a real sounding name.
My real last name is so long it wont fit into a field on a bbs, or it
would just be annoying, so i don't use it. also real names are nobody's business unless you are doing business with them as far as i'm concerned.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::