From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: All
Subject: irc scanner
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 01:16:11 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 07:16 UTC

so i got this scanner gathering info on my synchronet irc server
that just runs at home and does nothing. i havent turned off the port.

then i see it has some stats of synchronet ircds
https://www.ircstats.org/servers

i'm not sure if sells its information.
the ip i got was 20.246.238.230 if you want to block it.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

irc scanner

<6589B2AE.4736.dove-internet@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=213&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#213

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 10:49:50 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: DaiTengu - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:49 UTC

Re: irc scanner
By: MRO to All on Mon Dec 25 2023 01:16 am

MR> so i got this scanner gathering info on my synchronet irc server
MR> that just runs at home and does nothing. i havent turned off the port.

MR> then i see it has some stats of synchronet ircds
MR> https://www.ircstats.org/servers

MR> i'm not sure if sells its information.
MR> the ip i got was 20.246.238.230 if you want to block it.

I doubt it sells the information, as it provides the raw json data for free.

I'm not sure how useful it would be for anyone. Databrokers care very little for outlying, obscure portions of the internet like BBSes and IRC.

DaiTengu

....Religions change; Beer and Wine remain.
---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

irc scanner

<658A640E.1653.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=214&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#214

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 23:26:38 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 05:26 UTC

Re: irc scanner
By: DaiTengu to MRO on Mon Dec 25 2023 10:49 am

> MR> i'm not sure if sells its information.
> MR> the ip i got was 20.246.238.230 if you want to block it.
>
> I doubt it sells the information, as it provides the raw json data for
> free.
>
> I'm not sure how useful it would be for anyone. Databrokers care very little
> for outlying, obscure portions of the internet like BBSes and IRC.
>
> DaiTengu

well it says it doesn't show the server name or the specifics. i know it collects specific data because i can see it on the log window. makes me wonder why it's pulling up the MOTD and other shit.

I don't trust any site. Even if they are a friendly site that won't stop them from being compromised and the data will get into the wrong hands.

Computer criminals love us. Look at how many people that don't know shit that are running open servers.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

irc scanner

<658CAB71.1068.dv-dove-int@shodanscore.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=219&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#219

From: android8675@VERT/SHODAN (Android8675)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:55:45 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Android8675 - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:55 UTC

> so i got this scanner gathering info on my synchronet irc server
> that just runs at home and does nothing. i havent turned off the port.

> then i see it has some stats of synchronet ircds
> https://www.ircstats.org/servers

So, I heard Usenet is in danger of being shut down? (though nothing to back
said claim), so maybe data like this could be useful in some future situation
where usage statistics might sway some Internet God's decision about something?

*shrug*

---
� Synchronet � Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com

irc scanner

<658D3644.1660.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=221&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#221

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Android8675
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 02:48:04 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 08:48 UTC

Re: irc scanner
By: Android8675 to MRO on Wed Dec 27 2023 02:55 pm

> > so i got this scanner gathering info on my synchronet irc server
> > that just runs at home and does nothing. i havent turned off the port.
>
> > then i see it has some stats of synchronet ircds
> > https://www.ircstats.org/servers
>
> So, I heard Usenet is in danger of being shut down? (though nothing to back
> said claim), so maybe data like this could be useful in some future
> situation where usage statistics might sway some Internet God's decision
> about something?

They say usenet is going to be shut down like every 5-10 years though.
it looks like usenet usage is increasing every year in regards to binaries.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

irc scanner

<658DE36F.4747.dove-internet@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=224&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#224

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Android8675
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 15:06:55 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: DaiTengu - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:06 UTC

Re: irc scanner* By: Android8675 to MRO on Wed Dec 27 2023 02:55 pm** An> So, I heard Usenet is in danger of being shut down? (though nothing to* An> back said claim), so maybe data like this could be useful in some future* An> situation where usage statistics might sway some Internet God's decision* An> about something? ** google groups, which is probably the largest public interface to text newsgroups, is ending its support for Usenet on Feb 22, 2024. **https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538***Binary groups are definitely still incredibly active. **DaiTengu**...It works better if you plug it in.*---* ■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com*