Portions not affecting outcome have been edited for broadcast.

dovenet / Internet / a keyword warrant has been upheld

SubjectAuthor
* a keyword warrant has been upheldOgg
+- a keyword warrant has been upheldpoindexter FORTRAN
`* a keyword warrant has been upheldArelor
 `* a keyword warrant has been upheldOgg
  +* a keyword warrant has been upheldJagossel
  |`- a keyword warrant has been upheldArelor
  `* a keyword warrant has been upheldArelor
   +- a keyword warrant has been upheldNightfox
   `- a keyword warrant has been upheldOgg

1
a keyword warrant has been upheld

<6535AC8C.5541.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=131&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#131

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: All
Subject: a keyword warrant has been upheld
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:12:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:12 UTC

Seems like a search for anything will now lead to suspicion for
anything convenient.

"Today, the Colorado Supreme Court became the first state
supreme court in the country to address the constitutionality
of a keyword warrant-a digital dragnet tool that allows law
enforcement to identify everyone who searched the internet for
a specific term or phrase. In a weak and ultimately confusing
opinion, the court upheld the warrant, finding the police
relied on it in good faith. EFF filed two amicus briefs and was
heavily involved in the case.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/10/colorado-supreme-court-upholds-keyword-search-warrant

--
../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.57
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld

<6537F0CA.5383.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=135&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#135

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Ogg
Subject: Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:45:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:45 UTC

-=> Ogg wrote to All <=-

Og> Seems like a search for anything will now lead to suspicion for
Og> anything convenient.

As long as it's in "good faith".

"I remember that time at Christmas when I was searching for a pair of black
crocs for you, yikes..."

.... Filters, the sublime elevation of the lifter and the filters
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<65395803.3527.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=139&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#139

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Ogg
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:01:39 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:01 UTC

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
By: Ogg to All on Sun Oct 22 2023 07:12 pm

> Seems like a search for anything will now lead to suspicion for
> anything convenient.

Don't trust the clearnet.

If you do, you deserve what you get.

Also, try to use search engine or search engine proxies located out of your
jurisdiction.

I think people is not aware of how much search engines can see of what we do,
nor the extent of the control they have over us. At this point, if Google does
not want you to find something, you won't find it, unless you belong to the
minority of people using something else. This is the reason why many useful
software projects that would undermine Google's dominance are completely
unknown. They are outright removed from search results.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<6539D946.5555.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=142&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#142

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: Arelor
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:12:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:12 UTC

Hello Arelor!

** On Wednesday 25.10.23 - 13:01, Arelor wrote to Ogg:

A> Don't trust the clearnet.

A> If you do, you deserve what you get.

A> Also, try to use search engine or search engine proxies located out of
A> your jurisdiction.

A> I think people is not aware of how much search engines can see of what we
A> do, nor the extent of the control they have over us. At this point, if
A> Google does not want you to find something, you won't find it, unless you
A> belong to the minority of people using something else. This is the reason
A> why many useful software projects that would undermine Google's dominance
A> are completely unknown. They are outright removed from search results.

I heard that DuckDuckGo was a better alternative to Google in
that regard. Is it true?

And there's more...

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-can-give-police-keyword-data-from-search-histories-2020-10

Documents from an arson attack linked to the R Kelly investigation show how Google hands 'keyword'
search data to police

Isobel Asher Hamilton

5-6 minutes

A court document relating to an alleged associate of singer
R Kelly show that police investigators sent something
called a "keyword warrant" to Google. Police were looking
into an arson attack on a car outside the home of a witness
in the R Kelly case. Google provided IP addresses of
everyone who'd searched for the arson victim's address
within a certain timeframe, which allowed police to
pinpoint a suspect. The arson victim is a witness involved
in the ongoing sexual racketeering case against R Kelly.
The suspect, Michael Williams, is a family relation of R
Kelly's former publicist. The warrant shows how police are
increasingly able to issue broad warrants to tech
companies, rather than focusing on individuals.

A newly unsealed court document related to an alleged associate
of singer R Kelly shows how Google can hand over data about
what people search to the police.

The court filing was submitted in July but unsealed on
Wednesday. It details a police investigation into an arson
attack on a car outside of the home of a witness involved in
the ongoing sexual racketeering case against R Kelly.

The court document showed that investigators linked Michael
Williams - a family relation of R Kelly's former publicist - to
the arson by sending something called a "keyword warrant" to
Google. Specifically, police asked Google for any data on
"users who had searched the address of the residence close in
time to the arson."

Google sent a list of IP addresses that had searched for the
arson victim's address. Two IP addresses were linked to
Williams' phone number, which police then used to track the
phone's location. They were then able to determine the device
was near the victim's car at the time of the arson attack.

Per CNET, investigators then obtained a warrant for Williams'
personal search history, which showed he'd searched for the
terms: "where can i buy a .50 custom machine gun," "witness
intimidation," and "countries that don't have extradition with
the United States."

Although requests for broad data sets to tech giants from
police are not new, this case lays out exactly how tech
companies co-operate with officers.

"We require a warrant and push to narrow the scope of these
particular demands when overly broad, including by objecting in
court when appropriate," Richard Salgado, Google's director of
law enforcement and information security, told CNET.

"These data demands represent less than 1% of total warrants
and a small fraction of the overall legal demands for user data
that we currently receive," he added.

The original warrant sent to Google has not yet been unsealed,
but Williams' attorney Todd Spodek said he planned to challenge
its legality, per CNET. "Think of the ramifications in the
future if everyone who searched something in the privacy of
their own home was subject to interviews by federal agents,"
Spodek said.

Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of the Surveillance
Technology Oversight Project, also told CNET he thought keyword
warrants could be in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

"When a court authorizes a data dump of every person who
searched for a specific term or address, it's likely
unconstitutional," said Cahn.

../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.57
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<653A7FAA.5121.dove-internet@dmine.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=143&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#143

From: jagossel@VERT/DMINE (Jagossel)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:03:06 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Jagossel - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:03 UTC

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
By: Ogg to Arelor on Wed Oct 25 2023 11:12 pm

> A> I think people is not aware of how much search engines can see of what w
> A> do, nor the extent of the control they have over us. At this point, if
> A> Google does not want you to find something, you won't find it, unless yo
> A> belong to the minority of people using something else. This is the reaso
> A> why many useful software projects that would undermine Google's dominanc
> A> are completely unknown. They are outright removed from search results.
>
> I heard that DuckDuckGo was a better alternative to Google in
> that regard. Is it true?

I am using Duck Duck Go and used StartPage in the past. I am not sure how the
search results stack up against Google's; I've ditched their search engine ages
ago. Both StartPage and Duck Duck Go claim to he a more "private" seach engine
that does not track you (color me skeptical, even cynical).
---
■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<653ADAF6.3534.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=146&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#146

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Ogg
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:32:38 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:32 UTC

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
By: Ogg to Arelor on Wed Oct 25 2023 11:12 pm

> I heard that DuckDuckGo was a better alternative to Google in
> that regard. Is it true?

Duckduckgo uses Bing as a backend, so if Bing is censored then so is
Duckduckgo. What Duckduckgo offers is to let you use Bing without having BIng
track your every move.

I suspect the best alternative nowadays is to find a searx engine (such as
searx.be or search.citadel.org). Searx is a metasearcher, so it uses LOTS of
search engines at the same time. If Google is censoring footage of certain
riots but some of the other search engines isn t, then a metasearcher has some
chance of showing it up anyway.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<653ADC07.3535.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=147&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#147

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Jagossel
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:37:11 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
By: Jagossel to Ogg on Thu Oct 26 2023 11:03 am

> I am using Duck Duck Go and used StartPage in the past. I am not sure how th > that does not track you (color me skeptical, even cynical).

Those may give you better conditions but they won t give you better results,
since they are using either Bing or Google as backends.

Not many independent search engines remain which maintain independent indexes.
Gygablast bit the dust recently so that leaves Mojeek (ok for English results
only). The remaining ones (such as wiby.me) are of limited use.

If you are desperate to find something censored in big western search engines
your best bet seems to be Yandex, but I dislike the interface so much.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<653B2047.5984.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=149&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#149

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:28:23 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 02:28 UTC

Re: a keyword warrant has been upheld
By: Arelor to Ogg on Thu Oct 26 2023 04:32 pm

Ar> Duckduckgo uses Bing as a backend, so if Bing is censored then so is
Ar> Duckduckgo. What Duckduckgo offers is to let you use Bing without having
Ar> BIng track your every move.

Interesting.. I had assumed Duckduckgo was its own independent search engine. I remember in 2011, hearing that Bing was using Google as a back-end and it was a bit of a surprise because Bing was supposed to be a new thing. I knew someone who joked, "Let me Google that with Bing."

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

a keyword warrant has been upheld

<653B2BB6.5562.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=150&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#150

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:16:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 02:16 UTC

Hello Arelor!

A> Duckduckgo uses Bing as a backend, so if Bing is censored then so is
A> Duckduckgo. What Duckduckgo offers is to let you use Bing without having
A> BIng track your every move.

I don't see a place to adjust for Bing, but the default
operation of DDG seems quite good.

A> I suspect the best alternative nowadays is to find a searx engine (such
A> as searx.be or search.citadel.org). Searx is a metasearcher, so it uses
A> LOTS of search engines at the same time. If Google is censoring footage of
A> certain riots but some of the other search engines isn t, then a
A> metasearcher has some chance of showing it up anyway.

Thx for the headsup on searx.be ..I like it so far.

We don't really need Google anymore.