Perhaps the world's second worst crime is boredom. The first is being a bore. -- Cecil Beaton

dovenet / Internet / Re: old houses and wifi

SubjectAuthor
* old houses and wififusion
`* old houses and wifipoindexter FORTRAN
 +* old houses and wifiPhigan
 |`* old houses and wifipoindexter FORTRAN
 | `* old houses and wifiArelor
 |  +* old houses and wifiNightfox
 |  |`- old houses and wifiArelor
 |  `* old houses and wifipoindexter FORTRAN
 |   `* old houses and wifiArelor
 |    `- old houses and wifipoindexter FORTRAN
 `* old houses and wifiOgg
  `- old houses and wifipoindexter FORTRAN

1
Re: old houses and wifi

<65315529.8875.dove-int@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=124&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#124

From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: old houses and wifi
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:11:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: fusion - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:11 UTC

On 19 Oct 2023, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...
pF> -=> Charles Blackburn wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
pF>
pF> CB> yea VLANs are great for segregation, but the problem is if you have
pF> CB> something that's multicast (eg HDHomerun in my case), they can't cros
pF> CB> subnets which sucks lol
pF>
pF> I have a homelab that I want to segment out, and I've always wanted to
pF> segment my IoT devices into their own network.
pF>
pF> For most home uses, VLANs are probably overkill.

yeah, depending on the devices i might firewall off their internet access.. or put them on a network with no internet at all.

i also have all the devices on my network labeled in iptraf.. just watch the lan station monitor for new stuff and if something can't be accounted for i get suspicious ;) that's how i found out one of my tvs was calling home even when it was off.. it's built in roku was pretty old so i ended up just taking out the wifi password on there.

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: old houses and wifi

<65357A54.5376.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=128&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#128

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: fusion
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:36:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:36 UTC

-=> fusion wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

fu> i also have all the devices on my network labeled in iptraf.. just
fu> watch the lan station monitor for new stuff and if something can't be
fu> accounted for i get suspicious ;) that's how i found out one of my tvs
fu> was calling home even when it was off.. it's built in roku was pretty
fu> old so i ended up just taking out the wifi password on there.

I bought a Synology router, it's got some nice security features -
although with the threat prevention tool, most of the attacks stopped
are attacks against the port they leave open for remote management.

It does have a nightly report that gets emailed that shows new devices
that connected in the last 24 hours - it's how I realized that iphones
and ipads by default randomize the MAC address.

.... The obstinate toy soldier becomes pliant.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: old houses and wifi

<6535D6A9.404.dove-internet@tacopronto.bbs.io>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=132&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#132

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:12:57 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Phigan - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:12 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: poindexter FORTRAN to fusion on Sun Oct 22 2023 09:36 am

> I bought a Synology router, it's got some nice security

This article is talking about a Synology diskstation and not a
router, but interesting nonetheless, I think...

https://securityaffairs.com/152645

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

old houses and wifi

<6535CD87.5545.dove-int@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=133&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#133

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: old houses and wifi
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:24:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:24 UTC

Hello pF!

pF> It does have a nightly report that gets emailed that shows
pF> new devices that connected in the last 24 hours - it's how
pF> I realized that iphones and ipads by default randomize the
pF> MAC address.

Does it ever reuse the previous randomized MAC addresses? I
also thought MAC addresses were supposed to be unique to each
device, so eventually they would run out or conflict with
another device elsewhere?

--- OpenXP 5.0.57
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: old houses and wifi

<6537F0CA.5382.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=134&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#134

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Ogg
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:37:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:37 UTC

-=> Ogg wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Og> Does it ever reuse the previous randomized MAC addresses? I
Og> also thought MAC addresses were supposed to be unique to each
Og> device, so eventually they would run out or conflict with
Og> another device elsewhere?

MACs are supposed to be unique. The first 3 hex pairs are assigned by
manufacturers, so if you pick a non-assigned set, you can pick a random
MAC and be pretty sure you're not going to run into a conflict.

I don't know if it changes the MAC every time you connect, or only if
you forget/connect for the first time.

.... The obstinate toy soldier becomes pliant.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: old houses and wifi

<6537F0CA.5384.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=136&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#136

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Phigan
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:48:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:48 UTC

-=> Phigan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

> I bought a Synology router, it's got some nice security

Ph> This article is talking about a Synology diskstation and not a
Ph> router, but interesting nonetheless, I think...

Ph> https://securityaffairs.com/152645

Sounds like it was patched in June 2023, but the article came out in
October?

Synology diskstations are nice. You can run an entire homelab with
email, web services, photo, file, Active directory, DNS and calendar
sharing and run containers all on top of a hardware NAS. If I were
running a small company and not wanting to use cloud services, they'd
rock.

I set up small businesses and startups back in the early 2000s, a
Synology would replace a lot of the work I did with Linux from scratch.
Nowadays, I think a company would have to have a really good reason not
to just go with Google Workspace or Microsoft 365.

.... Filters, the sublime elevation of the lifter and the filters
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: old houses and wifi

<653958BC.3528.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=140&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#140

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:04:44 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:04 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Phigan on Mon Oct 23 2023 06:48 am

> Nowadays, I think a company would have to have a really good reason not
> to just go with Google Workspace or Microsoft 365.

It is illegal to host your customer's data with an American company if you are
in Spain.

It is still a common practice, but they can crush you quite hard for this sortof thing and there are some ugly precendents, so I think I would rather
recomend to keep everything on-prem.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: old houses and wifi

<65396F3B.5976.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=141&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#141

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:40:43 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:40 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 25 2023 01:04 pm

>> Nowadays, I think a company would have to have a really good reason not to
>> just go with Google Workspace or Microsoft 365.

Ar> It is still a common practice, but they can crush you quite hard for this
Ar> sortof thing and there are some ugly precendents, so I think I would
Ar> rather recomend to keep everything on-prem.

Is the issue with the company being American, or where the data is located? Hosting services I've looked at typically have data centers in various locations around the world, and they can let you specify where you want the data hosted (they often say it's for speed and where you expect most of your users to be).

Or when you say "on-prem", do you mean within the offices of the company itself?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: old houses and wifi

<653A8ED8.5392.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=144&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#144

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 06:28:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:28 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ar> It is illegal to host your customer's data with an American company if
Ar> you are in Spain.

An American company, or an American company with your data hosted in
the US?

If truly the former, that would eliminate most if not all cloud
hosting. If the latter, Amazon and Google have the ability to host your
data exclusively in regions where GDPR is in effect.

.... YORGAMAK HAS ARRIVED AND WILL INITIATE DESTRUCTIMATION.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: old houses and wifi

<653AD9D4.3533.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=145&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#145

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Nightfox
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:27:48 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: Nightfox to Arelor on Wed Oct 25 2023 12:40 pm

> Is the issue with the company being American, or where the data is located? > s for speed and where you expect most of your users to be).

It is about where the data is located... mainly.

Any storage of private customer data sent out of the EU needs the aproval of
the president of the National Data Protection Agency. For a small business thatis just not gonna happen.

Still, even if stored in a datacenter located on an aproved country, you (and
them) are supposed to fill a pile of paperwork in which they agree to take
responsibility for so and so archive. Lots of hosting companies will tell you
to fuck off if you bring the matter up, it seems.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: old houses and wifi

<653ADD07.3536.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=148&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#148

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:41:27 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Arelor - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:41 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Thu Oct 26 2023 06:28 am

> An American company, or an American company with your data hosted in
> the US?

The data needs to reside on an aproved location. Who controls the location doesnot matter as long as they fill their paperwork. Most hosting companies I have
checked don not fill the paperwork.

It is soooo much easier in practice to send your customer data to some low costVPS in God-knows-what-country that usually that is what ends up happening
anyway, hahahahaha.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: old houses and wifi

<653D7D0F.5399.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=151&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#151

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:30:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ar> It is soooo much easier in practice to send your customer data to some
Ar> low costVPS in God-knows-what-country that usually that is what ends up
Ar> happening anyway, hahahahaha.

That being said, there are some interesting roll-your-own cloud office
suites out there. I thought there was a niche for pre-funding startups
at one point, but plain ol' G suite is hard to beat and it's what people
are used to.

My Synology NAS comes with an office, chat, calendar, mail app and file
storage -- again, you could set up a small office with needed storage
for a low cost - then back it up using Synology's cloud storage, AWS or
Azure.

.... Define an area as 'safe' and use it as an anchor