From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (Nelgin)
To: All
Subject: Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 01:33:57 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Nelgin - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 06:33 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:26:17 -0400
"The Lizard Master" (VERT/NITEEYES)
<VERT/NITEEYES!The.Lizard.Master@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
> Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae
> By: Nightfox to The Lizard Master on Sat Sep 09 2023 11:40 am

> > TL> Thanks for the reply. I had the same thought and looked up
> > TL> Dosemu and it seems like it hasn't been updated since 2014
> > TL> unless I was seeing something wrong..
> >
> > Do you mean the package on your system, or Dosemu itself? If
> > you're using Dosemu 1.x (I think 1.4?), I think that hasn't been
> > updated since then, but the newer Dosemu2 is under active
> > development.
>
> It also works just fine when I run it in DOSEMU, it doesn't when I
> call it from Synchronet. So it doesn't leave me with much of a way to
> figure it out.
>
> ---TLM
>
> ---
> � Synchronet � I filled this out to keep people from complaining...
[Box Dice]
1: Name Box Dice
2: Internal Code BOXDICE
3: Start-up Directory ../xtrn/boxdice
4: Command Line boxdice boxdice.cfg
5: Clean-up Command Line
6: Execution Cost None
7: Access Requirements
8: Execution Requirements
9: Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
10: I/O Method FOSSIL or UART
11: Native Executable/Script No
12: Use Shell or New Context Yes
13: Modify User Data No
14: Execute on Event No
15: Pause After Execution No
16: Disable Local Display No
17: BBS Drop File Type (R) GAP door.sys
18: Place Drop File In Node Directory
19: Time Options...
I think I had to make some changes. Specfically, make sure I/O method
is FOSSIL or UART, Native Executable/Script is set to No and Use Shell
or New Context is Yes. The rest shouldn't matter. With these 3 set,
dosemu2 definitely works with the latest synchronet.
--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae

<6515ABF6.448.dove-unix@mybbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=106&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#106

From: the.lizard.master@VERT/NITEEYES (The Lizard Master)
To: Nelgin
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:38:14 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: The Lizard Master - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:38 UTC

Re: Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae
By: Nelgin to All on Sun Sep 17 2023 01:33 am

> I think I had to make some changes. Specfically, make sure I/O method
> is FOSSIL or UART, Native Executable/Script is set to No and Use Shell
> or New Context is Yes. The rest shouldn't matter. With these 3 set,
> dosemu2 definitely works with the latest synchronet.

Great news! So I just decided to spin up a new Synch and installed dosemu2 to test. I followed the wiki, but I'm getting a response that dosemu2 can't find XTRNDIR. I assume this is a var setting somewhere I missed? Is there anyway to write this to the screen? Door.sys is getting written to the door directory so synch is finding and writing to it correctly in /xtrn/door.

I believe it's from the dosemu.ini update Nightfox posted:

cmd=/usr/bin/env $TERM HOME=$CTRLDIR QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=$NODEDIR DOSDRIVE_E=$XTRNDIR DOSDRIVE_F=$CTRLDIR DOSDRIVE_G=$DATADIR DOSDRIVE_H=$EXECDIR NODEDIR=$NODEDIR $DOSEMUBIN SHELL_LOADHIGH_DEFAULT=0 -d $NODEDIR -d $XTRNDIR -I"video { none }" $VIRTUALCONF -f$DOSEMUCONF -E$EXTBAT -o$NODEDIRdosemu_boot.log $EXTLOG
[stdio]
cmd=/usr/bin/env $TERM HOME=$CTRLDIR QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=$NODEDIR DOSDRIVE_E=$XTRNDIR DOSDRIVE_F=$CTRLDIR DOSDRIVE_G=$DATADIR DOSDRIVE_H=$EXECDIR NODEDIR=$NODEDIR $DOSEMUBIN SHELL_LOADHIGH_DEFAULT=0 -d $NODEDIR -d $XTRNDIR -I"video { none }" -I'keystroke "\n"' $VIRTUALCONF -f$DOSEMUCONF -E$EXTBAT -o$NODEDIRdosemu_boot.log $EXTLOG

Excited at the prospect! Much appreciated!

---TLM

---
■ Synchronet ■ I filled this out to keep people from complaining...

Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae

<6517290D.449.dove-unix@mybbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=107&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#107

From: the.lizard.master@VERT/NITEEYES (The Lizard Master)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:44:13 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: The Lizard Master - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:44 UTC

Re: Re: Several Doors not working after upgrae
By: The Lizard Master to Nelgin on Thu Sep 28 2023 12:38 pm

> Great news! So I just decided to spin up a new Synch and installed dosemu2
> to test. I followed the wiki, but I'm getting a response that dosemu2 can't
> find XTRNDIR. I assume this is a var setting somewhere I missed? Is there
> anyway to write this to the screen? Door.sys is getting written to the door
> directory so synch is finding and writing to it correctly in /xtrn/door.

So I took out the XTRNDIR var and put in the actual directory as a test. It runs dosemu2 and hangs. Which is fine to me I think because I feel like that means it's close and maybe just sitting at the console or something. Or maybe the fossil isn't kicking on. At very least it's not throwing an exception and bombing out.

Any other suggestions would be apprecaited. I did a fresh server set up, made sure I took the time to get the permissions right, etc. So I think I might just be down to a few settings here or there.

---TLM

---
■ Synchronet ■ I filled this out to keep people from complaining...