From: edwinljohnson@bellsouth.net (Edwin Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Shift Page Up Scroll
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 05:41:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edwin Johnson - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 05:41 UTC

In Linux 15.0 the shift-page up/down doesn't scroll any longer for
text now off screen in console mode. Works fine in xwin (I'm using
wmaker). I had read somewhere this was taken out or doesn't exist any
longer. Can anyone shed any light on this. It is very useful when in
console mode as administrator. Only thing I've come up with is to make
root bring up xwin.

....Edwin

Re: Shift Page Up Scroll

<su8cla$qo7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=980&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#980

From: jmccue@fuzzball.mhome.org (John McCue)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Shift Page Up Scroll
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:28:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:28 UTC

Edwin Johnson <edwinljohnson@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> In Linux 15.0 the shift-page up/down doesn't scroll any longer for
> text now off screen in console mode. Works fine in xwin (I'm using
> wmaker). I had read somewhere this was taken out or doesn't exist any
> longer. Can anyone shed any light on this. It is very useful when in
> console mode as administrator. Only thing I've come up with is to make
> root bring up xwin.
>
> ...Edwin

Yes, that is mentioned either in the 15.0 Change Log or it
was noted in LQ (Linux Questions), I forgot where I saw it
but it was from PV.

A change in the kernel dropped that feature. But you can
always use tmux (or screen) to get something similar.

John

Re: Shift Page Up Scroll

<su8m63$6tm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=982&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#982

From: elj@elj.org (Edwin Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:10:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edwin Johnson - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:10 UTC

On 2022-02-12, John McCue <jmccue@fuzzball.mhome.org> wrote:
> Yes, that is mentioned either in the 15.0 Change Log or it
> was noted in LQ (Linux Questions), I forgot where I saw it
> but it was from PV.
>
> A change in the kernel dropped that feature. But you can
> always use tmux (or screen) to get something similar.

Thanks, John, and I'll look into that. At this point rather a
nuisance when in console mode. (maybe nobody else uses that now! ha ha)

....Edwin

Re: Shift Page Up Scroll

<suaqd9$s92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=984&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#984

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:35:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:35 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:28:10 +0000, John McCue wrote:

> Edwin Johnson <edwinljohnson@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> In Linux 15.0 the shift-page up/down doesn't scroll any longer for text
>> now off screen in console mode.
>
> Yes, that is mentioned either in the 15.0 Change Log or it was noted in
> LQ (Linux Questions), I forgot where I saw it but it was from PV.

I found this confirmation from PV at linuxquestions:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/loss-of-console-
soft-scrollback-4175685132/#post6215800

> A change in the kernel dropped that feature. But you can always use
> tmux (or screen) to get something similar.

Here Linus is cited when the feature was removed:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6167719

regards Henrik

Re: Shift Page Up Scroll

<sub3e2$1p0d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=985&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#985

From: elj@elj.org (Edwin Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edwin Johnson - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:09 UTC

On 2022-02-13, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:

> Here Linus is cited when the feature was removed:
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6167719

Thanks, Henrik.

Thanks and rather enlightening from Linus. Guess that dates me and I'm
old school, using that a fair amount in console mode, especially when
building programs. ha ha John pointed out earlier that screen or tmux
might work. Never used either but played around with screen and think
it could be useful in this regard and will look into commands a bit
more.

....Edwin