Anything cut to length will be too short.

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

SubjectAuthor
* Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
+* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesAlexander Grotewohl
|`- Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
+* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesHenrik Carlqvist
|`* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
| +- Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesHenrik Carlqvist
| `* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesChris Elvidge
|  `* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
|   `* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesHenrik Carlqvist
|    `- Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
+* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesvyv
|`- Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
`* Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesRon
 +- Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packagesbad sector
 `- Deep-Slack ..Re: Rc3 1st impressionsbad sector

1
Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<eaCdnU1onodlWnf8nZ2dnUU7-IXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=888&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#888

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
 by: bad sector - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 14:49 UTC

I haven't tried any of the previous 15's but installed this
one fresh to give me a chance to tweak some XFCE
look & feel as part of my clinical 4-OS-insanity.

Whereas all my previous Slackware installs were limited
to packages on the install-dvd, this time I want to go a
few yards downfield seeing that major OS-selection
issues loom ahead with Slackware decidedly remaining
as a solid participant.

So while generally I see no life/death issues in this Rc3
the previously avoided traditional package-handling now
hits me right in the face. I'm gonna have to get into it but
the dozen or more missing packages (and their setup to
full operational status) scare me bigtime. I try to make all
my OS DT's share a similar layout (it gets confusing as it
is without taking off in the cardinal quadrants). These are
mostly the desaturated icons on my provisional Slackware
'deskbars' {link below}:

kFind
vBox
Nedit
kDiff3
GoogleEarth (+nVidia 04 & 05 drvrs!)
Sylpheed
xEyes
Filezilla
ZynAddSubFX
ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
Audacity
jack + qJackctl
rosegarden
qSynth
hydrogen
vlc
Sonic-Visualiser

+ their kids and rags

There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need
20 or more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step
how2 for at least the easiest one of the lot?

https://tinyurl.com/3rtadcwm

TIA

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<sseu6a$f6m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=889&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#889

From: alexm0n@gmail.com (Alexander Grotewohl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:31:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alexander Grotewohl - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:31 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:

> I haven't tried any of the previous 15's but installed this one fresh to
> give me a chance to tweak some XFCE look & feel as part of my clinical
> 4-OS-insanity.
>
> Whereas all my previous Slackware installs were limited to packages on
> the install-dvd, this time I want to go a few yards downfield seeing
> that major OS-selection issues loom ahead with Slackware decidedly
> remaining as a solid participant.
>
> So while generally I see no life/death issues in this Rc3 the previously
> avoided traditional package-handling now hits me right in the face. I'm
> gonna have to get into it but the dozen or more missing packages (and
> their setup to full operational status) scare me bigtime. I try to make
> all my OS DT's share a similar layout (it gets confusing as it is
> without taking off in the cardinal quadrants). These are mostly the
> desaturated icons on my provisional Slackware 'deskbars' {link below}:
>
> kFind vBox Nedit kDiff3 GoogleEarth (+nVidia 04 & 05 drvrs!)
> Sylpheed xEyes Filezilla ZynAddSubFX ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
> Audacity jack + qJackctl rosegarden qSynth hydrogen vlc Sonic-Visualiser
>
> + their kids and rags
>
> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
> least the easiest one of the lot?
>
> https://tinyurl.com/3rtadcwm
>
> TIA

The way I do it.. I use SBOPKG. Take Filezilla for example since I've
actually frequently used it.

When you run sbopkg, first sync.
Go down to search and type in first dependency: libfilezilla
Follow menus to select build and install.
Next do the same for wxGTK3.
Then lastly Filezilla.

Next time you run SBOPKG you check for updates. If it lists filezilla,
wxGTK3 or libfilezilla:
Allow it to add packages to queue.
Unselect Filezilla to allow the others to build/install first.
Then proceed to Filezilla. Always work backwards.

From my personal experience I almost always was updating VirtualBox,
Nvidia drivers, Filezilla and rarely anything else. The first two mostly
if there are Kernel updates.

KEEP A CHANGELOG. This has been incredibly useful for me. I just throw in
the date and time I installed something, why I did, and if it uses non-
default-Slackware packages, I list them. It's easy to search and find
exactly why something is there. Seeing an update in sbopkg for something?
Find out what it uses in the Changelog! :)

Alex

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<ssf004$gc3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=890&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#890

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:02:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:02 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:
> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
> least the easiest one of the lot?

The trick is, as Alexander wrote, to use a tool capable of tracking the
dependencies listed at slackbuilds.org. I haven't used sbopkg myself,
instead I use slpkg ( https://dslackw.gitlab.io/slpkg/ )

To install a package with all its dependencies, simply type:

slpkg -s sbo filezilla

regards Henrik

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<SbedncwWCZ_Z1nb8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=892&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#892

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:09:40 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 00:09 UTC

On 1/21/22 13:31, Alexander Grotewohl wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried any of the previous 15's but installed this one fresh to
>> give me a chance to tweak some XFCE look & feel as part of my clinical
>> 4-OS-insanity.
>>
>> Whereas all my previous Slackware installs were limited to packages on
>> the install-dvd, this time I want to go a few yards downfield seeing
>> that major OS-selection issues loom ahead with Slackware decidedly
>> remaining as a solid participant.
>>
>> So while generally I see no life/death issues in this Rc3 the previously
>> avoided traditional package-handling now hits me right in the face. I'm
>> gonna have to get into it but the dozen or more missing packages (and
>> their setup to full operational status) scare me bigtime. I try to make
>> all my OS DT's share a similar layout (it gets confusing as it is
>> without taking off in the cardinal quadrants). These are mostly the
>> desaturated icons on my provisional Slackware 'deskbars' {link below}:
>>
>> kFind vBox Nedit kDiff3 GoogleEarth (+nVidia 04 & 05 drvrs!)
>> Sylpheed xEyes Filezilla ZynAddSubFX ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
>> Audacity jack + qJackctl rosegarden qSynth hydrogen vlc Sonic-Visualiser
>>
>> + their kids and rags
>>
>> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
>> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
>> least the easiest one of the lot?
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/3rtadcwm
>>
>> TIA
>
> The way I do it.. I use SBOPKG. Take Filezilla for example since I've
> actually frequently used it.
>
> When you run sbopkg, first sync.
> Go down to search and type in first dependency: libfilezilla
> Follow menus to select build and install.
> Next do the same for wxGTK3.
> Then lastly Filezilla.

libfilezaila failed
xfve4-eyes-plugin failed
kdiff3 failed

BUT I got nedit & xnedit aboard which is good :-)

The objective at this time is just to get my feet wet

Tomorrow I might try Henrik's approach

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<a_OdnQ0NVrxM-Xb8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=894&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#894

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:58:40 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 01:58 UTC

On 1/21/22 14:02, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:
>> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
>> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
>> least the easiest one of the lot?
>
> The trick is, as Alexander wrote, to use a tool capable of tracking the
> dependencies listed at slackbuilds.org. I haven't used sbopkg myself,
> instead I use slpkg ( https://dslackw.gitlab.io/slpkg/ )
>
> To install a package with all its dependencies, simply type:
>
> slpkg -s sbo filezilla
>
> regards Henrik

Took three tries but I finally installed slpkg, it goes looking
for https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-15.0/
which doesn't exist (until release day I suppose)

and I don't know how to fool it into looking for 14.2 :-(
(just to kick the tires so to speak)

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<ssgppn$ne3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=897&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#897

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:28:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:28 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:58:40 -0500, bad sector wrote:
> it goes looking for
> https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-15.0/ which doesn't
> exist (until release day I suppose)

Sorry, I haven't tried current (upcoming 15) myself, I have only used
slpkg on 14.2 (and maybe also 14.1). Some googling says there is a file
/etc/slpkg/slpkg.conf where it is possible to set variables RELEASE and
SLACKWARE_VERSION. It seems necessary to run "slpkg update" after testing
setting those variables to new values. But again, I haven't tried this
myself.

Slpgk can be used to install packages from other sources than
slackbuilds.org, maybe the above variables only work on some other
sources. As far as I know, slackbuilds.org also only has packages for
released stable versions of Slackware, but I suppose that most packages
for 14.2 will work also when compiled for current.

regards Henrik

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<ssgu3s$qk7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=898&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#898

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:42:19 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:42 UTC

On 22/01/2022 01:58, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/21/22 14:02, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:
>>> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
>>> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
>>> least the easiest one of the lot?
>>
>> The trick is, as Alexander wrote, to use a tool capable of tracking the
>> dependencies listed at slackbuilds.org. I haven't used sbopkg myself,
>> instead I use slpkg ( https://dslackw.gitlab.io/slpkg/ )
>>
>> To install a package with all its dependencies, simply type:
>>
>> slpkg -s sbo filezilla
>>
>> regards Henrik
>
> Took three tries but I finally installed slpkg, it goes looking
> for https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-15.0/
> which doesn't exist (until release day I suppose)
>
> and I don't know how to fool it into looking for 14.2 :-(
> (just to kick the tires so to speak)

This works for me (/etc/slpkg/slpkg.conf):

# Set Slackware release "stable" or "current". Default is "stable".
RELEASE=current

# Set Slackware version if it's necessary. Default is "off".
SLACKWARE_VERSION=14.2

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<MfWdndm7xOluLnD8nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=901&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#901

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:00:09 -0500
 by: bad sector - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:00 UTC

On 01/22/2022 07:42 AM, Chris Elvidge wrote:

> This works for me (/etc/slpkg/slpkg.conf):
>

> # Set Slackware release "stable" or "current". Default is "stable".
> RELEASE=current
>

> # Set Slackware version if it's necessary. Default is "off".
> SLACKWARE_VERSION=14.2

I tried that too and had to create some folders under /tmp
but in the end I guess there were too many conflicts with
the installed system not being 14.2 after all.

So next I reinstalled a 14.2 but then I could not get slpkg
installed at all, and could't remember how I had done it
with 15-rc3. That ./install.sh isn't working

/slpkg.SlackBuild: line 81: /usr/bin/python3: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

I did get sbopkg installed and made some progress by installing some minor apps.

jack
jack_capture
hydrogen
that's 3 more than before :-)

xgce4-eyes-plugin (not in panel widget list)
slpkg, failed
lots of "gpg check failed"
Audacity wanted wxWidgets (not found)

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<ssmefp$eb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=909&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#909

From: vyv@dev.null (vyv)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 14:52:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vyv - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 14:52 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:

> I haven't tried any of the previous 15's but installed this one fresh to
> give me a chance to tweak some XFCE look & feel as part of my clinical
> 4-OS-insanity.
>
> Whereas all my previous Slackware installs were limited to packages on
> the install-dvd, this time I want to go a few yards downfield seeing
> that major OS-selection issues loom ahead with Slackware decidedly
> remaining as a solid participant.
>
> So while generally I see no life/death issues in this Rc3 the previously
> avoided traditional package-handling now hits me right in the face. I'm
> gonna have to get into it but the dozen or more missing packages (and
> their setup to full operational status) scare me bigtime. I try to make
> all my OS DT's share a similar layout (it gets confusing as it is
> without taking off in the cardinal quadrants). These are mostly the
> desaturated icons on my provisional Slackware 'deskbars' {link below}:
>
> kFind vBox Nedit kDiff3 GoogleEarth (+nVidia 04 & 05 drvrs!)
> Sylpheed xEyes Filezilla ZynAddSubFX ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
> Audacity jack + qJackctl rosegarden qSynth hydrogen vlc Sonic-Visualiser
>
> + their kids and rags
>
> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
> least the easiest one of the lot?
>
> https://tinyurl.com/3rtadcwm
>
> TIA

I'd like to suggest sbotools. At least it's worth a try. Takes care of
dependencies and works much like apt and its ilk. Make sure sbopkg is
installed and configured correctly, then use it to install sbotools, then
use sbotools to install anything else. Bonus points for installing sboui
which is a menu driven system that takes care of dependencies if you like
that sort of thing.

vyv

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<alpine.LNX.2.20.2201241440510.1825@sl.ronnet.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=911&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#911

From: colonel_hack@yahoo.com (Ron)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:22:09 -0700
 by: Ron - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:22 UTC

Not really answering your question but seeing

> Filezilla
> ZynAddSubFX
> ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
> Audacity
> jack + qJackctl
> rosegarden
> qSynth
> hydrogen
> vlc

on you list suggests to me you might want to look at

http://slackermedia.info/

and

http://studioware.org/

I did a partial install of slackermedia on a desktop mostly by hand or w/
sboui. One of the hard drives on that machine failed so I get to learn
about raid recovery :-) It will probably get 15.0 when it comes out.

Don't know if they will be updated for 15

also debian based avlinux:
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
(on my laptop, I like it quite well.)

and planet ccrma

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

which I don't use anymore but look at the list of programs every onest in
a while.

--Ron

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<u5KdnQ4pa7e7-3L8nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=912&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#912

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:53:24 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 02:53 UTC

On 1/24/22 09:52, vyv wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:49:27 -0500, bad sector wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried any of the previous 15's but installed this one fresh to
>> give me a chance to tweak some XFCE look & feel as part of my clinical
>> 4-OS-insanity.
>>
>> Whereas all my previous Slackware installs were limited to packages on
>> the install-dvd, this time I want to go a few yards downfield seeing
>> that major OS-selection issues loom ahead with Slackware decidedly
>> remaining as a solid participant.
>>
>> So while generally I see no life/death issues in this Rc3 the previously
>> avoided traditional package-handling now hits me right in the face. I'm
>> gonna have to get into it but the dozen or more missing packages (and
>> their setup to full operational status) scare me bigtime. I try to make
>> all my OS DT's share a similar layout (it gets confusing as it is
>> without taking off in the cardinal quadrants). These are mostly the
>> desaturated icons on my provisional Slackware 'deskbars' {link below}:
>>
>> kFind vBox Nedit kDiff3 GoogleEarth (+nVidia 04 & 05 drvrs!)
>> Sylpheed xEyes Filezilla ZynAddSubFX ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF)
>> Audacity jack + qJackctl rosegarden qSynth hydrogen vlc Sonic-Visualiser
>>
>> + their kids and rags
>>
>> There probably isn't a single one on this list that doesn't need 20 or
>> more dependencies. Could anyone point me to a step-by-step how2 for at
>> least the easiest one of the lot?
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/3rtadcwm
>>
>> TIA
>
> I'd like to suggest sbotools. At least it's worth a try. Takes care of
> dependencies and works much like apt and its ilk. Make sure sbopkg is
> installed and configured correctly, then use it to install sbotools, then
> use sbotools to install anything else. Bonus points for installing sboui
> which is a menu driven system that takes care of dependencies if you like
> that sort of thing.
>
> vyv

Noted, thanks. So many package tools and most don't work :-)))
My fault really, mixing unstable with 10 year old!

I spent the weekend getting used to some of them, got my fill
for a while, I think I'll take a break on spec that 15.0 will release
before I hit it again.

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<Xu-dneXTC4jq9HL8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=914&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#914

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:07:26 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 03:07 UTC

On 1/24/22 17:22, Ron wrote:

> on you list suggests to me you might want to look at
>
> http://slackermedia.info/
>
> and
>
> http://studioware.org/
>
> I did a partial install of slackermedia on a desktop mostly by hand
> or w/ sboui. One of the hard drives on that machine failed so I get
> to learn about raid recovery :-) It will probably get 15.0 when it
> comes out.
>
> Don't know if they will be updated for 15
>
> also debian based avlinux: http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
>
> (on my laptop, I like it quite well.)
> and planet ccrma

I had used AvLinux for a while, as well as the 'buntustudio, but during
2021 I decided to become a systemd-refugee so before I do anything
else I'm gonna get 3 new distros up and running properly. I'd BEEN
using Slackware & DeBian too but really only superficially, to change
the lighting in my study so to speak. This time I added Artix and DeVuan
so there's work to do (+ the guitar sessions).

Also I prefer not using larger studio 'package-bundles' as they tend to
take you away from the stock distro too much. For now I get my music
done on Suse with a few hickups but it has never been too friendly
with two things: sound studios and nedit! :-)

> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>

> which I don't use anymore but look at the list of programs every
> onest in a while.
>
> --Ron

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<sso6d9$s2b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=917&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#917

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:47:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:47 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:00:09 -0500, bad sector wrote:
> So next I reinstalled a 14.2 but then I could not get slpkg installed at
> all, and could't remember how I had done it with 15-rc3. That
> ./install.sh isn't working
>
> /slpkg.SlackBuild: line 81: /usr/bin/python3: cannot execute binary
> file: Exec format error

Somehow your python 3 installation seems broken. Where did you get /usr/
bin/python3 from? On my 14.2 system that file comes from a package built
by slpkg from slackbuilds.org:

fgrep usr/bin/python3 /var/log/packages/*
/var/log/packages/python3-3.7.2-x86_64-1_SBo:usr/bin/python3.7

(python3 is a symbolic link to python3.7)

regards Henrik

Re: Rc3 1st impressions ..other packages

<o6ydnXlatIPrgG38nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=919&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#919

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:55:32 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 15:55 UTC

On 1/25/22 01:47, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:00:09 -0500, bad sector wrote:
>> So next I reinstalled a 14.2 but then I could not get slpkg installed at
>> all, and could't remember how I had done it with 15-rc3. That
>> ./install.sh isn't working
>>
>> /slpkg.SlackBuild: line 81: /usr/bin/python3: cannot execute binary
>> file: Exec format error
>
> Somehow your python 3 installation seems broken. Where did you get /usr/
> bin/python3 from? On my 14.2 system that file comes from a package built
> by slpkg from slackbuilds.org:
>
> fgrep usr/bin/python3 /var/log/packages/*
> /var/log/packages/python3-3.7.2-x86_64-1_SBo:usr/bin/python3.7
>
> (python3 is a symbolic link to python3.7)
>
> regards Henrik

After deciding to try 15-rc3 I deleted my old 14.2 and even the
backup image as well as the distro iso. So I next had to download
the iso again and did a fresh install on a spare partition in my
desktop box. I 'might' have tinkered around with slpkg earlier
on this freshie, just can't remember. Moot point now as I'm back
on 15-rc3 for the stretch until release date. I do still have the 14.2
however seeing that for now I have no need for that partitiion.

Deep-Slack ..Re: Rc3 1st impressions

<6-KdnY7-Qb4FAG_8nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=924&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#924

Subject: Deep-Slack ..Re: Rc3 1st impressions
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:26:47 -0500
 by: bad sector - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:26 UTC

On 01/24/2022 05:22 PM, Ron wrote:
> Not really answering your question but seeing
>
>> Filezilla ZynAddSubFX
>> ZynAddSubFX-dssi (ZASF) Audacity
>> jack + qJackctl
>> rosegarden
>> qSynth hydrogen
>> vlc
>
> on you list suggests to me you might want to look at
>
> http://slackermedia.info/
>
> and
>
> http://studioware.org/
>
> I did a partial install of slackermedia on a desktop mostly by hand
> or w/ sboui. One of the hard drives on that machine failed so I get
> to learn about raid recovery :-) It will probably get 15.0 when it
> comes out.
>
> Don't know if they will be updated for 15
>
> also debian based avlinux: http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
> (on my laptop, I like it quite well.)
>
> and planet ccrma
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>
> which I don't use anymore but look at the list of programs every
> onest in a while.
>
> --Ron

Thanks, I just looked up sbotools on youtube and I never
thought I would run into such a huge selection of package
managing utis etc. Having been spoiled by Suse's single
and all-inclusive Yast, I'm gonna call the lot deep-slack :-))))