How can you work when the system's so crowded?

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

SubjectAuthor
* Any issues removing Midnight commanderClark Smith
+* Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderroot
|`- Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderThe Real Bev
+- Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderRich
+* Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderClark Smith
|`* Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderJim Diamond
| `- Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderClark Smith
`- Re: Any issues removing Midnight commanderAragorn

1
Any issues removing Midnight commander

<srungc$9h4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=868&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#868

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Any issues removing Midnight commander
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:59:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:59 UTC

I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen
often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.

Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<sruqiq$nf4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=870&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#870

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:51:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:51 UTC

Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
> invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen
> often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>
> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

Just rename it MC. I use it every once in a while to delete
strange files.

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<srusbk$4a0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=871&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#871

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:22:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:22 UTC

Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
> invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not
> happen often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.

In addition to root's suggestion, you can also setup a shell alias to
load for all your interactive shells to map "mc" to "mv":

alias mc=mv

does the job.

Put in the shell startup files (check manpage for files) to have it
loaded in all shells everywhere.

> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

Doubtful, as it is a terminal GUI file manager. You can also remove it
and see. If anything fails, download and reinstall the tgz from
slackware.com for the Slackware version you are running.

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<srutrr$17is$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=872&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#872

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:47:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:47 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:59:24 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets invoked
> when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen often,
> but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>
> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

Thanks, guys. In the end, I have decided to just remove it, for
it can be trivially installed if any issues arise.

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<20220115204816.3c1b8494@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=876&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#876

From: thorongil@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 20:48:16 +0100
 by: Aragorn - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:48 UTC

On 15.01.2022 at 14:59, Clark Smith scribbled:

> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
> invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not
> happen often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>
> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

The only one I can think of is Midnight Commander's built-in editor,
"mcedit". Other than that nothing should depend on it.

Itself, it does of course depend on other things, such as ncurses. But
Slackware doesn't do dependency checking either way, so removing
Midnight Commander won't remove ncurses — and that's a good thing,
because you'll want to hold on to that.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<ss4bhj$7r1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=885&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#885

From: JimDiamond@ns.sympatico.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:12:02 -0400
 by: Jim Diamond - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:12 UTC

On 2022-01-15 at 12:47 AST, Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:59:24 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>
>> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets invoked
>> when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen often,
>> but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>>
>> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
>> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?
>
> Thanks, guys. In the end, I have decided to just remove it, for
> it can be trivially installed if any issues arise.

Like you, I have no use for it and (in the past) occasionally started
it up accidentally just like you.

I deleted it long ago and I have not seen any negative effect of doing
so. Thus I expect you will be fine.

Jim

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<ss4fq3$eci$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=886&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#886

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:24:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:24 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:12:02 -0400, Jim Diamond wrote:

> On 2022-01-15 at 12:47 AST, Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:59:24 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets invoked
>>> when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen
>>> often,
>>> but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>>>
>>> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
>>> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?
>>
>> Thanks, guys. In the end, I have decided to just remove it, for
>> it can be trivially installed if any issues arise.
>
> Like you, I have no use for it and (in the past) occasionally started it
> up accidentally just like you.
>
> I deleted it long ago and I have not seen any negative effect of doing
> so. Thus I expect you will be fine.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Re: Any issues removing Midnight commander

<ssga06$93u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=896&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#896

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 22:59:17 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:59 UTC

On 01/15/2022 07:51 AM, root wrote:
> Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
>> invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen
>> often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.
>>
>> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
>> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?
>
> Just rename it MC. I use it every once in a while to delete
> strange files.

You too?

--
Cheers, Bev