You canna change the laws of physics, Captain; I've got to have thirty minutes!

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

SubjectAuthor
* Mouse and keyboard lagStefan Kaintoch
+* Re: Mouse and keyboard lagStefan Kaintoch
|`* Re: Mouse and keyboard lagTheo
| `- Re: Mouse and keyboard lagStefan Kaintoch
`* Re: Mouse and keyboard lagThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: Mouse and keyboard lagStefan Kaintoch
  `- Re: Mouse and keyboard lagThe Natural Philosopher

1
Mouse and keyboard lag

<slrnuipkbu.rbih.stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7590&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7590

From: stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de (Stefan Kaintoch)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Mouse and keyboard lag
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 08:00:30 +0200
 by: Stefan Kaintoch - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 06:00 UTC

Hi *.*,
I've got a Compute Modul 4 (2GB RAM) on a Waveshare CM4-IO-BASE-A board
(https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/CM4-IO-BASE-A).
I installed a fresh Raspberry OS (bookworm) on it.

Keyboard and mouse are wireless Logitech MK-250 connected with a
dongle to USB.

When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
(usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for that slow reaction?
Or how I can find out?

One more thing: I use a 4K LCD display connected via HDMI. The graphics
driver is wayland. But the same issue occurs using X11.

TIA, Stefan

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<slrnuipo6m.sf2r.stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7591&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7591

From: stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de (Stefan Kaintoch)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Mouse and keyboard lag
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 09:05:58 +0200
 by: Stefan Kaintoch - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 07:05 UTC

Stefan Kaintoch <stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de> wrote:
> When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
> (usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
> console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
> fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.

I fixed the mouse issue following https://peppe8o.com/fixing-slow-mouse-with-raspberry-pi-os/
(append usbhid.mousepoll=0 to /boot/cmdline.txt).
But the keyboard issue still needs a solution.

Bye, Stefan

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<ugit0c$19ra2$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7592&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7592

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 09:41:48 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 08:41 UTC

On 16/10/2023 07:00, Stefan Kaintoch wrote:
> Hi *.*,
> I've got a Compute Modul 4 (2GB RAM) on a Waveshare CM4-IO-BASE-A board
> (https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/CM4-IO-BASE-A).
> I installed a fresh Raspberry OS (bookworm) on it.
>
> Keyboard and mouse are wireless Logitech MK-250 connected with a
> dongle to USB.
>
> When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
> (usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
> console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
> fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.

FWIW I've noticed this on my *86 laptop as well.
Trying to log in a freshly booted Mint 20 the password cannot
immediately be entered.

Since its a boot issue I naturally blame Poettering and systemd.

> Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for that slow reaction?
> Or how I can find out?
>
> One more thing: I use a 4K LCD display connected via HDMI. The graphics
> driver is wayland. But the same issue occurs using X11.
>
> TIA, Stefan

fully understood.

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<s3t*ty0sz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7593&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7593

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 16 Oct 2023 12:02:38 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC

Stefan Kaintoch <stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de> wrote:
> Stefan Kaintoch <stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de> wrote:
> > When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
> > (usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
> > console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
> > fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.
>
> I fixed the mouse issue following
> https://peppe8o.com/fixing-slow-mouse-with-raspberry-pi-os/ (append
> usbhid.mousepoll=0 to /boot/cmdline.txt). But the keyboard issue still
> needs a solution.

Try usbhib.kbpoll=0 (or some other low number)
from
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/patch/20180321162825.2709-1-filipalac@gmail.com/

(It's long been a problem with erratic keyboard behaviour on some keyboards
due to the Pi's dwc2 USB 2 controller. I guess on the CM4 you don't have a USB 3
controller which should be better)

Theo

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<slrnuiq3fb.uqlf.stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7595&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7595

From: stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de (Stefan Kaintoch)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:18:19 +0200
 by: Stefan Kaintoch - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 10:18 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 07:00, Stefan Kaintoch wrote:
>> When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
>> (usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
>> console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
>> fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.
>>
> FWIW I've noticed this on my *86 laptop as well.
> Trying to log in a freshly booted Mint 20 the password cannot
> immediately be entered.
>
> Since its a boot issue I naturally blame Poettering and systemd.

I'm tempted to blame Poettering, too ;-)

But this cannot be the reason. Slow keyboard reaction happens only on
GUI, not on console or ssh. But it would happen on both if systemd was
the reason. Furthermore it happens *all the time*, even after login.

Bye, Stefan

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<ugja30$1dar1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7596&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7596

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:25:04 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:25 UTC

On 16/10/2023 11:18, Stefan Kaintoch wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 16/10/2023 07:00, Stefan Kaintoch wrote:
>>> When the GUI is started OS reacts very slowly with a huge lag
>>> (usually >3s) to mouse and keyboard. This happens only in the GUI. On a
>>> console or via ssh reaction to mouse and keyboard is as expected, IOW:
>>> fast. This happens even if CPU is idleing.
>>>
>> FWIW I've noticed this on my *86 laptop as well.
>> Trying to log in a freshly booted Mint 20 the password cannot
>> immediately be entered.
>>
>> Since its a boot issue I naturally blame Poettering and systemd.
>
> I'm tempted to blame Poettering, too ;-)
>
> But this cannot be the reason. Slow keyboard reaction happens only on
> GUI, not on console or ssh. But it would happen on both if systemd was
> the reason. Furthermore it happens *all the time*, even after login.

Ah no, in my case it is totally unresponsive GUI for a few seconds.

It may be part of the wifi/network/trying to NFS mount out of order issue.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

<slrnuiqamh.105vl.stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7597&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7597

From: stefan@ratri.rincewind.kaintoch.de (Stefan Kaintoch)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:21:37 +0200
 by: Stefan Kaintoch - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:21 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Try usbhib.kbpoll=0 (or some other low number)
> from
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/patch/20180321162825.2709-1-filipalac@gmail.com/
>
> (It's long been a problem with erratic keyboard behaviour on some keyboards
> due to the Pi's dwc2 USB 2 controller. I guess on the CM4 you don't have a USB 3
> controller which should be better)

That worked. Now the keyboard is usable. Thanks a lot.

But I watched another strange effect. When the mouse pointer is moved
over the screen's background it sometimes stops. When moved over a black
window (e.g. a shell window) it moves smoothly.

I guess this issue is related to saving and restoring the background. Do
you have any advice to fix this issue?

Bye, Stefan