From: nospam.Louis.Northmore@f8.n250.z2.fidonet.org (Louis Northmore)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: pi5!
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 23:21:42 +1300
 by: Louis Northmore - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:21 UTC

If you're a Pi lover you're going ot love the pi5! It's 2-3 times faster than a
pi4 which is super nice.
Looking forward to upgrading my pi nodes in my cluster and checking out the
performance.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

Louis

Re: pi5!

<koscb0F4h7eU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7543&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7543

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: pi5!
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:10:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 08:10 UTC

Louis Northmore wrote:

> If you're a Pi lover you're going ot love the pi5!

Is your calendar stuck on September? :-P

Re: pi5!

<ugaug1$32ds2$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7544&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7544

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:18:09 +0100
 by: nev young - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 08:18 UTC

On 12/10/2023 11:21, Louis Northmore wrote:
> If you're a Pi lover you're going ot love the pi5! It's 2-3 times faster than a
> pi4 which is super nice.
> Looking forward to upgrading my pi nodes in my cluster and checking out the
> performance.
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

A nice evolution of the Pi.

I would rather see a Pi that will run for 7 days from 4xAA.

I accept most folk want faster and faster still, but I would like
battery powered and long time running for my wild-life cameras.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: pi5!

<ugb8st$34vit$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7547&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7547

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:15:41 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:15 UTC

On 13/10/2023 09:18, nev young wrote:
> On 12/10/2023 11:21, Louis Northmore wrote:
>> If you're a Pi lover you're going ot love the pi5! It's 2-3 times
>> faster than a
>> pi4 which is super nice.
>> Looking forward to upgrading my pi nodes in my cluster and checking
>> out the
>> performance.
>>
>> https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/
>>

> A nice evolution of the Pi.
>
> I would rather see a Pi that will run for 7 days from 4xAA.

I am building one that I hope will run for a year from 3xAA

> I accept most folk want faster and faster still, but I would like
> battery powered and long time running for my wild-life cameras.

Cameras eat watts. Invest in serious LIPO packs or lead acid batteries

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Re: pi5!

<86wmvqsgy8.fsf@building-m.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7557&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7557

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:03:11 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:03 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:

>> A nice evolution of the Pi.
>> I would rather see a Pi that will run for 7 days from 4xAA.
>>
> I am building one that I hope will run for a year from 3xAA

A truly impressive goal, given that some of the more seriously
power-efficient microcontrollers I can find draw 2.4mA when in
operation, which would give you about 145 days of runtime on 3 2850mAh
alkaline AA batteries. They claim that power consumption scales with
clock rate, so if you halved the clock rate to 16MHz you'd get almost a
year.

Interested to hear your plans.

john

Re: pi5!

<ugbrem$39gl1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7559&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7559

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 17:32:21 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:32 UTC

On 13/10/2023 16:03, John wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>>> A nice evolution of the Pi.
>>> I would rather see a Pi that will run for 7 days from 4xAA.
>>>
>> I am building one that I hope will run for a year from 3xAA
>>

> A truly impressive goal, given that some of the more seriously
> power-efficient microcontrollers I can find draw 2.4mA when in
> operation, which would give you about 145 days of runtime on 3 2850mAh
> alkaline AA batteries. They claim that power consumption scales with
> clock rate, so if you halved the clock rate to 16MHz you'd get almost a
> year.
>
> Interested to hear your plans.

Oh its very simple. I tried to do it old school with an analogue timer
but couldn't get it done simply due to unavailability of low leakage
large value capacitors so I looked at uber low current draw timers, but
they were all surface mount and I cant do that technology due to old
eyes and fingers, but I found a board that does exactly what I want made
by sparkfun

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15353

With that surface mount timer chip on it.

The theory is the timer times out, the pico wakes up, measures oil level
with a burst of ultrasonics. checks the battery level, connects to my
wifi, shoves a small TCP/IP packet to the pi zero server and once it
gets an 'Ack' flips a GPIO pin which goes to the timer board and shuts
down the pico for an hour or so.

I reckon a minute an hour of about 100mA consumption so an average draw
of around 1.6mA times 24x365 is 14Ah. Which isn't great, so I am hoping
that it can read data and connect/send in less time than that . The big
problem is the oil tank is remote and the existing wireless device
can't do the range to a sensible place for the receiver, but I can put a
wifi hotspot *almost* close enough. And up high if needs be.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if it just connected every 3-4 hours
or every day - oil levels move slowly, but the largest preset delay the
chipset will do is 2 hours.
The main issue the pico has is sending wifi data, where it can spike
(allegedly) to 150mA, but while running its not much more than 50mA. But
then the ultrasonic transducer will take a bit to do its 'chirp'. So
its all very unknown.

The current device often takes a day to respond to a recently filled
tank. It runs off a 2032 lithium battery I think, button cell anyway.
That lasts about 18 months

So its all a bit 'how long will the battery last' until I've built it,
and that's why the voltage monitor is going in. I will probably set the
server up to send me an email on either low battery or low oil!

I don't mind changing batteries twice a year if I have to, as long as I
can do it before winter sets in!

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.