From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: sudo -i warning.
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:15:54 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:15 UTC

When I type sudo -i on my Rpi it works but I get the following
warning..

"sudo: Unable to resolve host intranet-pihole2: Name or service not
known."

Anyone give a clue why I get that?

Yes this is a spare machine used as a backup for my pihole and
intranet pi.

Thanks.

Bob.

Re: sudo -i warning.

<ueubl9$2f4rp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7377&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7377

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: sudo -i warning.
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:26:49 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:26 UTC

On 26/09/2023 10:15, Bob Latham wrote:
> When I type sudo -i on my Rpi it works but I get the following
> warning..
>
> "sudo: Unable to resolve host intranet-pihole2: Name or service not
> known."
>
> Anyone give a clue why I get that?
>
> Yes this is a spare machine used as a backup for my pihole and
> intranet pi.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob.

Look in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
Does that name exist?

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NEVER WIN AN EMMY

Re: sudo -i warning.

<5ae9f2e218bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7379&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7379

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:37:35 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:37 UTC

In article <ueubl9$2f4rp$1@dont-email.me>,
Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
> On 26/09/2023 10:15, Bob Latham wrote:
> > When I type sudo -i on my Rpi it works but I get the following
> > warning..
> >
> > "sudo: Unable to resolve host intranet-pihole2: Name or service not
> > known."
> >
> > Anyone give a clue why I get that?
> >
> > Yes this is a spare machine used as a backup for my pihole and
> > intranet pi.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Bob.
> >

> Look in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
> Does that name exist?

Thanks.

Yes. It exists in /etc/hostname but not in /etc/hosts.

It is the network name of the machine it is running on.

I presume nasty things will happen if I delete it?

Bob.

Re: sudo -i warning.

<ueumtt$2h6ld$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7381&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7381

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:39:09 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:39 UTC

On 26/09/2023 13:37, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ueubl9$2f4rp$1@dont-email.me>,
> Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
>> On 26/09/2023 10:15, Bob Latham wrote:
>>> When I type sudo -i on my Rpi it works but I get the following
>>> warning..
>>>
>>> "sudo: Unable to resolve host intranet-pihole2: Name or service not
>>> known."
>>>
>>> Anyone give a clue why I get that?
>>>
>>> Yes this is a spare machine used as a backup for my pihole and
>>> intranet pi.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Bob.
>>>

>> Look in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
>> Does that name exist?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Yes. It exists in /etc/hostname but not in /etc/hosts.
>
> It is the network name of the machine it is running on.
>
> I presume nasty things will happen if I delete it?
>
> Bob.

I think they already have

My /etc/host looks like this

$ more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
127.0.1.1 heating-controller

You need to make yours look similar but with 'heating-controller'
replaced with 'intranet-pihole'.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Re: sudo -i warning.

<5ae9fdfe1fbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7384&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7384

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:38:57 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:38 UTC

In article <ueumtt$2h6ld$2@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/09/2023 13:37, Bob Latham wrote:
> > In article <ueubl9$2f4rp$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:

> >> Look in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
> >> Does that name exist?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Yes. It exists in /etc/hostname but not in /etc/hosts.
> >
> > It is the network name of the machine it is running on.
> >
> > I presume nasty things will happen if I delete it?
> >
> > Bob.
> >
> I think they already have

> My /etc/host looks like this

> $ more /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> 127.0.1.1 heating-controller

> You need to make yours look similar but with 'heating-controller'
> replaced with 'intranet-pihole'.

Oh right, that's interesting. The /etc/host file had much the same as
yours except the network name was original and so when I changed the
name using raspi-config last week, it failed to change the name there
but it did change on the network.

Anyway just put it right and it has fixed the issue.

Thanks TNP & Chris.

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: sudo -i warning.

<YuqcnbUfJOUKs4r4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7437&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7437

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 21:07:50 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
 by: NY - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 20:07 UTC

On 26/09/2023 15:38, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ueumtt$2h6ld$2@dont-email.me>,
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 26/09/2023 13:37, Bob Latham wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Yes. It exists in /etc/hostname but not in /etc/hosts.
>>>
>>> It is the network name of the machine it is running on.
>>>
>>> I presume nasty things will happen if I delete it?
>>>
>>> Bob.
>>>
>> I think they already have
>
>> My /etc/host looks like this
>
>> $ more /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
>> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
>> 127.0.1.1 heating-controller
>
>> You need to make yours look similar but with 'heating-controller'
>> replaced with 'intranet-pihole'.
>
> Oh right, that's interesting. The /etc/host file had much the same as
> yours except the network name was original and so when I changed the
> name using raspi-config last week, it failed to change the name there
> but it did change on the network.
>
> Anyway just put it right and it has fixed the issue.

Is it necessary to have entries in /etc/hosts for any computers that the
Pi needs to talk to? On a bog-standard home network (TPlink router with
DHCP enabled) a Pi can ping other Linux or Windows PCs by their
hostname: the router handles the name-to-IP resolution. That doesn't
work for Windows PCs - a Pi can ping a Windows computer, but a Windows
PC cannot *reliably* ping a Pi by hostname. But that is solved by using
appending ".local" to the Pi's hostname when accessing from Windows.

When I refer to pinging, I include all other things like Windows
accessing a SAMBA shared drive on the Pi (*), or a browser on Windows
accessing an HTTP server on the Pi. So I changed "http://pi:1234" to
"http://pi.local:1234" in any browser bookmarks and it worked fine.
Easier than having to use IP addresses in URLs.

(*) OK, that uses NetBIOS so the name query mechanism is different to a
simple ping or a URL reference.