You cannot have a science without measurement. -- R. W. Hamming

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

SubjectAuthor
* zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
+* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")Eli the Bearded
|`* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
| `* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")Henrik Carlqvist
|  `- Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
`* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")Sylvain Robitaille
 `* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
  `* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
   `* Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh
    `- Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")John Forkosh

1
zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfimej$odl$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=582&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#582

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:12:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:12 UTC

Anybody successfully install >>and run<<
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/zoom-linux/
I'd tried installing it on a two-year-old slack64-current that
hadn't been updated, and it failed due to missing qt libraries.
So, given the recent 15.0rc1, I downloaded and installed that.
No problems. Then installed zoom-linux. Apparently no problems.
Then tried running it. Problems. It immediately announced an
"unexpected crash" in a separate pop-up window, asking for
a brief description to be sent to zoom. But I had nothing to say.
And my ~.zoom/logs/ directory had some .dmp files that
I couldn't make any sense of. Anybody have and fix similar
problems with zoom-linux, or can suggest a way to trace the
problem?
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<eli$2108181405@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=586&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#586

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 18:05:22 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 18:05 UTC

In alt.os.linux.slackware, John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> Anybody successfully install >>and run<<
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/zoom-linux/
> I'd tried installing it on a two-year-old slack64-current that
> hadn't been updated, and it failed due to missing qt libraries.
> So, given the recent 15.0rc1, I downloaded and installed that.
> No problems. Then installed zoom-linux. Apparently no problems.
> Then tried running it. Problems. It immediately announced an
> "unexpected crash" in a separate pop-up window, asking for
> a brief description to be sent to zoom. But I had nothing to say.
> And my ~.zoom/logs/ directory had some .dmp files that

I've had a lot of problems with Zoom. On $WORK bog standard Ubuntu
20.04LTS it just works, or it did while $WORK was still using Zoom[*],
but I never got it to run on my own systems of various installs, and
even had about three months of back and forth with a support tech
about it. I think, but never confirmed, that it was a window manager
issue for me.

> I couldn't make any sense of. Anybody have and fix similar
> problems with zoom-linux, or can suggest a way to trace the
> problem?

I'd try strace, but likely what you have is slightly different versions
of libraries it needs, and that won't be easy to sort out.

[*] That ended about five months ago in favor of the less easy to
use Cisco brand video conferencing software.

Elijah
------
ended up using Zoom on his Android phone as a work around for a while

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<slrnshr1ce.m6a.syl@elvira.therockgarden.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=592&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#592

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: syl@encs.concordia.ca (Sylvain Robitaille)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:11:26 GMT
 by: Sylvain Robitaille - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:11 UTC

On 2021-08-18, John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:

> Anybody successfully install >>and run<<
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/zoom-linux/

In case it helps, yes, though using an older zoom client source:

https://zoom.us/client/5.4.53391.1108/zoom-1_x86_64.tar.xz

.... and a somewhat customized slackbuild script (I keep locally
installed software on a partition separate from the OS, for example),
but it should work with the slackbuilds.org script. This is on a
stock-ish (read: "no qt5", thus the perhaps ancient by zoom standards
zoom version) Slackware64-14.2 system.

I hope this helps ...

Sylvain Robitaille syl@encs.concordia.ca
Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfkeh7$8mn$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=595&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#595

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:09:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:09 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
>> Anybody successfully install >>and run<<
>> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/zoom-linux/
>> I'd tried installing it on a two-year-old slack64-current that
>> hadn't been updated, and it failed due to missing qt libraries.
>> So, given the recent 15.0rc1, I downloaded and installed that.
>> No problems. Then installed zoom-linux. Apparently no problems.
>> Then tried running it. Problems. It immediately announced an
>> "unexpected crash" in a separate pop-up window, asking for
>> a brief description to be sent to zoom. But I had nothing to say.
>> And my ~.zoom/logs/ directory had some .dmp files that
>
> I've had a lot of problems with Zoom. On $WORK bog standard Ubuntu
> 20.04LTS it just works, or it did while $WORK was still using Zoom[*],
> but I never got it to run on my own systems of various installs, and
> even had about three months of back and forth with a support tech
> about it. I think, but never confirmed, that it was a window manager
> issue for me.
>
>> I couldn't make any sense of. Anybody have and fix similar
>> problems with zoom-linux, or can suggest a way to trace the
>> problem?
>
> I'd try strace, but likely what you have is slightly different versions
> of libraries it needs, and that won't be easy to sort out.
>
> [*] That ended about five months ago in favor of the less easy to
> use Cisco brand video conferencing software.
>
> Elijah
> ended up using Zoom on his Android phone as a work around for a while

Re "ended up": yeah, since posting that I pretty much gave up,
and just installed zoom on the win10 partition of my dual-boot
10.1" laptop (a Teclast f5r). And that indeed seems to "just work",
as typical for windows stuff. Would still prefer getting it to work
with linux, but don't want to beat my head against the wall trying,
like you seem to have done. (Didn't even really want zoom in the
first place, but got a "jury duty" letter, with instructions that
some of that can be done virtually.)
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfkfv3$77d$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=596&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#596

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:34:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:34 UTC

Sylvain Robitaille <syl@encs.concordia.ca> wrote:
> John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody successfully install >>and run<<
>> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/zoom-linux/
>
> In case it helps, yes, though using an older zoom client source:
>
> https://zoom.us/client/5.4.53391.1108/zoom-1_x86_64.tar.xz

Thanks, Sylvain, downloaded the tarball, but haven't had a chance
to play with it yet. Actually, got zoom running on the win10 partition
of my dual-boot 10.1" laptop (a Teclast f5r), where I only need it
for some virtual jury duty requirements. But I'd prefer linux if
possible and will try the older source, if just to see what happens.

> ... and a somewhat customized slackbuild script (I keep locally
> installed software on a partition separate from the OS, for example),
> but it should work with the slackbuilds.org script. This is on a
> stock-ish (read: "no qt5", thus the perhaps ancient by zoom standards
> zoom version) Slackware64-14.2 system.
>
> I hope this helps ...
Sylvain Robitaille

Yeah, very helpful, thanks. By the way, I did get the slackbuilds
zoom-linux source running without a hiccup on my desktop, with a
slack64-current downloaded on 12/25/20 and not upgraded since
(it had originally failed on the linux partition of my laptop
running slack64-current downloaded 9/1/19 and not upgraded since).
But I hadn't tried that before because my desktop doesn't have
a camera or microphone, so it's useless for zoom. And maybe it's
only running because without a camera/mike to connect to, the code
causing the crash isn't executed. I was considering buying a cheap
usb camera/mike for the desktop after seeing zoom-linux run on it,
but then re-considered after seeing it fail so miserably on my
laptop. (And the desktop has no windows partition.)
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfksdt$3s0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=597&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#597

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 06:06:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 06:06 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:09:43 +0000, John Forkosh wrote:
> (Didn't even really want zoom in the first place, but got a "jury duty"
> letter, with instructions that some of that can be done virtually.)

Usually you cant't choose video conferencing software as a participant,
but during the pandemic I have had the opportunity to try a number of
video conferencing systems using only the firefox browser in Slacware
14.2. In my experience I would rate those systems from best to worst:

1) Jitsi (works great with webcam, sharing desktop and youtube videos in
browser)

2) Google meet (almost as good as jitsi)

3) Zoom (I was able to connect with webcam to the meeting, but to also
get sound I needed to call in with my mobile phone)

4) Microsoft Teams (would require installation of a binary client program
or some other browser like Microsoft Edge)

5) Microsoft Skype/Lync (does not work in a browser at all)

regards Henrik

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfl49s$1k6$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=601&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#601

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:21:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:21 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> John Forkosh wrote:
>> (Didn't even really want zoom in the first place, but got a "jury duty"
>> letter, with instructions that some of that can be done virtually.)
>
> Usually you can't choose video conferencing software as a participant,
> but during the pandemic I have had the opportunity to try a number of
> video conferencing systems using only the firefox browser in Slackware
> 14.2. In my experience I would rate those systems from best to worst:
>
> 1) Jitsi (works great with webcam, sharing desktop and youtube videos in
> browser)
>
> 2) Google meet (almost as good as jitsi)
>
> 3) Zoom (I was able to connect with webcam to the meeting, but to also
> get sound I needed to call in with my mobile phone)
>
> 4) Microsoft Teams (would require installation of a binary client program
> or some other browser like Microsoft Edge)
>
> 5) Microsoft Skype/Lync (does not work in a browser at all)
>
> regards Henrik

Thanks for the additional conferencing recommendations,
but as you can see from
https://www.njcourts.gov/jurors/zoominstruc.html
they're using zoom and want you (i.e., me) to use it, too.
(And the physical snailmail letter I originally received
suggested that some of the additional proceedings might also be
virtual. They'll apparently be mailing me "further instructions"
about that at some point, but didn't provide any further elaboration
about it in the first letter.)
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfl5co$hfe$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=602&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#602

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:39:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:39 UTC

John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
<<snip>>
>> I hope this helps ... Sylvain Robitaille
>
> Yeah, very helpful, thanks. By the way, I did get the slackbuilds
> zoom-linux source running without a hiccup on my desktop, with a
> slack64-current downloaded on 12/25/20 and not upgraded since
> (it had originally failed on the linux partition of my laptop
> running slack64-current downloaded 9/1/19 and not upgraded since).
> But I hadn't tried that before because my desktop doesn't have
> a camera or microphone, so it's useless for zoom. And maybe it's
> only running because without a camera/mike to connect to, the code
> causing the crash isn't executed. I was considering buying a cheap
> usb camera/mike for the desktop after seeing zoom-linux run on it,
> but then re-considered after seeing it fail so miserably on my
> laptop. (And the desktop has no windows partition.)

Okay, eliminated one variable: used a spare desktop partition
to install the same slackx64_15.0rc1 that's on the laptop where
zoom-linux crashes (installed using exactly the same usb stick).
And zoom-linux again runs without a hiccup on the desktop.
I even joined a test meeting from my browser, and it "successfully"
said it Tested 0/0 cameras, but announced that it couldn't find
any microphones. But nothing crashed or even reported any errors.
Indeed, there's a big, long ~/.zoom/logs/zoom_stdout_stderr.log
(36851 bytes) whose first and last few lines are...
ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom-linux
cmd line:
Start subprocess: /opt/zoom-linux/zoom sucessfully, process pid: 30598
zoom started.
<<lots of intermediate stuff deleted>>
zoom exited normally, exit code is 0 .
ZoomLauncher exit.
What would have happened if there were actually a camera and microphone
connected??? I have no idea. But it's either that or some difference
between my desktop (a whitebox with an Asus mb) and my Teclast f5r laptop.
I couldn't figure out a way to "disable" the camera/mike on the laptop,
so that zoom-linux couldn't detect them, or I'd have run some further
tests and narrowed down the possibilities to one.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<sfv00a$afg$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=655&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#655

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:09:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:09 UTC

John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> <<snip>>
>>> I hope this helps ... Sylvain Robitaille
>>
>> Yeah, very helpful, thanks. By the way, I did get the slackbuilds
>> zoom-linux source running without a hiccup on my desktop, with a
>> slack64-current downloaded on 12/25/20 and not upgraded since
>> (it had originally failed on the linux partition of my laptop
>> running slack64-current downloaded 9/1/19 and not upgraded since).
>> But I hadn't tried that before because my desktop doesn't have
>> a camera or microphone, so it's useless for zoom. And maybe it's
>> only running because without a camera/mike to connect to, the code
>> causing the crash isn't executed. I was considering buying a cheap
>> usb camera/mike for the desktop after seeing zoom-linux run on it,
>> but then re-considered after seeing it fail so miserably on my
>> laptop. (And the desktop has no windows partition.)
>
> Okay, eliminated one variable: used a spare desktop partition
> to install the same slackx64_15.0rc1 that's on the laptop where
> zoom-linux crashes (installed using exactly the same usb stick).
> And zoom-linux again runs without a hiccup on the desktop.
> I even joined a test meeting from my browser, and it "successfully"
> said it Tested 0/0 cameras, but announced that it couldn't find
> any microphones. But nothing crashed or even reported any errors.
> Indeed, there's a big, long ~/.zoom/logs/zoom_stdout_stderr.log
> (36851 bytes) whose first and last few lines are...
> ZoomLauncher started.
> Zoom path is: /opt/zoom-linux
> cmd line:
> Start subprocess: /opt/zoom-linux/zoom sucessfully, process pid: 30598
> zoom started.
> <<lots of intermediate stuff deleted>>
> zoom exited normally, exit code is 0 .
> ZoomLauncher exit.
> What would have happened if there were actually a camera and microphone
> connected??? I have no idea. But it's either that or some difference
> between my desktop (a whitebox with an Asus mb) and my Teclast f5r laptop.
> I couldn't figure out a way to "disable" the camera/mike on the laptop,
> so that zoom-linux couldn't detect them, or I'd have run some further
> tests and narrowed down the possibilities to one.

Okay, final followup of myself (I think), good news but a mystery...
The good news is that now "everything just works", desktop and laptop,
both running x64-15.0rc1 downloaded 8/18/21 (kernel 5.13.11).
Note that, like I said previously, the laptop had crashed at first,
and its ~.zoom/logs/ directory still has the .dmp file from that.
And the mystery is that when I tried running it again, it just worked,
camera, speaker, mike tests all worked fine, and I even joined an
actual meeting without any problem. But I can't think of a single
thing I changed between when it crashed and when it now works.
As far as the desktop goes, I got a logitech c930e webcam for it,
and that just immediately worked running x64-15.0rc1 (like I said
earlier, when running some older x64-current, zoom failed due to
missing qt libraries).
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: zoom-linux problem ("unexpected crash")

<shsh8j$o98$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=673&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#673

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:17:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:17 UTC

John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
>> John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
>> <<snip>>
>>>
>>> Yeah, very helpful, thanks. By the way, I did get the slackbuilds
>>> zoom-linux source running without a hiccup on my desktop, with a
>>> slack64-current downloaded on 12/25/20 and not upgraded since
>>> (it had originally failed on the linux partition of my laptop
>>> running slack64-current downloaded 9/1/19 and not upgraded since).
<<snip>>

> Okay, final followup of myself (I think), good news but a mystery...
> The good news is that now "everything just works", desktop and laptop,
> both running x64-15.0rc1 downloaded 8/18/21 (kernel 5.13.11).

Oops, one more problem running a zoom-slackware test meeting.
Camera and speaker work fine. But microphone test, where it
asks you to say something, then wait for zoom to repeat what
you said, fails. Sometimes it just doesn't repeat anything, and
when it does repeat, it takes some 10-15seconds before repeating.
Since I'm dual-booting slackware with the pre-installed windows
on my laptops, I installed zoom for windows on them, also.
And windows works fine: camera and speakers work, and the microphone
test always repeats what I say just a second after I stop speaking.
So what might that slackware problem be??? I'm clueless even
trying to guess some possible problem to test.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )