Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:24:43 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 10?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:24 UTC

When I visited my friends recently, among other things involved with
setting up their new W10-64 PC, I set Macrium to make a backup once a
week. This is working well, except that - misunderstanding the UI - I
set it to use (say) 20210831 as the image name, that being the date I
set it up. It's working fine, and not overwriting previous images - but
it's calling successive ones 20210831-1, 20210831-2, and so on (or
something like that).

How do I edit a scheduled backup I've already set up (e. g. change the
filename for the image [ideally to reflect the date], change which
partitions/drives it includes in the image, change the type of image,
change the frequency, ...)? When I go into it, I _think_ I can see how
to add _further_ scheduled tasks, but not edit an existing one - which
surely must be possible. I _think_ I saw an option to delete a
previously-set-up scheduled activity, but I'd rather not in case I break
it altogether. (I can look at the creation dates on the image files.)

.... and how lovely, warm, funny, and just all-round Victoria Woodish she was.
- Richard Osman on Victoria Wood, RT 2017/4/8-14

Re: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 10?

<memo.20210920000450.8244A@jeason.cix.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55696&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55696

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 00:04 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:04 UTC

In article <ygCMzaqri7RhFwCQ@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
wrote:

> *From:* "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
> *Date:* Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:24:43 +0100
>
> When I visited my friends recently, among other things involved
> with setting up their new W10-64 PC, I set Macrium to make a backup
> once a week. This is working well, except that - misunderstanding
> the UI - I set it to use (say) 20210831 as the image name, that
> being the date I set it up. It's working fine, and not overwriting
> previous images - but it's calling successive ones 20210831-1,
> 20210831-2, and so on (or something like that).
>
> How do I edit a scheduled backup I've already set up (e. g. change
> the filename for the image [ideally to reflect the date], change
> which partitions/drives it includes in the image, change the type
> of image, change the frequency, ...)? When I go into it, I _think_
> I can see how to add _further_ scheduled tasks, but not edit an
> existing one - which surely must be possible. I _think_ I saw an
> option to delete a previously-set-up scheduled activity, but I'd
> rather not in case I break it altogether. (I can look at the
> creation dates on the image files.)

Select the Backup Definition Files tab above the R/H file list. Hilight your backup
file (in my case it's 'My Win10 Backup.xml') and click the Pencil icon above it to
edit it. You can then edit the filename and path in the Destination section,
checking 'Use the Image ID as the filename (Recommended)' to use the unique ID of
each backup as the filename then click 'Finish'.

--
Regards
John

Re: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 10?

<YJlWJHK6PKShFws$@255soft.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55746&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55746

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:08:42 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:08 UTC

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 at 00:04:00, John K.Eason
<john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
[]
>Select the Backup Definition Files tab above the R/H file list. Hilight
>your backup
>file (in my case it's 'My Win10 Backup.xml') and click the Pencil icon
>above it to
>edit it. You can then edit the filename and path in the Destination section,
>checking 'Use the Image ID as the filename (Recommended)' to use the
>unique ID of
>each backup as the filename then click 'Finish'.

Thanks a lot! (I'll have a go next time I'm on TeamViewer - or, when I'm
there over Christmas.)

Anything you add for security will slow the computer but it shouldn't be
significant or prolonged. Security software is to protect the computer, not
the primary use of the computer.
- VanguardLH in alt.windows7.general, 2018-1-28

Re: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 1

<memo.20210920191140.9360A@jeason.cix.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55764&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55764

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Subject: Re: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 1
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:11 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:11 UTC

In article <YJlWJHK6PKShFws$@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
wrote:

> Thanks a lot! (I'll have a go next time I'm on TeamViewer - or,
> when I'm there over Christmas.)

Hope nothing goes wrong before then! :^))
The Macrium online help is pretty good and the first image on this page:
https://tinyurl.com/yzs8mdew shows what I'm wittering on about in my description.
:^)

--
Regards
John (john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...

Re: How do I edit an existing scheduled imaging in Macrium Free 7 on Windows 1

<w+PMI5aUvvxhFwj8@255soft.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59166&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59166

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:09:08 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:09 UTC

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 at 19:11:00, John K.Eason
<john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
>In article <YJlWJHK6PKShFws$@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P.
>Gilliver (John))
>wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot! (I'll have a go next time I'm on TeamViewer - or,
>> when I'm there over Christmas.)
>
> Hope nothing goes wrong before then! :^))

Fortunately nothing has!

>The Macrium online help is pretty good and the first image on this page:
>https://tinyurl.com/yzs8mdew shows what I'm wittering on about in my
>description.
>:^)

This was about changing the name of the files Macrium creates, as I'd
accidentally typed the date of when I set it up, and it was creating
backups all with that date as the name, plus a suffix. Now fixed!

Although: I did tick the "use backup ID as part of filename
(Recommended)" [or something like that], as it seemed a good idea - but
it created .mrimg files with a string of hex before the date, and once
I'd done it, there was no way to undo it - the option had disappeared!
But by manually editing the .xml file, and changing a Y to an N, all is
well - it now creates .mrimg files starting with the date (by me
selecting "{ISODATE}" from the list), so all is well.

Thanks again!

All change is not necessarily improvement, but all improvement is change.