Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others. -- Berry Kercheval

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

SubjectAuthor
* sha256 hash different for the same fileScott Lurndal
+- Re: sha256 hash different for the same fileT
+- Re: sha256 hash different for the same filePaul
+* Re: sha256 hash different for the same fileR.Wieser
|`* Re: sha256 hash different for the same fileSjouke Burry
| `- Re: sha256 hash different for the same fileAndy Burns
`- Re: sha256 hash different for the same fileCoMmAnDoTrOn

1
sha256 hash different for the same file

<si3es2$bfa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55583&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55583

From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: sha256 hash different for the same file
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:20:09 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:20 UTC

How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service

1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config

2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.

3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.

4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).

How can that be?
Why?
--
REM RunAsAdmin vanwa.bat from https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service
REM How can each download (even seconds apart) have a different hash?

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<si3fmv$ie1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55585&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55585

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: sha256 hash different for the same file
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:34:21 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:34 UTC

On 9/17/21 6:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
> https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service
>
> 1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
> https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config
>
> 2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.
>
> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).
>
> How can that be?
> Why?

Hi Scott,

They did not include the version number on the name
of the file, which is a bozo thing not to do. It
may have changed.

Also, the Internet is not perfect.

Virus Total (Always check your download files before running)
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/9a1d23eab88ca6a05ed07c6a31ee87f4597fdd27ed28f668a7817434b1d542e2
Passed

Here is my sha256sum from Fedora:

$ sha256sum VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn
9a1d23eab88ca6a05ed07c6a31ee87f4597fdd27ed28f668a7817434b1d542e2
VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn

HTH,
-T

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<si3i6q$1hhf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55588&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55588

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:16:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 02:16 UTC

Scott Lurndal wrote:
> How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
> https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service
>
> 1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
> https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config
>
> 2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.
>
> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).
>
> How can that be?
> Why?

Let's see

Person has a tool that detects file differences. Check.

Tool tells person that file is different. Check.

Conclusion. File is different.

It would behoove said person, to use an editor
to examine both files.

*******

The only reason we're using a hex editor for this,
is so we get a new tool for the collection.

Install this hex editor (a Windows one, very nice).

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Drag and drop the two files of interest, onto the pane
of the program window. Now, look for a "Compare" function
(Analysis:File Compare).

Since only the two files are open, the program should
know pretty well instantly, what you're trying to do.

The compare will likely stop on the Private Key field,
at a guess.

I didn't test this, so we'll see whether this works
out or not.

I'm willing to bet, that every customer has been given
a different private key. Let's just hope they know enough
about crypto, to be doing this the right way. As I am not
a crypto guy, I refuse to speculate.

Paul

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<si43k9$nj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55601&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55601

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:14:00 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:14 UTC

Scott,

> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).

Conclusion : your eyes have deceived you and the files are different.

Suggestion: Download the file again, but save under a different name. After
that, use a "compare" tool to see if the files are, in fact, the same.

Paul gave you one way to compare them. I don't know if W10 still has got
"FC", but if so you could also just open a command window and enter

FC /b file1 file2

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<v5q2ui887d4s.9pc03j8gs5km5.dlg@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55604&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55604

From: commandotron.15902@anonamail.int (CoMmAnDoTrOn)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:06:47 -0000
 by: CoMmAnDoTrOn - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:06 UTC

Scott Lurndal wrote:

> sha256 hash different for the same file
>
> How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
> https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service
>
> 1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
> https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config
>
> 2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.
>
> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).
>
> How can that be?
> Why?

It is not the same file. Clearly not.

The web server dynamically generates a new file each time someone
downloads it. Each time, you get a fresh new, different file.

These .ovpn files are plain text files. Run the two through a text
compare tool and you will see where the differences are.

Hint: You can also figure that it would not be good for all VPN users to
share the same certificate and private key.
<https://superuser.com/questions/1526685/is-it-safe-to-share-a-ovpn-file>

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<nnd$3d3c9f59$3c61b660@974bc00753fc4176>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55610&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55610

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:42:33 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Sjouke Burry - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:42 UTC

On 18.09.21 9:14, R.Wieser wrote:
> Scott,
>
>> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>>
>> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).
>
> Conclusion : your eyes have deceived you and the files are different.
>
> Suggestion: Download the file again, but save under a different name. After
> that, use a "compare" tool to see if the files are, in fact, the same.
>
> Paul gave you one way to compare them. I don't know if W10 still has got
> "FC", but if so you could also just open a command window and enter
>
> FC /b file1 file2
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

That command even works on XP !

Re: sha256 hash different for the same file

<iqml1nF99ncU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55612&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55612

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:13:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 17:13 UTC

Sjouke Burry wrote:

> R.Wieser wrote:
>
>> I don't know if W10 still has got "FC", but if so you could also
>> just open a command window and enter
>>
>> FC /b file1 file2
>
> That command even works on XP !

back to DOS3.3 too