'Course, I haven't weighed in yet. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / weird freeze up problem

SubjectAuthor
* weird freeze up problemT
+* Re: weird freeze up problemBill
|`- Re: weird freeze up problemT
+* Re: weird freeze up problemFrank Slootweg
|+* Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
||+* Re: weird freeze up problemT
|||`* Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
||| `* Re: weird freeze up problemAndy Burns
|||  `* Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
|||   `* Re: weird freeze up problemT
|||    `* Re: weird freeze up problemAndy Burns
|||     `* Re: weird freeze up problemT
|||      `* Re: weird freeze up problemRene Lamontagne
|||       `- Re: weird freeze up problemT
||+- Re: weird freeze up problemT
||`* Re: weird freeze up problemT
|| +* Re: weird freeze up problemBill
|| |+- Re: weird freeze up problemT
|| |`* Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
|| | +- Re: weird freeze up problemBill
|| | `* Re: weird freeze up problemT
|| |  `* Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
|| |   `- Re: weird freeze up problemT
|| `- Re: weird freeze up problemPaul
|`* Re: weird freeze up problemAndy Burns
| +- Re: weird freeze up problemFrank Slootweg
| `- Re: weird freeze up problemT
+* Re: weird freeze up problemwasbit
|`* Re: weird freeze up problemBill
| `- Re: weird freeze up problemT
`* Re: weird freeze up problemn/a
 `* Re: weird freeze up problemT
  `* Re: weird freeze up problemn/a
   `- Re: weird freeze up problemT

Pages:12
weird freeze up problem

<si3s5e$crs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55595

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: weird freeze up problem
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:06:52 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 05:06 UTC

Hi All,

W10-pro-21H1

I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
I set it up.

His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
work.

Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead. Computer's
lights are on.

They hold the power button in for four
seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.

I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
the switch in the criticals of his system log. There
are NO OTHER CRITICALS!

The log does not show that he powered off.

Who Crashed shows nothing.

His power is set to never turn off.

His screen saver is off.

Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off

All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
Windows updates are installed properly.

CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect

His NVMe drive says it is "Good". Shows
about 15% used.

Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
is working fine with a lot of beeping.
UPS self test passes.

The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
all work.

If an employee went in and powered him off to be
helpful, it would show in the log!

BIOS power is set resume to "last state".

I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
when he is there.

And it is only when he is gone!

I can't find anything wrong! The damn'ed thing
works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.

AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Your thoughts?

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<kNe1J.5$yk1.1@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55596&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55596

Subject: Re: weird freeze up problem
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:27:45 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 05:27 UTC

On 9/18/2021 1:06 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> W10-pro-21H1
>
> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
> I set it up.
>
> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
> work.
>
> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
> is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.  Computer's
> lights are on.
>
> They hold the power button in for four
> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>
> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
> the switch in the criticals of his system log.  There
> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>
> The log does not show that he powered off.
>
> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>
> His power is set to never turn off.
>
> His screen saver is off.
>
> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>
> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
> Windows updates are installed properly.
>
> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>
> His NVMe drive says it is "Good".  Shows
> about 15% used.
>
> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
> UPS self test passes.
>
> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
> all work.
>
> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
> helpful, it would show in the log!
>
> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>
> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
> when he is there.
>
> And it is only when he is gone!
>
> I can't find anything wrong!  The damn'ed thing
> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>
> AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> -T

From reading your post, I can tell I don't have nearly your level of
expertise. But I know that there are quite a few power options
associated with a "power plan". I would review them 1 by 1. HTH.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si41te$8nv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55599&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55599

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 23:45:00 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 06:45 UTC

On 9/17/21 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 9/18/2021 1:06 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> W10-pro-21H1
>>
>> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
>> I set it up.
>>
>> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
>> work.
>>
>> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
>> is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.  Computer's
>> lights are on.
>>
>> They hold the power button in for four
>> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>>
>> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
>> the switch in the criticals of his system log.  There
>> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>>
>> The log does not show that he powered off.
>>
>> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>>
>> His power is set to never turn off.
>>
>> His screen saver is off.
>>
>> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>>
>> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
>> Windows updates are installed properly.
>>
>> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>>
>> His NVMe drive says it is "Good".  Shows
>> about 15% used.
>>
>> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
>> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
>> UPS self test passes.
>>
>> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
>> all work.
>>
>> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
>> helpful, it would show in the log!
>>
>> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>>
>> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
>> when he is there.
>>
>> And it is only when he is gone!
>>
>> I can't find anything wrong!  The damn'ed thing
>> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>>
>> AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>>
>> -T
>>

> From reading your post, I can tell I don't have nearly your level of
> expertise.  But I know that there are quite a few power options
> associated with a "power plan". I would review them 1 by 1. HTH.

I went through the power options with a fine tooth comb.
Probably 10 other things I have forgotten by now. I
can't find anything wrong!!!!

Wait a minute, I wonder what the temperature is
in his room after he leaves. He shuts his door.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si4lju.ajs.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55603&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55603

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 18 Sep 2021 10:21:28 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 10:21 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> W10-pro-21H1
>
> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
> I set it up.
>
> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
> work.
>
> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
> is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead. Computer's
> lights are on.

How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
'wake'/'unblank' the display?

FWIW, I have a similar scenario - blank display, can not 'wake'/
'unblank' display with mouse or keyboard - with a laptop, but I *can*
connect to it (via TeamViewer). When I connect via TeamViewer, the
display 'wakes'/unblanks' and the problem is 'gone', till the next time.

> They hold the power button in for four
> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>
> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
> the switch in the criticals of his system log. There
> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>
> The log does not show that he powered off.
>
> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>
> His power is set to never turn off.
>
> His screen saver is off.

Does he have a screen *lock*, which blanks the display after some
time?

> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>
> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
> Windows updates are installed properly.
>
> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect

In a later response you say he shuts the door when he leaves. If you
suspect temperature problems, SpeedFan can log to a file.

> His NVMe drive says it is "Good". Shows
> about 15% used.
>
> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
> UPS self test passes.
>
> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
> all work.
>
> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
> helpful, it would show in the log!
>
> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>
> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
> when he is there.
>
> And it is only when he is gone!
>
> I can't find anything wrong! The damn'ed thing
> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>
> AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
>
> Your thoughts?

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si4jnv$iii$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55605&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55605

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:49:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:49 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> W10-pro-21H1
>>
>> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
>> I set it up.
>>
>> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
>> work.
>>
>> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
>> is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead. Computer's
>> lights are on.
>
> How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
> monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
> 'wake'/'unblank' the display?
>
> FWIW, I have a similar scenario - blank display, can not 'wake'/
> 'unblank' display with mouse or keyboard - with a laptop, but I *can*
> connect to it (via TeamViewer). When I connect via TeamViewer, the
> display 'wakes'/unblanks' and the problem is 'gone', till the next time.
>
>> They hold the power button in for four
>> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>>
>> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
>> the switch in the criticals of his system log. There
>> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>>
>> The log does not show that he powered off.
>>
>> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>>
>> His power is set to never turn off.
>>
>> His screen saver is off.
>
> Does he have a screen *lock*, which blanks the display after some
> time?
>
>> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>>
>> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
>> Windows updates are installed properly.
>>
>> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>
> In a later response you say he shuts the door when he leaves. If you
> suspect temperature problems, SpeedFan can log to a file.
>
>> His NVMe drive says it is "Good". Shows
>> about 15% used.
>>
>> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
>> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
>> UPS self test passes.
>>
>> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
>> all work.
>>
>> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
>> helpful, it would show in the log!
>>
>> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>>
>> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
>> when he is there.
>>
>> And it is only when he is gone!
>>
>> I can't find anything wrong! The damn'ed thing
>> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>>
>> AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
>>
>> Your thoughts?

perfmon /rel # Reliability Monitor

See if there are any records of "stopped responding".

On a real freeze, there won't be an Eventvwr.msc entry,
because the OS has run out of resources.

Task Manager has Paged Pool and NonPaged Pool columns
you can add to the column view. Modern Windows allows
the Pools to occupy the entire memory if desired. The
pools are normally a Ring0 driver kind of thing.

The user might stop leaving Firefox running when
they go home. It tends to leak, and it leaks in
non-linear ways, as if some episodic internal
process goes nuts at some point. Internally Firefox
has its own performance monitoring for memory usage.

One thing that happens when the user leaves, is
there is no mouse input, the idle timer starts
counting, and when the "blank screen after ten minutes"
is hit, the screen will blank. This does not mean
the machine shuts down or attempts to shut down, unless
that was also set in the Power preferences thing. The
machine may be set to sleep or hibernate when idle,
and it's the attempt to sleep that is failing.

When it comes to the Power preferences, Microsoft
loves to override user settings, so if you'd set
those to "Never", Microsoft would set them back
to "Ten Minutes" when you're not looking. I even
had a piece of Microsoft diagnostic code which
printed such a thing in the log "we noticed your
Ten Minute Thingy was not set to Ten Minutes and
we're setting it to Ten Minutes for you because
Ten Minutes is the precisely correct value, you dummy".
The thing was, the diagnostic had absolutely
nothing to do with Power, either. The material in
quotes is a paraphrasing of the material, but
really the message was just as condescending as
that.

Paul

Re: weird freeze up problem

<iqmgmlF8ftbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55608&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55608

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:59:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:59 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> T wrote:
>
>> the monitor is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead.
>
> How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
> monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
> 'wake'/'unblank' the display?

Well, wired keyboards tend to still have caps/num/scroll lock LEDs, if
they don't respond to the corresponding keys, that's a big clue.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si5gpl.ae0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55613&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55613

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 18 Sep 2021 18:05:19 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:05 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > T wrote:
> >
> >> the monitor is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead.
> >
> > How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
> > monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
> > 'wake'/'unblank' the display?
>
> Well, wired keyboards tend to still have caps/num/scroll lock LEDs, if
> they don't respond to the corresponding keys, that's a big clue.

Good point. However I doubt that T's customer's helpers (colleagues?)
tried that. If not, it's a helpful thing to try if the problem
re-occurs.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si5hs2$li2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55616&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55616

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:23:28 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 20:23 UTC

On 9/18/21 4:49 AM, Paul wrote:
> Frank Slootweg

Hi Paul,

What does Frank's eMail address show at your end?
His response did not show up and I am wonder if
he is in some filter.

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si5ir5$8an$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55618&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55618

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:40:04 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 20:40 UTC

On 9/18/21 4:49 AM, Paul wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> W10-pro-21H1
>>>
>>> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
>>> I set it up.
>>>
>>> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
>>> is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.  Computer's
>>> lights are on.
>>
>>   How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
>> monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
>> 'wake'/'unblank' the display?

Nothing happens

>>   FWIW, I have a similar scenario - blank display, can not 'wake'/
>> 'unblank' display with mouse or keyboard - with a laptop, but I *can*
>> connect to it (via TeamViewer). When I connect via TeamViewer, the
>> display 'wakes'/unblanks' and the problem is 'gone', till the next time.

Neither one of can connect with RDP and I can not connect
with unattended Go To Assist. Also a great way to test
for a dead monitor.

>>> They hold the power button in for four
>>> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>>>
>>> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
>>> the switch in the criticals of his system log.  There
>>> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>>>
>>> The log does not show that he powered off.
>>>
>>> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>>>
>>> His power is set to never turn off.
>>>
>>> His screen saver is off.
>>
>>   Does he have a screen *lock*, which blanks the display after some
>> time?

hard drive: never; screen: 1 hour. When he is at
work, he is away from his computer for hours at
a time, if not most of the day. But his door
is open

>>> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>>>
>>> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
>>> Windows updates are installed properly.
>>>
>>> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>>
>>   In a later response you say he shuts the door when he leaves. If you
>> suspect temperature problems, SpeedFan can log to a file.

Great idea. Maybe I will even write one of my own
to log his time and temperature

>>> His NVMe drive says it is "Good".  Shows
>>> about 15% used.
>>>
>>> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
>>> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
>>> UPS self test passes.
>>>
>>> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
>>> all work.
>>>
>>> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
>>> helpful, it would show in the log!
>>>
>>> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>>>
>>> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
>>> when he is there.
>>>
>>> And it is only when he is gone!
>>>
>>> I can't find anything wrong!  The damn'ed thing
>>> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>>>
>>> AAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
>>>
>>> Your thoughts?
>
> perfmon /rel                # Reliability Monitor
>
> See if there are any records of "stopped responding".
>
> On a real freeze, there won't be an Eventvwr.msc entry,
> because the OS has run out of resources.
>
> Task Manager has Paged Pool and NonPaged Pool columns
> you can add to the column view. Modern Windows allows
> the Pools to occupy the entire memory if desired. The
> pools are normally a Ring0 driver kind of thing.
>
> The user might stop leaving Firefox running when
> they go home. It tends to leak, and it leaks in
> non-linear ways, as if some episodic internal
> process goes nuts at some point. Internally Firefox
> has its own performance monitoring for memory usage.
>
> One thing that happens when the user leaves, is
> there is no mouse input, the idle timer starts
> counting, and when the "blank screen after ten minutes"
> is hit, the screen will blank. This does not mean
> the machine shuts down or attempts to shut down, unless
> that was also set in the Power preferences thing. The
> machine may be set to sleep or hibernate when idle,
> and it's the attempt to sleep that is failing.

But only when he is gone

> When it comes to the Power preferences, Microsoft
> loves to override user settings, so if you'd set
> those to "Never", Microsoft would set them back
> to "Ten Minutes" when you're not looking. I even
> had a piece of Microsoft diagnostic code which
> printed such a thing in the log "we noticed your
> Ten Minute Thingy was not set to Ten Minutes and
> we're setting it to Ten Minutes for you because
> Ten Minutes is the precisely correct value, you dummy".
> The thing was, the diagnostic had absolutely
> nothing to do with Power, either. The material in
> quotes is a paraphrasing of the material, but
> really the message was just as condescending as
> that.
>
>    Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you!

"perfmon /rel" next time his machine comes back on

He does leave Firefox on all the time, including
when he is there. (Is it just me or is Firefox
going down the toilet on the installment program
ever since Mozilla cancel cultured Brendan Eich?
I still have a fondness for Firefox, but geez.)

He leaves his computer unattended all-the-time
when he is at work and working in his shop
for hours at a time.

I have both RDP and Go To Assist unattended
support to his computer. Neither wakes it after
a freeze up. My Go To Assist console show it
powered off.

Power setting: hard drive: never; screen 1 hour

I am going to ask about the keyboard lights
can be toggled too.

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si5is0$8an$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55619&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55619

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:40:32 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 20:40 UTC

On 9/18/21 8:59 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> T wrote:
>>
>>> the monitor is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.
>>
>> How do/can they know/tell the mouse and keyboard are dead when the
>> monitor is blank? Or do you mean that the mouse and keyboard do not
>> 'wake'/'unblank' the display?
>
> Well, wired keyboards tend to still have caps/num/scroll lock LEDs, if
> they don't respond to the corresponding keys, that's a big clue.

I am going to ask! Thank you!

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si5m9o$9nj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55625&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55625

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 17:39:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 21:39 UTC

T wrote:
> On 9/18/21 4:49 AM, Paul wrote:
>> Frank Slootweg
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> What does Frank's eMail address show at your end?
> His response did not show up and I am wonder if
> he is in some filter.
>
> -T

There's something wrong with our USENET.

I don't know if you've noticed, as it's subtle.

Posts are going missing, and I don't have an
exact pattern to offer. I was seeing heavy damage in
one group, for a short period of time. I don't think
it's a cancelbot, as then everyone would have stuff
missing.

Anyway, here is the MID

<si4lju.ajs.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Csi4lju.ajs.1%40ID-201911.user.individual.net%3E

*******

As a result of this foulup, people do *NOT* see
the same list of postings as you do. Not at the
moment at least.

I can't really complain to someone, until I
can spot a pattern. Admins can be grumpy bastards
at times.

Paul

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si6u1t$clh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55642

From: wasbitremove@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:57:30 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:57 UTC

"T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:si3s5e$crs$1@dont-email.me...
> Hi All,
>
> W10-pro-21H1
>
> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
> I set it up.
>
> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
> work.
>
> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
> is blank. Mouse and keyboard are dead. Computer's
> lights are on.
>
> They hold the power button in for four
> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>
> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
> the switch in the criticals of his system log. There
> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>
> The log does not show that he powered off.
>
> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>
> His power is set to never turn off.
>
> His screen saver is off.
>
> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>
> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
> Windows updates are installed properly.
>
> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>
> His NVMe drive says it is "Good". Shows
> about 15% used.
>
> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
> UPS self test passes.
>
> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
> all work.
>
> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
> helpful, it would show in the log!
>
> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>
> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
> when he is there.
>
> And it is only when he is gone!
>
> I can't find anything wrong! The damn'ed thing
> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.

I had these symptoms on my present PC.
The best answer I received was that Windows was waiting for some sort of
input, but from what or where no one could fathom.
Reinstalling the OS (Windows 8.1) cured the problem & the PC has worked fine
ever since - some 5 years now.

These symptoms are often associated with a KVM as well.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: weird freeze up problem

<IMD1J.84607$jl2.67513@fx34.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55644&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55644

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 05:53:45 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:53 UTC

On 9/19/2021 4:57 AM, wasbit wrote:
> "T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:si3s5e$crs$1@dont-email.me...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> W10-pro-21H1
>>
>> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
>> I set it up.
>>
>> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
>> work.
>>
>> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
>> is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.  Computer's
>> lights are on.
>>
>> They hold the power button in for four
>> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>>
>> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
>> the switch in the criticals of his system log.  There
>> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>>
>> The log does not show that he powered off.
>>
>> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>>
>> His power is set to never turn off.
>>
>> His screen saver is off.
>>
>> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>>
>> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
>> Windows updates are installed properly.
>>
>> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>>
>> His NVMe drive says it is "Good".  Shows
>> about 15% used.
>>
>> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
>> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
>> UPS self test passes.
>>
>> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
>> all work.
>>
>> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
>> helpful, it would show in the log!
>>
>> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>>
>> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
>> when he is there.
>>
>> And it is only when he is gone!
>>
>> I can't find anything wrong!  The damn'ed thing
>> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>>

> I had these symptoms on my present PC.
> The best answer I received was that Windows was waiting for some sort of
> input, but from what or where no one could fathom.
> Reinstalling the OS (Windows 8.1) cured the problem & the PC has worked
> fine ever since - some 5 years now.
>
> These symptoms are often associated with a KVM as well.

When I first built one computer, NAV used to wake it for updates and
some sort of power exception was thrown and the system crashed (but at
least there was a note in a log). After a month of monkeying around, I
switched my anti-virus program and never encountered the issue again.
This might give the OP another thing to test:
Maybe disconnect the internet and/or the antivirus program and see
whether the system still freezes?

Re: weird freeze up problem

<iqpgieFq1piU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55670&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55670

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:15:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:15 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Admins can be grumpy bastards
> at times.

speaking of which, have you any thoughts to submit a newgroup message
for the win11 group so it has some chance of adoption?

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si89uu$alk$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55685&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55685

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:26:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:26 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Admins can be grumpy bastards
>> at times.
>
> speaking of which, have you any thoughts to submit a newgroup message
> for the win11 group so it has some chance of adoption?

I would probably have to resort to a less public
method of getting support.

Paul

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si8jkj$38b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55702&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55702

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:12:03 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 00:12 UTC

On 9/19/21 2:26 PM, Paul wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Admins can be grumpy bastards
>>> at times.
>>
>> speaking of which, have you any thoughts to submit a newgroup message
>> for the win11 group so it has some chance of adoption?
>
> I would probably have to resort to a less public
> method of getting support.
>
>    Paul

I kind of like it being here on W10.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<si94jc$uj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55705&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55705

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:01:30 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 05:01 UTC

On 9/19/21 2:53 AM, Bill wrote:
> On 9/19/2021 4:57 AM, wasbit wrote:
>> "T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> W10-pro-21H1
>>>
>>> I have a customer that RDP's from home into work.
>>> I set it up.
>>>
>>> His work computer seizes up only after he leaves
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Folks that have rebooted it for him say the monitor
>>> is blank.  Mouse and keyboard are dead.  Computer's
>>> lights are on.
>>>
>>> They hold the power button in for four
>>> seconds to turn it off, then they re-power.
>>>
>>> I see the power restored and the grip about flipping
>>> the switch in the criticals of his system log.  There
>>> are NO OTHER CRITICALS!
>>>
>>> The log does not show that he powered off.
>>>
>>> Who Crashed shows nothing.
>>>
>>> His power is set to never turn off.
>>>
>>> His screen saver is off.
>>>
>>> Fast Boot (Fast Startup) is off
>>>
>>> All his programs are up to date (SUMo) and his
>>> Windows updates are installed properly.
>>>
>>> CPU Fan shows his temperature is perfect
>>>
>>> His NVMe drive says it is "Good".  Shows
>>> about 15% used.
>>>
>>> Pulling the plug on his UPS and his UPS
>>> is working fine with a lot of beeping.
>>> UPS self test passes.
>>>
>>> The three other computer I set up for him with RDP
>>> all work.
>>>
>>> If an employee went in and powered him off to be
>>> helpful, it would show in the log!
>>>
>>> BIOS power is set resume to "last state".
>>>
>>> I am thinking hardware, but it never appends
>>> when he is there.
>>>
>>> And it is only when he is gone!
>>>
>>> I can't find anything wrong!  The damn'ed thing
>>> works PERFECTLY when I am testing it.
>>>

>> I had these symptoms on my present PC.
>> The best answer I received was that Windows was waiting for some sort
>> of input, but from what or where no one could fathom.
>> Reinstalling the OS (Windows 8.1) cured the problem & the PC has
>> worked fine ever since - some 5 years now.
>>
>> These symptoms are often associated with a KVM as well.
>>

> When I first built one computer, NAV used to wake it for updates and
> some sort of power exception was thrown and the system crashed (but at
> least there was a note in a log).  After a month of monkeying around, I
> switched my anti-virus program and never encountered the issue again.
> This might give the OP another thing to test:
> Maybe disconnect the internet and/or the antivirus program and see
> whether the system still freezes?

Hi Bill,

You know one way to prove if it is software is to
spin him a Fedora USB live stock and teach him how
to boot off it. Then have him boot to Fedora before
he goes home on Friday.

If Fedora is still working come Monday, then your
route of wiping and re-installing would be called
out.

If he is frozen, then he need a new computer.

Thank you

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<iqqrleF3990U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55710&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55710

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:30:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 07:30 UTC

T wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> have you any thoughts to submit a newgroup message
>>> for the win11 group so it has some chance of adoption?
>>
>> I would probably have to resort to a less public
>> method of getting support.

It'd probably piss-off AHK (doesn't everything?) but I could just send
the message, that'll get in in the ISC archives ...

> I kind of like it being here on W10.

Except (similar to folk on Win10 who forget to mention they're using
ClassicShell) there will be more and more divergence of Win11 from Win10.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<siau52$e11$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55771&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55771

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:23:46 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:23 UTC

On 9/20/21 12:30 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> I kind of like it being here on W10.
>
> Except (similar to folk on Win10 who forget to mention they're using
> ClassicShell) there will be more and more divergence of Win11 from Win10.

On my machine, I do not as I want to see what the customer sees. I
install Open Shell on a lot of my customers though.

W11 is the same pig as W10, different lipstick

Re: weird freeze up problem

<iqsj6gFdl54U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55778&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55778

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:18:40 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:18 UTC

On 2021-09-20 4:23 p.m., T wrote:
> On 9/20/21 12:30 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>>> I kind of like it being here on W10.
>>
>> Except (similar to folk on Win10 who forget to mention they're using
>> ClassicShell) there will be more and more divergence of Win11 from Win10.
>
> On my machine, I do not as I want to see what the customer sees.  I
> install Open Shell on a lot of my customers though.
>
> W11 is the same pig as W10, different lipstick

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Classic Shell and Open shell nearly
the same thing?
I thought Open shell was an offshoot of Classic shell.
I only use Classic shell on my Windows 8.1 tablet (And that's not often)
I don't like the 10 inch tablet.

Rene

Rene

Re: weird freeze up problem

<sib6a3$469$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55780&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55780

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:42:58 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:42 UTC

On 9/20/21 4:18 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Classic Shell and Open shell nearly
> the same thing?
> I thought Open shell was an offshoot of Classic shell.
> I only use Classic shell on my Windows 8.1 tablet (And that's not often)
> I don't like the 10 inch tablet.
>
> Rene

The guy that wrote Classic Shell got tired of
supporting it, so he gave it to open source as
Open Shell. They are virtually identical. I
can't find any differences.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<sibk9o$g5k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55782&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55782

From: gone@phoenix.com (n/a)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:41:43 -0400
 by: n/a - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 03:41 UTC

Try this:

https://blog.techinline.com/2021/01/08/remote-desktop-keeps-freezing-windows-10/

Bob S.

Re: weird freeze up problem

<sibu5j$ttb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55784&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55784

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:30:11 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 06:30 UTC

On 9/20/21 8:41 PM, n/a wrote:
> Try this:
>
> https://blog.techinline.com/2021/01/08/remote-desktop-keeps-freezing-windows-10/
>

> Bob S.

Hi Bob,

"Reportedly, this issue can be attributed to using the UDP protocol
instead of TCP."

We are using TCP. Rats!

Thank you anyway!

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<sic17c$gan$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55786&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55786

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 00:22:17 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:22 UTC

On 9/18/21 4:49 AM, Paul wrote:
> perfmon /rel

They are all "Windows not properly shut down":

https://ibb.co/LgtDNvh

Temperature.bat
Temperature with Thermal zones
Temperature is in Kelvin * 10 C = (K / 10) - 273.15
CurrentTemperature InstanceName
3010 ACPI\ThermalZone\TZ00_0

27.85C

:'(

-T

Re: weird freeze up problem

<pdg2J.55966$jm6.54786@fx07.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55787&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55787

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 03:54:58 -0400
 by: Bill - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:54 UTC

On 9/21/2021 3:22 AM, T wrote:
> On 9/18/21 4:49 AM, Paul wrote:
>> perfmon /rel
>
> They are all "Windows not properly shut down":
>
> https://ibb.co/LgtDNvh
>

> Temperature.bat
> Temperature with Thermal zones
> Temperature is in Kelvin * 10    C = (K / 10) - 273.15
> CurrentTemperature  InstanceName
> 3010                ACPI\ThermalZone\TZ00_0
>
> 27.85C
>
> :'(
>
> -T

Back when they sold semi-built computers (i.e. the main components
assembled in a case), someone put an "extra" "riser" in the case to
support the motherboard (for which there was no corresponding hole on
the motherboard). And when the computer felt like it, such as when it
got warm, it would shutdown, and it did at least 2 or 3 times a weak.
It took me at least 3 months to deduce the problem. I only tell this
story to inspire "-T"---"Where there's a will, there's a way!" :)