From: admin@moderated.xyz (Billy Mynews Ferrell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: New malware uses Windows Subsystem for Linux for stealthy attacks
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:59:42 -0500
 by: Billy Mynews Ferrell - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 01:59 UTC

By Ionut Ilascu September 16, 2021 01:33 PM

WSL

Security researchers have discovered malicious Linux binaries
created for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),
indicating that hackers are trying out new methods
to compromise Windows machines.

The finding underlines that threat actors are exploring
new methods of attack and are focusing their attention on
WSL to evade detection.

~BD~ Read More Here
<
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-malware-uses-windows-subsystem-for-linux-for-stealthy-attacks/ >

Re: New malware uses Windows Subsystem for Linux for stealthy attacks

<si14mk$kv9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55559&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55559

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:14:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 04:14 UTC

Billy Mynews Ferrell wrote:
> By Ionut Ilascu September 16, 2021 01:33 PM
>

> WSL
>
> Security researchers have discovered malicious Linux binaries
> created for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),
> indicating that hackers are trying out new methods
> to compromise Windows machines.
>
> The finding underlines that threat actors are exploring
> new methods of attack and are focusing their attention on
> WSL to evade detection.
>
> ~BD~ Read More Here
> <
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-malware-uses-windows-subsystem-for-linux-for-stealthy-attacks/ >

WSL runs Linux (Bash shell) on the Windows kernel.

WSL2 runs Linux (Bash shell) on a Linux kernel, and as
far as I know, the WSL2 is in some kind of container. That
means WSL2 is virtualized and it handled by the hypervisor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux#WSL_2

"Version 2 introduces changes in the architecture. Microsoft has
opted for virtualization through a highly optimized subset of
Hyper-V features,"

The WSL2 might be more secure, than the WSL which likely
is not containerized.

Paul

Re: New malware uses Windows Subsystem for Linux for stealthy attacks

<si5edf$c61$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55614&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55614

From: DavidB@invalid.E-S (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 20:24:28 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:24 UTC

On 17/09/2021 02:59, Billy Mynews Ferrell wrote:
> By Ionut Ilascu September 16, 2021 01:33 PM
>

> WSL
>
> Security researchers have discovered malicious Linux binaries
> created for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),
> indicating that hackers are trying out new methods
> to compromise Windows machines.
>
> The finding underlines that threat actors are exploring
> new methods of attack and are focusing their attention on
> WSL to evade detection.
>
> ~BD~ Read More Here
> <
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-malware-uses-windows-subsystem-for-linux-for-stealthy-attacks/ >

I've been a subscriber at Bleeping Computer for many years, but still
thank you for your post, Billy.

Here's another forum from which I've NOT been banned. A long and
interesting thread here:-

https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/official-antivirus-malware-and-firewall-faq.245728/