"You need tender loving care once a week - so that I can slap you into shape." -- Ellyn Mustard

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / GPS Metadata

SubjectAuthor
* GPS Metadataphilo
`* Re: GPS Metadatanospam
 `* Re: GPS Metadataphilo
  +* Re: GPS MetadataJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  |+- Re: GPS Metadatanospam
  |`- Re: GPS Metadataphilo
  `* Re: GPS Metadataknuttle
   `- Re: GPS Metadataphilo

1
GPS Metadata

<shvbvp$h4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55535&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55535

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: GPS Metadata
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:06:15 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:06 UTC

If I take a photo on my Android, the location info is stored as an exact
street address.

I am happy that the metadata is not lost when I copy image to my Win10
machine but instead of a street address, I see the GPS Longitude and
Latitude coordinates.

Worst still, there is no ability to copy and paste them so I'd have to
manually copy a long sting of numbers into a map search.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party file manager that can do what I want?

Thanks

Re: GPS Metadata

<160920210811545954%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55536&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55536

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: GPS Metadata
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:11:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:11 UTC

In article <shvbvp$h4i$1@dont-email.me>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> If I take a photo on my Android, the location info is stored as an exact
> street address.

it's stored as gps coordinates and then reverse geocoded.

> I am happy that the metadata is not lost when I copy image to my Win10
> machine but instead of a street address, I see the GPS Longitude and
> Latitude coordinates.

because whatever you're using to view the photos isn't reverse
geocoding the gps coordinates.

> Worst still, there is no ability to copy and paste them so I'd have to
> manually copy a long sting of numbers into a map search.
>
> Does anyone know of a 3rd party file manager that can do what I want?

a file manager is the wrong tool.

use a photo asset manager that supports reverse geocoding.

Re: GPS Metadata

<shvcug$n5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55537&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55537

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:22:40 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:22 UTC

On 9/16/2021 7:11 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <shvbvp$h4i$1@dont-email.me>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> If I take a photo on my Android, the location info is stored as an exact
>> street address.
>
> it's stored as gps coordinates and then reverse geocoded.
>
>> I am happy that the metadata is not lost when I copy image to my Win10
>> machine but instead of a street address, I see the GPS Longitude and
>> Latitude coordinates.
>
> because whatever you're using to view the photos isn't reverse
> geocoding the gps coordinates.
>
>> Worst still, there is no ability to copy and paste them so I'd have to
>> manually copy a long sting of numbers into a map search.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a 3rd party file manager that can do what I want?
>
> a file manager is the wrong tool.
>
> use a photo asset manager that supports reverse geocoding.

Figured it out 15 seconds after I posted...I can use IrfanView to do
this. Though it's a free app, I've sent Irfan contributions several times

Re: GPS Metadata

<1pzdhWyrm0QhFw7x@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55538&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55538

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:42:03 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 13:42 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 at 07:22:40, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote (my
>On 9/16/2021 7:11 AM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <shvbvp$h4i$1@dont-email.me>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If I take a photo on my Android, the location info is stored as an
>>>exact
>>> street address.
>> it's stored as gps coordinates and then reverse geocoded.

I presume the translation into street address is done in something other
than the 'phone, unless you have a map actually loaded into the 'phone
(or have mobile data enabled) when you consult the picture.

>>> I am happy that the metadata is not lost when I copy image to my
>>>Win10
>>> machine but instead of a street address, I see the GPS Longitude and
>>> Latitude coordinates.

Are they among the EXIF data, along with other camera-like information?

>> because whatever you're using to view the photos isn't reverse
>> geocoding the gps coordinates.
>>
>>> Worst still, there is no ability to copy and paste them so I'd have
>>>
>>> manually copy a long sting of numbers into a map search.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a 3rd party file manager that can do what I want?
>> a file manager is the wrong tool.
>> use a photo asset manager that supports reverse geocoding.
>>

>Figured it out 15 seconds after I posted...I can use IrfanView to do
>this. Though it's a free app, I've sent Irfan contributions several
>times

I was going to suggest IV too, as it gives access to EXIF and at least
two other types of metadata (I use its comment field a lot). I too have
bought it, though its free for home use, and even bought a copy for
work. I don't think it does long/lat to street translation, though, does
it?

There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by
ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. -Mark Twain, author and humorist
(1835-1910)

Re: GPS Metadata

<160920211039438053%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55539&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55539

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:39:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:39 UTC

In article <1pzdhWyrm0QhFw7x@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver (John)
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> >> it's stored as gps coordinates and then reverse geocoded.
>
> I presume the translation into street address is done in something other
> than the 'phone, unless you have a map actually loaded into the 'phone
> (or have mobile data enabled) when you consult the picture.

maps are not needed and it can easily be done on a phone or any other
device that can connect to the internet.

reverse geocoding is done via a query to google or another provider
that offers reverse geocoding services using the gps coordinates from
the exif data in the photo.

Re: GPS Metadata

<si06lb$e6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55545&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55545

From: keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:41:29 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:41 UTC

On 9/16/2021 8:22 AM, philo wrote:
> On 9/16/2021 7:11 AM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <shvbvp$h4i$1@dont-email.me>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If I take a photo on my Android, the location info is stored as an exact
>>> street address.
>>
>> it's stored as gps coordinates and then reverse geocoded.
>>
>>> I am happy that the metadata is not lost when I copy image to my Win10
>>> machine but instead of a street address, I see the GPS Longitude and
>>> Latitude coordinates.
>>
>> because whatever you're using to view the photos isn't reverse
>> geocoding the gps coordinates.
>>
>>> Worst still, there is no ability to copy and paste them so I'd have to
>>> manually copy a long sting of numbers into a map search.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a 3rd party file manager that can do what I want?
>>
>> a file manager is the wrong tool.
>>
>> use a photo asset manager that supports reverse geocoding.
>>

> Figured it out 15 seconds after I posted...I can use IrfanView to do
> this. Though it's a free app, I've sent Irfan contributions several times
Irfanview can do everything!!!!

I started out using Irfanview many years ago, and I still find new uses
for it.

I keep it on the toolbar of my computer. When someone post a picture of
their tree, or what ever, It is a simple matter to copy it, or do a
screen print, put it into Irfanview, and blow it up to see the detail.

If you have document images. unless it is in script there is an addon
for Irfanview to do OCR.

I routinely use Irfanview to add source citation information to pictures.

It can also be use to read difficult text, ie tombstones, by adjusting
the color of the image.

I have used it as the computer end for my scanner.

I think the question is what can Irfanview not do?

Re: GPS Metadata

<18f6eb67e5ab2823e9da07b2228dd1f0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55548&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55548

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:16:49 +0000
 by: philo - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:16 UTC

Get the street address right in the phone.

Does come in handy.

Re: GPS Metadata

<3e794925820381dccbbbf0511c8300f9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid