From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: One more ? Safe mode
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:44:35 -0500
 by: philo - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:44 UTC

It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.

The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.

The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
methods.

In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<shrd8q$n15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55482&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55482

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: One more ? Safe mode
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:03:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:03 UTC

philo wrote:
> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
> it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>
> The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
> Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.
>

> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
> methods.
>

> In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.

In a running system, Administrator Command Prompt

bcdedit # dumps boot menu

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True

bcdedit # verify new entry

If the computer is offline, boot the Installer DVD, select
Troubleshooting, then Command Prompt. One problem with offline
work, is the C: partition sometimes ends up with a different
drive letter like D: , so you have to double-check where you are
when specifying where the menu file is located ("BCD" file).

bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD # dumps boot menu

bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True

bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD # verify new entry

Sometimes Macrium creates a C:\boot, so you have to be careful
about jumping to conclusions.

What these commands do, is return the black screen with
text entries for the various OSes in your multiboot. If
there is only one OS, you see the OS name "Windows 10",
and further down the screen "Press F8 for Safe Mode" or the
equivalent thereof. As long as the screen has a long enough
timeout constant, you should have a decent period of time to
find the F8 key.

That entry tends to get removed when you have an OS Upgrade
happen (like 21H1), so you want to write some details in
your notes file for the next time.

Paul

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<shrdvm$q10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55484&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55484

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:15:49 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:15 UTC

On 9/14/2021 7:03 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
>> it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>>
>> The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
>> Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.
>>

>> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
>> methods.
>>

>> In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.
>
> In a running system, Administrator Command Prompt
>
> bcdedit   # dumps boot menu
>
> bcdedit  /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True
>
> bcdedit   # verify new entry
>
> If the computer is offline, boot the Installer DVD, select
> Troubleshooting, then Command Prompt. One problem with offline
> work, is the C: partition sometimes ends up with a different
> drive letter like D: , so you have to double-check where you are
> when specifying where the menu file is located ("BCD" file).
>
> bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD   # dumps boot menu
>
> bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD  /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True
>
> bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD  # verify new entry
>
> Sometimes Macrium creates a C:\boot, so you have to be careful
> about jumping to conclusions.
>
> What these commands do, is return the black screen with
> text entries for the various OSes in your multiboot. If
> there is only one OS, you see the OS name "Windows 10",
> and further down the screen "Press F8 for Safe Mode" or the
> equivalent thereof. As long as the screen has a long enough
> timeout constant, you should have a decent period of time to
> find the F8 key.
>
> That entry tends to get removed when you have an OS Upgrade
> happen (like 21H1), so you want to write some details in
> your notes file for the next time.
>
>    Paul

Thanks but I need to know how to start in safe mode if I do not have an
install DVD or a working installation of Windows.

There must be a way to boot directly to safe mode or advanced options
without first having three failed attempts.

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<shrerg$ur4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55485

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:30:33 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:30 UTC

philo wrote:
> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
> it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>
> The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
> Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.
>
> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
> methods.
>
> In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.

This works for my Lenovo Enterprise 10:

At sign on screen, hold shift key while selecting Power / Restart /
Trouble shoot / Advanced / Startup Settings / Restart /
then wait a few seconds, then 4 for Safe Mode.

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<shrf3b$vef$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55486&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55486

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:34:50 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:34 UTC

On 9/14/2021 7:30 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
>> it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>>
>> The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
>> Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.
>>
>> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
>> methods.
>>
>> In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.
>
> This works for my Lenovo Enterprise 10:
>
> At sign on screen, hold shift key while selecting Power / Restart /
> Trouble shoot / Advanced / Startup Settings / Restart /
> then wait a few seconds, then 4 for Safe Mode.

Thanks but for most of the machines I work on there is no sign on screen

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<si0q16$3k5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55552&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55552

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:12:05 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 01:12 UTC

philo wrote:
> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode, it
> says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>
> The method listed first however is to schedule one using msconfig.
> Lot of good that will do if your machine does not boot into Windows.
>

> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
> methods.
>

> In previous versions of Windows the function key worked.
Ensure your Windows Power Options settings have disabled Fast Startup
Ensure your UEFI/BIOS is not configured for hardware Fast Boot.

Some Mobo's UEFI have two separate keys for Safe Mode
One before the POST command and another after the POST command
e.g.
- two different Function keys
i.e. An ASUS board can be F5 before POST when the ASUS logo appears and F8
after POST.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: One more ? Safe mode

<iqj2a0Fii0oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55561&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55561

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:35:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 08:35 UTC

philo wrote:

> It is kind of upsetting that when I check the tutorials for Safe Mode,
> it says to press F8 while booting. That does nothing.
>
> The only method that I can get to work is the "three failed attempts"
> methods.

Too late for this time, but you could enable the boot menu, then you can
use F8 next time

from an admin cmd window

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes