Have you reconsidered a computer career?

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows 11 Computer Test

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 Computer TestBill Bradshaw
+- Re: Windows 11 Computer Testphilo
+* Re: Windows 11 Computer TestPaul
|`- Re: Windows 11 Computer TestMickey
`* Re: Windows 11 Computer TestVanguardLH
 `* Re: Windows 11 Computer TestRabidHussar
  `* Re: Windows 11 Computer TestVanguardLH
   `- Re: Windows 11 Computer TestRabidHussar

1
Windows 11 Computer Test

<iqc1ofF80c1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55438&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55438

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 11 Computer Test
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:42:54 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:42 UTC

I decided to give Windows 11 a test on my $220 Lenovo:

[Current Computer]
Computer Description: LENOVO-300S
Computer Brand Name: LENOVO 90DQ004GUS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64)
Build 22000.1
UEFI Boot: Present
Secure Boot: Present

Central Processor(s) ------------------------------------------------------

[CPU Unit Count]
Number Of Processor Packages (Physical): 1
Number Of Processor Cores: 4
Number Of Logical Processors: 4

Intel Pentium N3710 -------------------------------------------------------

[General Information]
Processor Name: Intel Pentium N3710
Original Processor Frequency: 1666.7 MHz
Original Processor Frequency [MHz]: 1667
CPU ID: 000406C4
CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J3710 @
1.60GHz
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Stepping: D1
CPU Code Name: Braswell Refresh
CPU Technology: 14 nm
CPU S-Spec: SR2KL

It ran alright. I do not completely understand the new interface. If I
wanted a Mac I would buy a Mac. I am going to test with one new version at
some point and then reload my image of Windows 10. Fortunately I am 75 so I
will not have to make a decision until I am 79. By that time I may be in a
hot, hot, hot place and will not have to worry about it. Maybe if I am
still around Open Shell will be fully compatible.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<28d7c9ac4ebe7455b8aef5d626bd53fe@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55442&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55442

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 11 Computer Test
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:57:02 +0000
 by: philo - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:57 UTC

The only thing I really don't like about Win11 is the file manager.
IMHO Win10's was perfect.

I did try a free 3rd party manager that worked though.
It does some of what I want.

If anyone knows of one essentially the same as Win10's I'd actually pay for it.

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<shqktl$6a4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55444&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55444

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:08:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:08 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I decided to give Windows 11 a test on my $220 Lenovo:
>
> [Current Computer]
> Computer Description: LENOVO-300S
> Computer Brand Name: LENOVO 90DQ004GUS
> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64)
> Build 22000.1
> UEFI Boot: Present
> Secure Boot: Present
>
> Central Processor(s) ------------------------------------------------------
>
> [CPU Unit Count]
> Number Of Processor Packages (Physical): 1
> Number Of Processor Cores: 4
> Number Of Logical Processors: 4
>
> Intel Pentium N3710 -------------------------------------------------------
>
> [General Information]
> Processor Name: Intel Pentium N3710
> Original Processor Frequency: 1666.7 MHz
> Original Processor Frequency [MHz]: 1667
> CPU ID: 000406C4
> CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J3710 @
> 1.60GHz
> CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
> CPU Stepping: D1
> CPU Code Name: Braswell Refresh
> CPU Technology: 14 nm
> CPU S-Spec: SR2KL
>
> It ran alright. I do not completely understand the new interface. If I
> wanted a Mac I would buy a Mac. I am going to test with one new version at
> some point and then reload my image of Windows 10. Fortunately I am 75 so I
> will not have to make a decision until I am 79. By that time I may be in a
> hot, hot, hot place and will not have to worry about it. Maybe if I am
> still around Open Shell will be fully compatible.

You'll be in the hot place and still running Windows 10.

Remember there will be 900,000,000 other people in the
same position.

As for the menu being in the center of the screen,
there is a setting to move it to a more traditional location.

And these forums, have opened a W11 one.

https://www.elevenforum.com/tutorials/

And you can see the nature of Window 11, the essence if you will...

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/restore-classic-start-menu-in-windows-11.30/

"The method in this tutorial no longer works
starting with Windows 11 build 22000.65"

Which means the control to move it, has already been removed.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<1ppxmq60btn4z.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55445&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55445

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 12:09:38 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:09 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:

> Fortunately I am 75 so I will not have to make a decision until I am
> 79. By that time I may be in a hot, hot, hot place and will not have
> to worry about it.

Down there they require all users to use Windows. Updates will be daily
to make the OS a moving target. No GPO to modify update scheduling, no
delaying the updates, no QA on the updates. Driver updates will be
forced as well to make sure your platform becomes periodically unstable.

> Maybe if I am still around Open Shell will be fully compatible.

Twould be far better if Microsoft reverted back to the feature in
Windows 9x where you could specify a different desktop manager (GUI) via
registry entry, and, of course, protect that registry entry to prevent
malware from changing to their malicious desktop manager. Then users
could choose the GUI they prefer, and stick with it despite underlying
changes to the OS.

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<YP40J.13515$IO1.6342@fx19.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55450&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55450

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:18:48 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:18 UTC

On 2021-09-14 1:09 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>
>> Fortunately I am 75 so I will not have to make a decision until I am
>> 79. By that time I may be in a hot, hot, hot place and will not have
>> to worry about it.
>
> Down there they require all users to use Windows. Updates will be daily
> to make the OS a moving target. No GPO to modify update scheduling, no
> delaying the updates, no QA on the updates. Driver updates will be
> forced as well to make sure your platform becomes periodically unstable.

I doubt that the periodic instability is one of their objectives. :)
However, I don't mind the forced updates myself as long as they are
tested. A lot of people simply neglect to do them (like my mother) and
the end result is that they wonder how they got infected and hope that
their children will be willing to waste their time, every month or so,
to fix yet another issue.

>> Maybe if I am still around Open Shell will be fully compatible.
>
> Twould be far better if Microsoft reverted back to the feature in
> Windows 9x where you could specify a different desktop manager (GUI) via
> registry entry, and, of course, protect that registry entry to prevent
> malware from changing to their malicious desktop manager. Then users
> could choose the GUI they prefer, and stick with it despite underlying
> changes to the OS.

Such a thing already exists: it's called Linux. You can choose from a
huge selection of desktop environments ranging from the ugly and
mediocre to the pretty but useless. I'm a KDE guy myself.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<1rbp5pxiu8em5.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55462&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55462

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:45:37 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45 UTC

RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Fortunately I am 75 so I will not have to make a decision until I am
>>> 79. By that time I may be in a hot, hot, hot place and will not have
>>> to worry about it.
>>
>> Down there they require all users to use Windows. Updates will be daily
>> to make the OS a moving target. No GPO to modify update scheduling, no
>> delaying the updates, no QA on the updates. Driver updates will be
>> forced as well to make sure your platform becomes periodically unstable.
>
> I doubt that the periodic instability is one of their objectives. :)

It would be in the "hot, hot, hot place".

>>> Maybe if I am still around Open Shell will be fully compatible.
>>
>> Twould be far better if Microsoft reverted back to the feature in
>> Windows 9x where you could specify a different desktop manager (GUI) via
>> registry entry, and, of course, protect that registry entry to prevent
>> malware from changing to their malicious desktop manager. Then users
>> could choose the GUI they prefer, and stick with it despite underlying
>> changes to the OS.
>
> Such a thing already exists: it's called Linux. You can choose from a
> huge selection of desktop environments ranging from the ugly and
> mediocre to the pretty but useless. I'm a KDE guy myself.

For long-time Windows users, Mint with its Cinnamon desktop manager
would be a shallow learning curve since it is similar to Windows.
However, that won't address issues for those users of critical or gaming
software that only runs on Windows, or the lackluster selections
compared to Windows.

Also, jumping from Windows to Linux means leaping from the vastly
prevalent OS (Windows at 88% marketshare) to a vast minority OS (Linux
at 2%). Anyone that has used any OS for awhile knows that getting
support from the OS author is futile unless you pay for it. You get
help from a peer community. At a party of 100, you have a better chance
of getting help by 88 of the participants instead of just 2.

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<h270J.57775$%Z2.38808@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55470&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55470

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 15:50:34 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:50 UTC

On 2021-09-14 2:45 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Down there they require all users to use Windows. Updates will be daily
>>> to make the OS a moving target. No GPO to modify update scheduling, no
>>> delaying the updates, no QA on the updates. Driver updates will be
>>> forced as well to make sure your platform becomes periodically unstable.
>>
>> I doubt that the periodic instability is one of their objectives. :)
>
> It would be in the "hot, hot, hot place".

>>> Twould be far better if Microsoft reverted back to the feature in
>>> Windows 9x where you could specify a different desktop manager (GUI) via
>>> registry entry, and, of course, protect that registry entry to prevent
>>> malware from changing to their malicious desktop manager. Then users
>>> could choose the GUI they prefer, and stick with it despite underlying
>>> changes to the OS.
>>
>> Such a thing already exists: it's called Linux. You can choose from a
>> huge selection of desktop environments ranging from the ugly and
>> mediocre to the pretty but useless. I'm a KDE guy myself.
>
> For long-time Windows users, Mint with its Cinnamon desktop manager
> would be a shallow learning curve since it is similar to Windows.
> However, that won't address issues for those users of critical or gaming
> software that only runs on Windows, or the lackluster selections
> compared to Windows.

Critical software is one thing, but there is a good chance that if it
runs on Windows 10 and wasn't purchased in the last year, there is a way
to get it working with Wine in Linux. Of course, it's not the simplest
process so I can understand why people won't bother. As for gaming,
chances are that if your hardware is ten years-old, you won't be playing
the latest and greatest anyway. Besides, Steam now makes it possible to
play Windows games in Linux using Proton and it works rather well. In
some cases, there is a native version of the game.

> Also, jumping from Windows to Linux means leaping from the vastly
> prevalent OS (Windows at 88% marketshare) to a vast minority OS (Linux
> at 2%). Anyone that has used any OS for awhile knows that getting
> support from the OS author is futile unless you pay for it. You get
> help from a peer community. At a party of 100, you have a better chance
> of getting help by 88 of the participants instead of just 2.

That is true, but I have confidence that most computer users here aren't
helpless and would be able to either find a solution through a search
engine if they don't simply figure it out on their own.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 Computer Test

<1258471694@f156.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55483

From: Mickey@f156.n1.z21.fsxnet (Mickey)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:00:45 +1200
 by: Mickey - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:00 UTC

On 14 Sep 2021, Paul said the following...
Pa> You'll be in the hot place and still running Windows 10.
Pa>
Pa> Remember there will be 900,000,000 other people in the
Pa> same position.

It does'nt surprise me that Hell would rely on Windows 10. :-)

Mick Manning
-(< centralontarioremote.com:2323 >)-
-(< Tradewars 2002 @ Port 2002 >)-
-(< CanadaNET IRC @ Port 6667 >)-