From: mike.swift@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 11 Updates Checker
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:35:20 +0100
 by: Mike Swift - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:35 UTC

In article <rruojgljj9cc7j3om2d1dfk036ngvddida@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> writes
>>Some of you might be interested to see if your current machine is compatible to
>run
>Windows 11. You can download a privately created tool for that purpose and that
>purpose only. It is based on current information available from Microsoft Website.
>>

>><https://www.easeus.com/campaign/2021-windows11-update-solutions.html>
>
>That says that my i7-6800K CPU is incompatible with Windows 11.
>
>Bugger!

Strange, the old Microsoft check failed my less than 18 month old AMD
Ryzon 3 CPU and TCM, if found out how to turn on the TCM but the CPU
still fails despite it being on the latest Microsoft permitted list, how
old is this checker?

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: Windows 11 Updates Checker

<shici9$1i68$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55275&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55275

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:56:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:56 UTC

Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <rruojgljj9cc7j3om2d1dfk036ngvddida@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
> <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> writes
>>> Some of you might be interested to see if your current machine is
>>> compatible to
>> run
>> Windows 11. You can download a privately created tool for that purpose
>> and that
>> purpose only. It is based on current information available from
>> Microsoft Website.
>>>

>>> <https://www.easeus.com/campaign/2021-windows11-update-solutions.html>
>>
>> That says that my i7-6800K CPU is incompatible with Windows 11.
>>
>> Bugger!
>
> Strange, the old Microsoft check failed my less than 18 month old AMD
> Ryzon 3 CPU and TCM, if found out how to turn on the TCM but the CPU
> still fails despite it being on the latest Microsoft permitted list, how
> old is this checker?
>
> Mike

Microsoft keeps lists. One for Intel. One for AMD.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

The TPM is supposed to be 2.0, but 1.2 might work.
There is a panel in Windows 10, for TPM, which can
display details of what is present. You could have
a physical TPM chip, or the BIOS provides fTPM.

The chance of "fixing up a system" from a TPM point
of view, is pretty slim. If your processor is too old,
the effort would be a waste.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 Updates Checker

<4j3%I.40434$md6.21202@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55277&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55277

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:46:23 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:46 UTC

On 2021-09-11 9:56 a.m., Paul wrote:
> Mike Swift wrote:
>> In article <rruojgljj9cc7j3om2d1dfk036ngvddida@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
>> <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> writes
>>> run
>>> Windows 11. You can download a privately created tool for that
>>> purpose and that
>>> purpose only. It is based on current information available from
>>> Microsoft Website.

>>> That says that my i7-6800K CPU is incompatible with Windows 11.
>>>
>>> Bugger!
>>
>> Strange, the old Microsoft check failed my less than 18 month old AMD
>> Ryzon 3  CPU and TCM, if found out how to turn on the TCM but the CPU
>> still fails despite it being on the latest Microsoft permitted list,
>> how old is this checker?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Microsoft keeps lists. One for Intel. One for AMD.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements
>

> The TPM is supposed to be 2.0, but 1.2 might work.
> There is a panel in Windows 10, for TPM, which can
> display details of what is present. You could have
> a physical TPM chip, or the BIOS provides fTPM.
>
> The chance of "fixing up a system" from a TPM point
> of view, is pretty slim. If your processor is too old,
> the effort would be a waste.

I can't help but notice that the i7-4710HQ in my previous laptop is not
supported by any of the operating systems according to that document.
Meanwhile, it installed 21H1 without issue. Is it possible that updates
keep coming through unless Microsoft _blacklists_ them? In other words,
if they don't appear in the document, they are automatically supported?

I know that old machine won't support Windows 11 and I'll be happy to
put Tumbleweed back on there once the support officially ends but if it
has a chance of installing 11 despite not officially being supported and
not having TPM or TPP, I'll take it.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 Updates Checker

<dbipjg5nrsjneou2vpe37esnh0igbv072k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55278

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 16:23:39 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:23 UTC

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:56:25 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>The chance of "fixing up a system" from a TPM point
>of view, is pretty slim. If your processor is too old,
>the effort would be a waste.

TPM 2.0 modules are listed on Amazon and eBay for not very much money.
I don't know how old a motherboard would have to be to be unable of
accommodating one though.

Re: Windows 11 Updates Checker

<shiqp9$6pn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55283&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55283

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:59:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 17:59 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:56:25 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>> The chance of "fixing up a system" from a TPM point
>> of view, is pretty slim. If your processor is too old,
>> the effort would be a waste.
>>
> TPM 2.0 modules are listed on Amazon and eBay for not very much money.
> I don't know how old a motherboard would have to be to be unable of
> accommodating one though.

There are some, um, rough edges.

1) The TPM chip has firmware. You can flash it.
It can be flashed down from 2.0 mode to 1.2 mode.

2) The BIOS needs a support code module, to access the TPM.
On a motherboard from the TPM 1.2 header era, the
code is there for 1.2, but not for 2.0. The TPM could
well be ignored, with old BIOS code is all that is available.

I detected a bit of whining in some reviews of that stuff,
which indicate it's not as easy as it looks. One person
seems to have done (1) and got TPM 1.2 operation from
his "upgrade". But there was also whining that Asus could
have done more to make these products workable. There was
also some exploit that could be bandaided by flashing
something, and that's not available for everything that is
for sale.

You'd have to invest some amount of time in research,
to discover a sequence that worked to give some value for money.

One thing I tried to find, was a separate plugin card with
a TPM on it. As then, the manufacturer could provide a
config space EEPROM to boot up the TPM. And the idea
there would be, that would solve part of the BIOS level
problem. But it would really depend on whether there is
a standardized API, such that if the card "registered"
with the BIOS, it would be hooked up "for free" with
the TPM subsystem in the UEFI BIOS. The thing is, much of
what the TPM does, has security requirements, which means
it's not going to register as easily as a SATA card might.

Even though there is that header on a lot of motherboards,
it's just not a portable subsystem, intended to support
new variants easily. While fTPM might be less useful as
a security tool, it's also an enabler to getting stuff done.

If I gave a hundred people money to buy a TPM of the
type their motherboard used, about ninety nine of them
would be sporting a hood ornament of the non-functional
variety. That's the problem. One guy got some value out
of what he bought, but he also managed to track down some
sort of flasher for it.