Debug is human, de-fix divine.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

SubjectAuthor
* Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and noRobin Goodfellow
+* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
|`* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anallen
| +- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeRene Lamontagne
| `- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
+* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeRabidHussar
|`* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
| `* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeRabidHussar
|  +* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
|  |`* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|  | +* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timesms
|  | |+- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
|  | |+* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (annospam
|  | ||`* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|  | || +* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (annospam
|  | || |`- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|  | || `- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeAlan Baker
|  | |`- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|  | `* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (annospam
|  |  `- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|  +- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRod Speed
|  `* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY timeJolly Roger
|   `- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
+* Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow
|`- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anAndreas Rutishauser
`- Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (anRobin Goodfellow

Pages:12
Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shgq89$1h13$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55257&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55257

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:37:47 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:37 UTC

Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
(and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?

What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?

With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother ship.
And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app installations.

What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?
--
We're always talking unrooted & not jailbroken consumer operating systems.
Note ChromeOS and iOS are extremely similar in all ways (they're OS twins).

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shh2i3$g7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55258&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55258

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:59:31 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 01:59 UTC

On 2021-09-10 4:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?

'How to use an iPhone without an Apple ID

If you don't want to use an Apple ID on your iPhone then you don't have
to. Here's how to set it up without one'

<https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/use-iphone-without-apple-id-3779932/#:~:text=You'll%20see%20a%20dialog,iPhone%20without%20an%20Apple%20ID.>

> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?

Assumes your falsehood is true.

> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother ship.

You've never had to have an AppleID for Mac OS either.

> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app installations.
>
> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shh74o$2d8h6$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55259&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55259

From: allen@spam.com (allen)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 19:17:47 -0800
 by: allen - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 03:17 UTC

Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> said:
> On 2021-09-10 4:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
>> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?
>
> 'How to use an iPhone without an Apple ID
>
> If you don't want to use an Apple ID on your iPhone then you don't have
> to. Here's how to set it up without one'
>
> <https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/use-iphone-without-apple-id-3779932/#:~:text=You'll%20see%20a%20dialog,iPhone%20without%20an%20Apple%20ID.>
>

>> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?
>
> Assumes your falsehood is true.
>

>> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother ship.
>
> You've never had to have an AppleID for Mac OS either.
>
>> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app installations.
>>
>> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?

iOS 12.7 changed all that with the removal of the App Store.

Where previously you could once download apps onto your Mac and manage your
mobile devices from there, you now have to download apps directly onto your
device.

But without the Apple ID on the device, you can't download any apps to that
device. Catch 22.

The device is no longer fully functional because it lacks an Apple ID
logging into Apple when it's rebooted.

"Apple requires an "Apple ID" to make everything work. An Apple ID
authenticates your identity and is required whenever you log into an Apple
device to keep everything synced up."
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-id/

By requiring the Apple ID to download apps Apple mines all your data.

"What data is Apple collecting?
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-id/

When you use an Apple ID and especially when using an Apple ID with iCloud,
Apple collects certain data about you.

This includes your name, address, phone number, and device and app purchase
history (with serial numbers and other info for all your devices), along
with iCloud access logs, phone call and message metadata, repair
transactions, and more.

Apple has specifics on the data that it collects on its website, and there's
also a feature for requesting and downloading a copy of all of the data that
Apple has collected about you."

Without the Apple ID, iOS isn't able to download any apps and all the apps
that were downloaded stop working.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3853195
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8011068

Catch 22.

After iOS 12.7, anyone without the Apple ID cannot download any apps from
the Apple App Store but that's the only way to download the apps to do
anything. The iOS device is not fully functional without the Apple ID.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<iq2m0kFdq9pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55260&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55260

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 22:27:15 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 03:27 UTC

On 2021-09-10 10:17 p.m., allen wrote:
> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> said:
>> On 2021-09-10 4:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:

Apple, *BEGONE*, Waves wand.

Rene

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shh7oa$t8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55261&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55261

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 20:28:08 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 03:28 UTC

On 2021-09-10 8:17 p.m., allen wrote:
> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> said:
>> On 2021-09-10 4:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>>> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
>>> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?
>>
>> 'How to use an iPhone without an Apple ID
>>
>> If you don't want to use an Apple ID on your iPhone then you don't have
>> to. Here's how to set it up without one'
>>
>> <https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/use-iphone-without-apple-id-3779932/#:~:text=You'll%20see%20a%20dialog,iPhone%20without%20an%20Apple%20ID.>
>>

>>> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?
>>
>> Assumes your falsehood is true.
>>

>>> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother ship.
>>
>> You've never had to have an AppleID for Mac OS either.
>>
>>> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app installations.
>>>
>>> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?
>>>

> iOS 12.7 changed all that with the removal of the App Store.
>
> Where previously you could once download apps onto your Mac and manage your
> mobile devices from there, you now have to download apps directly onto your
> device.
>
> But without the Apple ID on the device, you can't download any apps to that
> device. Catch 22.

OK. Create an empty AppleID. You don't even need to use your real name...

....Arlen

> The device is no longer fully functional because it lacks an Apple ID
> logging into Apple when it's rebooted.

What makes you think that an iPhone "log[s] into Apple when it's
rebooted"...

....Arlen?

> "Apple requires an "Apple ID" to make everything work. An Apple ID
> authenticates your identity and is required whenever you log into an Apple
> device to keep everything synced up."
> https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-id/

Except you don't have to "keep everything synced up".

You can keep all your data local if that's your preference.

> By requiring the Apple ID to download apps Apple mines all your data.

Nope.

> "What data is Apple collecting?
> https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-id/
>
> When you use an Apple ID and especially when using an Apple ID with iCloud,
> Apple collects certain data about you.
>
> This includes your name, address, phone number, and device and app purchase
> history (with serial numbers and other info for all your devices), along
> with iCloud access logs, phone call and message metadata, repair
> transactions, and more.
>
> Apple has specifics on the data that it collects on its website, and there's
> also a feature for requesting and downloading a copy of all of the data that
> Apple has collected about you."

And yet, you didn't actually look to the source.

You don't have to use iCloud for anything.

> Without the Apple ID, iOS isn't able to download any apps and all the apps
> that were downloaded stop working.
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3853195
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8011068
>
> Catch 22.
>
> After iOS 12.7, anyone without the Apple ID cannot download any apps from
> the Apple App Store but that's the only way to download the apps to do
> anything. The iOS device is not fully functional without the Apple ID.

But the AppleID can be essentially empty...

....Arlen

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<C43%I.22243$6u6.9249@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55276&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55276

you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:30:58 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:30 UTC

On 2021-09-10 7:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?
>
> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?
>
> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother ship.
> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app installations.
>
> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?

Apple needs to make sure you don't need it to hold your hand every time
you decide to do something dangerous like use a computer all by your
lonesome.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shiq4d$on1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55281&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55281

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:47:57 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 17:47 UTC

On 2021-09-11 7:30 a.m., RabidHussar wrote:
> On 2021-09-10 7:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
>> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?
>>
>> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?
>>
>> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the mother
>> ship.
>> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app
>> installations.
>>
>> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like this?
>
> Apple needs to make sure you don't need it to hold your hand every time
> you decide to do something dangerous like use a computer all by your
> lonesome.

Apple provides a set of services that people value.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<W16%I.36145$2B4.312@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55282&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55282

you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:52:54 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 17:52 UTC

On 2021-09-11 1:47 p.m., Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2021-09-11 7:30 a.m., RabidHussar wrote:
>> On 2021-09-10 7:37 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>>> Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot
>>> (and not Windows, Linux, or Android) in order to be fully functional?
>>>
>>> What's so different about this clear lack of mother-ship privacy on iOS?
>>>
>>> With Windows, Linux, and Android you never need to log into the
>>> mother ship.
>>> And you _still_ have full and complete functionality for app
>>> installations.
>>>
>>> What's so _different_ about iOS that it's the only OS crippled like
>>> this?
>>
>> Apple needs to make sure you don't need it to hold your hand every
>> time you decide to do something dangerous like use a computer all by
>> your lonesome.
>>

> Apple provides a set of services that people value.

Then why are you Apple users so unsatisfied with their services that you
continue to venture into this newsgroup to promote your garbage in an
effort to make yourself feel better about the amount of money you wasted?

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shir82$e4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55284&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55284

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:06:56 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:06 UTC

On 2021-09-11 10:52 a.m., RabidHussar wrote:
> On 2021-09-11 1:47 p.m., Alan Baker wrote:

>>> Apple needs to make sure you don't need it to hold your hand every
>>> time you decide to do something dangerous like use a computer all by
>>> your lonesome.
>>>

>> Apple provides a set of services that people value.
>
> Then why are you Apple users so unsatisfied with their services that you
> continue to venture into this newsgroup to promote your garbage in an
> effort to make yourself feel better about the amount of money you wasted?

I'm not unsatisfied.

Sorry.

The fact that you cannot figure out why I'm here bothers me not in the
slightest.

Simple fact:

I do computer support for a living. I used to primarily assist people
with Apple computers. But over the last decade, that has faded away. The
people with Macs and iPhones don't need much support.

On the other hand, Windows 10 continues to be an absolute godsend for a
support consultant, and people pay me very good money to fix the things
that Microsoft screws up.

Here's an example:

A client of mine was suddenly unable to send emails using Outlook. She'd
hit "Send", but they'd never make it out of the outbox. No error
message: they just wouldn't go.

After investigating for a while, I discovered that, somehow, the "Name"
field in the account setup for that email which used to be her name had
been replaced with a bunch of spaces. Changing it back to her name fixed it.

Now, you can argue that it's a good thing that Outlook won't send an
email without the person's name, but...

....how is it possibly a good thing that it does so without ever telling
you WHY?

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shivia$1qdi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55289&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55289

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:20:44 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:20 UTC

Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> asked
> Now, you can argue that it's a good thing that Outlook won't send an
> email without the person's name, but...

The question is why?

The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
load any apps when every other common consumer operating system does not
require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?

Windows doesn't require a login to Microsoft to be fully functional.
Android doesn't require a login to Google to be fully functional.
Linux doesn't require a login to RedHat/Canonical to be fully functional.
etc.

And yet, iOS, like Google's ChromeOS, requires a login to download apps.

In almost every way, iOS is an identical twin of Google's ChromeOS product.
In almost every way, iOS is the antithesis of the other operating systems.

The question is why?

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shivv4$fvs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55290&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55290

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:27:30 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:27 UTC

On 9/11/2021 12:20 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> asked
>> Now, you can argue that it's a good thing that Outlook won't send an
>> email without the person's name, but...
>
> The question is why?
>
> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
> load any apps when every other common consumer operating system does not
> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?

Not sure that it does. I've found that on iOS some apps require my Apple
ID and password, some require FaceID, TouchID or a passcode, and some
don't require any authentication other than the phone being unlocked
already. I suspect that apps that are not free, and that sell stuff in
the app, have the stricter requirements.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shj06b$j5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55291&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55291

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:31:21 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:31 UTC

On 2021-09-11 12:27 p.m., sms wrote:
> On 9/11/2021 12:20 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> asked
>>> Now, you can argue that it's a good thing that Outlook won't send an
>>> email without the person's name, but...
>>
>> The question is why?
>>
>> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
>> load any apps when every other common consumer operating system does not
>> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use
>> every day?
>
> Not sure that it does. I've found that on iOS some apps require my Apple
> ID and password, some require FaceID, TouchID or a passcode, and some
> don't require any authentication other than the phone being unlocked
> already. I suspect that apps that are not free, and that sell stuff in
> the app, have the stricter requirements.

What's more, you can create an AppleID without any real personal
information.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<110920211536411292%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55292&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55292

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:36:41 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:36 UTC

In article <shivia$1qdi$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> Windows doesn't require a login to Microsoft to be fully functional.

to be fully functional (your words), yes it does.

without a microsoft account, some functionality will be unavailable.

you might not care about that functionality, but many people do.

windows 11 requires a microsoft account.

> Android doesn't require a login to Google to be fully functional.

to be fully functional, yes it does.

without a google account, some functionality will be unavailable.

you might not care about that functionality, but many people do.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<110920211536431383%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55293

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:36:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:36 UTC

In article <shivv4$fvs$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> I've found that on iOS some apps require my Apple
> ID and password,

none do.

> some require FaceID, TouchID or a passcode,

some do, such as banking apps, password managers, etc.

> and some
> don't require any authentication other than the phone being unlocked
> already.

most apps are in that category.

authenticating just to get the weather, listen to music or play a game
does not make any sense.

> I suspect that apps that are not free, and that sell stuff in
> the app, have the stricter requirements.

as usual, you suspect wrong.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shj2lc$1213$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55297

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:13:33 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:13 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
>> load any apps when every other common consumer operating system does not
>> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?
>
> Not sure that it does. I've found that on iOS some apps require my Apple
> ID and password, some require FaceID, TouchID or a passcode, and some
> don't require any authentication other than the phone being unlocked
> already. I suspect that apps that are not free, and that sell stuff in
> the app, have the stricter requirements.

If we don't understand the answer to the question, we don't understand OS's.

Apple doesn't advertise iOS lacks basic privacy - but that doesn't change
the fact that _only_ iOS lacks the basic privacy of mothership snooping).

Hence this isn't a question of what - since iOS' lack of privacy is fact.

Try to download apps on your iOS device _without_ an Apple ID next time.
https://i.postimg.cc/zfJY7yNT/applenotsetup01.jpg

The question remains...

Why is iOS so _different_ from all other common consumer operating systems?
(other than ChromeOS, of course, which is a copy of the iOS restrictions)

*Why does only iOS lack basic privacy* (from the mother ship snooping)?
--
If we don't understand the answer, then we don't understand the OS's.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<iq4hpjFot11U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55298

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 06:27:29 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:27 UTC

RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote
> Alan Baker wrote

>>> Apple needs to make sure you don't need it to hold your hand every time
>>> you decide to do something dangerous like use a computer all by your
>>> lonesome.
>>>

>> Apple provides a set of services that people value.
>
> Then why are you Apple users so unsatisfied with their services that you
> continue to venture into this newsgroup to promote your garbage in an
> effort to make yourself feel better about the amount of money you wasted?

We don’t. That pathetic excuse for a troll that constantly changes its
nick, currently using Goodfellow and allan is the one cross posting.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<iq4i4lFoseoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55299

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: 11 Sep 2021 20:33:25 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:33 UTC

On 2021-09-11, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

> continue to venture into this newsgroup

Hey, dipshit. If you take a look at the OP, you'll see that Arlen (aka
"Robin Goodfellow" and a slew of other nyms is who spammed this message to
three unrelated newsgroups. You can't blame anyone in each of these
newsgroups for responding. Try being more observant and less of a
anti-Apple shill sometime.

JR

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shj97h$1lq5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55304&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55304

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:05:40 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:05 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
> authenticating just to get the weather, listen to music or play a game
> does not make any sense.

The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
load any apps *when every other common consumer operating system does not*
require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?

Apple mines that personal login information, Google & Microsoft can't.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shj9he$1pj6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55305&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55305

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:10:56 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:10 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> asked
> Try being more observant and less of a
> anti-Apple shill sometime.

Notice how much the Apple apologists _hate_ almost all facts about Apple?
They hate Apple only _advertises_ privacy without ever delivering it.

FACT:
The kind of privacy we all expect and get on all other common consumer
operating systems doesn't even _exist_ on iOS (neither with ChromeOS).

The question is why?
--
If you don't understand the answer, then you don't understand the OS's.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<110920211816075226%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55306&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55306

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:16:07 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:16 UTC

In article <shj97h$1lq5$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
> load any apps

there is no need to login to use ios.

> *when every other common consumer operating system does not*
> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?

windows 10 and 11 do for store apps.

windows 10s only allows store apps, which means a microsoft account is
required.

windows 10 makes it *really* hard to avoid creating a microsoft
account, although it's possible.

windows 11 home requires a microsoft account.

> Apple mines that personal login information,

nope.

> Google & Microsoft can't.

oh yes they certainly can, and do.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shja59$3fr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55307&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55307

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:21:28 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:21 UTC

On 2021-09-11 3:05 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> authenticating just to get the weather, listen to music or play a game
>> does not make any sense.
>
> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
> load any apps *when every other common consumer operating system does not*
> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?
>
> Apple mines that personal login information, Google & Microsoft can't.

Google's whole business model is mining your information.

That's how they make their money.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shjafl$4b0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55308&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55308

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:27:04 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:27 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> Windows doesn't require a login to Microsoft to be fully functional.
>
> to be fully functional (your words), yes it does.

Why is it only iOS that doesn't have the basic privacy of the other OS's?

I have all the apps I've even wanted on my Windows 10 Pro desktops,
which I simply copy from one Windows machine to the other for years.

Microsoft isn't involved.
Microsoft never was involved.

This kind of privacy is _impossible_ on iOS (and you know that is fact).

> without a microsoft account, some functionality will be unavailable.

While any _individual_ Microsoft app (such as Skype) may require a login,
the login is not a set part of the operating system like it is with iOS.

Both iOS & ChromeOS don't have common basic privacy of Android & Windows.
Why?

> you might not care about that functionality, but many people do.
> windows 11 requires a microsoft account.

Every company would love to _mine_ customer data like Apple does.

With Android & Windows 10 you don't need to set the operating system to a
mother-ship account in order to download apps - but on iOS & ChromeOS you
do.

Why?

>> Android doesn't require a login to Google to be fully functional.
>
> to be fully functional, yes it does.
>
> without a google account, some functionality will be unavailable.
>
> you might not care about that functionality, but many people do.

Tell us what functionality is not available without setting your Android
phone to the Google Account.

I haven't had a Google Account on my Android phones for many years, and I
can easily do _everything_ I need to do (e.g., browse, navigate, email,
text, sync, backup, reset, restore, calendar, reminders, firewall, adblock,
archive, extract, download, rip, google camera, google recorder &
translator, file explorer, smb clients, webdav & ftp servers, launchers,
etc.).

Tell us nospam, what _functionality_ can't I do on my Android phone that I
would want to do without setting the Android operating system to any
mother-ship account).

Even if you could name one thing, that still doesn't change the fact you
can't download _anything_ on iOS without logging into the mother ship.

Why is it only iOS that doesn't have the basic privacy of the other OS's?

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shjboa$gtk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55310

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:48:44 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:48 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> The question is _why_ iOS requires a login to the mother ship in order to
>> load any apps
>
> there is no need to login to use ios.

FACT:
*You can't download iOS App Store apps without a mother-ship account.*
Worse, those apps won't work on almost any iOS device in the world either.

On Android, even without a mother-ship account, you can download _anything_.
And, in almost all cases, those apps (if free) work on almost all devices.

Better yet, Google is out of the loop when you populate any new Android.
https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg 1600 APKs extracted onto Windows
https://i.postimg.cc/cLXyGjTH/apk02.jpg 16GB of APK app storage on Windows
https://i.postimg.cc/j2g26zws/apk03.jpg Updates WITHOUT a Google account
https://i.postimg.cc/02jbkHFr/apk04.jpg Sort & display apps how you like
https://i.postimg.cc/mgFkM1bs/apk05.jpg Sort by install or last update
https://i.postimg.cc/Gt53TdVt/apk06.jpg View every activity in each app
https://i.postimg.cc/MZPpFmHw/apk07.jpg Analyze by first install or update
https://i.postimg.cc/Jhxs4VrD/apk08.jpg Sort by install or update date
https://i.postimg.cc/sx1X6hXh/apk09.jpg Find & install APKs over the web
https://i.postimg.cc/3rbWynSC/apk10.jpg Save APKs on sdcard or storage

Yet again, such *basic privacy is _impossible_ on the crippled iOS devices*.
The question is why?

>> *when every other common consumer operating system does not*
>> require a mother ship login just to install the apps that you use every day?
>
> windows 10 and 11 do for store apps.

Name just _one_ Microsoft Store app that most people want and need that
requires a login in order to obtain (which can't be obtained otherwise).

Name just one.

> windows 10s only allows store apps, which means a microsoft account is
> required.

Stop bullshitting us, nospam. I've converted _plenty_ of Windows 10S
machines to Windows Home (and I even wrote the tutorials for others).

It's the _first_ thing I do when I am confronted with a Windows 10S machine,
where I actually _prefer_ them as I get them about fifty bucks cheaper.

> windows 10 makes it *really* hard to avoid creating a microsoft
> account, although it's possible.

I have _plenty_ of Windows 10 Pro and Home machines.
None have a Microsoft account set up in the operating system.

And yet I can not only download all the free apps I need, I can swap apps
among Windows 10 devices at will and they almost always work on all PCs.

Android is the same way where I have over 1,600 APKs stored on Windows:
https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg

Populating _any_ Android phone with your previous apps doesn't require
Google, while *populating iOS phones _requires_ the Apple mother ship*.

The question is why?
*Why is it only iOS that doesn't provide the privacy of Android or Windows*?

> windows 11 home requires a microsoft account.
>
>> Apple mines that personal login information,
>
> nope.

Notice how the apologists brazenly deny what even Apple openly admits to.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208650

Apologists brazen lies work find on the toy OS newsgroups because the
clientele on an iOS newsgroup is ignorant - but when nospam denies known
facts on the adult OS newsgroups, he always gets his head handed to him.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208650
"An Apple ID is the personal account you use to access Apple services like
iCloud, the App Store and other Apple online stores, iMessage, and
FaceTime, and to access your content across all your devices and the web.
Your Apple ID includes the information you use to sign in, as well as all
the contact, payment, and security details, such as trusted phone numbers
or security questions, that you use across Apple services. Apple retains
your device's name, serial number, and other hardware identifiers to
provide you with better service and support, including as a convenience to
display the warranty status of your device and to check your eligibility
for service offers. You can edit your Apple ID information and view a list
of your devices on your Apple ID account page at appleid.apple.com.

When you sign in with your Apple ID you will enable services such as
iCloud, the iTunes Store, the App Store, iMessage, FaceTime, and
Find My on this iPhone.

Your Apple ID account information will be used with each service
and certain data from your device, including your contacts, calendars,
photos, documents, health, activity, Safari tabs, and other app data,
will be sent to Apple to store and back up on your behalf."

What's revealing is that the apologists always deny what even Apple admits.
>> Google & Microsoft can't.
>
> oh yes they certainly can, and do.

The fact remains that both Android & Windows work fine with full
functionality without setting the operating system to the mother ship.

It's only iOS (and its twin, ChromeOS) that don't have this basic privacy.
The question is why?
--
If you don't know the answer to the question, then you don't know the OS's.

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shm5fg$1an3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55345&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55345

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:20:03 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:20 UTC

What am I missing by not having an account on the Samsung Galaxy Store?

The penultimate time I've had a Samsung was the S3, which I loved for about
five or so years, but the Samsung Store didn't exist in those days (AFAIK).

Now I have a handful of free 64GB Galaxy A32 5G phones courtesy of T-Mo
https://i.postimg.cc/YC1B906F/tmopromo01.jpg
Each of which asks to create a "Samsung Account".

I don't even have a Google account on my phone, let alone a Samsung Account,
and, so far, I've fully populated the phone with well over a thousand APKs.
https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg

Most were scraped off Google's repo using the Aurora Google Play client.
https://auroraoss.com/

But I'm curious what I might be missing given I don't have access to the
Samsung Galaxy version of the Google Play store.

What am I missing by not having an account on the Samsung Galaxy Store?

Re: Why is it that only iOS requires a mother-ship login EVERY time you boot (and not Windows, Linux, or Android)?

<shm5hs$1bfs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55346&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55346

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:21:19 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:21 UTC

What am I missing by not having an account on the Samsung Galaxy Store
given I can fully populate any Android phone from my Windows 10 PC?

The penultimate time I've had a Samsung was the S3, which I loved for about
five or so years, but the Samsung Store didn't exist in those days (AFAIK).

Now I have a handful of free 64GB Galaxy A32 5G phones courtesy of T-Mo
https://i.postimg.cc/YC1B906F/tmopromo01.jpg
Each of which asks to create a "Samsung Account".

I don't even have a Google account on my phone, let alone a Samsung Account,
and, so far, I've fully populated the phone with well over a thousand APKs.
https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg

Most were scraped off Google's repo using the Aurora Google Play client.
https://auroraoss.com/

But I'm curious what I might be missing given I don't have access to the
Samsung Galaxy version of the Google Play store.

What am I missing by not having an account on the Samsung Galaxy Store?
(Note _all_ this functionality is missing on my crippled iOS devices.)