"Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in the morning." -- Marlo Thomas

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows and gmail

SubjectAuthor
* Windows and gmailphilo
+- Re: Windows and gmailBig Al
+* Re: Windows and gmailJonathan N. Little
|`* Re: Windows and gmailphilo
| `* Re: Windows and gmailKen Blake
|  `- Re: Windows and gmailCarlos E. R.
+* Re: Windows and gmailPaul
|+* Re: Windows and gmailBig Al
||`- Re: Windows and gmailPaul
|`- Re: Windows and gmailphilo
+* Re: Windows and gmailChris
|`* Re: Windows and gmailphilo
| +- Re: Windows and gmailBig Al
| +- Re: Windows and gmailJonathan N. Little
| `- Re: Windows and gmailChris
+- Re: Windows and gmailRabidHussar
+* Re: Windows and gmail...w¡ñ§±¤n
|+- Re: Windows and gmailphilo
|`- Re: Windows and gmailRabidHussar
+- Re: Windows and gmailCarlos E. R.
`- Re: Windows and gmailJohn Doe

1
Windows and gmail

<shdjcb$bsv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55192

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows and gmail
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 13:22:01 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:22 UTC

This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
Gmail

In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.

If I create a shortcuts for both accounts

the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.

There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.

What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdjub$g52$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55193&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55193

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows and gmail
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:31:38 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:31 UTC

On 9/9/21 2:22 PM, this is what philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
That's typically what I do. FF=me Edge=wife. Also it's just a matter of clicking on the avatar and changing the ID. I've made unique
avatars so I know who is logged in. A simple 500x500 jpg with a letter is sufficient.

This doesn't apply, but I had a similar issue with google drive, my wife stores here recipe files there but all the tablets/phones are my
login so we simply shared her recipe folder on drive.google.com with me. Now my login gets her recipe folder. I'm sure you don't want
that with mail though.

I have see links now and then use some extended info to ID a specific person. Out link to the electronic newspaper in the area comes with a
large link:
https://............../default.aspx?pubid=39374209xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx
I think the pubid is the key, maybe there is something like that in mail.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdkc0$jdp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55195&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55195

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:38:55 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:38 UTC

philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Nope. Web linked to which ever account your browser is logged in
as...not can you get mail from multiple gmail accounts in the same
browser at the same time, requires a client like Thunderbird.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdkro$ne6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55197&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55197

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 14:47:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:47 UTC

philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Browsers keep cookies.

Browsers have DOM storage.

This allows an evil application (GMail), to keep
the particulars of the person doing the last session.

There is an assumption that people do not share browsers.

And the cookies.sqlite file, really does keep a lot of
information. I was shocked at how many advertising
pointers were stored in there, and once cookies.sqlite
was deleted, how "random" the advertising was after that.

*******

On Windows, each individual should log out, and the next
individual log in. The "profiles.ini", the Profiles folder,
can then be different for each individual.

C:\users\Philo

C:\users\MaryLou

When you log in, you're using your own home directory,
and the profile is buried down there, somewhere.

C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
profiles.ini
Profiles\

C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
profiles.ini
Profiles\

*******

C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
profiles.ini
Profiles\

C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
profiles.ini
Profiles\

See all the degrees of freedom ? Logging out and
logging in as the new user, gives each user their
own set of profiles. If you have two browsers,
their profiles are separated too.

If MaryLou has two GMail accounts, she can do

Seamonkey ( MaryLou@gmail.com )
Firefox ( sexylady@gmail.com )

and so on.

Paul

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdl4t$pda$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55198&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55198

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:52:12 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:52 UTC

On 9/9/21 2:47 PM, this is what Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> Browsers keep cookies.
>
> Browsers have DOM storage.
>
> This allows an evil application (GMail), to keep
> the particulars of the person doing the last session.
>
> There is an assumption that people do not share browsers.
>
> And the cookies.sqlite file, really does keep a lot of
> information. I was shocked at how many advertising
> pointers were stored in there, and once cookies.sqlite
> was deleted, how "random" the advertising was after that.
>
> *******
>
> On Windows, each individual should log out, and the next
> individual log in. The "profiles.ini", the Profiles folder,
> can then be different for each individual.
>
>    C:\users\Philo
>
>    C:\users\MaryLou
>
> When you log in, you're using your own home directory,
> and the profile is buried down there, somewhere.
>
>    C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    *******
>
>    C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
> See all the degrees of freedom ? Logging out and
> logging in as the new user, gives each user their
> own set of profiles. If you have two browsers,
> their profiles are separated too.
>
> If MaryLou has two GMail accounts, she can do
>
>      Seamonkey ( MaryLou@gmail.com )
>      Firefox   ( sexylady@gmail.com )
>
> and so on.
>
>    Paul
Would it be logical then to make two profiles for firefox for example, and to shortcuts launching the appropriate profiles
firefox -p MaryLou
firefox -p Bullwinkle
???
Could both instances of Firefox work at the same time this way?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdmel$12r4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55202&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55202

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 15:14:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:14 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 9/9/21 2:47 PM, this is what Paul wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often
>>> with Gmail
>>>

>>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>>
>>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>>
>>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>>

>>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same
>>> browser.
>>>

>>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>>
>> Browsers keep cookies.
>>
>> Browsers have DOM storage.
>>
>> This allows an evil application (GMail), to keep
>> the particulars of the person doing the last session.
>>
>> There is an assumption that people do not share browsers.
>>
>> And the cookies.sqlite file, really does keep a lot of
>> information. I was shocked at how many advertising
>> pointers were stored in there, and once cookies.sqlite
>> was deleted, how "random" the advertising was after that.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> On Windows, each individual should log out, and the next
>> individual log in. The "profiles.ini", the Profiles folder,
>> can then be different for each individual.
>>
>> C:\users\Philo
>>
>> C:\users\MaryLou
>>
>> When you log in, you're using your own home directory,
>> and the profile is buried down there, somewhere.
>>
>> C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>> profiles.ini
>> Profiles\
>>
>> C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>> profiles.ini
>> Profiles\
>>
>> *******
>>
>> C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>> profiles.ini
>> Profiles\
>>
>> C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>> profiles.ini
>> Profiles\
>>
>> See all the degrees of freedom ? Logging out and
>> logging in as the new user, gives each user their
>> own set of profiles. If you have two browsers,
>> their profiles are separated too.
>>
>> If MaryLou has two GMail accounts, she can do
>>
>> Seamonkey ( MaryLou@gmail.com )
>> Firefox ( sexylady@gmail.com )
>>
>> and so on.
>>
>> Paul
> Would it be logical then to make two profiles for firefox for example,
> and to shortcuts launching the appropriate profiles
> firefox -p MaryLou
> firefox -p Bullwinkle
> ???
> Could both instances of Firefox work at the same time this way?

Sure.

Plus or minus any "furballs" involved with Firefox.
Like, if it didn't exit properly, just before the
second user came along. It's possible the one code
instance, continues to use the profile it was
launched with.

And to be honest with you, if you "Switch Users" and
Firefox is still running, I don't know if the OS does
a sufficiently good job of isolating the users.
Maybe that's done with the Session Number ?

In some ways, the "use two browsers" dodge, has its
attractions.

When you build these things from source, sometimes
one of the "benefits" is the build makes a portable
folder for you to work in. And that's supposed to be
separate from your release copy.

There is no lack of mechanisms - what makes me nervous
is how bulletproof they are.

Paul

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdqlg$h9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55204&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55204

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:26:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6VICbMF0h/ZJ/jH8BW+FRbYcP3k=
 by: Chris - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:26 UTC

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

This is what user accounts are for. Give them their own user accounts.

I can't see how linux is a special in case as it's all to do with browser
cookies.

Re: Windows and gmail

<pmu_I.26256$6U3.2804@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55209

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:43:59 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:43 UTC

On 2021-09-09 2:22 p.m., philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Have the browser delete cookies and sessions every time it is closed.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdsfp$bj6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55210&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55210

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:57:29 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:57 UTC

philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Set up each user in a separate Windows logon profile.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdsr1$djp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55211&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55211

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:03:29 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:03 UTC

On 9/9/21 1:38 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
>> Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> Nope. Web linked to which ever account your browser is logged in
> as...not can you get mail from multiple gmail accounts in the same
> browser at the same time, requires a client like Thunderbird.

Yes. I use Thunderbird for all my mail ...it works very well.

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdstm$djp$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55212&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55212

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:04:54 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:04 UTC

On 9/9/21 1:47 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often
>> with Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same
>> browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> Browsers keep cookies.
>
> Browsers have DOM storage.
>
> This allows an evil application (GMail), to keep
> the particulars of the person doing the last session.
>
> There is an assumption that people do not share browsers.
>
> And the cookies.sqlite file, really does keep a lot of
> information. I was shocked at how many advertising
> pointers were stored in there, and once cookies.sqlite
> was deleted, how "random" the advertising was after that.
>
> *******
>
> On Windows, each individual should log out, and the next
> individual log in. The "profiles.ini", the Profiles folder,
> can then be different for each individual.
>
>    C:\users\Philo
>
>    C:\users\MaryLou
>
> When you log in, you're using your own home directory,
> and the profile is buried down there, somewhere.
>
>    C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    *******
>
>    C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
>    C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
>        profiles.ini
>        Profiles\
>
> See all the degrees of freedom ? Logging out and
> logging in as the new user, gives each user their
> own set of profiles. If you have two browsers,
> their profiles are separated too.
>
> If MaryLou has two GMail accounts, she can do
>
>      Seamonkey ( MaryLou@gmail.com )
>      Firefox   ( sexylady@gmail.com )
>
> and so on.
>
>    Paul

I am often dealing with elderly people who have trouble with logging out
and logging in

Re: Windows and gmail

<mb9q0ixre1.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55213

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:02:14 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:02 UTC

On 09/09/2021 20.22, philo wrote:
> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail
>

> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>
> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>
> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>

> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

Possible solutions:

- Have two laptops

- If not, have two users defined in Windows, and do change user
depending on who is sitting at the computer. Neither of both users
should not have admin rights; have a different user(s) be the admin(s).
Each user would have their different browsers and data. Same as in Linux ;-)

You can switch from one user to other, although not as fast or as
conveniently as in Linux (in Linux is just press ctrl-alt-f8, or
ctrl-alt-f7 to go back).

- If not, then define two Firefox profiles. Yes, they can be used at
the "same" time, meaning they can both be opened at the same time. There
is an add-on I don't remember the name which can add a short different
name to the tittle bar so that you can differentiate both instances.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdt17$djp$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55214

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:06:47 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:06 UTC

On 9/9/21 3:26 PM, Chris wrote:
> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
>> Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> This is what user accounts are for. Give them their own user accounts.
>
> I can't see how linux is a special in case as it's all to do with browser
> cookies.

I was just experimenting and it did work with Linux Firefox

I could put a shortcut on my desktop.

That said. Linux is hardly perfect, other browsers would not let me put
a shortcut on the desktop but I could on the taskbar

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdt2b$djp$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55216&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55216

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:07:23 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:07 UTC

On 9/9/21 3:57 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often
>> with Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same
>> browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> Set up each user in a separate Windows logon profile.

I guess that would be best, thanks

Re: Windows and gmail

<UTu_I.150860$T_8.52081@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55220&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55220

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:19:41 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:19 UTC

On 2021-09-09 4:57 p.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often
>> with Gmail
>>

>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>
>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>
>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>

>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same
>> browser.
>>

>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>
> Set up each user in a separate Windows logon profile.

Actually, yes. This would have been the most obvious way to go. :)

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows and gmail

<shdu84$nbh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55222

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:27:32 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:27 UTC

On 9/9/21 5:06 PM, this is what philo wrote:
> On 9/9/21 3:26 PM, Chris wrote:
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
>>> Gmail
>>>

>>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>>
>>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>>
>>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>>

>>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>>

>>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>>
>> This is what user accounts are for. Give them their own user accounts.
>>
>> I can't see how linux is a special in case as it's all to do with browser
>> cookies.
>>

> I was just experimenting and it did work with Linux Firefox
>
> I could put a shortcut on my desktop.
>
> That said. Linux is hardly perfect, other browsers would not let me put a shortcut on the desktop but I could on the taskbar
You can put Firefox on the desktop. Make a 'launcher'. It's simple. At least in Mint Cinnamon.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Windows and gmail

<ipvi5lFpvqkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55224&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55224

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:03:16 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:03 UTC

On 9/9/2021 2:03 PM, philo wrote:
> On 9/9/21 1:38 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
>>> Gmail
>>>

>>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>>
>>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>>
>>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>>

>>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>>

>>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>>
>> Nope. Web linked to which ever account your browser is logged in
>> as...not can you get mail from multiple gmail accounts in the same
>> browser at the same time, requires a client like Thunderbird.
>>

> Yes. I use Thunderbird for all my mail ...it works very well.

Same here. All e-mail including gmail. I'm aware that many people don't
know you can do gmail in an email client, and that many people who do
know that don't want to use an e-mail client, but as I've said here
before, it boggles my mind that anyone prefers to do e-mail in a
browser. As far as I'm concerned, it's the worst possible way to do e-mail.

--
Ken

Re: Windows and gmail

<iogq0ixr38.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55225&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55225

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 01:08:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:08 UTC

On 10/09/2021 01.03, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 9/9/2021 2:03 PM, philo wrote:
>> On 9/9/21 1:38 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> Yes. I use Thunderbird for all my mail ...it works very well.
>

> Same here. All e-mail including gmail. I'm aware that many people don't
> know you can do gmail in an email client, and that many people who do
> know that don't want to use an e-mail client, but as I've said here
> before, it boggles my mind that anyone prefers to do e-mail in a
> browser. As far as I'm concerned, it's the worst possible way to do e-mail.

The browser is easier to configure - ie, no configuration at all.

1 - type gmail at the browser, which always sits at google search page
on every computer the world over.
2 - type login and password
3 - done.

Nah, of course I never do that, I use Thunderbird. Just telling one
reason they don't. I've seen it :-p

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Windows and gmail

<sheroq$im4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55237&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55237

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 01:51:20 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 05:51 UTC

philo wrote:
> That said. Linux is hardly perfect, other browsers would not let me put
> a shortcut on the desktop but I could on the taskbar

That because of the GNOME people idiotic edict. I fixed by swapping out
Nautilus for Nemo and got a functioning desktop back.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Windows and gmail

<shevnc$861$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55240&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55240

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 06:58:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+P+jOvSSPS7GpfDCHYZM+Ad8o0Q=
 by: Chris - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 06:58 UTC

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 9/9/21 3:26 PM, Chris wrote:
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
>>> Gmail
>>>

>>> In houses with couples, each has their own gmail account.
>>>
>>> If I create a shortcuts for both accounts
>>>
>>> the browser will ALWAYS open to the the last account logged into.
>>>

>>> There mist be a way to run two separate gmail sessions on the same browser.
>>>

>>> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser
>>
>> This is what user accounts are for. Give them their own user accounts.
>>
>> I can't see how linux is a special in case as it's all to do with browser
>> cookies.
>>

> I was just experimenting and it did work with Linux Firefox

I suspect you logged out or deleted the cookies when shutting down firefox
as there's no OS-specific reason why it would work in linux but not
windows.

That could be an idea, btw, set firefox to delete all cookies when closing
down and then instruct the couple to shutdown firefox each time they're
finished.

> I could put a shortcut on my desktop.
>
> That said. Linux is hardly perfect, other browsers would not let me put
> a shortcut on the desktop but I could on the taskbar

Yeah many DEs have copied the mac and only allow apps in the launcher or
taskbar.

Re: Windows and gmail

<shevpt$12t$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55241&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55241

From: always.look@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 07:00:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 07:00 UTC

philo wrote:

> This problem does not exist on Linux but I've seen it all too often with
> Gmail

Those are 2 very different things.

> What I typically have to do is setup a 2nd browser

That's your tool.

I have Firefox installed for limited purposes, but plenty useful. Multiple
browsers can be used for many different things anyway. And since Google
controls the Gmail interface in the browser, it's hardly a chore for anyone
to use a different browser to check email. It's still only one shortcut per
user. If it were 4 people, maybe not. Most ordinary users can benefit from
more than one browser. Just give them some example uses if they need
convincing.

Downloading YouTube videos outside of Chrome, and other YouTube purposes.

Checking website functionality.

Surely many other uses for at least TWO browsers.