USENET would be a better laboratory if there were more labor and less oratory. -- Elizabeth Haley

computers / alt.internet.wireless / Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

SubjectAuthor
* [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocaWally J
+* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofThe Real Bev
> [...]
|       | | +- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofsms
|       | | `- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoFrank Slootweg
|       | `* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoChar Jackson
|       |  `* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoFrank Slootweg
|       |   `* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoChar Jackson
|       |    `* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoFrank Slootweg
|       |     +- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofsms
|       |     `- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoChar Jackson
|       `- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoWolf Greenblatt
+- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofJörg Lorenz
+- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofJeff Layman
+- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofAndy Burns
+* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoNewyana2
|`- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoFrank Slootweg
`* Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geoDavid Higton
 `- Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment ofcandycanearter07

Pages:12
[Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<ueiql2$3p8so$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=550&group=alt.internet.wireless#550

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Subject: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:29:06 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 01:29 UTC

Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this reference?
*How Maps finds your current location*
<https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid>

Maps estimates where you are from sources like:
a. GPS:
Maps uses satellites to know your location up to around 20 meters.
When you're inside buildings or underground, the GPS is sometimes
inaccurate.
b. Wi-Fi: The location of nearby Wi-Fi networks helps Maps know
where you are.
c. Cell tower: Your connection to mobile data can be accurate
up to a few thousand meters."

Note the use of "mobile data" (and not "cellular data") in the above.

I was always aware that Google "could" use at least four types of data
1. GPS (which, IMHO, is perfectly sufficient alone for most needs)
2. Wi-Fi (i.e., your SSID/BSSID/dBm/GPS uploaded by your rude neighbors)
3. IP address geolocation (often more to the ISP's datacenter than you)
4. Cellular tower location (these are unique - but maps are proprietary)

Previously I was unaware Maps was actually _using_ cell-tower geolocation.
If Google Maps is using cell-tower geolocation, how do you turn that off?

Where do they get the database given they're supposedly not published by
the cellular carriers (although they are open sourced widely otherwise)?

Do you have a better reference on how "cellular tower geolocation" is used
on Android and do you have a better reference on how to turn it off?
--
I'll also ask the privacy question on the XDA Developers site found here...
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/m/galaxya325g.11604613/recent-content>

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uej5gj$3uioq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=551&group=alt.internet.wireless#551

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Subject: Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:34:24 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 04:34 UTC

On 9/21/23 6:29 PM, Wally J wrote:
> Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
> obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this reference?
> *How Maps finds your current location*
> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid>
>
> Maps estimates where you are from sources like:
> a. GPS:
> Maps uses satellites to know your location up to around 20 meters.
> When you're inside buildings or underground, the GPS is sometimes
> inaccurate.
> b. Wi-Fi: The location of nearby Wi-Fi networks helps Maps know
> where you are.
> c. Cell tower: Your connection to mobile data can be accurate
> up to a few thousand meters."
>
> Note the use of "mobile data" (and not "cellular data") in the above.
>
> I was always aware that Google "could" use at least four types of data
> 1. GPS (which, IMHO, is perfectly sufficient alone for most needs)
> 2. Wi-Fi (i.e., your SSID/BSSID/dBm/GPS uploaded by your rude neighbors)
> 3. IP address geolocation (often more to the ISP's datacenter than you)
> 4. Cellular tower location (these are unique - but maps are proprietary)
>
> Previously I was unaware Maps was actually _using_ cell-tower geolocation.
> If Google Maps is using cell-tower geolocation, how do you turn that off?
>
> Where do they get the database given they're supposedly not published by
> the cellular carriers (although they are open sourced widely otherwise)?
>
> Do you have a better reference on how "cellular tower geolocation" is used
> on Android and do you have a better reference on how to turn it off?

Put the phone in airplane mode?

I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
services on it can't see me.

--
Cheers, Bev
I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uej5id$f22i$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=552&group=alt.internet.wireless#552

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 06:35:25 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 04:35 UTC

Am 22.09.23 um 03:29 schrieb Wally J:
> Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
> obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this reference?

Arlen, you are the wisenheimer of this group.
Epic fail.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uejilc$3c1b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=553&group=alt.internet.wireless#553

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:18:52 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:18 UTC

On 22/09/2023 02:29, Wally J wrote:
> Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
> obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this reference?
> *How Maps finds your current location*
> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid>
>
> Maps estimates where you are from sources like:
> a. GPS:
> Maps uses satellites to know your location up to around 20 meters.
> When you're inside buildings or underground, the GPS is sometimes
> inaccurate.
> b. Wi-Fi: The location of nearby Wi-Fi networks helps Maps know
> where you are.
> c. Cell tower: Your connection to mobile data can be accurate
> up to a few thousand meters."
>
> Note the use of "mobile data" (and not "cellular data") in the above.
>
> I was always aware that Google "could" use at least four types of data
> 1. GPS (which, IMHO, is perfectly sufficient alone for most needs)
> 2. Wi-Fi (i.e., your SSID/BSSID/dBm/GPS uploaded by your rude neighbors)
> 3. IP address geolocation (often more to the ISP's datacenter than you)
> 4. Cellular tower location (these are unique - but maps are proprietary)
>
> Previously I was unaware Maps was actually _using_ cell-tower geolocation.
> If Google Maps is using cell-tower geolocation, how do you turn that off?
>
> Where do they get the database given they're supposedly not published by
> the cellular carriers (although they are open sourced widely otherwise)?
>
> Do you have a better reference on how "cellular tower geolocation" is used
> on Android and do you have a better reference on how to turn it off?

Not answering your question, but don't forget that Google can find you
even with location supposedly turned off. "Personal Safety" recently
appeared in my list of system apps during an update (it might already
have been there and in use but didn't appear until the update). Under
the section "Crisis alerts", it states "Personal safety uses your
device's location to find info about the crises affecting your area,
even when the app is closed or not in use.". There is a link to "learn
more". This opens another help page apparently relating to Pixel phones.
It notes I am using a custom version of Android, and that the "steps
might not apply". The page is at:
<https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7055029#crisis_alert>

There is a long section in "Get help during an emergency" about "Send
your location automatically". It starts "Your phone uses Emergency
Location Service (ELS) only when you call or text and emergency number.
If your phone has ELS turned on, ELS may use Google Location Services
*and other info* (my emphasis!) to determine the most accurate location
for your phone during an emergency call...".There's a link at the end to
location sharing with Google Maps. What the "other info" is it doesn't say.

None of this may be relevant, but it shows that Google can access
location information even when its supposedly turned off.

--

Jeff

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<kn55nqFlvulU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=554&group=alt.internet.wireless#554

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:40:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:40 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> I was unaware Maps was actually using cell-tower geolocation.
> If Google Maps is using cell-tower geolocation, how do you turn that
> off?

Under Settings > Location > Location Services > Google Location Accuracy
there's an "improve location accuracy" toggle, if you turn that off
it'll only use GPS without WiFi/Mobile.

> Where do they get the database given they're supposedly not published
> by the cellular carriers
Google have billions of android devices, many/most of which will have
GPS enabled, those devices can report where they are and which
cell-towers they can "see" along with signal strengths. It's not hard
for them to build a database of towers from that.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uek11g$7kop$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=555&group=alt.internet.wireless#555

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:23:23 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:23 UTC

"Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote

| Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
| obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this
reference?
| *How Maps finds your current location*

To carry a cellphone turned on is to wear a tracking
collar. You ccan make some adjustments, but if you
dopn't want to be tracked then power off your cellphone
when you're not using it. To want to keep your location
private while using these services is missing the point.

Many services won't work at all without location. Uber,
restaurant recommendations, real-time dating apps...
Many free app developers get paid by selling your
private data.

Do you know about Google geofencing? It's a paying
business for them. Some of the Jan 6 rioters were
caught that way:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/19/google-geofence-warrants/

Some years ago there was also an article about iPhones
storing a log of location data. The reporter used it to create
a map of where he had been for several weeks.

If you want privacy then use maps on a computer and
preferably avoid Google maps. I actually wrote my own
software that gets Bing maps if I need a map. But of
course, most cellphone addicts these days don't know how to
read maps, so they use Waze. Once again, an app that's
of no use without knowing your location.

Long story short, you've missed the concept of living
on a cellphone. Most people who live that way see these
intrusions as services. They don't care about privacy.
It's like you put an ad in the paper to advertise your
yard sale and now you're complaining that people are
coming to your house.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<ueki5t.3hs.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=556&group=alt.internet.wireless#556

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 22 Sep 2023 15:16:56 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:16 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/23 6:29 PM, Wally J wrote:
[...]
> > Do you have a better reference on how "cellular tower geolocation" is used
> > on Android and do you have a better reference on how to turn it off?
>
> Put the phone in airplane mode?
>
> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
> services on it can't see me.

Nope. Google Maps doesn't *show* *you* (or someone else?) where you
are. There's no proof that *Google* doesn't know where you are.

In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
that!

[Rewind/repeat:]
> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
> services on it can't see me.

In the latter case, was 'Mobile data' off or on?

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uekbo5$9jou$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=557&group=alt.internet.wireless#557

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:27:01 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:27 UTC

On 9/22/23 10:16, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
> location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
> do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
> your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
> that!

And they removed the "don't be evil" slogan

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uekj7h.9bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=558&group=alt.internet.wireless#558

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 22 Sep 2023 15:34:49 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

Newyana2 <Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote
>
> | Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
> | obtains your location using cell tower data as described in this
> | reference?
> | *How Maps finds your current location*
>
> To carry a cellphone turned on is to wear a tracking
> collar. You ccan make some adjustments, but if you
> dopn't want to be tracked then power off your cellphone
> when you're not using it. To want to keep your location
> private while using these services is missing the point.
>
> Many services won't work at all without location. Uber,
> restaurant recommendations, real-time dating apps...
> Many free app developers get paid by selling your
> private data.
>
> Do you know about Google geofencing? It's a paying
> business for them. Some of the Jan 6 rioters were
> caught that way:
>
> https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/19/google-geofence-warrants/
>
> Some years ago there was also an article about iPhones
> storing a log of location data. The reporter used it to create
> a map of where he had been for several weeks.
>
> If you want privacy then use maps on a computer and
> preferably avoid Google maps. I actually wrote my own
> software that gets Bing maps if I need a map. But of
> course, most cellphone addicts these days don't know how to
> read maps, so they use Waze. Once again, an app that's
> of no use without knowing your location.

Well, you can use offline navigation apps on a smartphone and turn on
Airplane mode. That way the app will use GPS and there's no possible
connection to any 'service'. Guess what I use when in the Outback in
Australia? :-) No mobile/Wi-Fi signal in the air anywhere (only
satellites).

But in general you're of course right, most people are visible most of
the time. *They* might not know where they are, but Google *does*! :-)

> Long story short, you've missed the concept of living
> on a cellphone. Most people who live that way see these
> intrusions as services. They don't care about privacy.
> It's like you put an ad in the paper to advertise your
> yard sale and now you're complaining that people are
> coming to your house.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uekh84$b5r4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=559&group=alt.internet.wireless#559

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:00:52 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:00 UTC

On 9/22/23 8:16 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/21/23 6:29 PM, Wally J wrote:
> [...]
>> > Do you have a better reference on how "cellular tower geolocation" is used
>> > on Android and do you have a better reference on how to turn it off?
>>
>> Put the phone in airplane mode?
>>
>> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
>> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
>> services on it can't see me.
>
> Nope. Google Maps doesn't *show* *you* (or someone else?) where you
> are. There's no proof that *Google* doesn't know where you are.
>
> In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
> location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
> do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
> your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
> that!
>
> [Rewind/repeat:]
>> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
>> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
>> services on it can't see me.
>
> In the latter case, was 'Mobile data' off or on?

I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.

--
Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uekrl9.f9g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=560&group=alt.internet.wireless#560

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:58 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/23 8:16 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 9/21/23 6:29 PM, Wally J wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Put the phone in airplane mode?
> >>
> >> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
> >> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
> >> services on it can't see me.
> >
> > Nope. Google Maps doesn't *show* *you* (or someone else?) where you
> > are. There's no proof that *Google* doesn't know where you are.
> >
> > In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
> > location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
> > do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
> > your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
> > that!
> >
> > [Rewind/repeat:]
> >> I just found out that MY location is picked up by google maps only via
> >> wifi+location services. With wifi off and cell service+location
> >> services on it can't see me.
> >
> > In the latter case, was 'Mobile data' off or on?
>
> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.

Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.

Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
'Mobile data' on/off toggle?

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<qaorgi91snm2neigjctmprn1ij1csvbm0b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=561&group=alt.internet.wireless#561

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:49:25 +0100
 by: Roger - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:49 UTC

On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Nope. Google Maps doesn't *show* *you* (or someone else?) where you
>> > are. There's no proof that *Google* doesn't know where you are.
>> >
>> > In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
>> > location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
>> > do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
>> > your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
>> > that!
>> >
>> > [Rewind/repeat:]
>> >
>> > In the latter case, was 'Mobile data' off or on?
>>
>> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
>> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
>
> Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>
> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?

Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data
--
Roger

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<8df109e85a.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=562&group=alt.internet.wireless#562

From: dave@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:37:04 +0100
 by: David Higton - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:37 UTC

In message <ueiql2$3p8so$1@dont-email.me>
Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
> obtains your location using cell tower data

The timing of the RF burst returned by your phone gives your approximate
range from the cell tower. One tower just gives a ring centred on the
tower; the intersections of two or more rings from other towers reduce
the uncertainty.

If your phone is on and able to make and receive calls, there's nothing
you can do to prevent gathering this information.

It can be used by emergency services to locate callers if GPS data are
not available.

David

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<6vsrgilipspg1pfdc7vsigletkdm9a124v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=563&group=alt.internet.wireless#563

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:10:40 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:10 UTC

On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Nope. Google Maps doesn't *show* *you* (or someone else?) where you
>> > are. There's no proof that *Google* doesn't know where you are.
>> >
>> > In modern Android versions, you can no longer really turn off all
>> > location determination. All you can do is limit what *your* *apps* can
>> > do, but you can not prevent other Google/Android components to determine
>> > your location. You can only 'trust' Google to do no evil. Good luck with
>> > that!
>> >
>> > [Rewind/repeat:]
>> >
>> > In the latter case, was 'Mobile data' off or on?
>>
>> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
>> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
>
> Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>
> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?

I would just add that a Mobile Data switch probably isn't actually needed. My
phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20FE, doesn't appear to have such a switch, but it does
have Airplane Mode, which does the same thing.

If I wanted to disable only Mobile Data, I would have to enable Airplane Mode,
which disables mobile data, WiFi, and BT, then manually re-enable WiFi and BT.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uel07j$dlqa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=564&group=alt.internet.wireless#564

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:16:32 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:16 UTC

On 9/22/23 11:49 AM, Roger wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg
> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
>>> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
>>
>> Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>>the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>>etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>>page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>>
>> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>
> Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data

Ah. Settings | Mobile network (movistar) | Mobile data on/off and
Roaming on/off. Both were on. I was told that Keepgo used T-Mobile and
AT&T. When I was setting it up the guy said that it was ok to leave
movistar there (as if I had an actual choice). Movistar is a Spanish
network and Keepgo is supposedly in Spain. OK...

--
Cheers, Bev
I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"
The next day I bought 47 more.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uel0l7$do5v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=565&group=alt.internet.wireless#565

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:23:49 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:23 UTC

On 9/22/23 1:10 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
>>> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
>>
>> Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>>the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>>etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>>page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>>
>> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>
> I would just add that a Mobile Data switch probably isn't actually needed. My
> phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20FE, doesn't appear to have such a switch, but it does
> have Airplane Mode, which does the same thing.

Mostly I worry about battery drain, but there doesn't seem to be an
accurate way of determining the relative usage of wifi-readiness and
phone-readiness. If I can get 3 years out of a battery which costs me
$60 to have replaced I shouldn't whine. People pay more than $20 for a
SANDWICH, for chrissake!

> If I wanted to disable only Mobile Data, I would have to enable Airplane Mode,
> which disables mobile data, WiFi, and BT, then manually re-enable WiFi and BT.

Just think, there are people living today who don't give even half a
shit about any of this stuff -- they just buy a new phone, pay their
phone bill and get on with life!

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uel540$ehbi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=566&group=alt.internet.wireless#566

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:40:00 +0100
 by: Wally J - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:40 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>>>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>>
>> Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data
>
> Ah. Settings | Mobile network (movistar) | Mobile data on/off and
> Roaming on/off. Both were on. I was told that Keepgo used T-Mobile and
> AT&T. When I was setting it up the guy said that it was ok to leave
> movistar there (as if I had an actual choice). Movistar is a Spanish
> network and Keepgo is supposedly in Spain. OK...

This might be beyond TheRealBev's interest, but I wrote a few tutorials
recently on how to make _everything_ you want to set a single tap.
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tutorial-illustrated-mostly-privacy-based-one-tap-shortcuts-so-that-you-can-access-in-a-single-tap-any-buried-android-setting-or-app-activity.4625951/#post-88989959>

No longer do you need to dig into the Android settings to change stuff.
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/m/galaxya325g.11604613/recent-content>

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uel5ol$ekg3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=567&group=alt.internet.wireless#567

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:51:00 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:51 UTC

Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote

>> Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>>'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>
> I would just add that a Mobile Data switch probably isn't actually needed. My
> phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20FE, doesn't appear to have such a switch, but it does
> have Airplane Mode, which does the same thing.
>
> If I wanted to disable only Mobile Data, I would have to enable Airplane Mode,
> which disables mobile data, WiFi, and BT, then manually re-enable WiFi and BT.

As Frank Slootweg said, every phone I've ever seen has a mobile-data on/off
switch - which is usually right next to the other on/off radio switches.

But be advised, there are intelligent settings that can modify that.

For example, on my Android 13 Samsung Galaxy, these are in the setup.
Settings > Connections Data usage > Mobile data only apps
"Set apps to always use mobile data,
even when your phone is connected to Wi-Fi"

In addition, if you're sophisticated user, you can use NetGuard which will
prevent some apps (like Google Maps) from using cellular data geolocation.
<https://netguard.me/>

Both will probably block the Google Maps geolocation of your Wi-Fi address.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<ueli2k$eoio$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=568&group=alt.internet.wireless#568

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:21:08 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 02:21 UTC

On 9/22/23 14:37, David Higton wrote:
> In message <ueiql2$3p8so$1@dont-email.me>
> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here have more technical information as to how Google Maps
>> obtains your location using cell tower data
>
> The timing of the RF burst returned by your phone gives your approximate
> range from the cell tower. One tower just gives a ring centred on the
> tower; the intersections of two or more rings from other towers reduce
> the uncertainty.
>
> If your phone is on and able to make and receive calls, there's nothing
> you can do to prevent gathering this information.
>
> It can be used by emergency services to locate callers if GPS data are
> not available.
>
> David

So that's how emergency services get your position.. neat!

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uemtjs.dvk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=569&group=alt.internet.wireless#569

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 23 Sep 2023 12:44:30 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:44 UTC

Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> >The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
> >> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
> >
> > Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
> >the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
> >etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
> >page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
> >
> > Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
> >'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>
> I would just add that a Mobile Data switch probably isn't actually
> needed. My phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20FE, doesn't appear to have such
> a switch, but it does have Airplane Mode, which does the same thing.
>
> If I wanted to disable only Mobile Data, I would have to enable Airplane Mode,
> which disables mobile data, WiFi, and BT, then manually re-enable WiFi and BT.

But Airplane mode also disables calls and SMS. That's why most phones
have a 'Mobile data' on/off toggle, in addition to all the other ones.

Example scenario: At home, streaming video. I don't want to risk that
a WiFi problem makes my phone switch to Mobile data, so I switch off
Mobile data and still can get/make calls (and get/send SMS (Yeah,
*right*!)).

Does your phone have a - probably swipe-down - panel with icons which
work as on/off toggles for things like WiFi, Sound, Bluetooth, Location,
Airplane mode, etc.?

If so - no offense intended - can you drag/swipe down that panel to
get more toggles and more pages?

For example, my swipe-down panel initially shows 5 toggles (I can
configure which ones). If I drag/swipe it down further, I get 2 rows of
4 toggles each. If I swipe left the extended panel, I get 3 more pages
of 8 toggles each.

The settings part (three vertical dots) calls this panel the 'Quick
panel', which term I assume is also used on other Samsung phones.

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uemv46.57c.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=570&group=alt.internet.wireless#570

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: 23 Sep 2023 13:10:09 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:10 UTC

Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg
> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> >The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> >> I can choose 'airplane mode' on/off and wifi on/off. I hunted around for
> >> a 'mobile data'/other choice with no success.
> >
> > Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
> >the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
> >etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
> >page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
> >
> > Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
> >'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>
> Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data

No, that's the settings/configuration part, i.e. not for day-to-day
use.

I mean a - probably swipe-down - panel which has icons for each of the
above functions and these icons function as on/off toggles, i.e. you tap
the icon to switch the function (for example WiFi) on or off.

On most phones. there's also such an icon/toggle for Mobile data. On
my phone. the icon is two white arrows - one up, one down - in a blue
(when on) circle. If the panel is not extended, it only shows the icons.
If it is extended, it shows the icon with its description ('Mobile
data').

Does you Pixel 6a have such a panel with on/off icons/toggles? If so,
how do you get to it?

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uen1us$rpuu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=571&group=alt.internet.wireless#571

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:58:18 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:58 UTC

On 9/23/23 6:10 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg
>> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>> >the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>> >etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>> >page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>> >
>> > Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>> >'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>>
>> Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data
>
> No, that's the settings/configuration part, i.e. not for day-to-day
> use.
>
> I mean a - probably swipe-down - panel which has icons for each of the
> above functions and these icons function as on/off toggles, i.e. you tap
> the icon to switch the function (for example WiFi) on or off.
>
> On most phones. there's also such an icon/toggle for Mobile data. On
> my phone. the icon is two white arrows - one up, one down - in a blue
> (when on) circle. If the panel is not extended, it only shows the icons.
> If it is extended, it shows the icon with its description ('Mobile
> data').
>
> Does you Pixel 6a have such a panel with on/off icons/toggles? If so,
> how do you get to it?

The Pixel2 has the swipe-down thing. No data on/off, but there is a
data-saver icon which turns off data downloading in the background --
which I just turned on.

Looking at the battery-usage history I see a number of apps using
minuscule amounts of battery even though I had NOT used those apps.
We'll see if this setting fixes that. Using MY battery to do unwanted
stuff is definitely undesirable.

I just noticed that some apps have a yes/no background battery usage
restriction toggle. YESSSSS!

It would be really nice if there were a BIG online manual for Androids.
Having to discover stuff by wandering around randomly in the dark is
less than desirable.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Do not try to solve all life's problems at once -- learn to

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<434ugi1v0fe3ba40vk8kk4kag56v59rri7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=572&group=alt.internet.wireless#572

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:53:42 +0100
 by: Roger - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:53 UTC

On 23 Sep 2023 13:10:09 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 22 Sep 2023 17:58:43 GMT, Frank Slootweg
>> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>[...]
>> >
>> > Hmmm!? Strange!? On most phones the 'Mobile data' on/off toggle is on
>> >the same panel as the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane mode', 'Location',
>> >etc. toggles. My panel has 4 pages and I can arrange what goes on which
>> >page, so perhaps your 'Mobile data' toggle is not on the main page.
>> >
>> > Can someone with a Pixel <whatever> tell Bev where to look for the
>> >'Mobile data' on/off toggle?
>>
>> Pixel 6a. Settings / Network and Internet / SIMs / Mobile data
>
> No, that's the settings/configuration part, i.e. not for day-to-day
>use.
>
> I mean a - probably swipe-down - panel which has icons for each of the
>above functions and these icons function as on/off toggles, i.e. you tap
>the icon to switch the function (for example WiFi) on or off.
>
> On most phones. there's also such an icon/toggle for Mobile data. On
>my phone. the icon is two white arrows - one up, one down - in a blue
>(when on) circle. If the panel is not extended, it only shows the icons.
>If it is extended, it shows the icon with its description ('Mobile
>data').
>
> Does you Pixel 6a have such a panel with on/off icons/toggles? If so,
>how do you get to it?

Not quite as what you described. Swipe down then Internet gives
two toggles: mobile operator name and Wi-Fi. Press operator name
and a box appears "Turn off mobile data?". The options are Turn
off and Cancel.
--
Roger

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uen6n9$38hvq$1@novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=573&group=alt.internet.wireless#573

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:19:37 +0800
 by: Patrick - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:19 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:58:18 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> The Pixel2 has the swipe-down thing. No data on/off, but there is a
> data-saver icon which turns off data downloading in the background --
> which I just turned on.

On almost everyone's phone, there is a swipe-down icon for data on/off.
That icon looks like a "two way traffic" sign (arrow down + arrow up).

If it's not there, it "could" have been removed by a user since you only
get to put four, five or six icons in that top swipe-down panel.

As an example, the first image in this big online manual doesn't have it.
https://www.urtech.ca/2020/08/solved-the-complete-guide-to-icons-on-android-devices/
https://www.urtech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Common-Android-Icons-Explained.jpg

Neither does the first icon image here (so it might not be the default).
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3640523/android-12-quick-settings.html
https://images.idgesg.net/images/article/2021/11/01-android-12-quick-settings-old-100911545-large.jpg

Mine is set to these which I use the most frequently for example
1. Wi-Fi on/off
2. Data on/off
3. Sound on/off
4. Location on/off
5. Airplane on/off

But there is a further swipe (or a settings gear icon) to change them.
https://www.howtogeek.com/725118/how-to-change-the-navigation-buttons-or-gestures-on-android/

Oddly, that site also doesn't have the required icon in the image.
https://static1.howtogeekimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2021-04-26_15-37-18.png

This site doesn't have the up/down data on/off image in the first image.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/change-quick-settings-android/

So I think the default may be that the data on/off icon isn't there.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/quick_settings_3.png

But later on in that same article they show you how to put it there.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/quick_settings_7.png

> Looking at the battery-usage history I see a number of apps using
> minuscule amounts of battery even though I had NOT used those apps.
> We'll see if this setting fixes that. Using MY battery to do unwanted
> stuff is definitely undesirable.
>
> I just noticed that some apps have a yes/no background battery usage
> restriction toggle. YESSSSS!
>
> It would be really nice if there were a BIG online manual for Androids.

I googled for "android manual quick settings icons explained" for you.
https://www.google.com/search%3Fq%3Dandroid%2Bmanual%2Bquick%2Bsettings%2Bicons%2Bexplained

There were too many results to reference but at least this one has the icon
that you want to add to your quick settings tiles (the two up/down arrows).
https://www.guidingtech.com/manage-android-quick-settings-menu/

The up/down data on/off icon is the first one in this image from that.
https://www.guidingtech.com/wp-content/uploads//How-to-Customize-and-Use-Quick-Settings-Menu-on-Android-2.jpg

> Having to discover stuff by wandering around randomly in the dark is
> less than desirable.

I don't think any of us ever took a class in how to use Android.
So we learned it the same way that you are learning it right now.

Once you learn it, they change it with the next Android release!

Re: [Privacy] How do we turn off Google's (recent?) employment of cell-tower geolocation data in the Google Maps app?

<uen8dv$t0kt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=574&group=alt.internet.wireless#574

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:48:47 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:48 UTC

Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote

>> Having to discover stuff by wandering around randomly in the dark is
>> less than desirable.
>
> I don't think any of us ever took a class in how to use Android.
> So we learned it the same way that you are learning it right now.

If you search the Android newsgroups for "Tutorial", you'll see that I have
spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours trying to help people like you.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/search?q=tutorial>

You'll see similar articles if you search XDA Developers for my tutorials.
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/m/galaxya325g.11604613/recent-content>

They are some of the best-written most-detailed Android tutorials on the
planet (if I do say so myself). :)

I write them because I'm one out of a million in that I truly care that
people can do what I can do - so I try to teach them (and learn from them).

I'm nothing like your average poster to Usenet... I'm not here for
amusement but to learn from others and to teach them what I can do.

And I learn from others, like Andy Burns, who know more than I ever will.

BTW, I'm working on a tutorial as we speak where these are my one-tap
shortcuts to turn all the Google invasive privacy features on/off.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x1BL0M8G/shortcut-location-accuracy04.jpg>

Note you must turn most of them on to use Google Maps - but you can
immediately turn them off when you're done with using Google Maps.

And please do note that you can _easily_ get online real-time traffic
without ever turning ANY of those location-related radios on!!!!!
*Most people don't know that tidbit!!!!!*

See my tutorial on how to get real-time online traffic without giving away
your privacy - as routing needs your location - but traffic never does!