Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRabidHussar
+* Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesPaul
|+- Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRabidHussar
|`- Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRobin Goodfellow
+* Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesVanguardLH
|+* Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRabidHussar
||`* Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRobin Goodfellow
|| `- Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRabidHussar
|`- Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesRobin Goodfellow
`- Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devicesphilo

1
Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<ukyZI.32055$2Q_3.4646@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55016&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55016

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Subject: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:25:57 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 00:25 UTC

I doubt that it's an issue for any hardware released after 8.1 came out
but for anything older which still runs Windows 10 and 11 fine, it looks
like Linux will be the only option once the Windows 10 cut-off point
happens.

<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-may-not-get-security-updates-on-unsupported-devices/>

Microsoft is turning a blind eye to a loophole that allows you to
install Windows 11 on incompatible hardware but warns that your device
may no longer receive security updates.

Since Microsoft officially announced Windows 11, they have held firm to
strict system requirements required to install the new operating system.

Unfortunately, these system requirements, including a TPM 2.0 processor
and newer CPUs, leave many Windows 10 users unable to upgrade to Windows
11 without purchasing new hardware.

This list of incompatible hardware includes devices using Intel 7th
generation and AMD Zen 1 CPUs, most of which are perfectly capable of
running Windows 11. The only exception is the 7th generation Intel Core
7820HQ CPU, which coincidentally powers Microsoft's Surface Studio 2
devices.

It seems there is a loophole to these requirements as Microsoft has told
BleepingComputer that you can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement by
performing a clean install of Windows 11 using the Media Creation Tool
or an ISO image.

However, you will still need to have at least a TPM 1.2 security
processor, and using this method will leave the PC in an unsupported state.

Microsoft has not said why they are allowing this, but it could be to
enable the enterprise to install Windows 11 on test devices.

Loophole comes with significant risks
Unfortunately, even with this loophole, there is a catch, and it's a
significant one.

Microsoft told us that Windows 11 devices in an unsupported state
wouldn't receive updates via Windows Update, which could include
security and driver updates.

As it is common for people to install hardware that does not meet system
requirements, it would not be surprising to find that many people use
this loophole to install Windows 11.

If Microsoft does not provide security updates, this poses a significant
risk to these users, especially as zero-day vulnerabilities being
exploited by threat actors are becoming more common.

It is not clear if users will be able to install updates manually
through the Microsoft Update Catalog, and if they can, this limitation
won't be as much of an issue if a user can stay on top of it.

On the other hand, if Microsoft blocks manual updates as well, this
could lead to trouble for users who attempt to install software on
incompatible hardware.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<sh6g25$sig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55017&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55017

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:42:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 01:42 UTC

RabidHussar wrote:
> I doubt that it's an issue for any hardware released after 8.1 came out
> but for anything older which still runs Windows 10 and 11 fine, it looks
> like Linux will be the only option once the Windows 10 cut-off point
> happens.
>
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-may-not-get-security-updates-on-unsupported-devices/>
>

> Microsoft is turning a blind eye to a loophole that allows you to
> install Windows 11 on incompatible hardware but warns that your device
> may no longer receive security updates.
>
> Since Microsoft officially announced Windows 11, they have held firm to
> strict system requirements required to install the new operating system.
>
> Unfortunately, these system requirements, including a TPM 2.0 processor
> and newer CPUs, leave many Windows 10 users unable to upgrade to Windows
> 11 without purchasing new hardware.
>
> This list of incompatible hardware includes devices using Intel 7th
> generation and AMD Zen 1 CPUs, most of which are perfectly capable of
> running Windows 11. The only exception is the 7th generation Intel Core
> 7820HQ CPU, which coincidentally powers Microsoft's Surface Studio 2
> devices.
>
> It seems there is a loophole to these requirements as Microsoft has told
> BleepingComputer that you can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement by
> performing a clean install of Windows 11 using the Media Creation Tool
> or an ISO image.
>
> However, you will still need to have at least a TPM 1.2 security
> processor, and using this method will leave the PC in an unsupported state.
>
> Microsoft has not said why they are allowing this, but it could be to
> enable the enterprise to install Windows 11 on test devices.
>
> Loophole comes with significant risks
> Unfortunately, even with this loophole, there is a catch, and it's a
> significant one.
>
> Microsoft told us that Windows 11 devices in an unsupported state
> wouldn't receive updates via Windows Update, which could include
> security and driver updates.
>
> As it is common for people to install hardware that does not meet system
> requirements, it would not be surprising to find that many people use
> this loophole to install Windows 11.
>
> If Microsoft does not provide security updates, this poses a significant
> risk to these users, especially as zero-day vulnerabilities being
> exploited by threat actors are becoming more common.
>
> It is not clear if users will be able to install updates manually
> through the Microsoft Update Catalog, and if they can, this limitation
> won't be as much of an issue if a user can stay on top of it.
>
> On the other hand, if Microsoft blocks manual updates as well, this
> could lead to trouble for users who attempt to install software on
> incompatible hardware.

This is hardly an immediate concern.

There are still years left in the lifecycle of Windows 10.

And who knows what will happen next, really.

As for Windows 11, it uses containers for things that have
attack surfaces. This means the risk of something happening
is different. And it might mean the details of Windows Defender
as it applies to Window 11, can be relaxed. Maybe we can have
CVEs, but they don't have to be patched in a mad rush, on
Windows 11.

But until someone learns enough details of how things work
in W11, to write a thoughtful analysis, we'll never really
know for sure.

*******

Let's take an example of your proposed course of action.

I download a popular distro, Linux Mint.

I install it. Good so far.

I reboot. Black screen. Well, not exactly black screen,
The screen is being driven, because I can see light, it's
just there is nothing drawn on it. It's a black background.

OK, I'm a typical "appliance consumer". What would I do ?

Case 2:

A kernel update comes in for my copy of Mint. I reboot.
The screen is black *again*. Fuck, I say. Maybe I can't
get the GRUB menu to appear (because, remember, I just
expect this shit to work). If I could see the GRUB menu,
and if it would respond to the Shift key like it was
supposed to, why I could select the old kernel and it
would work again.

Why are these cases near and dear to my heart ?
They happened *yesterday* !

Sure, I can fix it. I have a USB stick with an older
copy of Mint on it. That one happens to work. But it's
not the current release. I boot with the USB stick,
do a bit of fiddling around with /etc/default/grub and
I can get to a menu again. And do some more recipes.

Until the fit and finish of Linux approaches commercial
quality ("something you would consider selling, it was
that good"), well, just don't bother. The Linux people
insist we can use GUIs now, and that command line is
so 1990's. Yet, practical situations still require
a lot more effort than the average Windows user
is going to want to put into it. Boot Repair cannot
and will not repair all broken boot situations (I've tested
it, batting average is poor).

If I can't even get one of the regulars in this group,
to execute one command line command to satiate their
curiosity, what hope would we have for a billion (???)
Windows 10 users. Imagine I gave them copies of Linux Mint
for free. Then I sat by the phone, waiting for 500 million
dumb asses to phone the tech support line. Think of the
carnage. And that's just the tech support people jumping
out of second floor windows.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<6pyi387cpvc9.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55032&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55032

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 01:48:59 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 06:48 UTC

RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

> I doubt that it's an issue for any hardware released after 8.1 came out
> but for anything older which still runs Windows 10 and 11 fine, it looks
> like Linux will be the only option once the Windows 10 cut-off point
> happens.
>
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-may-not-get-security-updates-on-unsupported-devices/>

Windows 10 had a 5-year lifecycle that started July 29, 2015, so that
has already expired over a month ago. We are in the 5-year extended
lifecycle which ends Oct 2025. End of [extended] support does not
suddenly implode a product where it ceases to function. Up to you if
you need to feel supported, or you'll go commando afterward.

There are users still using Windows 7, and even Windows XP. It's not
the loss of Microsoft's support for old operating systems that impact
use of an old and unsupported version of Windows. It's the loss of
support by applications! Apps drop support, won't install, or will not
get updates, especially for vulnerabilities (i.e., security updates).
Losing Microsoft's support for the OS is not a big deal. Losing app
support is.

This is the same FUD spewed at the end of mainstream support of every
Windows version. Old news. Stupid news. For users that will continue
using Windows 10, like they have for older versions, the requirements
for Windows 11 is a non-issue.

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<sh7gd9$a09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55036&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55036

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 05:54:34 -0500
 by: philo - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 10:54 UTC

On 9/6/2021 7:25 PM, RabidHussar wrote:
> I doubt that it's an issue for any hardware released after 8.1 came out
> but for anything older which still runs Windows 10 and 11 fine, it looks
> like Linux will be the only option once the Windows 10 cut-off point
> happens.
>
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-may-not-get-security-updates-on-unsupported-devices/>
>

> Microsoft is turning a blind eye to a loophole that allows you to
> install Windows 11 on incompatible hardware but warns that your device
> may no longer receive security updates.
>
> Since Microsoft officially announced Windows 11, they have held firm to
> strict system requirements required to install the new operating system.
>
> Unfortunately, these system requirements, including a TPM 2.0 processor
> and newer CPUs, leave many Windows 10 users unable to upgrade to Windows
> 11 without purchasing new hardware.
>
> This list of incompatible hardware includes devices using Intel 7th
> generation and AMD Zen 1 CPUs, most of which are perfectly capable of
> running Windows 11. The only exception is the 7th generation Intel Core
> 7820HQ CPU, which coincidentally powers Microsoft's Surface Studio 2
> devices.
>
> It seems there is a loophole to these requirements as Microsoft has told
> BleepingComputer that you can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement by
> performing a clean install of Windows 11 using the Media Creation Tool
> or an ISO image.
>
> However, you will still need to have at least a TPM 1.2 security
> processor, and using this method will leave the PC in an unsupported state.
>
> Microsoft has not said why they are allowing this, but it could be to
> enable the enterprise to install Windows 11 on test devices.
>
> Loophole comes with significant risks
> Unfortunately, even with this loophole, there is a catch, and it's a
> significant one.
>
> Microsoft told us that Windows 11 devices in an unsupported state
> wouldn't receive updates via Windows Update, which could include
> security and driver updates.
>
> As it is common for people to install hardware that does not meet system
> requirements, it would not be surprising to find that many people use
> this loophole to install Windows 11.
>
> If Microsoft does not provide security updates, this poses a significant
> risk to these users, especially as zero-day vulnerabilities being
> exploited by threat actors are becoming more common.
>
> It is not clear if users will be able to install updates manually
> through the Microsoft Update Catalog, and if they can, this limitation
> won't be as much of an issue if a user can stay on top of it.
>
> On the other hand, if Microsoft blocks manual updates as well, this
> could lead to trouble for users who attempt to install software on
> incompatible hardware.

My cpu is not supported and though I got that warning, my updates still
work.

I am now on the release channel so that update lockout might just apply
to new beta and dev releases.

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<HEIZI.32199$2Q_3.12406@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55037&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55037

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:10:08 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:10 UTC

On 2021-09-06 9:42 p.m., Paul wrote:
> [...]
> attack surfaces. This means the risk of something happening
> is different. And it might mean the details of Windows Defender
> as it applies to Window 11, can be relaxed. Maybe we can have
> CVEs, but they don't have to be patched in a mad rush, on
> Windows 11.
>
> But until someone learns enough details of how things work
> in W11, to write a thoughtful analysis, we'll never really
> know for sure.
>
> *******
>
> Let's take an example of your proposed course of action.
>
> I download a popular distro, Linux Mint.
>
> I install it. Good so far.
>
> I reboot. Black screen. Well, not exactly black screen,
> The screen is being driven, because I can see light, it's
> just there is nothing drawn on it. It's a black background.
>
> OK, I'm a typical "appliance consumer". What would I do ?

I won't lie and say that this is something I've never experienced.

> Case 2:
>
> A kernel update comes in for my copy of Mint. I reboot.
> The screen is black *again*. Fuck, I say. Maybe I can't
> get the GRUB menu to appear (because, remember, I just
> expect this shit to work). If I could see the GRUB menu,
> and if it would respond to the Shift key like it was
> supposed to, why I could select the old kernel and it
> would work again.
>
> Why are these cases near and dear to my heart ?
> They happened *yesterday* !
>
> Sure, I can fix it. I have a USB stick with an older
> copy of Mint on it. That one happens to work. But it's
> not the current release. I boot with the USB stick,
> do a bit of fiddling around with /etc/default/grub and
> I can get to a menu again. And do some more recipes.
>
> Until the fit and finish of Linux approaches commercial
> quality ("something you would consider selling, it was
> that good"), well, just don't bother. The Linux people
> insist we can use GUIs now, and that command line is
> so 1990's. Yet, practical situations still require
> a lot more effort than the average Windows user
> is going to want to put into it. Boot Repair cannot
> and will not repair all broken boot situations (I've tested
> it, batting average is poor).

I've had some luck with it but it's mostly useless, admittedly.

> If I can't even get one of the regulars in this group,
> to execute one command line command to satiate their
> curiosity, what hope would we have for a billion (???)
> Windows 10 users. Imagine I gave them copies of Linux Mint
> for free. Then I sat by the phone, waiting for 500 million
> dumb asses to phone the tech support line. Think of the
> carnage. And that's just the tech support people jumping
> out of second floor windows.

If you're willing to stick with it, it can be rewarding but yes, Windows
is the path of least resistance for most people. I imagine that once
Windows 10 support ends, those who can will simply buy a new machine and
forget about Windows. However, I'm merely pointing out that for those
who see no reason to replace their machine because it is sufficiently
fast, Linux is an option. To give you an idea, my old MSI GT72 can't be
upgraded to Windows 11 at all. It uses a 4th generation i7 and doesn't
have TPM or TPP. However, it runs Windows 10 extremely well and will
probably still do so in 2025. It's a machine I'm reluctant to just chuck
out because its Blu-Ray drive is useful for ripping movies and CDs. Once
Microsoft tells me that Windows 10 support is over, I know that it runs
openSUSE Tumbleweed rather well and even at 10, it will perform
admirably when I install it.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<CUIZI.43454$%Z2.41496@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55038&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55038

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:27:08 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:27 UTC

On 2021-09-07 2:48 a.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
>
>> I doubt that it's an issue for any hardware released after 8.1 came out
>> but for anything older which still runs Windows 10 and 11 fine, it looks
>> like Linux will be the only option once the Windows 10 cut-off point
>> happens.
>>
>> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-may-not-get-security-updates-on-unsupported-devices/>
>
> Windows 10 had a 5-year lifecycle that started July 29, 2015, so that
> has already expired over a month ago. We are in the 5-year extended
> lifecycle which ends Oct 2025. End of [extended] support does not
> suddenly implode a product where it ceases to function. Up to you if
> you need to feel supported, or you'll go commando afterward.
>
> There are users still using Windows 7, and even Windows XP. It's not
> the loss of Microsoft's support for old operating systems that impact
> use of an old and unsupported version of Windows. It's the loss of
> support by applications! Apps drop support, won't install, or will not
> get updates, especially for vulnerabilities (i.e., security updates).
> Losing Microsoft's support for the OS is not a big deal. Losing app
> support is.
>
> This is the same FUD spewed at the end of mainstream support of every
> Windows version. Old news. Stupid news. For users that will continue
> using Windows 10, like they have for older versions, the requirements
> for Windows 11 is a non-issue.

Personally, a product that no longer patches its holes is no longer of
use to me. I'd use Linux, swallow whatever drawbacks it has and feel
good knowing that I'm getting support for as long as I insist on using
the hardware. People are free to recycle their product, even if it
works, if it makes them feel better.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<sh8p0s$12kh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55079&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55079

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:27:41 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:27 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> asked
> There are users still using Windows 7, and even Windows XP.

Somewhere in the archives we have a detailed thread on what you can do on
Windows 10 that you absolutely can't do on Windows XP (or even Windows 95).
http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com

As I recall, we couldn't even come up with ten things (other than the
meaninglessness of companies dropping support for older software version,
which, tellingly so, in almost all cases is as good or better than the newer
versions anyway).

Given those discussions, AFAICT, Windows, like Android & Linux, is mature.
IMHO, the only thing that can (and does) change now, is the hype.
--
Usually what Microsoft does is "change the GUI" (because that's visible).
Usually what Google changes is the way major OS components are updated.

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<sh8phu$18bm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55081&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55081

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:36:47 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:36 UTC

RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> asked
> Personally, a product that no longer patches its holes is no longer of
> use to me.

You'd love Apple products then because Apple caters to the scared shitless.
Windows, Linux, and Android users tend to be more knowledgeable & sensible.

> I'd use Linux, swallow whatever drawbacks it has and feel
> good knowing that I'm getting support for as long as I insist on using
> the hardware.

I think those who worry themselves sick about "support" for software are the
same type of people who waste their money on "electronics warrantees" and
completely unnecessary monthly subscriptions to things like "McAfee" scans.

They're likely also the same scared-shitless people who fall for those
Indian Microsoft Technical Support scams, which most intelligent people can
instantly detect within the first "Hello... my name is Joe" of the call.

> People are free to recycle their product, even if it
> works, if it makes them feel better.

I've tested almost every free program _ever_ suggested in these Windows and
Android (and freeware) newsgroups, and my opinion, after _decades_ of such
testing, is the older versions work just fine in almost all cases.

Even Windows 10 itself is simply a multi-recycled version of Windows 95,
where you'd be hard pressed to find even ten things you can't do on Windows
XP that you can do on Windows 10 that you'd want to do.

Those who are scared shitless deserve to move to the Apple OS's instead
since Apple operating systems are so crippled, you can't hurt yourself.
(IMHO)

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<sh8qb7$1gb2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55084&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55084

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:50:10 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:50 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> asked
> This is hardly an immediate concern.

I agree, having (like you) been through almost all the WIndfows version (I
skipped Windows 2.x because I was on UNIX workstations in those days).

The only reason to care about Windows 11 for me is the curiosity value.
> There are still years left in the lifecycle of Windows 10.

Windows 10 will be kicking for at least another decade, easily so.

> And who knows what will happen next, really.

It's a _mature_ operating system (just like Linux & Android are).

The main danger is that Microsoft will fuck it up in an attempt to make it
"different" enough to be considered a completely different operating system.

Like Canonical did with Unity (trying to copy the idiotic Mac of the day).

> But until someone learns enough details of how things work
> in W11, to write a thoughtful analysis, we'll never really
> know for sure.

What I worry most about is Microsoft doesn't understand that the menu system
was just fine with the WinXP style accordion cascade foldouts (which still
exist and which were never even removed in _any_ Windows version).

When Microsoft moved to the tiled menus, both you and I tried to wrest
control of the binary files, but it was just not worth the effort to do so.

We can easily wrest control of the alphabetical menu, but it's worthless
(IMHO) compared to a typical taskbar pullout cascade menu, so I zero it out.

My biggest worry is that Microsoft will try to make a new Windows version
_look_ like a different Windows - even as they can't make it any different
and maintain compatibility - but that's my worry nonetheless.

Otherwise, we probably should update the thread on what you can't do on
Windows XP that you can do on Windows 10 that you want to do, as we strugged
then, to find even ten things (I think we ended up with only half a dozen).

> Until the fit and finish of Linux approaches commercial
> quality ("something you would consider selling, it was
> that good"), well, just don't bother. The Linux people
> insist we can use GUIs now, and that command line is
> so 1990's. Yet, practical situations still require
> a lot more effort than the average Windows user
> is going to want to put into it. Boot Repair cannot
> and will not repair all broken boot situations (I've tested
> it, batting average is poor).

I used UNIX and Solaris and Masscomp and DEC (mostly VAX), but really, Linux
isn't all that useful to me anymore (even with CentOS and Ubuntu) except in
one circumstance, which is it deals with Apple products better than Windows
does.

If you dual boot to Ubuntu, you turn your iProducts into USB sticks with
Windows on the side, which is pretty much the only thing I use Ubuntu for
nowadays (since it has simultaneous access to all operating systems at once
whether that's Linux, Android, iOS, or Windows).

> If I can't even get one of the regulars in this group,
> to execute one command line command to satiate their
> curiosity, what hope would we have for a billion (???)
> Windows 10 users.

I wrote a tutorial for the WSL when it came out.
But I rarely use it.

Pretty much I use vim when I need to munge files, although sed/awk/grep
etc., do have their fantastic power (as you're well aware).

> Imagine I gave them copies of Linux Mint
> for free. Then I sat by the phone, waiting for 500 million
> dumb asses to phone the tech support line. Think of the
> carnage. And that's just the tech support people jumping
> out of second floor windows.

I never understood why Linux, being free, didn't kill Windows.
I think it's Microsoft Office that saved Windows.

Re: Windows 11 won't deploy security update to unsupported devices

<i3SZI.3021$7U3.673@fx24.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55085&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55085

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:52:56 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:52 UTC

On 2021-09-07 6:36 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> asked
>> Personally, a product that no longer patches its holes is no longer of
>> use to me.
>
> You'd love Apple products then because Apple caters to the scared shitless.
> Windows, Linux, and Android users tend to be more knowledgeable & sensible.

I've been an Apple user before and didn't like the experience. Of
course, this was during the time of G3, G4 and G5 processors which felt
under-powered. I started with a G3-600, then a G4-1GHz and finally a G5
1.6GHz I believe before I finally decided that I had had enough and
returned to Windows.

>> I'd use Linux, swallow whatever drawbacks it has and feel
>> good knowing that I'm getting support for as long as I insist on using
>> the hardware.
>
> I think those who worry themselves sick about "support" for software are the
> same type of people who waste their money on "electronics warrantees" and
> completely unnecessary monthly subscriptions to things like "McAfee" scans.
>
> They're likely also the same scared-shitless people who fall for those
> Indian Microsoft Technical Support scams, which most intelligent people can
> instantly detect within the first "Hello... my name is Joe" of the call.

To be honest, I happily bought the extended warranty on this laptop of
mine which also covers accidental damage because I've owned laptops
before and know that such things can easily happen. I also use McAfee
but mostly because I get it for free with my ISP service. I do think
that it is objectively better than what's bundled in Windows and since
I'm not a stranger to having my credit card defrauded and since I _know_
that malware makes its way through during a routine browsing experience,
I would rather be safe than sorry. I don't feel even slightly
emasculated in exchange for the additional comfort I receive from
professional security products.

>> People are free to recycle their product, even if it
>> works, if it makes them feel better.
>
> I've tested almost every free program _ever_ suggested in these Windows and
> Android (and freeware) newsgroups, and my opinion, after _decades_ of such
> testing, is the older versions work just fine in almost all cases.
>
> Even Windows 10 itself is simply a multi-recycled version of Windows 95,
> where you'd be hard pressed to find even ten things you can't do on Windows
> XP that you can do on Windows 10 that you'd want to do.
>
> Those who are scared shitless deserve to move to the Apple OS's instead
> since Apple operating systems are so crippled, you can't hurt yourself.
> (IMHO)

I'll admit that this is true. There is little I'm doing nowadays that I
wouldn't be able to do with an XP era machine other than rip Blu-Rays or
even watch them for that matter. Games are prettier, movies have a
higher resolution and our connections are a whole lot faster but
otherwise, the experience hasn't much changed.

--
@RabidHussar