Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. -- Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidBill
+* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidVanguardLH
|`* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidAJL
| `* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidPeter Johnson
|  `- Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidAJL
+* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidRabidHussar
|`* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidBill
| `* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidRabidHussar
|  `* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidBill
|   `* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidRabidHussar
|    +* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Androidmaury
|    |`- Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidRabidHussar
|    `* Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidBill
|     `- Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidRabidHussar
`- Re: Windows 11, Televisions and AndroidAndy Burns

1
Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<jQvYI.5910$2e3.2449@fx29.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54739&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54739

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Subject: Windows 11, Televisions and Android
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:46:07 -0400
 by: Bill - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:46 UTC

In looking at new televisions recently, I've come to realize
that basically ALL of those being sold today seem to produce ads. Even
"Google TV" is developed with Android (lots, but not all, of others are
developed with Android too). I read today that even Amazon may develop
a TV directly supporting it's streaming product. After I learned that,
I started wondering, since Windows 11 will support Android, whether
Windows 11 is planning to follow this path of producing ads on its new
operating system. Frightening! :) I have no further information, but
maybe some of you do? Cheers,

Bill

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<1iy0byhl6c30o.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54750&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54750

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:16:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 23:16 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

> In looking at new televisions recently, I've come to realize
> that basically ALL of those being sold today seem to produce ads. Even
> "Google TV" is developed with Android (lots, but not all, of others are
> developed with Android too). I read today that even Amazon may develop
> a TV directly supporting it's streaming product. After I learned that,
> I started wondering, since Windows 11 will support Android, whether
> Windows 11 is planning to follow this path of producing ads on its new
> operating system. Frightening! :) I have no further information, but
> maybe some of you do? Cheers,

Don't have to wait for Windows 11 to run Android apps on Windows 10. If
you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can tether it to your Windows 10
desktop to use Microsoft's Your Phone app. That casts your phone's
screen onto the desktop.

Android emulators that run on Windows have been around for years.
Bluestacks showed up back in 2009, and runs on Windows 7, and later.
You could test now under Windows 10 if those media apps spew ads. The
apps have their own ads. Microsoft has their own ads in Windows (lots
of tools to kill those). However, Bluestacks, or any Android emulator,
won't give as seamless use of Android apps as a subsystem build into
Windows. Subsystems is not new to Windows. Microsoft added the Windows
Subsystem for Linux (WSL) subsytem as a compatibility layer in Windows
10 in 2016, and moved to WSL2 that added a real Linux kernel run under a
subset of Hyper-V features.

As with the majority of Android apps, they are freemium-ware: a free
version is crippled, and you pay to get the uncrippled version which
often means removal or reduction or ads. It's your choice if you keep a
spammy app, because you are desparate for the content it delivers. If
you don't want the ads an app delivers, uninstall that app.

One problem I've found with the UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps
already available for Windows 10 is that they cannot be configured as a
startup program. I found a workaround for one UWP app, but it required
some digging on what to use to define a startup program. Alas, I could
not have it load on startup without it splattering its screen on the
desktop. I wanted it loaded on startup, but in the background.

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-gets-android-subsystem-in-latest-developer-build/
(10 hours old)
"It doesn't do much at the moment, but this is what will enable
developers to play around with Android Apps in Windows."

Android apps on Windows 11: Everything you need to know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6v2zk_wHRU

As noted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaSstf9VJGQ, Microsoft has
been toggling for consumer acceptance of Windows versions.

Windows XP: Great.
Windows Vista: Bad
Windows 7: Great.
Windows 8: Bad.
Windows 10: Good (only great if you consider Windows 7 as dead)
Windows 11: ???

Seems Microsoft decides to experiment every other version, those get
panned by consumers, so we might have to wait until Windows 12. Can
Microsoft break out of that cycle.

In addition, as noted by the above video author, the Android subsystem
ties into the Amazon store for Android apps. That's why you have to
install the Amazon store app. To get the Android apps from Amazon, you
need to create an Amazon account. I already have an amazon.com for
shopping, but I don't that account is the same as whatever Amazon
account is needed to get Android apps from Amazon. I would hope so, but
I can't guarantee one account for everything Amazon. Also, you need a
Microsoft account to see the Android apps available in Microsoft's Store
that come from Amazon. Now all I need is some good marinara sauce to
put on all that spghetti.

Then there are all those Android apps that depend on hardware that won't
be in desktop PCs running Windows 10/11, like GPS, FM, NFC, and cellular
radios, and other hardware, like a magnometer (compassing). Apps that
depend highly on hardware available in smartphones are not going to have
full functionality, or any, when ran on a desktop PC.

Expect to wait a year before your library gets copies of a "Dummies for
Windows 11" book, and another year before you manage to get your turn in
the high-demand queue. Else, enjoy the learn-as-go training.

The change of the desktop GUI in Windows 11 sure smacks of the KDE,
Gnome, and other desktops in Linux. Hmm, I'm still predicting Microsoft
will eventually switch to a Linux kernel, and Windows will become a
subsystem.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<H%AYI.37406$lC6.11743@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54766&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54766

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 22:39:35 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:39 UTC

On 2021-09-03 4:46 p.m., Bill wrote:
> In looking at new televisions recently, I've come to realize
> that basically ALL of those being sold today seem to produce ads. Even
> "Google TV" is developed with Android (lots, but not all, of others are
> developed with Android too).  I read today that even Amazon may develop
> a TV directly supporting it's streaming product.  After I learned that,
> I started wondering, since Windows 11 will support Android, whether
> Windows 11 is planning to follow this path of producing ads on its new
> operating system. Frightening! :)   I have no further information, but
> maybe some of you do?  Cheers,

Once my wife and I were in the market for a new TV in late 2019, I
insisted that we get an Android TV from Sony since our cable service has
an app for Android but not for Roku or others. It takes the place of a
set-top box we would otherwise be forced to use.

Android TV itself, unfortunately, is not as responsive as one would want
it to be but the ability to select streaming sources to substitute for
cable or antenna is neat now that we use an OTA connection hooked up to
a HDHomerun device.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<sgumv5$1ndv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54767&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54767

From: noemail@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:51:18 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:51 UTC

On 9/3/2021 4:16 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> Don't have to wait for Windows 11 to run Android apps on Windows 10.
> If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can tether it to your Windows
> 10 desktop to use Microsoft's Your Phone app. That casts your
> phone's screen onto the desktop.

I tried that. Didn't like that it wouldn't run full screen. Just a tiny
phone image. I also like to run Android radio apps (like iHeart) but the
sound continued to come out of the phone and not the computer speakers.
I gave it up.

> Android emulators that run on Windows have been around for years.
> Bluestacks showed up back in 2009,

I currently use Bluestacks. It's made for gaming but works fine with
regular Android apps. The ads are of course gaming ads but are not
obtrusive. It does run full screen and many apps will also run full
screen and in landscape mode as well, though many won't. It runs Google
stuff fine but I was nervous about putting in my real info so I used my
fake account to access the Play Store. Bluestacks also allows
sideloading from the Windows files app. It does take a lot of memory but
doesn't noticeably slow my 8G laptop. YMMV. Since it takes 10 to 20
seconds to load I just leave it open all the time.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<BPDYI.48971$o45.17020@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54787&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54787

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 01:51:30 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 05:51 UTC

On 9/3/2021 10:39 PM, RabidHussar wrote:

> Android TV itself, unfortunately, is not as responsive as one would want
> it to be

I heard that "Google TV" is faster/more responsive, and so I am leaning
that way. I have been using ROKU, and never had any trouble with
it--with YouTube, it has provided a great value. But Google/YouTube has
been going "over the top" with ads lately. For $12/month they'll cut
them, and I'm strongly considering paying it; though $150/yr seems like
alot to block ads... Maybe they have an annual rate? : )

but the ability to select streaming sources to substitute for
> cable or antenna is neat now that we use an OTA connection hooked up to
> a HDHomerun device.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<ipgogeFucogU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54791&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54791

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 09:19:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 08:19 UTC

Bill wrote:

> I started wondering, since Windows 11 will support Android, whether
> Windows 11 is planning to follow this path of producing ads on its new
> operating system. Frightening!

Some people claim that Win10 shows ads in the O/S, I've never seen any,
just the unwanted games that get "pushed" by the MS store to the home
edition.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<tAKYI.66950$Kv2.28370@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54806&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54806

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 09:33:12 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 13:33 UTC

On 2021-09-04 1:51 a.m., Bill wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 10:39 PM, RabidHussar wrote:
>
>> Android TV itself, unfortunately, is not as responsive as one would
>> want it to be
>
> I heard that "Google TV" is faster/more responsive, and so I am leaning
> that way. I have been using ROKU, and never had any trouble with
> it--with YouTube, it has provided a great value.  But Google/YouTube has
> been going "over the top" with ads lately.  For $12/month they'll cut
> them, and I'm strongly considering paying it; though $150/yr seems like
> alot to block ads... Maybe they have an annual rate?  : )

The only way to acceptably watch Youtube and not pay any fees is with
Brave which cuts out the . On a TV, there is no choice but to pay though.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<k8u6jg1s7r437jk8g5a0ec0iivuc3004t2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54808&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54808

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 14:54:22 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 13:54 UTC

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:51:18 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 9/3/2021 4:16 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Don't have to wait for Windows 11 to run Android apps on Windows 10.
>> If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can tether it to your Windows
>> 10 desktop to use Microsoft's Your Phone app. That casts your
>> phone's screen onto the desktop.
>
>I tried that. Didn't like that it wouldn't run full screen. Just a tiny
>phone image.

You can stretch the phone screen like an ordinary window (mouse over
the corners and you'll see the double arrows; they appear, but don't
work, if you mouse over an edge, too) but it maintains the same
proportions as the phone, so you can have it as high as the monitor
allows but not take advantage of the monitor's width.
Looking at my Galaxy S10 screen 15in high as I type this.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<sh03v2$1fls$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54824&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54824

From: noemail@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 08:39:15 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 15:39 UTC

On 9/4/2021 6:54 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:51:18 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>> On 9/3/2021 4:16 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Don't have to wait for Windows 11 to run Android apps on Windows
>>> 10. If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can tether it to
>>> your Windows 10 desktop to use Microsoft's Your Phone app. That
>>> casts your phone's screen onto the desktop.

>> I tried that. Didn't like that it wouldn't run full screen. Just a
>> tiny phone image.

> You can stretch the phone screen like an ordinary window (mouse over
> the corners and you'll see the double arrows; they appear, but don't
> work, if you mouse over an edge, too)

Didn't work for me. Perhaps it's my laptop/app version/phone
combination. And I screwed with it for quite awhile. Also the sound
still coming out of my phone rather than the laptop while using an
Android radio app was another deal breaker.

> but it maintains the same proportions as the phone, so you can have
> it as high as the monitor allows but not take advantage of the
> monitor's width. Looking at my Galaxy S10 screen 15in high as I type
> this.

Bluestacks allows complete landscape mode for many of the apps I use
(SmartNews for example). So with your verification of that landscape
lack I probably won't try it again. Thanks anyway.

BTW for those reading this, the Your Phone app has other phone remote
control features that you may like so don't let me rain on your parade...

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<VbOYI.24044$nR3.17657@fx38.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54856&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54856

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 13:40:05 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:40 UTC

On 9/4/2021 9:33 AM, RabidHussar wrote:

> The only way to acceptably watch Youtube and not pay any fees is with
> Brave which cuts out the . On a TV, there is no choice but to pay though.

After making my post last night, I decided to perhaps modify my behavior
much as Google changed YouTube (by adding so many ads recently).
This morning I browsed through the videos on YouTube, as usual, but I
didn't watch ANY. I have about 150 music CDs, I don't need YouTube to
listen to music! If Google is going to make using YouTube "annoying",
then I will find other things to do with my time. Like Arlo Guthrie
sings in his "massacree" maybe it's the start of a movement! : )

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<CzVYI.39750$lC6.21171@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54898&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54898

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:03:13 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:03 UTC

On 2021-09-04 1:40 p.m., Bill wrote:
> On 9/4/2021 9:33 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
>
>> The only way to acceptably watch Youtube and not pay any fees is with
>> Brave which cuts out the . On a TV, there is no choice but to pay though.
>>

> After making my post last night, I decided to perhaps modify my behavior
> much as Google changed YouTube (by adding so many ads recently).
> This morning I browsed through the videos on YouTube, as usual, but I
> didn't watch ANY. I have about 150 music CDs, I don't need YouTube to
> listen to music!   If Google is going to make using YouTube "annoying",
> then I will find other things to do with my time. Like Arlo Guthrie
> sings in his "massacree" maybe it's the start of a movement! : )

Might I suggest that you use different video hosting platforms instead
of relying on Youtube. People see it as a monopoly but there is good
content on GabTV, Bitchute and Rumble as well. I don't believe that
there are ads on any of them.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<q2d8jgll9lmhqp18cq470u0uri4qf4i63v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54909

From: maury@freebies.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 22:11:42 -0500
 by: maury@freebies.com - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 03:11 UTC

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:03:13 -0400, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

>On 2021-09-04 1:40 p.m., Bill wrote:
>> On 9/4/2021 9:33 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
>>
>>> The only way to acceptably watch Youtube and not pay any fees is with
>>> Brave which cuts out the . On a TV, there is no choice but to pay though.
>>>

>> After making my post last night, I decided to perhaps modify my behavior
>> much as Google changed YouTube (by adding so many ads recently).
>> This morning I browsed through the videos on YouTube, as usual, but I
>> didn't watch ANY. I have about 150 music CDs, I don't need YouTube to
>> listen to music!   If Google is going to make using YouTube "annoying",
>> then I will find other things to do with my time. Like Arlo Guthrie
>> sings in his "massacree" maybe it's the start of a movement! : )
>
>Might I suggest that you use different video hosting platforms instead
>of relying on Youtube. People see it as a monopoly but there is good
>content on GabTV, Bitchute and Rumble as well. I don't believe that
>there are ads on any of them.

I'm still using Win XP. It doesn't see *any* ads on youtube. I'm
also using old fashioned FFx 52.9.0. It is not the ESR version.

I do have a Win 7 with updated FFX and youtube is unwatchable on it.

XP still has its merits. It's simple as hell.

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<xPXYI.40438$rl3.17206@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54912&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54912

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:36:39 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 04:36 UTC

On 9/4/2021 10:03 PM, RabidHussar wrote:

> Might I suggest that you use different video hosting platforms instead
> of relying on Youtube. People see it as a monopoly but there is good
> content on GabTV, Bitchute and Rumble as well. I don't believe that
> there are ads on any of them.

I looked each of them up to see what I was missing. I agree that it
sounds like supporting platforms besides YouTube is probably a good
idea. I believe in Usenet more than I believe in Facebook!!! : )

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<9q4ZI.71262$Kv2.16185@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54930&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54930

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:24:03 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:24 UTC

On 2021-09-04 11:11 p.m., maury@freebies.com wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:03:13 -0400, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

>>> After making my post last night, I decided to perhaps modify my behavior
>>> much as Google changed YouTube (by adding so many ads recently).
>>> This morning I browsed through the videos on YouTube, as usual, but I
>>> didn't watch ANY. I have about 150 music CDs, I don't need YouTube to
>>> listen to music!   If Google is going to make using YouTube "annoying",
>>> then I will find other things to do with my time. Like Arlo Guthrie
>>> sings in his "massacree" maybe it's the start of a movement! : )
>>
>> Might I suggest that you use different video hosting platforms instead
>> of relying on Youtube. People see it as a monopoly but there is good
>> content on GabTV, Bitchute and Rumble as well. I don't believe that
>> there are ads on any of them.
>
> I'm still using Win XP.

Great performance, to be sure but security must be a nightmare.

> It doesn't see *any* ads on youtube. I'm
> also using old fashioned FFx 52.9.0. It is not the ESR version.
>
> I do have a Win 7 with updated FFX and youtube is unwatchable on it.
>
> XP still has its merits. It's simple as hell.

Agreed. You can also upgrade to any Linux distribution and still have a
fast system but with updated software. Of course, the operating system
is not for everyone and a lot of people would prefer to simply use
2001's XP.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows 11, Televisions and Android

<Zr4ZI.71264$Kv2.53837@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54932&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54932

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:25:59 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:25 UTC

On 2021-09-05 12:36 a.m., Bill wrote:
> On 9/4/2021 10:03 PM, RabidHussar wrote:
>
>> Might I suggest that you use different video hosting platforms instead
>> of relying on Youtube. People see it as a monopoly but there is good
>> content on GabTV, Bitchute and Rumble as well. I don't believe that
>> there are ads on any of them.
>>

> I looked each of them up to see what I was missing. I agree that it
> sounds like supporting platforms besides YouTube is probably a good
> idea. I believe in Usenet more than I believe in Facebook!!!   : )

As you should since Facebook insists that only the narrative coming out
of Big Brother's mouth is truthful and that any variation of his opinion
must be suppressed.

--
@RabidHussar