From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: batch login password
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 06:36:27 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 03:36 UTC

[1]If you go to https://www.freeopenvpn.org/index.php
[2]You can download a free openvpn configuration file
[3]Which asks for a login/password (which they give you)

Doing this as admin puts you on free vpn all day with no limits (AFAIK).
C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn.exe USA_freeopenvpn_udp.ovpn

When you run that command, it only asks for the login/password.

How can we put the login/password into the text config batch file
so that this command works but without asking for the login/password?

Here is a current US openvpn config file (they may change over time).
https://www.freeopenvpn.org/premium.php?cntid=USA&lang=en

This is the UDP version of that text free vpn config file.
https://www.freeopenvpn.org/ovpn/USA_freeopenvpn_udp.ovpn

The username is always the same it seems: Username: freeopenvpn
The password changes daily but is currently: 009054723

What's the batch file syntax to feed it the login & password?

Re: batch login password

<ipj6ubFe5fqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54915&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54915

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: batch login password
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:38:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 06:38 UTC

Scott Lurndal wrote:

> How can we put the login/password into the text config batch file
> so that this command works but without asking for the login/password?

Not used it for quite a while now, but I used to use openvpnGUI (puts an
icon in the taskbar tray) and then create a scheduled task job that
fired either on logon or on startup (can't remember which) that runs the
GUI with full admin rights ...

Re: batch login password

<sh2rpu$h91$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54944&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54944

From: alorsmnws@yopmail.com (Xonic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 18:38:22 +0200
 by: Xonic - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 16:38 UTC

try this solution :

add this line to your openvpn clients config file :
auth-user-pass login.conf

create new file named login.conf and then add your clients username and
password
username
password

--
Alain

Re: batch login password

<sh34hf$hpb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54945

From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 22:07:29 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 19:07 UTC

Xonic writes:
> try this solution :
>
> add this line to your openvpn clients config file :
> auth-user-pass login.conf
>
> create new file named login.conf and then add your clients username and
> password
> username
> password

That worked!

I created a new file called .\freeopenvpn.txt and added these lines:
username freeopenvpn
password 518663582
(The password changes about twice a day but they tell you what it is
on the web site http://freeopenvpn.org in a graphic so you can't easily get
it using wget or curl to get it though, afaik).

Wget can get the graphic, I guess, but you'd still have to look at it
(but if you know how to use wget to download the password on demand, that
would be nice also).

I changed this line in the original \*.ovpn text configuration file:
auth-user-pass
To point to that new text file containing the login & daily password:
auth-user-pass freeopenvpn.txt

And then I created a vpn.bat one-line batch file that calls it for me:
C:\Program Files\openvpn\bin\openvpn.exe USA_freeopenvpn_udp.ovpn

Now I open an admin window and cd to the directory & type "vpn."

Thanks.

BTW, what did NOT work was trying to feed the answers to a script.
"batch the password" in an admin window:
%comspec% -k c:\Program Files\openvpn\bin\openvpn.exe
c:\pathto\USA_freeopenvpn_udp.ovpn
&& echo "freeopenvpn"
&& echo "009054723"
But I couldn't get the batch command syntax to feed the login/passwd.

Also what did NOT work was trying to feed the password in the command line.
C:\Program Files\openvpn\bin\openvpn.exe
--import-profile=c:\pathto\freeopenvpn_USA_freeopenvpn_udp.ovpn
--name=foo
--username=freeopenvpn
--password=518663582
That always resulted in a syntax error (this is one long line above).

But now it's working with your suggestion of adding the login/password to
the configuration file. When the password changes, I just change the one
text file containing the two lines and then I run the one batch file calling
openvpn and referring to the configuration file.

Thanks.

Re: batch login password

<sh35j8$10dt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54946&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54946

From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 22:25:30 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 19:25 UTC

Scott Lurndal writes:
> Wget can get the graphic, I guess, but you'd still have to look at it
> (but if you know how to use wget to download the password on demand, that
> would be nice also).

The graphic with the current freeopenvpn.org password is on this page.
https://www.freeopenvpn.org/premium.php?cntid=USA&lang=en

I tried getting that graphic from the command line with wget but failed.
wget https://www.freeopenvpn.org/img/password.php?33a6CVvv7

SYSTEM_WGETRC = c:/progra~1/wget/etc/wgetrc
--2021-09-05 15:21:14--
https://www.freeopenvpn.org/img/password.php?33a6CVvv7
Resolving www.freeopenvpn.org... 207.174.215.153
Connecting to www.freeopenvpn.org|207.174.215.153|:443... connected.
OpenSSL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert
protocol version
Unable to establish SSL connection.

Is it possible to wget this graphic of the password (which changes twice a
day I think so it needs to be looked at before connecting to VPN)?