The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem. -- Peer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

SubjectAuthor
* Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGmalone
+- Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGnospam
+* Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGYamada Taro
|`* Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGRabidHussar
| `- Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGYamada Taro
+- Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGAndy Burns
`- Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNINGRabidHussar

1
Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<sh19lo$8rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54903&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54903

From: malone@nospam.net.nz (malone)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:22:47 +1200
 by: malone - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:22 UTC

This will be irrelevant for most of you with your fast broadband
connections. But for those who, like me, live rurally with extremely
poor connectivity and are tempted to go to Elon Musk for his Starlink
satellite broadband - BEWARE!!.

The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
means there's no way of port forwarding. So, you may need to reassess
how you provide WAN access to your webcams and local web and mail servers.

For the cost of their service I expected to get at least all the
features offered by other ISPs.

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<040920212241347808%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54904&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54904

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 22:41:34 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:41 UTC

In article <sh19lo$8rm$1@dont-email.me>, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz>
wrote:

> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT

*many* isps do that, including comcast in the usa.

> which
> means there's no way of port forwarding.

not true.

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<pbXYI.163408$2Ht3.36906@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54911&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54911

From: yamada.taro@nospam.net.jp (Yamada Taro)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 12:54:00 +0900
 by: Yamada Taro - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 03:54 UTC

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:22:47 +1200, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote:

> This will be irrelevant for most of you with your fast broadband
> connections. But for those who, like me, live rurally with extremely
> poor connectivity and are tempted to go to Elon Musk for his Starlink
> satellite broadband - BEWARE!!.
>
> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
> means there's no way of port forwarding. So, you may need to reassess
> how you provide WAN access to your webcams and local web and mail servers.
>
> For the cost of their service I expected to get at least all the
> features offered by other ISPs.

You are also posting from the Asia-Pacific region.

Asia-Pacific (APNIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2011. That is a whole
10 (ten) years ago. Meanwhile, Internet usage is still increasing.

Many other ISPs now need to share IPv4 addresses between customers.
That means many other ISPs now need to use CG-NAT with IPv4.

Also FYI
* Europe (RIPE) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2012.
* Latin America (LACNIC)ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2014.
* North America (ARIN) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2015.
* Africa/Indian Ocean (AFRINIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2017.

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<ipj71vFe5fqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54917&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54917

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:39:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 06:39 UTC

malone wrote:

> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
> means there's no way of port forwarding.

create an outbound SSH tunnel to (AWS?) and allow port forwarding from
the other end?

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<ao4ZI.71261$Kv2.26849@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54929&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54929

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:21:56 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:21 UTC

On 2021-09-04 10:22 p.m., malone wrote:

> This will be irrelevant for most of you with your fast broadband
> connections. But for those who, like me, live rurally with extremely
> poor connectivity and are tempted to go to Elon Musk for his Starlink
> satellite broadband - BEWARE!!.
>
> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
> means there's no way of port forwarding. So, you may need to reassess
> how you provide WAN access to your webcams and local web and mail servers.
>
> For the cost of their service I expected to get at least all the
> features offered by other ISPs.

Maybe the router they provide doesn't allow for port forwarding at which
point you would:

a) disable wireless on the OEM's router
b) connect your own router to theirs and have IT provide wireless for
the home
c) connect any wired devices to your own router
d) port forward however you wish

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<1r4ZI.71263$Kv2.47986@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54931&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54931

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:24:59 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:24 UTC

On 2021-09-04 11:54 p.m., Yamada Taro wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:22:47 +1200, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> This will be irrelevant for most of you with your fast broadband
>> connections. But for those who, like me, live rurally with extremely
>> poor connectivity and are tempted to go to Elon Musk for his Starlink
>> satellite broadband - BEWARE!!.
>>
>> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
>> means there's no way of port forwarding. So, you may need to reassess
>> how you provide WAN access to your webcams and local web and mail servers.
>>
>> For the cost of their service I expected to get at least all the
>> features offered by other ISPs.
>

> You are also posting from the Asia-Pacific region.
>
> Asia-Pacific (APNIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2011. That is a whole
> 10 (ten) years ago. Meanwhile, Internet usage is still increasing.
>
> Many other ISPs now need to share IPv4 addresses between customers.
> That means many other ISPs now need to use CG-NAT with IPv4.
>
> Also FYI
> * Europe (RIPE) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2012.
> * Latin America (LACNIC)ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2014.
> * North America (ARIN) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2015.
> * Africa/Indian Ocean (AFRINIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2017.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply switch the infrastructure to use IPv6?

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Off Topic - Starlink - WARNING

<faGZI.10033$j52.864@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55034&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55034

From: yamada.taro@nospam.net.jp (Yamada Taro)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:21:16 +0900
 by: Yamada Taro - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:21 UTC

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:24:59 -0400, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
> On 2021-09-04 11:54 p.m., Yamada Taro wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:22:47 +1200, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> This will be irrelevant for most of you with your fast broadband
>>> connections. But for those who, like me, live rurally with extremely
>>> poor connectivity and are tempted to go to Elon Musk for his Starlink
>>> satellite broadband - BEWARE!!.
>>>
>>> The download / upload speeds are great but they're using CG-NAT which
>>> means there's no way of port forwarding. So, you may need to reassess
>>> how you provide WAN access to your webcams and local web and mail
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> For the cost of their service I expected to get at least all the
>>> features offered by other ISPs.
>>

>> You are also posting from the Asia-Pacific region.
>>
>> Asia-Pacific (APNIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2011. That is a whole
>> 10 (ten) years ago. Meanwhile, Internet usage is still increasing.
>>
>> Many other ISPs now need to share IPv4 addresses between customers.
>> That means many other ISPs now need to use CG-NAT with IPv4.
>>
>> Also FYI
>> * Europe (RIPE) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2012.
>> * Latin America (LACNIC)ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2014.
>> * North America (ARIN) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2015.
>> * Africa/Indian Ocean (AFRINIC) ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2017.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to simply switch the infrastructure to use IPv6?

Some people are able to get IPv6 working with Starlink:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/ofyb0k/usg_and_starlink_ipv6/>

If the OP malone can switch her/his infrastructure to IPv6 and have it
all work, then that is what malone should do.

Dual stack IPv4/IPv6 will still be with us for a number of years yet.
Not all software, hardware, or services support IPv6.