Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / OT Win11 OT

SubjectAuthor
* OT Win11 OTphilo
+* Re: OT Win11 OTBig Al
|+* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
||`* Re: OT Win11 OTPaul
|| +* Re: OT Win11 OTBig Al
|| |`- Re: OT Win11 OTPaul
|| `* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
||  `* Re: OT Win11 OTBig Al
||   `* Re: OT Win11 OTRabidHussar
||    `- Re: OT Win11 OTBig Al
|`* Re: OT Win11 OTRene Lamontagne
| +* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
| |`* Re: OT Win11 OTRabidHussar
| | `* Re: OT Win11 OTJonathan N. Little
| |  +* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
| |  |+- Re: OT Win11 OTRabidHussar
| |  |`- Re: OT Win11 OTJonathan N. Little
| |  `* Re: OT Win11 OTRabidHussar
| |   `- Re: OT Win11 OTJonathan N. Little
| `- Re: OT Win11 OTPeter Johnson
+* Re: OT Win11 OTT
|+* Re: OT Win11 OTBig Al
||`- Re: OT Win11 OTT
|`* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
| `- Re: OT Win11 OTPeter Johnson
+- Re: OT Win11 OTRabidHussar
+* Re: OT Win11 OTAndy Burns
|`- Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
`* Re: OT Win11 OTT
 `* Re: OT Win11 OTphilo
  `* Re: OT Win11 OTT
   `- Re: OT Win11 OTphilo

Pages:12
OT Win11 OT

<sh0ptb$q7j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54883&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54883

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT Win11 OT
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:53:47 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:53 UTC

So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer. Win10 had a
great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and paste are not
on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more
options. This would be a major PITA for those processing many files on
at a time.

Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make it
similar to Win10 does not work.
This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still
work ok.

Here is the weird thing though.
I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File Explorer...the
context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The behavior I like works
fine but only on the Android.

I am very curious why this happens.

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh0tp7$bat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54886&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54886

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT Win11 OT
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:59:50 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:59 UTC

On 9/4/21 5:53 PM, this is what philo wrote:
> So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer.   Win10 had a great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and paste
> are not on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more options. This would be a major PITA for those processing many
> files on at a time.
>
> Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make it similar to Win10 does not work.
> This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still work ok.
>

> Here is the weird thing though.
> I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File Explorer...the context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The behavior I like
> works fine but only on the Android.
>
> I am very curious why this happens.
Actually if you right click a file, cut and paste and delete are all tiny little itsy bitsy icons at the top of the list. scissors for cut,
kind of a page for copy, another for paste, trashcan for delete (hold shift for permanent delete). Hover over them gives their names.
If you cut or copy then go to another folder for paste, just doing right-click gives you a single itsy icon that is paste.

It's fun isn't it.
Yes, I feel the file explorer is one of the worst parts of windows 11. Also they dropped things like auto resize all columns that used to
be in the view tab on the toolbar. I put it in the quick access bar (which is also gone) so I could just quickly resize columns to see name
and sizes correctly/completely.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh0ul8$g36$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54887&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54887

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:14:48 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 23:14 UTC

On 9/4/21 5:59 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 9/4/21 5:53 PM, this is what philo wrote:
>> So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer.   Win10 had
>> a great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and paste are
>> not on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more
>> options. This would be a major PITA for those processing many files on
>> at a time.
>>
>> Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make
>> it similar to Win10 does not work.
>> This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still
>> work ok.
>>

>> Here is the weird thing though.
>> I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File
>> Explorer...the context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The
>> behavior I like works fine but only on the Android.
>>
>> I am very curious why this happens.
> Actually if you right click a file, cut and paste and delete are all
> tiny little itsy bitsy icons at the top of the list.  scissors for cut,
> kind of a page for copy, another for paste, trashcan for delete (hold
> shift for permanent delete).   Hover over them gives their names.
> If you cut or copy then go to another folder for paste, just doing
> right-click gives you a single itsy icon that is paste.
>
> It's fun isn't it.
> Yes, I feel the file explorer is one of the worst parts of windows 11.
> Also they dropped things like auto resize all columns that used to be in
> the view tab on the toolbar.  I put it in the quick access bar (which is
> also gone) so I could just quickly resize columns to see name and sizes
> correctly/completely.

I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.

I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with
files on my Android.

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh0vnh$lmf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54888&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54888

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 19:33:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 23:33 UTC

philo wrote:

> I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.
>
> I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with
> files on my Android.

It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
get the W10 version working for you.

Paul

Re: OT Win11 OT

<ipieh4F9sk8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54889&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54889

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:41:24 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 23:41 UTC

On 2021-09-04 5:59 p.m., Big Al wrote:
> On 9/4/21 5:53 PM, this is what philo wrote:
>> So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer.   Win10 had
>> a great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and paste are
>> not on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more
>> options. This would be a major PITA for those processing many files on
>> at a time.
>>
>> Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make
>> it similar to Win10 does not work.
>> This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still
>> work ok.
>>

>> Here is the weird thing though.
>> I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File
>> Explorer...the context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The
>> behavior I like works fine but only on the Android.
>>
>> I am very curious why this happens.
> Actually if you right click a file, cut and paste and delete are all
> tiny little itsy bitsy icons at the top of the list.  scissors for cut,
> kind of a page for copy, another for paste, trashcan for delete (hold
> shift for permanent delete).   Hover over them gives their names.
> If you cut or copy then go to another folder for paste, just doing
> right-click gives you a single itsy icon that is paste.
>
> It's fun isn't it.
> Yes, I feel the file explorer is one of the worst parts of windows 11.
> Also they dropped things like auto resize all columns that used to be in
> the view tab on the toolbar.  I put it in the quick access bar (which is
> also gone) so I could just quickly resize columns to see name and sizes
> correctly/completely.

I haven't found much to like so far, I hate that split context menu, not
to mention my OKI printer does not work in USB mode and it was a half
day battle to make it work as a network printer.
There are scads of other things I dislike, too numerous to list. it
better improve a hell of lot by deployment time if it wants to be in my
stable

Rene

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh10tn$ran$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54890&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54890

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 19:53:26 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 23:53 UTC

On 9/4/21 7:33 PM, this is what Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.
>>
>> I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with files on my Android.
>
> It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
> get the W10 version working for you.
>
>    Paul
Oh God! That means as more win11 stuff comes around more win10 stuff will get screwed over! LOL

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh12io$1ngs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54891&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54891

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 19:21:44 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:21 UTC

On 9/4/21 6:41 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-09-04 5:59 p.m., Big Al wrote:
>> On 9/4/21 5:53 PM, this is what philo wrote:
>>> So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer.   Win10
>>> had a great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and
>>> paste are not on the context menu unless one take the extra step of
>>> seeing more options. This would be a major PITA for those processing
>>> many files on at a time.
>>>
>>> Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make
>>> it similar to Win10 does not work.
>>> This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still
>>> work ok.
>>>

>>> Here is the weird thing though.
>>> I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File
>>> Explorer...the context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The
>>> behavior I like works fine but only on the Android.
>>>
>>> I am very curious why this happens.
>> Actually if you right click a file, cut and paste and delete are all
>> tiny little itsy bitsy icons at the top of the list.  scissors for
>> cut, kind of a page for copy, another for paste, trashcan for delete
>> (hold shift for permanent delete).   Hover over them gives their names.
>> If you cut or copy then go to another folder for paste, just doing
>> right-click gives you a single itsy icon that is paste.
>>
>> It's fun isn't it.
>> Yes, I feel the file explorer is one of the worst parts of windows 11.
>> Also they dropped things like auto resize all columns that used to be
>> in the view tab on the toolbar.  I put it in the quick access bar
>> (which is also gone) so I could just quickly resize columns to see
>> name and sizes correctly/completely.
>>

> I haven't found much to like so far, I hate that split context menu, not
> to mention my OKI printer does not work in USB mode and it was a half
> day battle to make it work as a network printer.
> There are scads of other things I dislike, too numerous to list. it
> better improve a  hell of lot by deployment time if it wants to be in my
> stable
>
> Rene

My network printer installed with no problems, actually faster than it
did on Win10

Not quite as well as Linux however :)

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh12ji$1ngs$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54892&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54892

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 19:22:10 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:22 UTC

On 9/4/21 6:33 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.
>>
>> I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with
>> files on my Android.
>
> It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
> get the W10 version working for you.
>
>    Paul

I like the Win10 version better

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh12m6$4l6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54893&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54893

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 20:23:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:23 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 9/4/21 7:33 PM, this is what Paul wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.
>>>
>>> I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with
>>> files on my Android.
>>
>> It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
>> get the W10 version working for you.
>>
>> Paul
> Oh God! That means as more win11 stuff comes around more win10 stuff
> will get screwed over! LOL

https://www.quora.com/How-many-levels-of-management-does-Microsoft-have

"As of 2015 Feb, a norm in engineering org is that there are
5-6 people between an IC [Individual Contributor] and the CEO.

Takeaway: in recent years Microsoft has undergone quite an
effort to flatten the whole engineering org. It's
now much more flat than before."

That means their management is gutted in the middle. Lots
of loafers at the top. Not enough essential organization
at the bottom (too thin).

And then you wonder how the OS ends up the way it is,
and it ships on October 5.

Paul

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh15dp$f6d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54895&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54895

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:10:17 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 01:10 UTC

On 9/4/21 8:22 PM, this is what philo wrote:
> On 9/4/21 6:33 PM, Paul wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting used to it. but it's a downgrade.
>>>
>>> I am so puzzled that it works the old way ONLY when I am working with files on my Android.
>>
>> It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
>> get the W10 version working for you.
>>
>>     Paul
>

> I like the Win10 version better
+1 I'm usually for the next gen but I'm kinda off this version.

However when 8.1 came out I hated it!!!!!! But after a few years it was great. (or better)

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh1752$oul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54896&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54896

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:39:44 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 01:39 UTC

On 9/4/21 2:53 PM, philo wrote:
> Just for example, cut and paste are not on the context menu unless one
> take the extra step of seeing more options

Hi Philo,

I am unable to duplicate. I did find if I context-copy
that I could not do it again as only paste showed, but
if I went to another directory and back, it reset

Would you give me steps to reproduce?

-T

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh18c5$sn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54897&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54897

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:00:37 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:00 UTC

On 9/4/21 9:39 PM, this is what T wrote:
> On 9/4/21 2:53 PM, philo wrote:
>> Just for example, cut and paste are not on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more options
>
> Hi Philo,
>
> I am unable to duplicate.  I did find if I context-copy
> that I could not do it again as only paste showed, but
> if I went to another directory and back, it reset
>
> Would you give me steps to reproduce?
>
> -T
What build # are you 22000.xxx?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Win11 OT

<AFVYI.40426$rl3.8970@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54900&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54900

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:09:34 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:09 UTC

On 2021-09-04 5:53 p.m., philo wrote:
> So far Win11 has been ok except for the new File Explorer.   Win10 had a
> great one but Win11 is bad news. Just for example, cut and paste are not
> on the context menu unless one take the extra step of seeing more
> options. This would be a major PITA for those processing many files on
> at a time.
>
> Ever single tutorial out there as how to modify the behavior to make it
> similar to Win10 does not work.
> This is a horribly inefficient move although keyboard shortcuts still
> work ok.
>

> Here is the weird thing though.
> I was copying data off my Android and using Windows File Explorer...the
> context menu is the old Win10 context menu. The behavior I like works
> fine but only on the Android.
>
> I am very curious why this happens.

I'm not a fan of the file explorer either. Just deleting the files seems
counter-intuitive since I used to right-click delete and now I have to
go to the trash icon instead. Additionally, the context menu takes a
little longer to appear though that might be the result of McAfee being
installed on the machine (some anti-viruses tend to slow such little
things down.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: OT Win11 OT

<OKVYI.40428$rl3.15705@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54901&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54901

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:15:08 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:15 UTC

On 2021-09-04 8:21 p.m., philo wrote:
> On 9/4/21 6:41 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Actually if you right click a file, cut and paste and delete are all
>>> tiny little itsy bitsy icons at the top of the list.  scissors for
>>> cut, kind of a page for copy, another for paste, trashcan for delete
>>> (hold shift for permanent delete).   Hover over them gives their names.
>>> If you cut or copy then go to another folder for paste, just doing
>>> right-click gives you a single itsy icon that is paste.
>>>
>>> It's fun isn't it.
>>> Yes, I feel the file explorer is one of the worst parts of windows
>>> 11. Also they dropped things like auto resize all columns that used
>>> to be in the view tab on the toolbar.  I put it in the quick access
>>> bar (which is also gone) so I could just quickly resize columns to
>>> see name and sizes correctly/completely.
>>>

>> I haven't found much to like so far, I hate that split context menu,
>> not to mention my OKI printer does not work in USB mode and it was a
>> half day battle to make it work as a network printer.
>> There are scads of other things I dislike, too numerous to list. it
>> better improve a  hell of lot by deployment time if it wants to be in
>> my stable
>>
>> Rene
>>

> My network printer installed with no problems, actually faster than it
> did on Win10
>
> Not quite as well as Linux however :)

CUPS rocks if your printer is supported. :)

Although, all-in-one printers tend to be hit or miss in that respect. My
own HP Laserjet m130nw is immediately supported for printing in every
Linux distribution but not the scanner. Additionally, some of the better
features like toner supply aren't available unless you install the
proprietary driver. For that, you're a whole lot better off in Windows
since the process is cumbersome.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: OT Win11 OT

<RNVYI.40429$rl3.12223@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54902&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54902

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:18:24 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:18 UTC

On 2021-09-04 9:10 p.m., Big Al wrote:
> On 9/4/21 8:22 PM, this is what philo wrote:

>>> It's part W11 and part W10. If a part isn't finished, you
>>> get the W10 version working for you.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>

>> I like the Win10 version better
> +1  I'm usually for the next gen but I'm kinda off this version.
>
> However when 8.1 came out I hated it!!!!!!   But after a few years it
> was great. (or better)

I guess I must be in the minority because I rather liked Windows 8.1. 8
was a bit annoying, especially since there was no Start button and a
user wouldn't immediately know that bringing the cursor to the
bottom-left has the same effect but 8.1 was a good albeit necessary
improvement. The performance was on par with 7 and it wasn't
counter-intuitive or unappealing. It was, however, half-assed in some
respects since it retained the Control Panel while introducing the
settings system Windows 10 would go on to use by default.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh1ipk$g8l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54913&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54913

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:58:28 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 04:58 UTC

On 9/4/21 7:00 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 9/4/21 9:39 PM, this is what T wrote:
>> On 9/4/21 2:53 PM, philo wrote:
>>> Just for example, cut and paste are not on the context menu unless
>>> one take the extra step of seeing more options
>>
>> Hi Philo,
>>
>> I am unable to duplicate.  I did find if I context-copy
>> that I could not do it again as only paste showed, but
>> if I went to another directory and back, it reset
>>
>> Would you give me steps to reproduce?
>>
>> -T
> What build # are you 22000.xxx?

22000.176_amd64_en-us_professional_10776829_convert.zip

Re: OT Win11 OT

<c3cae48e11991d75d10949282a6221e6@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54914&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54914

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 05:13:39 +0000
 by: philo - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 05:13 UTC

There are no steps.
Copy and paste are not on the context menu unless one scrolls down and choses to see more options.

I have been using Win11 almost since day one and it's like that for every build.
I am on a Win11 FB group and no one has had the Win10 context menu.

The ONLY time I get it is when reading files on my Android.

Re: OT Win11 OT

<ipj78bFe5fqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54916

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:43:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 06:43 UTC

philo wrote:

> cut and paste are not on the context menu

But does ctrl-X/ctrl-C/ctrl-V work?

Re: OT Win11 OT

<90fa1ff717027b4f5958717586654b8e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54918&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54918

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:07:27 +0000
 by: philo - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:07 UTC

They have not messed with KB shortcuts and that is what I generally use.

That said: most of the people who I support use the context menu and they are not going to easily learn anything new.

That is why I am jumping into Win11 now...so I will be ready when the questions start.

Re: OT Win11 OT

<sh2dk7$kul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54924&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54924

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 08:36:21 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 12:36 UTC

RabidHussar wrote:

> Although, all-in-one printers tend to be hit or miss in that respect. My
> own HP Laserjet m130nw is immediately supported for printing in every
> Linux distribution but not the scanner. Additionally, some of the better
> features like toner supply aren't available unless you install the
> proprietary driver. For that, you're a whole lot better off in Windows
> since the process is cumbersome.

Install the HP Toolbox

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

Most often you have to install the plugin for the scanner which you will
be prompted to do at the end of the install. Plug in also make lousy
cheap Win-printers to work in Linux too.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: OT Win11 OT

<c441b914153b0872e8b63f07d20871f2@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54925&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54925

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 13:46:08 +0000
 by: philo - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 13:46 UTC

I am pretty much stuck with Windows in order to use my scanner and my professional quality photo scanner.

The best scanner software for Linux is View Scan which (ironically for Linux) is not free.

Not only do I scan slides 35mm & medium format... I OCR text...and bundled with my scanner is great OCR software.

I tend to use Linux mainly for going on-line. In particular...banking.

Re: OT Win11 OT

<CH4ZI.71266$Kv2.46566@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54934&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54934

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:42:40 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:42 UTC

On 2021-09-05 8:36 a.m., Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> RabidHussar wrote:
>>
>> Although, all-in-one printers tend to be hit or miss in that respect. My
>> own HP Laserjet m130nw is immediately supported for printing in every
>> Linux distribution but not the scanner. Additionally, some of the better
>> features like toner supply aren't available unless you install the
>> proprietary driver. For that, you're a whole lot better off in Windows
>> since the process is cumbersome.
>
> Install the HP Toolbox
>
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
>
> Most often you have to install the plugin for the scanner which you will
> be prompted to do at the end of the install. Plug in also make lousy
> cheap Win-printers to work in Linux too.

Oh, I know how to install it. However, the process is cumbersome even
when you follow the steps they give you because they often don't take
administrative rights into consideration. A person who understands how
they work like myself will figure the issue out but people who don't
even know what "administrative rights" means would be better off simply
using it in Windows.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: OT Win11 OT

<KK4ZI.43272$jl2.6631@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54935&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54935

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 10:46:00 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:46 UTC

On 2021-09-05 9:46 a.m., philo wrote:
> I am pretty much stuck with Windows in order to use my scanner and my
> professional quality photo scanner.
>
> The best scanner software for Linux is View Scan which (ironically for
> Linux) is not free.
>
> Not only do I scan slides 35mm & medium format... I OCR text...and
> bundled with my scanner is great OCR software.
>
> I tend to use Linux mainly for going on-line. In particular...banking.

Linux is generally a better option if you're not willing to pay for a
decent anti-virus and are worried that your identity will be stolen. A
lot of Windows users and anti-virus reviewers give people the impression
that Windows Defender is enough - and it might be depending on where you
go on the Internet - but people are better off with something like
McAfee or Norton. For me, unless Windows Defender is also configured to
protect the personal files by only allowing select executable files to
affect them, it's worthless.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: OT Win11 OT

<dfm9jghkleqv879e92cg3gvsm6d296j828@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54937&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54937

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 15:56:18 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:56 UTC

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 05:13:39 +0000, philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
wrote:

>There are no steps.
>Copy and paste are not on the context menu unless one scrolls down and choses to see more options.

But there are icons that perform those functions aligned at the top of
the context menu. (I agree that they are not immediately intuitive; I
complained about having to use the more options step to rename files
before it was pointed out that there was an icon for it.)

Re: OT Win11 OT

<tlm9jgphk3japnge8o5ls4po52hbe5m5ms@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54939&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54939

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 15:58:33 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:58 UTC

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:41:24 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I haven't found much to like so far, I hate that split context menu, not
>to mention my OKI printer does not work in USB mode and it was a half
>day battle to make it work as a network printer.

My USB printer didn't work initially. Then I reinstalled it and it's
been ok ever since, through several updates.