RIP is irrelevant. Spoofing is futile. Your routes will be aggregated. -- Alex Yuriev

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

SubjectAuthor
* My Windows 11 broke last night.Rene Lamontagne
+- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.RabidHussar
+* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Ken Blake
|+- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.philo
|+* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Rene Lamontagne
||`* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Ken Blake
|| `- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Rene Lamontagne
|`- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.T
+* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Paul
|`* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Paul
| `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Rene Lamontagne
|  `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Big Al
|   `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Rene Lamontagne
|    `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Big Al
|     `- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.Big Al
+* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisphilo
|`* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisBig Al
| `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisphilo
|  `* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisMayayana
|   +* Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisPaul
|   |`- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisphilo
|   `- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found thisphilo
`- Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.John Doe

1
My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipet1hFjlvvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54606&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54606

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: My Windows 11 broke last night.
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:24:32 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:24 UTC

I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
blank grey bar.

The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
coud get to the login with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
worked.

Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow. The white blank
background shows then takes about a minute to populate.

Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.

After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
your computer, working on updates"

So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
installation.
Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
repair install with an ISO? Or will I have to do a nuke and pave.
Thanks for any pointers

Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<VvrYI.26062$GD7.20851@fx23.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54628&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54628

Subject: Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:51:18 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:51 UTC

On 2021-09-03 11:24 a.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
> blank grey bar.
>
> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
> coud get to the login  with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
> worked.
>
> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white blank
> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>
> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.
>
> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
> your computer, working on updates"
>
> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
> installation.
> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
> repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
> Thanks for any pointers

Generally, whether you boot from the ISO or whether you use the system
settings, you have the option of fixing everything. Much like going into
the Windows Update in Windows 10 gives you options for Recovery, Windows
11 offers you the same in the operating system proper. I'd do it within
the system if you can get there but it should give you that option from
the ISO as well.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipev9uFk1iqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54644&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54644

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 09:03:10 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:03 UTC

On 9/3/2021 8:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
> blank grey bar.
>
> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
> coud get to the login with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
> worked.
>
> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow. The white blank
> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>
> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.
>
> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
> your computer, working on updates"
>
> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
> installation.
> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
> repair install with an ISO? Or will I have to do a nuke and pave.
> Thanks for any pointers

The possibility of problems like that is the reason I always avoid
running pre-release test versions of software (especially operating
systems) and recommend to others that they also don't do it.

Of course, if you're running it on a spare computer, not your main
"production" one, it's just a nuisance, not a big deal.

--
Ken

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<8732b4b044da7f4156f64e5789373d8f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54669&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54669

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:20:41 +0000
 by: philo - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:20 UTC

Yep.
Exactly the same thing happened for me.
Zero possibility of repair.

I think I figured out the cause and the fix.

First off. I am on non-approved hardware.
It was in the non-lockout category but in the "use at your own risk" area.
I was also in the dev channel.

Not a good situation but I did that on purpose just to test the results. Now I know.

The solution was to download the most recent iso and do a clean install but opt for the release channel rather than dev or beta.

Now it is working well. Thanks to having an SSD the installation took maybe 15 minutes.
No big deal.

Btw: Rufus worked so well for creating a bootable USB stick I wanted to send the developer a few bucks. His website said he did not want it and to conttibute elsewhere.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgtjne$2ug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54677&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54677

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 12:49:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:49 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
> blank grey bar.
>
> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
> coud get to the login with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
> worked.
>
> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow. The white blank
> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>
> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.
>
> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
> your computer, working on updates"
>
> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
> installation.
> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
> repair install with an ISO? Or will I have to do a nuke and pave.
> Thanks for any pointers
>
> Rene

Maybe that's the "Dev channel" ? There are instructions
here for checking, but they didn't work for me.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/flighting

Well, this isn't helping me decide where I am. I know that
one of these choices, got you well ahead of the usual
release numbers.

https://mspx.kapilarya.com/Windows-Insider-Channel.png

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-switch-windows-insider-channel-in-windows-11

[Their Registry structure doesn't match my W11 one.]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

BranchName REG_SZ Dev

The last download I did was the Beta channel, and that
seemed to be a non-Insider. It installed in a VM without
activating. It did not ask for an MSA in an insistent way,
just the usual obfuscation in the OOBE dialogs.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

https://i.postimg.cc/nLdQ8kJr/download-ff-insider2.gif

Perhaps it's the Dev one I should have downloaded ?

And Windows 11 wants to be rebooted again. Should
I reboot it again I wonder ? I'm .168 right now.

But I have to wait 32 minutes for my "dev" download to finish.

Paul

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sgtk2h$44g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54680&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54680

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:55:45 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:55 UTC

On 9/3/2021 10:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
> blank grey bar.
>
> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
> coud get to the login  with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
> worked.
>
> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white blank
> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>
> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.
>
> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
> your computer, working on updates"
>
> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
> installation.
> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
> repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
> Thanks for any pointers
>
> Rene

Found this infor:

Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began
reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and
other areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue with
a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled that
deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the
following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.
Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand
Task Manager.
Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f &&
shutdown -r -t 0
Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting,
everything should be back to normal.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipf33eFkqdgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54685&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54685

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:07:57 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:07 UTC

On 2021-09-03 11:03 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 8:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
>> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
>> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
>> blank grey bar.
>>
>> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
>> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
>> coud get to the login  with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
>> worked.
>>
>> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
>> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white blank
>> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>>
>> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
>> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet
>> use 0.
>>
>> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
>> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
>> your computer, working on updates"
>>
>> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
>> installation.
>> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
>> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
>> repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
>> Thanks for any pointers
>

> The possibility of problems like that is the reason I always avoid
> running pre-release test versions of software (especially operating
> systems) and recommend to others that they also don't do it.
>
> Of course, if you're running it on a spare computer, not your main
> "production" one, it's just a nuisance, not a big deal.

Yep, it is a side line running on a separate NVMe, no connection to my
main Windows 10 system.

Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipf41bFl01lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54688&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54688

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:23:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:23 UTC

On 9/3/2021 10:07 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-09-03 11:03 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 9/3/2021 8:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
>>> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
>>> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
>>> blank grey bar.
>>>
>>> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
>>> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
>>> coud get to the login  with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
>>> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white blank
>>> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>>>
>>> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
>>> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet
>>> use 0.
>>>
>>> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
>>> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
>>> your computer, working on updates"
>>>
>>> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
>>> installation.
>>> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
>>> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
>>> repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
>>> Thanks for any pointers
>>

>> The possibility of problems like that is the reason I always avoid
>> running pre-release test versions of software (especially operating
>> systems) and recommend to others that they also don't do it.
>>
>> Of course, if you're running it on a spare computer, not your main
>> "production" one, it's just a nuisance, not a big deal.
>>

> Yep, it is a side line running on a separate NVMe, no connection to my
> main Windows 10 system.

Glad to hear that.

--
Ken

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgtmnt$prm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54696&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54696

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 13:41:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:41 UTC

Paul wrote:

> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/nLdQ8kJr/download-ff-insider2.gif
>
> Perhaps it's the Dev one I should have downloaded ?
>
> And Windows 11 wants to be rebooted again. Should
> I reboot it again I wonder ? I'm .168 right now.
>
> But I have to wait 32 minutes for my "dev" download to finish.
>
> Paul

It turns out the Dev and Beta have the same SHA1.

---------------------------
Checksum information
---------------------------
Name: Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_22000.iso
Size: 5487515648 bytes (5233 MB)

SHA1: 6EE25E52E740604881B2D11F003274F374488AE5

You could try right-clicking the 5.2GB ISO and
selecting "Mount" (assuming it's still there of
course), then running Setup.exe off the ISO.
As a Repair install.

The other thing that's weird, is I'm not sure that
OS is on the Insider channel any more ??? I don't
know what to think now.

Paul

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipfa22Fm4idU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54718&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54718

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:06:41 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:06 UTC

On 2021-09-03 12:41 p.m., Paul wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso
>>

>>    https://i.postimg.cc/nLdQ8kJr/download-ff-insider2.gif
>>
>> Perhaps it's the Dev one I should have downloaded ?
>>
>> And Windows 11 wants to be rebooted again. Should
>> I reboot it again I wonder ? I'm .168 right now.
>>
>> But I have to wait 32 minutes for my "dev" download to finish.
>>
>>    Paul
>
> It turns out the Dev and Beta have the same SHA1.
>
> ---------------------------
> Checksum information
> ---------------------------
> Name: Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_22000.iso
> Size: 5487515648 bytes (5233 MB)
>
> SHA1: 6EE25E52E740604881B2D11F003274F374488AE5
>
> You could try right-clicking the 5.2GB ISO and
> selecting "Mount" (assuming it's still there of
> course), then running Setup.exe off the ISO.
> As a Repair install.
>
> The other thing that's weird, is I'm not sure that
> OS is on the Insider channel any more ??? I don't
> know what to think now.
>
>    Paul

OK, I didn't have the ISO as mine was an upgrade from Windows 10, So I
D/Ld it from uupdump ( slow process) and put the completed ISO on my Win
11 drive, then went into Win 11 root and right clicked to mount then
chose install, chose Keep everything and did an install, each mouse
click and step took 2 or 3 minutes, I needed lots of patience to get it
going.
Once started the process went normally as expected and it put me in
version 2000.176 with all my settings and prefs intact. all i lost was 1
Mahjong game.

In the future I will make sure to keep a current ISO on that Win 11
drive. BTW I am on the beta channel.

Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgtv37$k8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54723&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54723

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:03:51 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:03 UTC

On 9/3/21 9:03 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> The possibility of problems like that is the reason I always avoid
> running pre-release test versions of software (especially operating
> systems) and recommend to others that they also don't do it.

I ADORE virtual machines for such.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sgu0pe$14s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54738&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54738

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:32:44 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:32 UTC

On 9/3/21 12:55 PM, this is what philo wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 10:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it
>> came up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a blank grey bar.
>>
>> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function, But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape,
>> also coud get to the login  with Windows key+L, none of the other functions worked.
>>
>> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white blank
>> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>>
>> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help, Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2%
>> Ethernet use 0.
>>
>> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut
>> off your computer, working on updates"
>>
>> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the installation.
>> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to
>> do a repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
>> Thanks for any pointers
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Found this infor:
>
> Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and other
> areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled that
> deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.
> Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
> Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
> Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
> Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
> Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
> Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.

Great idea but the machine is still letting me stay in the insider program. Sill giving that red warning that the hardware is bogus.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgu1ke$543$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54740&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54740

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:47:10 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:47 UTC

On 9/3/21 3:06 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-09-03 12:41 p.m., Paul wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso
>>>
>>>    https://i.postimg.cc/nLdQ8kJr/download-ff-insider2.gif
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's the Dev one I should have downloaded ?
>>>
>>> And Windows 11 wants to be rebooted again. Should
>>> I reboot it again I wonder ? I'm .168 right now.
>>>
>>> But I have to wait 32 minutes for my "dev" download to finish.
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> It turns out the Dev and Beta have the same SHA1.
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> Checksum information
>> ---------------------------
>> Name: Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_22000.iso
>> Size: 5487515648 bytes (5233 MB)
>>
>> SHA1: 6EE25E52E740604881B2D11F003274F374488AE5
>>
>> You could try right-clicking the 5.2GB ISO and
>> selecting "Mount" (assuming it's still there of
>> course), then running Setup.exe off the ISO.
>> As a Repair install.
>>
>> The other thing that's weird, is I'm not sure that
>> OS is on the Insider channel any more ??? I don't
>> know what to think now.
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> OK, I didn't have the ISO as mine was an upgrade from Windows 10, So I D/Ld it from uupdump ( slow process) and put the completed ISO on my
> Win 11 drive, then went into Win 11 root and right clicked to mount then chose install, chose Keep everything and did an install, each mouse
> click and step took 2 or 3 minutes, I needed lots of patience to get it going.
> Once started the process went normally as expected and it put me in version 2000.176 with all my settings and prefs intact. all i lost was 1
> Mahjong game.
>
> In the future I will make sure to keep a current ISO on that Win 11 drive. BTW I am on the beta channel.
>
> Rene

You have the link for that uupdump download?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipfg1mFn87cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54741&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54741

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:48:53 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:48 UTC

On 2021-09-03 12:23 p.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 10:07 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> The possibility of problems like that is the reason I always avoid
>>> running pre-release test versions of software (especially operating
>>> systems) and recommend to others that they also don't do it.
>>>
>>> Of course, if you're running it on a spare computer, not your main
>>> "production" one, it's just a nuisance, not a big deal.
>>>

>> Yep, it is a side line running on a separate NVMe, no connection to my
>> main Windows 10 system.
>

> Glad to hear that.

OK Ken, hee is what I have for you after getting my Windows 11 back on
it's feet

My Canoscan Lide200 worked just fine using the drivers on the original CD.

My Okidata c5150n would not work on USB using the original CD drivers or
the newest drivers available, But it works fine hooked up as a network
printer which it is, I just patch it to the router via Cat 5 cable

Your equipment will vary naturally but there seems to be hope.

Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<ipfgf0FnahjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54742

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:55:59 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:55 UTC

On 2021-09-03 3:47 p.m., Big Al wrote:
> On 9/3/21 3:06 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> It turns out the Dev and Beta have the same SHA1.
>>>
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Checksum information
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Name: Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_22000.iso
>>> Size: 5487515648 bytes (5233 MB)
>>>
>>> SHA1: 6EE25E52E740604881B2D11F003274F374488AE5
>>>
>>> You could try right-clicking the 5.2GB ISO and
>>> selecting "Mount" (assuming it's still there of
>>> course), then running Setup.exe off the ISO.
>>> As a Repair install.
>>>
>>> The other thing that's weird, is I'm not sure that
>>> OS is on the Insider channel any more ??? I don't
>>> know what to think now.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>>

>> OK, I didn't have the ISO as mine was an upgrade from Windows 10, So I
>> D/Ld it from uupdump ( slow process) and put the completed ISO on my
>> Win 11 drive, then went into Win 11 root and right clicked to mount
>> then chose install, chose Keep everything and did an install, each
>> mouse click and step took 2 or 3 minutes, I needed lots of patience to
>> get it going.
>> Once started the process went normally as expected and it put me in
>> version 2000.176 with all my settings and prefs intact. all i lost was
>> 1 Mahjong game.
>>
>> In the future I will make sure to keep a current ISO on that Win 11
>> drive. BTW I am on the beta channel.
>>
>> Rene
>>

> You have the link for that uupdump download?

Yep, here you are.

https://uupdump.net/

It was a long and slow process.

Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgu9ah$o2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54749

From: always.look@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 22:58:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 22:58 UTC

Troll...

--
Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> From: Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Subject: My Windows 11 broke last night.
> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:24:32 -0500
>
> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and printers
> results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then when it came
> up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely bare! just a
> blank grey bar.
>
> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu function,
> But I could bring up task manager with Windows key+shift+escape, also
> coud get to the login with Windows key+L, none of the other functions
> worked.
>
> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes about
> 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow. The white blank
> background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>
> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to help,
> Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2% Ethernet use 0.
>
> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut off
> your computer, working on updates"
>
> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
> installation.
> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much in
> the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to do a
> repair install with an ISO? Or will I have to do a nuke and pave.
> Thanks for any pointers
>
> Rene

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgudkh$ejt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54755&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54755

From: Big_Al@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:12:01 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 00:12 UTC

On 9/3/2021 4:55 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-09-03 3:47 p.m., Big Al wrote:

>>> OK, I didn't have the ISO as mine was an upgrade from Windows 10, So I D/Ld it from uupdump ( slow process) and put the completed ISO on
>>> my Win 11 drive, then went into Win 11 root and right clicked to mount then chose install, chose Keep everything and did an install, each
>>> mouse click and step took 2 or 3 minutes, I needed lots of patience to get it going.
>>> Once started the process went normally as expected and it put me in version 2000.176 with all my settings and prefs intact. all i lost
>>> was 1 Mahjong game.
>>>
>>> In the future I will make sure to keep a current ISO on that Win 11 drive. BTW I am on the beta channel.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> You have the link for that uupdump download?
>>

> Yep, here you are.
>
> https://uupdump.net/
>
> It was a long and slow process.
>
> Rene

Thanks. Did the same.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sgul4r$ocj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54763&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54763

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:20:11 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:20 UTC

On 9/3/2021 3:32 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 9/3/21 12:55 PM, this is what philo wrote:
>> On 9/3/2021 10:24 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>> I was going to run Win 11 last night to test some scanner and
>>> printers results for Ken Blake, But Bootup was rather slow and then
>>> when it came up the desktop looked OK, But the taskbar was completely
>>> bare! just a blank grey bar.
>>>
>>> The Windows key was inactive, no way to get the start or menu
>>> function, But I could bring up task manager with Windows
>>> key+shift+escape, also coud get to the login  with Windows key+L,
>>> none of the other functions worked.
>>>
>>> Whatever else I try like file explorer or opening a drive it takes
>>> about 60 to 80 seconds, everything is extremely slow.  The white
>>> blank background shows then takes about a minute to populate.
>>>
>>> Tried disconnecting the Ethernet but no change, nothing seemed to
>>> help, Everything in task manager seemed OK, CPU usage at 1 or 2%
>>> Ethernet use 0.
>>>
>>> After trying everything I could think of I decided to shutdown which
>>> happened intermediately, But a message appeared saying "do not shut
>>> off your computer, working on updates"
>>>
>>> So it would appear that some sort up update attempt Fubared the
>>> installation.
>>> Now, how to repair it without a clean install seeing I can't do much
>>> in the system itself seeing I can't run anything. Is there any way to
>>> do a repair install with an ISO?  Or will I have to do a  nuke and pave.
>>> Thanks for any pointers
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> Found this infor:
>>
>> Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began
>> reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and
>> other areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue
>> with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled
>> that deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the
>> following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.
>> Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
>> Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand
>> Task Manager.
>> Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
>> Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
>> Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete
>> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f &&
>> shutdown -r -t 0
>> Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting,
>> everything should be back to normal.
>>
> Great idea but the machine is still letting me stay in the insider
> program.  Sill giving that red warning that the hardware is bogus.

Yes. all that does is fix the bug that prevents Windows from fully loading.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sgvp08$mvj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54801&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54801

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 08:30:56 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 12:30 UTC

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote

| >> Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began
| >> reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and
| >> other areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue
| >> with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled
| >> that deployment.

According to this article, that "issue" was an attempt to
show ads.

https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/

So you're working as an unpaid beta tester for the world's
most ubiquitous adware. What's wrong with this picture? Do
people really feel special just because Microsoft lets them call
themselves "insiders"? Inside a tiger, maybe.

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sgvu6q$ohh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54810&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54810

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 10:00:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 14:00 UTC

Mayayana wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote

> According to this article, that "issue" was an attempt to
> show ads.
>
> https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/
>
> So you're working as an unpaid beta tester for the world's
> most ubiquitous adware. What's wrong with this picture? Do
> people really feel special just because Microsoft lets them call
> themselves "insiders"? Inside a tiger, maybe.

For me, there is no difference between the
Release Windows 10 and the Insider Windows 10.

They're just two streams, like Firefox Release stream
and Firefox Beta stream.

Because Windows 10 was a rolling release, it had no
convergence criterion. No frozen feature set and
"we will just fix bugs until this pig is polished".
There is no such promise in Windows 10. It's
a rolling bug festival. As a consequence, I cannot
see any practical difference, between a crash and
burn on the Release stream (due to a Windows Update),
versus a crash and burn on the Insider (where the
Upgrade Installer failed in a spectacular way). They're
just supplies of bugs to put up with.

To the developers, having customers receiving this software
is "someone elses problem". [FrameServe, I'm lookin at chu.
That's the software that broke my web cam that works perfectly
fine in Windows 7. FrameServe was introduced in the middle
of Windows 10. Now, try and figure out why we needed that.
I've never seen an article with a technical justification
stated. But I do note that Microsoft introduced a new
web cam today (compete with C920). Will I be buying it ?
FUCK NO :-) I'm just a wee bit sensitive to conflicts
of interest.]

Paul

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night.

<sgvvmn$2em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54812&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54812

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 10:26:29 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 14:26 UTC

On 9/3/21 8:12 PM, this is what Big Al wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 4:55 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> You have the link for that uupdump download?
>>>

>> Yep, here you are.
>>
>> https://uupdump.net/
>>
>> It was a long and slow process.
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Thanks.  Did the same.
It won't upgrade since I don't have the needed hardware. setup.exe runs, just after a few it does a diagnostic and says it won't load.

I found on an older backup drive a copy of my VirtualBox image and restored it. It brought me back to windows 10 insider before I had even
upgraded to window 11. Which is really great since I was beginning to kinda dislike windows 11. So now I'm back on Windows 10 insider
preview channel and not dev channel getting update every 6 days or so.

Fixed a few things.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sh0ped$j7i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54881&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54881

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:45:49 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:45 UTC

On 9/4/21 7:30 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote

> According to this article, that "issue" was an attempt to
> show ads.
>
> https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/
>
> So you're working as an unpaid beta tester for the world's
> most ubiquitous adware. What's wrong with this picture? Do
> people really feel special just because Microsoft lets them call
> themselves "insiders"? Inside a tiger, maybe.

I still do computer repair work so I need to keep up on this stuff. Have
a Win7 machine on my bench right now. After I back up the data, I'll be
giving my friend a Win10 machine

Re: My Windows 11 broke last night. Found this

<sh0pg5$j7i$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54882&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54882

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:46:45 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:46 UTC

On 9/4/21 9:00 AM, Paul wrote:
> Mayayana wrote:
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote

>> issue
>>
>>    According to this article, that "issue" was an attempt to
>> show ads.
>>
>> https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/
>>

>>   So you're working as an unpaid beta tester for the world's
>> most ubiquitous adware. What's wrong with this picture? Do
>> people really feel special just because Microsoft lets them call
>> themselves "insiders"? Inside a tiger, maybe.
>
> For me, there is no difference between the
> Release Windows 10 and the Insider Windows 10.
>
> They're just two streams, like Firefox Release stream
> and Firefox Beta stream.
>
> Because Windows 10 was a rolling release, it had no
> convergence criterion. No frozen feature set and
> "we will just fix bugs until this pig is polished".
> There is no such promise in Windows 10. It's
> a rolling bug festival. As a consequence, I cannot
> see any practical difference, between a crash and
> burn on the Release stream (due to a Windows Update),
> versus a crash and burn on the Insider (where the
> Upgrade Installer failed in a spectacular way). They're
> just supplies of bugs to put up with.
>
> To the developers, having customers receiving this software
> is "someone elses problem". [FrameServe, I'm lookin at chu.
> That's the software that broke my web cam that works perfectly
> fine in Windows 7. FrameServe was introduced in the middle
> of Windows 10. Now, try and figure out why we needed that.
> I've never seen an article with a technical justification
> stated. But I do note that Microsoft introduced a new
> web cam today (compete with C920). Will I be buying it ?
> FUCK NO :-) I'm just a wee bit sensitive to conflicts
> of interest.]
>
>    Paul

So far, except for the file manager Win11 is OK.

but I HATE the new file manager, it's inefficient