From: keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Minor problem
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:53:23 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:53 UTC

A some point in the last couple of weeks I have lost the function of
drawing on the desktop. In the past while waiting for something to
open, using the mouse I could make little boxes on the desktop using the
mouse pointer. This is no longer available.

While it is not a crisis, I am wondering if it was remove by MS, or I
have changed a setting that makes it available.

While it does not affect the cut and past function in the image or word
processor, I would like to know if it has an effect in some other part
of the system OS.

Re: Minor problem

<1lbp8icyincko$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54206&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54206

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Minor problem
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:36:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:36 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A some point in the last couple of weeks I have lost the function of
> drawing on the desktop. In the past while waiting for something to
> open, using the mouse I could make little boxes on the desktop using the
> mouse pointer. This is no longer available.
>
> While it is not a crisis, I am wondering if it was remove by MS, or I
> have changed a setting that makes it available.
>
> While it does not affect the cut and past function in the image or word
> processor, I would like to know if it has an effect in some other part
> of the system OS.

Are you asking about the translucent drag-select outline boxes when you
press and hold the mouse to select multiple objects?

Run sysdm.cpl
Go to Advanced tab panel
Click on Performance settings button
Check the "Show translucent selection rectangle" option.

If you're drawing solid boxes on the desktop, or some other type of
boxes, you'll have to figure out which software you installed into
Windows that is a startup program, but is no longer working.

Re: Minor problem

<sgm7eb$7qs$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54221&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54221

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:37:15 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:37 UTC

On 8/31/21 10:53 AM, knuttle wrote:
> A some point in the last couple of weeks I have lost the function of
> drawing on the desktop.   In the past while waiting for something to
> open, using the mouse I could make little boxes on the desktop using the
>  mouse pointer.  This is no longer available.
>
> While it is not a crisis, I am wondering if it was remove by MS, or I
> have changed a setting that makes it available.
>

> While it does not affect the cut and past function in the image or word
> processor,  I would like to know if it has an effect in some other part
> of the system OS.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

I fix so, so many W10 computers this way.