From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows boot manager
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:54:19 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:54 UTC

For years I've been dual booting Linux and Win10 with zero problems.

Recently I've decided to evaluate Windows11 so put the Linux drive in
another machine and substituted it with a Win11 drive.

I then setup the boot manager on the Win11 drive.

With Linux, I noticed that the boot manager (GRUB) hands off directly to
the OS. With Windows, first the boot manager loads , then once the OS is
selected, the system reboots to the desired OS.

The problem I've encountered is that after booting to Win11, the next
time I boot to Win10...about 20% of the time CHKDSK needs to run.

This is the same behavior I'd expect if the file system is uncleanly
unmounted. Does anyone here have more knowledge?

I'm thinking of removing the dual boot option and try selecting the
drive in the BIOS

Re: Windows boot manager

<sgh3nl$frt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54061&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54061

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows boot manager
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:03:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:03 UTC

philo wrote:
> For years I've been dual booting Linux and Win10 with zero problems.
>
> Recently I've decided to evaluate Windows11 so put the Linux drive in
> another machine and substituted it with a Win11 drive.
>
> I then setup the boot manager on the Win11 drive.
>
> With Linux, I noticed that the boot manager (GRUB) hands off directly to
> the OS. With Windows, first the boot manager loads , then once the OS is
> selected, the system reboots to the desired OS.
>

> The problem I've encountered is that after booting to Win11, the next
> time I boot to Win10...about 20% of the time CHKDSK needs to run.
>
> This is the same behavior I'd expect if the file system is uncleanly
> unmounted. Does anyone here have more knowledge?
>

> I'm thinking of removing the dual boot option and try selecting the
> drive in the BIOS

Well, first, we can try to stop that "double boot" for you.
It's the same thing that EasyBCD uses.

bcdedit # review existing setting

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True

bcdedit # review and note your new setting is added

You can do that from an Administrator Command Prompt.

On occasion, they also try to smash up our nice multiboot
setups with their shenanigans. Don't be surprised if
that setting is removed on you, after the next Insider
Upgrade install.

*******

I've not noticed CHKDSK running on mine. But, I
can also believe it is happening, because Microsoft
has been doing things to NTFS that it should not
be doing. This does not confirm that you're doing
dirty shutdowns. It might be part of their
not writing out the Volume Bitmap at shutdown.

I recommend you hit Google on this, and see if there
are any warnings right now about mixing CHKDSK with
that OS. It would be a pisser, if they managed to
make the damage worse with Windows 11, than it is
with Windows 10 already (the Macrium incident
comes to mind - older versions of Macrium cannot
back up NTFS on Win10 or Win11, you need a newer
version of Macrium to cover the way NTFS is now
treated).

Paul

Re: Windows boot manager

<sgh42u$hqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54063&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54063

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:09:17 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:09 UTC

On 8/29/2021 6:03 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> For years I've been dual booting Linux and Win10 with zero problems.
>>
>> Recently I've decided to evaluate Windows11 so put the Linux drive in
>> another machine and substituted it with a Win11 drive.
>>
>> I then setup the boot manager on the Win11 drive.
>>
>> With Linux, I noticed that the boot manager (GRUB) hands off directly
>> to the OS. With Windows, first the boot manager loads , then once the
>> OS is selected, the system reboots to the desired OS.
>>

>> The problem I've encountered is that after booting to Win11, the next
>> time I boot to Win10...about 20% of the time CHKDSK needs to run.
>>
>> This is the same behavior I'd expect if the file system is uncleanly
>> unmounted. Does anyone here have more knowledge?
>>

>> I'm thinking of removing the dual boot option and try selecting the
>> drive in the BIOS
>
> Well, first, we can try to stop that "double boot" for you.
> It's the same thing that EasyBCD uses.
>
>    bcdedit                     # review existing setting
>
>    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True
>
>    bcdedit                     # review and note your new setting is added
>
> You can do that from an Administrator Command Prompt.
>
> On occasion, they also try to smash up our nice multiboot
> setups with their shenanigans. Don't be surprised if
> that setting is removed on you, after the next Insider
> Upgrade install.
>
> *******
>
> I've not noticed CHKDSK running on mine. But, I
> can also believe it is happening, because Microsoft
> has been doing things to NTFS that it should not
> be doing. This does not confirm that you're doing
> dirty shutdowns. It might be part of their
> not writing out the Volume Bitmap at shutdown.
>
> I recommend you hit Google on this, and see if there
> are any warnings right now about mixing CHKDSK with
> that OS. It would be a pisser, if they managed to
> make the damage worse with Windows 11, than it is
> with Windows 10 already (the Macrium incident
> comes to mind - older versions of Macrium cannot
> back up NTFS on Win10 or Win11, you need a newer
> version of Macrium to cover the way NTFS is now
> treated).
>
>    Paul

Thanks Paul.

I tried a few registry hacks with Win11 but they were soon wiped out by
updates.

First thing I'll do is just remove the dual boot option and use the bios
and see if it continues.

Otherwise I may just put the win11 drive back in the original machine
and not bother to dual boot.

Re: Windows boot manager

<sghejc$54o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54080&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54080

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 21:08:44 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 02:08 UTC

On 8/29/2021 6:03 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> For years I've been dual booting Linux and Win10 with zero problems.
>>
>> Recently I've decided to evaluate Windows11 so put the Linux drive in
>> another machine and substituted it with a Win11 drive.
>>
>> I then setup the boot manager on the Win11 drive.
>>
>> With Linux, I noticed that the boot manager (GRUB) hands off directly
>> to the OS. With Windows, first the boot manager loads , then once the
>> OS is selected, the system reboots to the desired OS.
>>

>> The problem I've encountered is that after booting to Win11, the next
>> time I boot to Win10...about 20% of the time CHKDSK needs to run.
>>
>> This is the same behavior I'd expect if the file system is uncleanly
>> unmounted. Does anyone here have more knowledge?
>>

>> I'm thinking of removing the dual boot option and try selecting the
>> drive in the BIOS
>
> Well, first, we can try to stop that "double boot" for you.
> It's the same thing that EasyBCD uses.
>
>    bcdedit                     # review existing setting
>
>    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True
>
>    bcdedit                     # review and note your new setting is added
>
> You can do that from an Administrator Command Prompt.
>
> On occasion, they also try to smash up our nice multiboot
> setups with their shenanigans. Don't be surprised if
> that setting is removed on you, after the next Insider
> Upgrade install.
>
> *******
>
> I've not noticed CHKDSK running on mine. But, I
> can also believe it is happening, because Microsoft
> has been doing things to NTFS that it should not
> be doing. This does not confirm that you're doing
> dirty shutdowns. It might be part of their
> not writing out the Volume Bitmap at shutdown.
>
> I recommend you hit Google on this, and see if there
> are any warnings right now about mixing CHKDSK with
> that OS. It would be a pisser, if they managed to
> make the damage worse with Windows 11, than it is
> with Windows 10 already (the Macrium incident
> comes to mind - older versions of Macrium cannot
> back up NTFS on Win10 or Win11, you need a newer
> version of Macrium to cover the way NTFS is now
> treated).
>
>    Paul

Booted into win11 with boot manager and booted back to win10

CHKDSK ran again on all drives win10 win11 and data drive

booted back to win11 and removed dual boot.

Then booted into win11 and again into win10 about six times with zero
problems>

I highly suspect the windows boot manager is pretty useless