If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong. -- Norm Schryer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

SubjectAuthor
* Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMESilverSlimer
+* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEmark
|`* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar
| `* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEphilo
|  `- Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar
+* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEPaul
|`- Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar
`* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEMikeS
 `* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar
  +* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEMikeS
  |`- Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar
  `* Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMEPaul
   `- Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOMERabidHussar

1
Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<4mBWI.4595$rsCb.3176@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53995&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53995

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: silver@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Subject: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:25:20 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 01:25 UTC

I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my mother
is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation processor.

1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for a
Bitlocker key.
2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
there didn't work at all.
3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
computer.
4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead, as
if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in the
BIOS).
5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
(which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
again there was no product key attached.
7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.

At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave Microsoft
Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't contacted me so I
don't know if it found anything.

I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key and
use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while hoping
that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise, WHAT THE
HELL DO I DO and what caused this?

--
SilverSlimer

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<anpliglkijnibc2g68assia4m9up81scc4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53996&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53996

From: mark@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:46:56 -0500
 by: mark@invalid.com - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 01:46 UTC

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:25:20 -0400, SilverSlimer <silver@slim.er>
wrote:

>I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
>Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my mother
>is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation processor.
>
>1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
>updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for a
>Bitlocker key.
>2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
>there didn't work at all.
>3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
>eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
>computer.
>4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
>Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead, as
>if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in the
>BIOS).
>5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
>(which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
>6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
>again there was no product key attached.
>7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
>device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
>8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
>Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
>9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
>indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
>but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
>10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
>suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>
>At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
>there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave Microsoft
>Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't contacted me so I
>don't know if it found anything.
>
>I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
>including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key and
>use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while hoping
>that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise, WHAT THE
>HELL DO I DO and what caused this?

Ahh, you people who just can't accept Progress.

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<zNBWI.210$g_4.205@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53997&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53997

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:54:38 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 01:54 UTC

On 2021-08-28 9:46 p.m., mark@invalid.com wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:25:20 -0400, SilverSlimer <silver@slim.er>
> wrote:
>
>> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
>> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my mother
>> is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation processor.
>>
>> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
>> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for a
>> Bitlocker key.
>> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
>> there didn't work at all.
>> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
>> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
>> computer.
>> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
>> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead, as
>> if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in the
>> BIOS).
>> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
>> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
>> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
>> again there was no product key attached.
>> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
>> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
>> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
>> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
>> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
>> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
>> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
>> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
>> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>>
>> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
>> there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave Microsoft
>> Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't contacted me so I
>> don't know if it found anything.
>>
>> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
>> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key and
>> use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while hoping
>> that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise, WHAT THE
>> HELL DO I DO and what caused this?
>
> Ahh, you people who just can't accept Progress.

If it makes you feel better, I'm very sympathetic to Linux and generally
end up installing it on pretty much every machine I own... typically as
a result of garbage like this. The only reason this machine has Windows
on it is because its purpose is primarily gaming.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<2eb35e2abfe131fb4929625e92dd8a97@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53998&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53998

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:09:49 +0000
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:09 UTC

I'm also a Linux user but still need to use Windows to get the best use of my negative scanner and photo printer.

Pretty much all I do on-line though is with Linux.

I recently had a problem ...not as bad as the Bit Locker one but was unable to re-activate Windows on a new mobo.

I finally gave up and did a clean install when I was done...it was activated !

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<8eCWI.5027$7w6.408@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53999&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53999

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:25:08 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:25 UTC

On 2021-08-28 10:09 p.m., philo wrote:
> I'm also a Linux user but still need to use Windows to get the best use
> of my negative scanner and photo printer.
>
> Pretty much all I do on-line though is with Linux.
>
> I recently had a problem ...not as bad as the Bit Locker one but was
> unable to re-activate Windows on a new mobo.
>
> I finally gave up and did a clean install when I was done...it was
> activated !

So the clean install is basically my only hope. Luckily for me, my
mother has nothing of value on that hard disk but still, it's just sad
that such a thing would be necessary for a woman who does nothing other
than go on Hotmail and Facebook.
--
RabidHussar
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<sgf84f$9cc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54003&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54003

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:06:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 06:06 UTC

SilverSlimer wrote:
> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my mother
> is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation processor.
>
> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for a
> Bitlocker key.
> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
> there didn't work at all.
> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
> computer.
> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead, as
> if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in the
> BIOS).
> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
> again there was no product key attached.
> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>
> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
> there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave Microsoft
> Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't contacted me so I
> don't know if it found anything.
>
> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key and
> use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while hoping
> that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise, WHAT THE
> HELL DO I DO and what caused this?

When Windows 10 is activated, and is using Digital Activation
where the activation record is stored on the Microsoft server
and not on the machine, tools like Produkey will return

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (Windows 10 Professional) <--- X79
YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 (Windows 10 Home - multi language) <--- Acer laptop
BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT (Windows 10 Home - single language)

In my case, they would be Upgrade Installs, using
qualifying OSes as a proof of purchase. I've verified
two of the bogus key values, on my own equipment.

You cannot type in the 3V66T key, as a regular key
and expect it to work. Those keys don't pass muster,
and are placeholders. They do NOT re-activate the
OS. Only the machine doing a hash() calc of the hardware
details (NIC MAC address in particular), serve to look up
the activation record at Microsoft that the machine was
previously activated, then the 3V66T type value comes back
to cover the hole that needs paving. I've tested
automatic re-activation more than once, and it works
without issue.

If the machine had an MSDM (was sold as a Dell Win10
or a Dell Win8), then I suppose it would be possible
for the MSDM value to be copied into the Registry. I don't
know in all these cases, whether 3V66T is used
"to the max", and only a Boxed Software key gets
plugged in there or not. I presume Boxed Software COA
key, that would stay put in the Produkey view. But many
other situations, where the hash() based activation is
stored on the server end, there's no need of a valid
key to be stored on C: . Just click Skip and let the
automation take over. The automation works, as long as
you don't make radical changes to hardware (changing
the motherboard is a *bad* idea, without advanced
preparation).

There are situations where you would not let the
automation drive the bus. If you bought a Dell W10 Home
machine and bought Boxed Software W10 Pro as an upgrade,
then when you reinstalled W10 Pro at some point, you
would be advised to type in the W10 Pro key, so the
OS does not get into a schmozzle eating the MSDM Home
key and concluding "things were busted". If there
is potential for confusion, then I would offer it
the hint, by using the Boxed Software key. One of
the W10 releases since 2015, had an actual problem with
that install scenario (Pro installed on a Royalty Home
machine).

*******

The ACPI BIOS tables contain various static data.

At one time, a SLIC entry (10KB) would contain a
Dell or an HP or an Acer chunk that would activate
any suitable branded OS (XP, Vista, W7, one SKU level).

For W8 and W10, a real key is stored in ACPI MSDM table.
A Dell W8 or a Dell W10, has a real 25-character string
stored in the MSDM table. Any keyfinder that is under
continued software maintenance, will have had an MSDM
extractor added. You can also dump it from Linux.

If the OS reinstalls, such as using the Dell Recovery partition,
when prompted for a key, you select Skip, and if you
check later

slmgr /dlv

the machine should have activated on its own.

*******

I would say the TPM got reset at some point, which
tipped over the Bitlocker, and only "best practice recovery
key media" would recover it.

It could be malware, but you would have seen a "red screen"
if that were the case.

Paul

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<BsLWI.897$YG4.692@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54006&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54006

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 08:54:56 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:54 UTC

On 2021-08-29 2:06 a.m., Paul wrote:
> [...]
> that install scenario (Pro installed on a Royalty Home
> machine).
>
> *******
>
> The ACPI BIOS tables contain various static data.
>
> At one time, a SLIC entry (10KB) would contain a
> Dell or an HP or an Acer chunk that would activate
> any suitable branded OS (XP, Vista, W7, one SKU level).
>
> For W8 and W10, a real key is stored in ACPI MSDM table.
> A Dell W8 or a Dell W10, has a real 25-character string
> stored in the MSDM table. Any keyfinder that is under
> continued software maintenance, will have had an MSDM
> extractor added. You can also dump it from Linux.
>
> If the OS reinstalls, such as using the Dell Recovery partition,
> when prompted for a key, you select Skip, and if you
> check later
>
>    slmgr /dlv
>
> the machine should have activated on its own.

This command returns an error as do other commands with slmgr. That's
one of the reasons I thought that it might be malware.

> *******
>
> I would say the TPM got reset at some point, which
> tipped over the Bitlocker, and only "best practice recovery
> key media" would recover it.
>
> It could be malware, but you would have seen a "red screen"
> if that were the case.

If I do a clean install and it doesn't activate, I'll install Linux on
there and never look back. My own computers have routinely had Microsoft
drop activation for the most ridiculous of reasons (I plugged in a
different power brick into my previous laptop, for example) and this is
something I don't want to expose a 72 year-old woman to if I don't have
to. As hard as it is to believe, we've gotten to an age where if you
want the least amount of headaches, _Linux_ is a better option than
Windows rather the inverse.

Anyways, when my mother comes over next week, I'll ask her to bring the
desktop itself so I can clean install over here and hope for the best.
This is the kind of thing I hate doing whenever I'm not in the comfort
of my own home, especially since Windows installs take forever.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<sgg5ah$ffm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54008&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54008

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:24:17 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:24 UTC

On 29/08/2021 02:25, SilverSlimer wrote:
> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my mother
> is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation processor.
>
> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for a
> Bitlocker key.
> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
> there didn't work at all.
> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
> computer.
> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead, as
> if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in the
> BIOS).
> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
> again there was no product key attached.
> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>
> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
> there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave Microsoft
> Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't contacted me so I
> don't know if it found anything.
>
> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key and
> use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while hoping
> that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise, WHAT THE
> HELL DO I DO and what caused this?

Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have optional
Device encryption.

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<KPMWI.2206$uU5.850@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54010&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54010

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:27:54 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:27 UTC

On 2021-08-29 10:24 a.m., MikeS wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 02:25, SilverSlimer wrote:
>> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
>> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my
>> mother is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation
>> processor.
>>
>> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
>> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt for
>> a Bitlocker key.
>> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
>> there didn't work at all.
>> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
>> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
>> computer.
>> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
>> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead,
>> as if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in
>> the BIOS).
>> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
>> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
>> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
>> again there was no product key attached.
>> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
>> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
>> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
>> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
>> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
>> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
>> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
>> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
>> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>>
>> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured that
>> there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave
>> Microsoft Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't
>> contacted me so I don't know if it found anything.
>>
>> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
>> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key
>> and use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while
>> hoping that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise,
>> WHAT THE HELL DO I DO and what caused this?
>>
> Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have optional
> Device encryption.

The question then is: why would Microsoft enable device encryption
without the user explicitly asking for it and therefore completing
ruining the computer in every possible way?

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<sggane$unf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54011&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54011

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 16:56:29 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:56 UTC

On 29/08/2021 15:27, RabidHussar wrote:
> On 2021-08-29 10:24 a.m., MikeS wrote:
>> On 29/08/2021 02:25, SilverSlimer wrote:
>>> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
>>> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my
>>> mother is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation
>>> processor.
>>>
>>> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
>>> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt
>>> for a Bitlocker key.
>>> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
>>> there didn't work at all.
>>> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
>>> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
>>> computer.
>>> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
>>> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead,
>>> as if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in
>>> the BIOS).
>>> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
>>> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
>>> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
>>> again there was no product key attached.
>>> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
>>> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
>>> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
>>> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
>>> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
>>> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
>>> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
>>> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
>>> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>>>
>>> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured
>>> that there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave
>>> Microsoft Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't
>>> contacted me so I don't know if it found anything.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
>>> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key
>>> and use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while
>>> hoping that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise,
>>> WHAT THE HELL DO I DO and what caused this?
>>>
>> Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have optional
>> Device encryption.
>
> The question then is: why would Microsoft enable device encryption
> without the user explicitly asking for it and therefore completing
> ruining the computer in every possible way?

The question is: how could he be asked to enter a Bitlocker key.
I have never encountered a case of Microsoft enabling device encryption
without asking. So what else did he get wrong?

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<sgganp$nj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54012&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54012

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:56:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:56 UTC

RabidHussar wrote:
> On 2021-08-29 10:24 a.m., MikeS wrote:
>> On 29/08/2021 02:25, SilverSlimer wrote:
>>> I didn't think something like this could happen but I guess that with
>>> Microsoft, anything is possible. Just so you know in advance, my
>>> mother is running an i7 with TPP enabled on here 8th generation
>>> processor.
>>>
>>> 1) When I was at my mother's, I had to restart the computer to apply
>>> updates at some point and, upon restart, was greeted with a prompt
>>> for a Bitlocker key.
>>> 2) Checked her account credentials for the recovery key but the key
>>> there didn't work at all.
>>> 3) Despite trying to enter the computer from every possible angle,
>>> eventually surrendered to the reality that I would have to reset the
>>> computer.
>>> 4) Upon reset, the product key was no longer attached to the system.
>>> Used the command prompt to retrieve it but received an error instead,
>>> as if there was no product key installed at all (and none recorded in
>>> the BIOS).
>>> 5) Out of desperation, did a restore from her separation partition
>>> (which was only 2.5GB, shockingly).
>>> 6) After a few hours (surprisingly), the system was restored but once
>>> again there was no product key attached.
>>> 7) Checked her Microsoft account, figured that maybe the registered
>>> device was conflicting so removed it. No help.
>>> 8) Used a few of my old product keys, one for Windows 7 Ultimate and
>>> Windows 8 Pro in the hope that they might work, they didn't.
>>> 9) Downloaded and installed Produkey to verify if the product key was
>>> indeed on the system. It was found in both c:\Windows and in the BIOS
>>> but entering it manually into the system is rejected.
>>> 10) Attempted to force the key to be saved using some CMD commands
>>> suggested on a few sites and received errors after each attempt.
>>>
>>> At a loss and needing to return home because of my boy, I figured
>>> that there must be some malware on the system and decided to leave
>>> Microsoft Offline Defender running as I left. My mother hasn't
>>> contacted me so I don't know if it found anything.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking the only thing left to do is to wipe the entire drive
>>> including the separate partitions, install Windows 10 from a USB key
>>> and use the product key I retrieved during the installation all while
>>> hoping that it was only rejected as a result of malware. Otherwise,
>>> WHAT THE HELL DO I DO and what caused this?
>>>
>> Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have optional
>> Device encryption.
>
> The question then is: why would Microsoft enable device encryption
> without the user explicitly asking for it and therefore completing
> ruining the computer in every possible way?

An article by Ed Bott suggests there is a prompt.

But this one says that on Dells, it is possible
for encryption to enable itself, as soon as even
one MSA is used on the computer for some reason.

https://www.wintips.org/fix-dell-laptop-needs-the-bitlocker-recovery-key/

And I notice a sense of glee, when the last option on
the webpage, is their version of "nuke and pave".
Which is a poor way for an encryption accident to end.

What I don't understand, is the key is supposed to be
uploaded to the Microsoft server, for recovery.

And naturally, every article has a differenr URL to try.

https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey

Paul

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<6_QWI.19566$Kv2.4658@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54025&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54025

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:12:03 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:12 UTC

On 2021-08-29 11:56 a.m., MikeS wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 15:27, RabidHussar wrote:

>>> Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have
>>> optional Device encryption.
>>
>> The question then is: why would Microsoft enable device encryption
>> without the user explicitly asking for it and therefore completing
>> ruining the computer in every possible way?
>>

> The question is: how could he be asked to enter a Bitlocker key.
> I have never encountered a case of Microsoft enabling device encryption
> without asking. So what else did he get wrong?

The Bitlocker key in particular is very bizarre considering how TPP on
the processor was already enabled. I looked it up online and others had
the same issue, fixing it by enabling TPP in BIOS. However, in this
case, TPP was already enabled. Usually, that would have removed the
requirement for a password, as far as I know.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Windows Update enabled Bitlocker on my mother's Windows 10 HOME

<y%QWI.19567$Kv2.2071@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54027&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54027

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:13:35 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:13 UTC

On 2021-08-29 11:56 a.m., Paul wrote:
> RabidHussar wrote:

>>> Windows 10 Home does not have Bitlocker although it does have
>>> optional Device encryption.
>>
>> The question then is: why would Microsoft enable device encryption
>> without the user explicitly asking for it and therefore completing
>> ruining the computer in every possible way?
>
> An article by Ed Bott suggests there is a prompt.
>
> But this one says that on Dells, it is possible
> for encryption to enable itself, as soon as even
> one MSA is used on the computer for some reason.
>
> https://www.wintips.org/fix-dell-laptop-needs-the-bitlocker-recovery-key/
>
> And I notice a sense of glee, when the last option on
> the webpage, is their version of "nuke and pave".
> Which is a poor way for an encryption accident to end.
>
> What I don't understand, is the key is supposed to be
> uploaded to the Microsoft server, for recovery.
>
> And naturally, every article has a differenr URL to try.
>
> https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey

A key was indeed uploaded to the account.microsoft.com page, except that
the key was invalid. I double and triple-checked what was typed in but
it simply did not work.

The behaviour truly strikes me as malware but the Bitlocker prompt was
indeed the one I was used to when I enabled Bitlocker on my own
computer. Generally, malware produces its own encryption screen.

--
@RabidHussar