Heisenberg might have been here.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / W11: 168 hit

SubjectAuthor
* W11: 168 hitT
+- Re: W11: 168 hitT
`* Re: W11: 168 hitPeter Johnson
 `* Re: W11: 168 hitRene Lamontagne
  `* Re: W11: 168 hitT
   `* Re: W11: 168 hitRoger Blake
    +* Re: W11: 168 hitRabidHussar
    |`* Re: W11: 168 hitRoger Blake
    | `* Re: W11: 168 hitBig Al
    |  `* Re: W11: 168 hitRoger Blake
    |   `* Re: W11: 168 hitBig Al
    |    +* Re: W11: 168 hitRene Lamontagne
    |    |`- Re: W11: 168 hitRoger Blake
    |    `* Re: W11: 168 hitRoger Blake
    |     +- Re: W11: 168 hitRene Lamontagne
    |     +- Re: W11: 168 hitBig Al
    |     `* Re: W11: 168 hitPaul
    |      `- Re: W11: 168 hitPaul
    `- Re: W11: 168 hitT

1
W11: 168 hit

<sgebq3$vmm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53982&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53982

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: W11: 168 hit
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:02:41 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:02 UTC

22000.168 just hit uupdump

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sgeduu$c2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53986&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53986

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: W11: 168 hit
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:39:26 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:39 UTC

On 8/28/21 3:02 PM, T wrote:
> 22000.168 just hit uupdump

and uupdump just told me that 168 has been
removed from the windows server. Hmmmmmmm

Re: W11: 168 hit

<nt5nig5gd2kl7t934t1ul1921f0e2ccg3n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54007&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54007

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:21:05 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:21 UTC

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:02:41 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>22000.168 just hit uupdump

I installed it on Friday without issues.

Re: W11: 168 hit

<ip1jq2F2374U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54009&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54009

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:27:14 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:27 UTC

On 2021-08-29 9:21 a.m., Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:02:41 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> 22000.168 just hit uupdump
>
> I installed it on Friday without issues.

Yep, it was there yesterday as it installed on my machine.

Rene

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sgh1er$2fs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54055&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54055

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:24:25 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:24 UTC

On 8/29/21 7:27 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-29 9:21 a.m., Peter Johnson wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:02:41 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> 22000.168 just hit uupdump
>>
>> I installed it on Friday without issues.
>>

> Yep, it was there yesterday as it installed on my machine.
>
> Rene

Oh you know what, I downloaded the "upgrade" not
the "Cumulative". Cumulative it downloading as I
write this.

Re: W11: 168 hit

<20210830233940@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54139&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54139

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:52:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:52 UTC

On 2021-08-29, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Oh you know what, I downloaded the "upgrade" not
> the "Cumulative". Cumulative it downloading as I
> write this.

My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to take a look to see just
how bad this thing was going to be, mainly to see if it's as awful as I'd
feared. So I downloaded 168 (Pro version) from uupdump and installed in a
VirtualBox VM. My hardware is not new enough to do an "upgrade" but I'd
read that it's possible to do a clean install despite this, so I did that
rather than upgrading a Win10 VM.

Installation went OK, but then it got to the point of logging in, it
would only permit either using a Microsoft account or a domain account.
I don't have or want a Microsoft account and do not have a domain
controller. I figured this might be like Windows 10 where you need
to be disconnected from the internet to use an ordinary local account,
so I powered down the VM, set the network interface to "Not attached",
and rebooted. The VM hung/crashed before getting to the account setup
screen.

So, thinking something got corrupted when I pulled the plug I reinstalled
from scratch, leaving the network unattached. The installation starts out
OK but hangs at "Getting ready", the circling dots stopping.

Unless I'm missing something it looks like even the Pro version isn't going
to work with a local account. For me that counts as not just one, but three
strikes against Windows 11. If you really cannot use it with a local account
I'm out.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: W11: 168 hit

<Z_oXI.41364$QzOf.2749@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54146&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54146

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rabid@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:10:32 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:10 UTC

On 2021-08-30 11:52 p.m., Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-29, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Oh you know what, I downloaded the "upgrade" not
>> the "Cumulative". Cumulative it downloading as I
>> write this.
>
> My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to take a look to see just
> how bad this thing was going to be, mainly to see if it's as awful as I'd
> feared. So I downloaded 168 (Pro version) from uupdump and installed in a
> VirtualBox VM. My hardware is not new enough to do an "upgrade" but I'd
> read that it's possible to do a clean install despite this, so I did that
> rather than upgrading a Win10 VM.
>
> Installation went OK, but then it got to the point of logging in, it
> would only permit either using a Microsoft account or a domain account.
> I don't have or want a Microsoft account and do not have a domain
> controller. I figured this might be like Windows 10 where you need
> to be disconnected from the internet to use an ordinary local account,
> so I powered down the VM, set the network interface to "Not attached",
> and rebooted. The VM hung/crashed before getting to the account setup
> screen.
>
> So, thinking something got corrupted when I pulled the plug I reinstalled
> from scratch, leaving the network unattached. The installation starts out
> OK but hangs at "Getting ready", the circling dots stopping.
>
> Unless I'm missing something it looks like even the Pro version isn't going
> to work with a local account. For me that counts as not just one, but three
> strikes against Windows 11. If you really cannot use it with a local account
> I'm out.

If you think about it, even Windows 10 made it difficult for you to use
a local account. They tried, as much as possible, to tie an installation
to particular user by forcing you to provide your Microsoft account.
Nevertheless, I notice that if you install without there being an
Internet connection immediately available (or if you simply don't
connect), it doesn't bully you in the same manner.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: W11: 168 hit

<20210831082242@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54147&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54147

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:31:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:31 UTC

On 2021-08-31, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
> If you think about it, even Windows 10 made it difficult for you to use
> a local account. They tried, as much as possible, to tie an installation
> to particular user by forcing you to provide your Microsoft account.
> Nevertheless, I notice that if you install without there being an
> Internet connection immediately available (or if you simply don't
> connect), it doesn't bully you in the same manner.

I really don't understand why anyone would want Microsoft controlling
loggin in to their own PC. It practically makes your computer a terminal
on Microsoft's network. Maybe good for Microsoft but not something I'd
want. I've read it is possible to switch back to
a local account after the initial setup, the problem is getting through
setup without a Microsoft account. (Maybe I'm just stubborn but I refuse
to sign up for a Microsoft account even though I know one can just use a
throwaway email address and give them fake info.)

I've used the no internet connection trick on Windows 10 routinely, but
as I mentioned with the Windows 11 preview the installation just hangs
when it gets to the point where you select your login. It may have
something to do with running in VirtualBox, maybe that trick works if
running on real hardware, I dunno. Instead of selecting the no connection
option for the virtual adapter I could try leaving it with default settings
and temporarily disabling internet access on the host machine. This is
quickly getting to the point though where it's more trouble than it's worth.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sgl9a3$i3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54150&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54150

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:02:57 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:02 UTC

On 8/31/21 8:31 AM, this is what Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
>> If you think about it, even Windows 10 made it difficult for you to use
>> a local account. They tried, as much as possible, to tie an installation
>> to particular user by forcing you to provide your Microsoft account.
>> Nevertheless, I notice that if you install without there being an
>> Internet connection immediately available (or if you simply don't
>> connect), it doesn't bully you in the same manner.
>
> I really don't understand why anyone would want Microsoft controlling
> loggin in to their own PC. It practically makes your computer a terminal
> on Microsoft's network. Maybe good for Microsoft but not something I'd
> want. I've read it is possible to switch back to
> a local account after the initial setup, the problem is getting through
> setup without a Microsoft account. (Maybe I'm just stubborn but I refuse
> to sign up for a Microsoft account even though I know one can just use a
> throwaway email address and give them fake info.)
>
> I've used the no internet connection trick on Windows 10 routinely, but
> as I mentioned with the Windows 11 preview the installation just hangs
> when it gets to the point where you select your login. It may have
> something to do with running in VirtualBox, maybe that trick works if
> running on real hardware, I dunno. Instead of selecting the no connection
> option for the virtual adapter I could try leaving it with default settings
> and temporarily disabling internet access on the host machine. This is
> quickly getting to the point though where it's more trouble than it's worth.

The digital license is tied to that MS account. So why would you not want to get that perpetual (currently) license?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: W11: 168 hit

<20210831090816@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54151&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54151

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:17:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:17 UTC

On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> The digital license is tied to that MS account. So why would you not want to get that perpetual (currently) license?

I've set up plenty of Windows 10 systems without a Microsoft account and
had not problems with the digital license. It's tied to the hardware,
no Microsoft account needed.

I would ask again, why would anyone want Microsoft remotely controlling
the login to their own computer and sucking up who knows how much information
to associate with you and your Microsoft Account? No thanks. (Doesn't
affect me personally since I run Linux on all my own systems but I maintain
Windows for others.)

In any event, setting the virtual adapter for my Windows 11 VM to the
default setting (NAT) and disabling internet access on the host machine
worked. Got the same prompts as Windows 10 setup without an internet
connection, "I don't have internet" and continue with "limited setup".
So there was some issue with leaving the VirtualBox network adapter
enabled but not connected that was crashing the setup.

Now I can see for myself what fresh new hell Microsoft is unleashing
and whether it's enough of a PITA that I'll go deeper into semi-retirement
by dropping my Windows customers...

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sglaat$qj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54152&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54152

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:20:27 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:20 UTC

On 8/31/21 9:17 AM, this is what Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> The digital license is tied to that MS account. So why would you not want to get that perpetual (currently) license?
>
> I've set up plenty of Windows 10 systems without a Microsoft account and
> had not problems with the digital license. It's tied to the hardware,
> no Microsoft account needed.
>
> I would ask again, why would anyone want Microsoft remotely controlling
> the login to their own computer
who says they are remotely controlling your pc?
and sucking up who knows how much information
> to associate with you and your Microsoft Account? No thanks. (Doesn't
> affect me personally since I run Linux on all my own systems but I maintain
> Windows for others.)
>
> In any event, setting the virtual adapter for my Windows 11 VM to the
> default setting (NAT) and disabling internet access on the host machine
> worked. Got the same prompts as Windows 10 setup without an internet
> connection, "I don't have internet" and continue with "limited setup".
> So there was some issue with leaving the VirtualBox network adapter
> enabled but not connected that was crashing the setup.
>
> Now I can see for myself what fresh new hell Microsoft is unleashing
> and whether it's enough of a PITA that I'll go deeper into semi-retirement
> by dropping my Windows customers...

Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS. Sorry your life is that troubled.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: W11: 168 hit

<ip6p5bF25o4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54153&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54153

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:29:15 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:29 UTC

On 2021-08-31 8:20 a.m., Big Al wrote:
> On 8/31/21 9:17 AM, this is what Roger Blake wrote:
>> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>>> The digital license is tied to that MS account.  So why would you not
>>> want to get that perpetual (currently) license?
>>
>> I've set up plenty of Windows 10 systems without a Microsoft account and
>> had not problems with the digital license. It's tied to the hardware,
>> no Microsoft account needed.
>>
>> I would ask again, why would anyone want Microsoft remotely controlling
>> the login to their own computer
> who says they are remotely controlling your pc?
> and sucking up who knows how much information
>> to associate with you and your Microsoft Account? No thanks. (Doesn't
>> affect me personally since I run Linux on all my own systems but I
>> maintain
>> Windows for others.)
>>
>> In any event, setting the virtual adapter for my Windows 11 VM to the
>> default setting (NAT) and disabling internet access on the host machine
>> worked. Got the same prompts as Windows 10 setup without an internet
>> connection, "I don't have internet" and continue with "limited setup".
>> So there was some issue with leaving the VirtualBox network adapter
>> enabled but not connected that was crashing the setup.
>>
>> Now I can see for myself what fresh new hell Microsoft is unleashing
>> and whether it's enough of a PITA that I'll go deeper into
>> semi-retirement
>> by dropping my Windows customers...
>>

> Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS.   Sorry your life is that
> troubled.

He seems very paranoid and afraid !

Rene

Re: W11: 168 hit

<20210831093126@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54154&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54154

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:45:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:45 UTC

On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS. Sorry your life is that troubled.

I didn't say they controlled your PC, just the login when using a
Microsoft account, however since you bring it up the constant stream of
updates with little or no official way to control them certainly brings
with it a large measure of control. Of course by default they're sucking
up information, that's been a big concern at least since the release
of Windows 10. And just why the fuck does an operating system even have
the concept of an "advertising ID" for delivery of targeted advertising?

Don't even get me started. Having dealt with the company and its shitty
products for over 40 years and watching mistakes piled on top of mistakes
piled on top of mistakes piled on top of mistakes ad nauseum... you bet I
have a burr up my ass for MS. I don't like the company. I don't like their
products. I don't like their approach to pushing users to the "Microsoft
experience" at every turn and pushing out and enabling unasked-for
"features". (Why the fuck has "News and Interests" suddenly appeared on
all of my customers' PCs, who the hell asked for that?) I don't use any
of Microsoft's garbage products myself. Have never even used any of the
Office products, and yes, I'm in business and have been for a long time.

My life is not troubled in general, I simply find Microsoft to be a
dangling dingleberry on the pimpled ass of computing.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: W11: 168 hit

<20210831094518@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54155&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54155

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:49:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:49 UTC

On 2021-08-31, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
> He seems very paranoid and afraid !

If being realistic in your view (apparently with blinders on) means
"paranoid and afraid" then guilty as charged.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: W11: 168 hit

<ip6u04F33drU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54158&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54158

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:51:48 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:51 UTC

On 2021-08-31 8:45 a.m., Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS. Sorry your life is that troubled.
>
> I didn't say they controlled your PC, just the login when using a
> Microsoft account, however since you bring it up the constant stream of
> updates with little or no official way to control them certainly brings
> with it a large measure of control. Of course by default they're sucking
> up information, that's been a big concern at least since the release
> of Windows 10. And just why the fuck does an operating system even have
> the concept of an "advertising ID" for delivery of targeted advertising?
>
> Don't even get me started. Having dealt with the company and its shitty
> products for over 40 years and watching mistakes piled on top of mistakes
> piled on top of mistakes piled on top of mistakes ad nauseum... you bet I
> have a burr up my ass for MS. I don't like the company. I don't like their
> products. I don't like their approach to pushing users to the "Microsoft
> experience" at every turn and pushing out and enabling unasked-for
> "features". (Why the fuck has "News and Interests" suddenly appeared on
> all of my customers' PCs, who the hell asked for that?) I don't use any
> of Microsoft's garbage products myself. Have never even used any of the
> Office products, and yes, I'm in business and have been for a long time.
>
> My life is not troubled in general, I simply find Microsoft to be a
> dangling dingleberry on the pimpled ass of computing.

I don't understand this login thing problem, I have windows 11 set up
not to require a login using netplwiz.exe

Rene

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sglfrg$313$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54159&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54159

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:54:37 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:54 UTC

On 8/31/21 9:45 AM, this is what Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS. Sorry your life is that troubled.
>
> I didn't say they controlled your PC, just the login when using a
> Microsoft account, however since you bring it up the constant stream of
> updates with little or no official way to control them certainly brings
> with it a large measure of control. Of course by default they're sucking
> up information, that's been a big concern at least since the release
> of Windows 10. And just why the fuck does an operating system even have
> the concept of an "advertising ID" for delivery of targeted advertising?
>
> Don't even get me started. Having dealt with the company and its shitty
> products for over 40 years and watching mistakes piled on top of mistakes
> piled on top of mistakes piled on top of mistakes ad nauseum... you bet I
> have a burr up my ass for MS. I don't like the company. I don't like their
> products. I don't like their approach to pushing users to the "Microsoft
> experience" at every turn and pushing out and enabling unasked-for
> "features". (Why the fuck has "News and Interests" suddenly appeared on
> all of my customers' PCs, who the hell asked for that?) I don't use any
> of Microsoft's garbage products myself. Have never even used any of the
> Office products, and yes, I'm in business and have been for a long time.
>
> My life is not troubled in general, I simply find Microsoft to be a
> dangling dingleberry on the pimpled ass of computing.

I too run Linux for probably some of your complaints. I can stop any update or pause it for anytime or forever. Of course I'm preaching to
the choir as the saying goes. I don't argue with you it's just your high level of distrust that I find interesting. Comparing *nix and
Windows is night and day.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sglmng$ka9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54170&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54170

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:51:58 -0400
References: <sgebq3$vmm$1@dont-email.me> <nt5nig5gd2kl7t934t1ul1921f0e2ccg3n@4ax.com> <ip1jq2F2374U1@mid.individual.net> <sgh1er$2fs$1@dont-email.me> <20210830233940@news.eternal-september.org> <Z_oXI.41364$QzOf.2749@fx17.iad> <20210831082242@news.eternal-september.org> <sgl9a3$i3c$1@dont-email.me> <20210831090816@news.eternal-september.org> <sglaat$qj0$1@dont-email.me> <20210831093126@news.eternal-september.org>
 by: Paul - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:51 UTC

Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Boy you really got a bur up you ass for MS. Sorry your life is that troubled.
>
> I didn't say they controlled your PC, just the login when using a
> Microsoft account, however since you bring it up the constant stream of
> updates with little or no official way to control them certainly brings
> with it a large measure of control. Of course by default they're sucking
> up information, that's been a big concern at least since the release
> of Windows 10. And just why the fuck does an operating system even have
> the concept of an "advertising ID" for delivery of targeted advertising?
>
> Don't even get me started. Having dealt with the company and its shitty
> products for over 40 years and watching mistakes piled on top of mistakes
> piled on top of mistakes piled on top of mistakes ad nauseum... you bet I
> have a burr up my ass for MS. I don't like the company. I don't like their
> products. I don't like their approach to pushing users to the "Microsoft
> experience" at every turn and pushing out and enabling unasked-for
> "features". (Why the fuck has "News and Interests" suddenly appeared on
> all of my customers' PCs, who the hell asked for that?) I don't use any
> of Microsoft's garbage products myself. Have never even used any of the
> Office products, and yes, I'm in business and have been for a long time.
>
> My life is not troubled in general, I simply find Microsoft to be a
> dangling dingleberry on the pimpled ass of computing.

Is this a T&C of using an Insider Edition ?

Why, golly, petunia, yes, it is a T&C.

The W11 making the rounds today, is a beta
for Insider Edition people. What should have happened,
is if you downloaded directly from the Microsoft
site, the T&C of an Insider would have been obvious,
because the download page would be dressed in
Insider terminology.

This is a test OS, where Insider participants record
their observations in Feedback Hub. For example, I reported
an icon file missing from the Task Bar, on my copy, since
I hadn't made a Feedback Hub report in a few years, and
I wanted to see if it still worked. You probably would
not like what happened there either (when you make a bug
report, the machine prepares a file/version list for
analysis which is, um, somewhat lengthy).

Instead, you pulled a copy from uupdump. Where is that
exactly, Russia ? What was in that file ? How did you
scan it and determine authenticity ? Sure, you pulled it
into a VM, but is a VM that much of an assurance against
attack ?

By doing it the uupdump way, you did not see the T&C
that a real download page would have. Here is an
announcement, that a *legit* image is available.

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-11-iso-install/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

The dress of that page, should tell you that an MSA is
going to be required. It's like the other Insider downloads.
Firefox, on the right in the following picture, doesn't seem
to be requesting a login, so I have to switch to MSEdge W11
to do the download. 5GB. x64 version is on offer.

I could equally as well have booted one of the W10 Insiders
on that same hard drive, and done it without typing a password
either. I haven't typed the password (or any PIN) for the MSA
in yonks, but it's not for lack of trying on Microsofts part.
On the Win10 Insider, I am frequently asked to "repair an account issue",
which really amounts to an attempt to get me to log in again,
and if you ignore the request, life goes on. I'm just
as stubborn as they are.

https://i.postimg.cc/nLdQ8kJr/download-ff-insider2.gif

Now, that link is downloaded from the Microsoft site,
so nobody is "making ISOs in their moms basement".

And when I attempt to install that, *OF COURSE* I will
be prompted for the MSA. This is not the Win11 Home
MSA requirement (placed there so they can do Device
Encryption via TPM). This is the standard Insider Edition
MSA requirement, so would be present on Professional too.

Today, interacting with the W11 machine was particularly
slow. It's going to take "mighty hardware", to pretend
this is as responsive as your Celeron 300 was back in
Windows 98 days. It runs with all of the speed of the
Windows 10X dual screen emulator. Yet, for different
reasons.

Paul

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sgls54$rt5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54183&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54183

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:24:35 -0400
References: <sgebq3$vmm$1@dont-email.me> <nt5nig5gd2kl7t934t1ul1921f0e2ccg3n@4ax.com> <ip1jq2F2374U1@mid.individual.net> <sgh1er$2fs$1@dont-email.me> <20210830233940@news.eternal-september.org> <Z_oXI.41364$QzOf.2749@fx17.iad> <20210831082242@news.eternal-september.org> <sgl9a3$i3c$1@dont-email.me> <20210831090816@news.eternal-september.org> <sglaat$qj0$1@dont-email.me> <20210831093126@news.eternal-september.org> <sglmng$ka9$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:24 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> This is a test OS, where Insider participants record
> their observations in Feedback Hub. For example, I reported
> an icon file missing from the Task Bar, on my copy, since
> I hadn't made a Feedback Hub report in a few years, and
> I wanted to see if it still worked. You probably would
> not like what happened there either (when you make a bug
> report, the machine prepares a file/version list for
> analysis which is, um, somewhat lengthy).
>
> Instead, you pulled a copy from uupdump. Where is that
> exactly, Russia ? What was in that file ? How did you
> scan it and determine authenticity ? Sure, you pulled it
> into a VM, but is a VM that much of an assurance against
> attack ?
>
> By doing it the uupdump way, you did not see the T&C
> that a real download page would have. Here is an
> announcement, that a *legit* image is available.

And as that turns out, I installed Win11 Pro using that ISO
and it's not even an Insider Edition. By answering the
questions correctly, it accepts a local account.

It wouldn't install on my physical hardware (no TPM, old CPU),
but it did install in VBox 5 stream. It didn't even need
VBox 6.

https://i.postimg.cc/bwMB0dLB/W11-Pro-beta-no-MSA.gif

Paul

Re: W11: 168 hit

<sgm44o$jtt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54211&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54211

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:40:55 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:40 UTC

On 8/30/21 8:52 PM, Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2021-08-29, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Oh you know what, I downloaded the "upgrade" not
>> the "Cumulative". Cumulative it downloading as I
>> write this.
>
> My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to take a look to see just
> how bad this thing was going to be, mainly to see if it's as awful as I'd
> feared. So I downloaded 168 (Pro version) from uupdump and installed in a
> VirtualBox VM. My hardware is not new enough to do an "upgrade" but I'd
> read that it's possible to do a clean install despite this, so I did that
> rather than upgrading a Win10 VM.
>
> Installation went OK, but then it got to the point of logging in, it
> would only permit either using a Microsoft account or a domain account.
> I don't have or want a Microsoft account and do not have a domain
> controller. I figured this might be like Windows 10 where you need
> to be disconnected from the internet to use an ordinary local account,
> so I powered down the VM, set the network interface to "Not attached",
> and rebooted. The VM hung/crashed before getting to the account setup
> screen.
>
> So, thinking something got corrupted when I pulled the plug I reinstalled
> from scratch, leaving the network unattached. The installation starts out
> OK but hangs at "Getting ready", the circling dots stopping.
>
> Unless I'm missing something it looks like even the Pro version isn't going
> to work with a local account. For me that counts as not just one, but three
> strikes against Windows 11. If you really cannot use it with a local account
> I'm out.

The trick is when they ask you to connect to the
Internet, you don't. They still try to trick you
into re-installing it but if you persist, you can
do a local account.

It is pretty much the same nonsense you have to
go through with Windows 10.

This was one of the first things I checked when
installing the W11 ISO