Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Taking ownership

SubjectAuthor
* Taking ownershipphilo
`* Re: Taking ownershipPaul
 `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
  +* Re: Taking ownershipPaul
  |`* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
  | `* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |  `* Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |   `* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |    `* Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |     `* Re: Taking ownershipChar Jackson
  |      `* Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |       `* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |        +* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
  |        |`* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |        | `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
  |        |  `* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |        |   `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
  |        |    `- Re: Taking ownershipT
  |        `* Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |         `* Re: Taking ownershipT
  |          `* Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |           +* Re: Taking ownershipPaul
  |           |`- Re: Taking ownershipCarlos E. R.
  |           `- Re: Taking ownershipT
  `* Re: Taking ownershipT
   `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
    `* Re: Taking ownershipT
     `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
      +* Re: Taking ownershipRene Lamontagne
      |`- Re: Taking ownershipT
      `* Re: Taking ownershipT
       `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
        `* Re: Taking ownershipT
         `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
          `* Re: Taking ownershipT
           +- Re: Taking ownershipnospam
           `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
            `* Re: Taking ownershipT
             `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
              +* Re: Taking ownershipT
              |`* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
              | `* Re: Taking ownershipT
              |  `* Re: Taking ownershipphilo
              |   `* Re: Taking ownershipT
              |    `- Re: Taking ownershipnospam
              `* Re: Taking ownershipStephen Wolstenholme
               `- Re: Taking ownershipT

Pages:12
Taking ownership

<sgdki4$kbe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53977&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53977

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Taking ownership
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:25:53 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:25 UTC

I've done it before and know how to do it but here is one I've never run
into before.

I converted all my machines to SSD and on one of them, I left the SATA
drive in for backup data. The kicker is that I cannot delete the old
Windows directory. It is impossible to take ownership.

Just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to do from Windows...had
to pop the drive in my Linux machine to do it.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgdsll$dhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53978&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53978

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Taking ownership
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:44:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:44 UTC

philo wrote:
> I've done it before and know how to do it but here is one I've never run
> into before.
>

> I converted all my machines to SSD and on one of them, I left the SATA
> drive in for backup data. The kicker is that I cannot delete the old
> Windows directory. It is impossible to take ownership.
>
> Just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to do from Windows...had
> to pop the drive in my Linux machine to do it.

When the drive in question is booted and is the
system drive, C:\Windows.old can be removed by

cleanmgr

which gives you a GUI to work with. It has a
system cleanup button, and that will have a listed
item to remove "previous Windows installation".

You must be careful to not select the

%userprofile%\Downloads

cleanup option on some of the older versions, as
that folder is not really a good candidate for automatic
cleaning.

*******

To aid your ability to clean from Linux, you can do
this from Windows. Again, when the drive in question is
booted and running the machine.

As Administrator:

compact.exe /compactos:query

compact.exe /compactos:never

That removes new-style NTFS compression reparse points
from C:\Windows type folders. There are still a few
of those reparse points sprinkled where compact
cannot reach them. With compactos set to "never"
on a desktop, it makes Linux cleaning operations
a bit easier. You have to be more careful with
tablets with soldered-down 32GB flash storage, as
such devices may run out of room if you decompress
a few things.

*******

Takeown works best for fixing F:\users\philo and
is a less good choice for smashing things in
F:\Windows or F:\Windows.old. In particular, I've
read somewhere that it's not particularly a good
idea to recursively run Takeown over the entire
C: drive from top to bottom. It might seem like
fun at the time, but it could also cause "endless
permission problems" later, where everything you
do is loused up.

You can record permissions and ownership into a file
and compare the file contents to what the Properties : Security
tab shows. That will at least show you that multiple
SIDs own your personal files, and this is TakeOwn
being applied automatically on your behalf as
a member of Administrator-group.

cd /d %userprofile\Downloads

icacls c:\ /save "C_perms.txt" /t /c > "C_errors.txt" 2>&1

notepad C_Perms.txt <=== permissions
notepad C_errors.txt <=== cannot descend 62 places in file system

Paul

Re: Taking ownership

<sgdv99$ukn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53979&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53979

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:28:56 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 18:28 UTC

On 8/28/2021 12:44 PM, Paul wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> I've done it before and know how to do it but here is one I've never
>> run into before.
>>

>> I converted all my machines to SSD and on one of them, I left the SATA
>> drive in for backup data.  The kicker is that I cannot delete the old
>> Windows directory. It is impossible to take ownership.
>>
>> Just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to do from Windows...had
>> to pop the drive in my Linux machine to do it.
>
> When the drive in question is booted and is the
> system drive, C:\Windows.old can be removed by
>
>    cleanmgr
>
> which gives you a GUI to work with. It has a
> system cleanup button, and that will have a listed
> item to remove "previous Windows installation".
>
> You must be careful to not select the
>
>    %userprofile%\Downloads
>
> cleanup option on some of the older versions, as
> that folder is not really a good candidate for automatic
> cleaning.
>
> *******
>
> To aid your ability to clean from Linux, you can do
> this from Windows. Again, when the drive in question is
> booted and running the machine.
>
> As Administrator:
>
>    compact.exe /compactos:query
>
>    compact.exe /compactos:never
>
> That removes new-style NTFS compression reparse points
> from C:\Windows type folders. There are still a few
> of those reparse points sprinkled where compact
> cannot reach them. With compactos set to "never"
> on a desktop, it makes Linux cleaning operations
> a bit easier. You have to be more careful with
> tablets with soldered-down 32GB flash storage, as
> such devices may run out of room if you decompress
> a few things.
>
> *******
>
> Takeown works best for fixing F:\users\philo and
> is a less good choice for smashing things in
> F:\Windows or F:\Windows.old. In particular, I've
> read somewhere that it's not particularly a good
> idea to recursively run Takeown over the entire
> C: drive from top to bottom. It might seem like
> fun at the time, but it could also cause "endless
> permission problems" later, where everything you
> do is loused up.
>
> You can record permissions and ownership into a file
> and compare the file contents to what the Properties : Security
> tab shows. That will at least show you that multiple
> SIDs own your personal files, and this is TakeOwn
> being applied automatically on your behalf as
> a member of Administrator-group.
>
> cd /d %userprofile\Downloads
>
> icacls c:\ /save "C_perms.txt" /t /c > "C_errors.txt" 2>&1
>
> notepad C_Perms.txt      <=== permissions
> notepad C_errors.txt     <=== cannot descend 62 places in file system
>
>    Paul

It was not Windows.old

It was the "Windows" folder that was on the data drive

There was no way I could take ownership from windows.

From Linux it was a simple operation

Re: Taking ownership

<sge294$jbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53980

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:20:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:20 UTC

philo wrote:
> On 8/28/2021 12:44 PM, Paul wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>> I've done it before and know how to do it but here is one I've never
>>> run into before.
>>>

>>> I converted all my machines to SSD and on one of them, I left the
>>> SATA drive in for backup data. The kicker is that I cannot delete
>>> the old Windows directory. It is impossible to take ownership.
>>>
>>> Just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to do from
>>> Windows...had to pop the drive in my Linux machine to do it.
>>
>> When the drive in question is booted and is the
>> system drive, C:\Windows.old can be removed by
>>
>> cleanmgr
>>
>> which gives you a GUI to work with. It has a
>> system cleanup button, and that will have a listed
>> item to remove "previous Windows installation".
>>
>> You must be careful to not select the
>>
>> %userprofile%\Downloads
>>
>> cleanup option on some of the older versions, as
>> that folder is not really a good candidate for automatic
>> cleaning.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> To aid your ability to clean from Linux, you can do
>> this from Windows. Again, when the drive in question is
>> booted and running the machine.
>>
>> As Administrator:
>>
>> compact.exe /compactos:query
>>
>> compact.exe /compactos:never
>>
>> That removes new-style NTFS compression reparse points
>> from C:\Windows type folders. There are still a few
>> of those reparse points sprinkled where compact
>> cannot reach them. With compactos set to "never"
>> on a desktop, it makes Linux cleaning operations
>> a bit easier. You have to be more careful with
>> tablets with soldered-down 32GB flash storage, as
>> such devices may run out of room if you decompress
>> a few things.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> Takeown works best for fixing F:\users\philo and
>> is a less good choice for smashing things in
>> F:\Windows or F:\Windows.old. In particular, I've
>> read somewhere that it's not particularly a good
>> idea to recursively run Takeown over the entire
>> C: drive from top to bottom. It might seem like
>> fun at the time, but it could also cause "endless
>> permission problems" later, where everything you
>> do is loused up.
>>
>> You can record permissions and ownership into a file
>> and compare the file contents to what the Properties : Security
>> tab shows. That will at least show you that multiple
>> SIDs own your personal files, and this is TakeOwn
>> being applied automatically on your behalf as
>> a member of Administrator-group.
>>
>> cd /d %userprofile\Downloads
>>
>> icacls c:\ /save "C_perms.txt" /t /c > "C_errors.txt" 2>&1
>>
>> notepad C_Perms.txt <=== permissions
>> notepad C_errors.txt <=== cannot descend 62 places in file system
>>
>> Paul
>

> It was not Windows.old
>
> It was the "Windows" folder that was on the data drive
>
> There was no way I could take ownership from windows.
>
> From Linux it was a simple operation

Formatting a partition will quickly remove the files.

Paul

Re: Taking ownership

<37315fd45a0a5b75bb153b7124a16c37@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53981&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53981

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:32:39 +0000
 by: philo - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:32 UTC

Since I had the data backed up...
I probably should have done so.

With another drive I used diskpart "clean" command to totally blank out a drive that had partitions that disk management wouldn't touch.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgec44$1o4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53983&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53983

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:08:02 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:08 UTC

On 8/28/21 12:32 PM, philo wrote:
> Since I had the data backed up...
> I probably should have done so.
>
> With another drive I used diskpart "clean" command to totally blank out
> a drive that had partitions that disk management wouldn't touch.

Hi Philo,

Be REAL CAREFUL if you do the following.

To complete blank an entire drive and erase everything,
from a Linux Live USB, I use

# dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero /dev/sdxx

where xx is the drive

I use gparted to identify sdxx.

I use Live USB's to avoid having to remove a drive
and put it somewhere else to work on.

-T

Re: Taking ownership

<sgec6o$1o4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53984&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53984

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:09:28 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:09 UTC

On 8/28/21 11:28 AM, philo wrote:
> From Linux it was a simple operation

Ya, no fooling.

When I come across such crap, I immediate go to
a Linux Live USB and make short work of the
stupidity. I don't waste my time fooling with
Windows

Re: Taking ownership

<sgee77$m1r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53987&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53987

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:43:50 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:43 UTC

On 8/28/2021 5:09 PM, T wrote:
> On 8/28/21 11:28 AM, philo wrote:
>> From Linux it was a simple operation
>
> Ya, no fooling.
>
> When I come across such crap, I immediate go to
> a Linux Live USB and make short work of the
> stupidity.  I don't waste my time fooling with
> Windows

No kidding. I have a Linux machine in my workshop...the case pops open
in two seconds and I can easily put in another drive.

I had a 3TB drive in my windows machine setup originally as MBR, thus
two partitions. Since all was backed up I decided to see what Gparted
could do.

Easily deleted the boot and UEFI partitions and 2nd partition.
Then grew the 3TB partition over to the right to make one 2.73 TB
partition. It did not take too long.

I should have stopped there, but decided to claim the tiny boot
partition moving to the left. That took all night. LOL

At least I learned quite a bit

Re: Taking ownership

<sgehj3$u9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53991&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53991

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:41:23 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:41 UTC

On 8/28/21 3:43 PM, philo wrote:
> On 8/28/2021 5:09 PM, T wrote:
>> On 8/28/21 11:28 AM, philo wrote:
>>> From Linux it was a simple operation
>>
>> Ya, no fooling.
>>
>> When I come across such crap, I immediate go to
>> a Linux Live USB and make short work of the
>> stupidity.  I don't waste my time fooling with
>> Windows
>>

> No kidding. I have a Linux machine in my workshop...the case pops open
> in two seconds and I can easily put in another drive.
>
> I had a 3TB drive in my windows machine setup originally as MBR, thus
> two partitions.  Since all was backed up I decided to see what Gparted
> could do.
>
> Easily deleted the boot and UEFI partitions and 2nd partition.
> Then grew the 3TB partition over to the right to make one  2.73 TB
> partition. It did not take too long.
>
> I should have stopped there, but decided to claim the tiny boot
> partition moving to the left. That took all night. LOL
>
> At least I learned quite a bit

Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.

I try to do everything GPT now-a-days. But I have to
carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
MBR so I can use it with freaking Apples

Re: Taking ownership

<sgeia9$2dg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53992&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53992

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 18:53:44 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:53 UTC

On 8/28/2021 6:41 PM, T wrote:
> On 8/28/21 3:43 PM, philo wrote:
>>>
>>> Ya, no fooling.
>>>
>>> When I come across such crap, I immediate go to
>>> a Linux Live USB and make short work of the
>>> stupidity.  I don't waste my time fooling with
>>> Windows
>>>

>> No kidding. I have a Linux machine in my workshop...the case pops open
>> in two seconds and I can easily put in another drive.
>>
>> I had a 3TB drive in my windows machine setup originally as MBR, thus
>> two partitions.  Since all was backed up I decided to see what Gparted
>> could do.
>>
>> Easily deleted the boot and UEFI partitions and 2nd partition.
>> Then grew the 3TB partition over to the right to make one  2.73 TB
>> partition. It did not take too long.
>>
>> I should have stopped there, but decided to claim the tiny boot
>> partition moving to the left. That took all night. LOL
>>
>> At least I learned quite a bit
>

> Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.
>
> I try to do everything GPT now-a-days.   But I have to
> carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
> MBR so I can use it  with freaking Apples

Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a bit
behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD

Re: Taking ownership

<0o0rvhxq1k.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53993&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53993

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:25:04 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:25 UTC

On 29/08/2021 00.08, T wrote:
> Be REAL CAREFUL if you do the following.
>
> To complete blank an entire drive and erase everything,
> from a Linux Live USB, I use
>
>     # dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero /dev/sdxx
>
> where xx is the drive
>
> I use gparted to identify sdxx.

faster:

lsblk --output
NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Taking ownership

<ip05qmFo8vaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53994&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53994

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:22:31 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 01:22 UTC

On 2021-08-28 6:53 p.m., philo wrote:
> On 8/28/2021 6:41 PM, T wrote:

>>> No kidding. I have a Linux machine in my workshop...the case pops
>>> open in two seconds and I can easily put in another drive.
>>>
>>> I had a 3TB drive in my windows machine setup originally as MBR, thus
>>> two partitions.  Since all was backed up I decided to see what
>>> Gparted could do.
>>>
>>> Easily deleted the boot and UEFI partitions and 2nd partition.
>>> Then grew the 3TB partition over to the right to make one  2.73 TB
>>> partition. It did not take too long.
>>>
>>> I should have stopped there, but decided to claim the tiny boot
>>> partition moving to the left. That took all night. LOL
>>>
>>> At least I learned quite a bit
>>

>> Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.
>>
>> I try to do everything GPT now-a-days.   But I have to
>> carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
>> MBR so I can use it  with freaking Apples
>>

> Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a bit
> behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD

And if you really want to burn rubber go *NVME* if your motherboard has
M.2 sockets.

Rene

Re: Taking ownership

<sgf294$jf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54000&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54000

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:26:11 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:26 UTC

On 8/28/21 5:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 00.08, T wrote:
>> Be REAL CAREFUL if you do the following.
>>
>> To complete blank an entire drive and erase everything,
>> from a Linux Live USB, I use
>>
>>     # dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero /dev/sdxx
>>
>> where xx is the drive
>>
>> I use gparted to identify sdxx.
>
> faster:
>
> lsblk --output
> NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT

I recommend gparted for others as it is accurate and simple.

What I do personally is

$ drive unplugged
$ ls -al /dev/sd*
$ drive inserted
$ ls -al /dev/sd*

Then identify the new guy

Re: Taking ownership

<sgf2ap$jf1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54001&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54001

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:27:05 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:27 UTC

On 8/28/21 4:53 PM, philo wrote:
> On 8/28/2021 6:41 PM, T wrote:

>>> No kidding. I have a Linux machine in my workshop...the case pops
>>> open in two seconds and I can easily put in another drive.
>>>
>>> I had a 3TB drive in my windows machine setup originally as MBR, thus
>>> two partitions.  Since all was backed up I decided to see what
>>> Gparted could do.
>>>
>>> Easily deleted the boot and UEFI partitions and 2nd partition.
>>> Then grew the 3TB partition over to the right to make one  2.73 TB
>>> partition. It did not take too long.
>>>
>>> I should have stopped there, but decided to claim the tiny boot
>>> partition moving to the left. That took all night. LOL
>>>
>>> At least I learned quite a bit
>>

>> Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.
>>
>> I try to do everything GPT now-a-days.   But I have to
>> carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
>> MBR so I can use it  with freaking Apples
>>

> Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a bit
> behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD

Use Samsung SSD's or you will be in for a lot of bricking.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgf2bf$jf1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54002&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54002

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:27:27 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:27 UTC

On 8/28/21 6:22 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-28 6:53 p.m., philo wrote:

>>> Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.
>>>
>>> I try to do everything GPT now-a-days.   But I have to
>>> carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
>>> MBR so I can use it  with freaking Apples
>>>

>> Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a bit
>> behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD
>
> And if you really want to burn rubber go *NVME* if your motherboard has
> M.2 sockets.
>
> Rene

1+++++++++++++

Re: Taking ownership

<sgfs4s$c27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54004&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54004

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 06:47:39 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:47 UTC

On 8/28/2021 11:27 PM, T wrote:
> On 8/28/21 4:53 PM, philo wrote:

>>> Problem is that doing such is fun and it gets addictive.
>>>
>>> I try to do everything GPT now-a-days.   But I have to
>>> carry around an SATA SSD in a USB carrier formatted with
>>> MBR so I can use it  with freaking Apples
>>>

>> Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a bit
>> behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD
>
> Use Samsung SSD's or you will be in for a lot of bricking.

Most all here are Samsung will also be looking into NVMe

Re: Taking ownership

<1c9svhxe1s.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54005&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54005

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:58:25 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:58 UTC

On 29/08/2021 06.26, T wrote:
> On 8/28/21 5:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 29/08/2021 00.08, T wrote:
>>> Be REAL CAREFUL if you do the following.
>>>
>>> To complete blank an entire drive and erase everything,
>>> from a Linux Live USB, I use
>>>
>>>      # dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero /dev/sdxx
>>>
>>> where xx is the drive
>>>
>>> I use gparted to identify sdxx.
>>
>> faster:
>>
>> lsblk --output
>> NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT
>>

> I recommend gparted for others as it is accurate and simple.

The above is very accurate and simple :-)

Obviously I don't remember the concoction, I simply paste from my file
of recipes.

> What I do personally is
>
>    $ drive unplugged
>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>    $ drive inserted
>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>
> Then identify the new guy

just try my line, you will see all the information it gives. I can not
paste here an example, because of line wrap.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Taking ownership

<mdenigl6o7er5i50ij441754vrla31chtv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54019&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54019

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:46:59 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 16:46 UTC

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:58:25 +0200, "Carlos E. R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 29/08/2021 06.26, T wrote:

>>> faster:
>>>
>>> lsblk --output
>>> NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT
>>>

>> I recommend gparted for others as it is accurate and simple.
>
>The above is very accurate and simple :-)
>
>Obviously I don't remember the concoction, I simply paste from my file
>of recipes.
>

>> What I do personally is
>>
>>    $ drive unplugged
>>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>>    $ drive inserted
>>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>>
>> Then identify the new guy
>>

>just try my line, you will see all the information it gives. I can not
>paste here an example, because of line wrap.

I recommend something like https://pastebin.com/ where you can put long
lines or formatted text, then just include the link here in your post.

Re: Taking ownership

<9jusvhxj02.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54021&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54021

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:00:41 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:00 UTC

On 29/08/2021 18.46, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:58:25 +0200, "Carlos E. R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> I recommend gparted for others as it is accurate and simple.
>>
>> The above is very accurate and simple :-)
>>
>> Obviously I don't remember the concoction, I simply paste from my file
>> of recipes.
>>

>>> What I do personally is
>>>
>>>    $ drive unplugged
>>>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>>>    $ drive inserted
>>>    $ ls -al /dev/sd*
>>>
>>> Then identify the new guy
>>>

>> just try my line, you will see all the information it gives. I can not
>> paste here an example, because of line wrap.
>
> I recommend something like https://pastebin.com/ where you can put long
> lines or formatted text, then just include the link here in your post.

Yes, I know, but I do not feel it is important enough to bother this
time :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh01r$mau$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54041&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54041

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:00:26 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:00 UTC

On 8/29/21 11:00 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 18.46, Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:58:25 +0200, "Carlos E. R."
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> The above is very accurate and simple :-)
>>>
>>> Obviously I don't remember the concoction, I simply paste from my file
>>> of recipes.

>>> just try my line, you will see all the information it gives. I can not
>>> paste here an example, because of line wrap.

$ lsblk --output
lsblk: option '--output' requires an argument
Try 'lsblk --help' for more information.

Hmmmmm....

>> I recommend something like https://pastebin.com/ where you can put long
>> lines or formatted text, then just include the link here in your post.

I do adore pastebin for programming code!

> Yes, I know, but I do not feel it is important enough to bother this
> time :-)

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh067$pnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54042&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54042

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:02:47 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:02 UTC

On 8/29/2021 5:00 PM, T wrote:
> On 8/29/21 11:00 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 29/08/2021 18.46, Char Jackson wrote:

> $ lsblk --output
> lsblk: option '--output' requires an argument
> Try 'lsblk --help' for more information.
>
> Hmmmmm....
>

>>> I recommend something like https://pastebin.com/ where you can put long
>>> lines or formatted text, then just include the link here in your post.
>
> I do adore pastebin for programming code!
>

>> Yes, I know, but I do not feel it is important enough to bother this
>> time :-)

Latest thing.
I could not even copy a file to the root directory.

Deleted the drive and recreated in all of ten seconds.

Now restoring data.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh08i$qtg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54043&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54043

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:04:00 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:04 UTC

On 8/29/21 4:47 AM, philo wrote:

>>> Since I do so little computer repair work now days...I got quite a
>>> bit behind. GPT is the way to go and so is SSD
>>
>> Use Samsung SSD's or you will be in for a lot of bricking.
>>

> Most all here are Samsung    will also be looking into NVMe

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/

I have had to take it in the shorts from "cheaper"
vendors. I hate having to work hours for free
trying to recover things.

And besides, if your customer were not funded, they
would not come to you. They just guy another piece
of s---- from ... (And somehow figure a way to
blame it on you.)

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh0ac$qtg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54044&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54044

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:05:00 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:05 UTC

On 8/29/21 3:02 PM, philo wrote:

> Latest thing.
> I could not even copy a file to the root directory.
>
> Deleted the drive and recreated in all of ten seconds.
>
> Now restoring data.

Windows does that. Impressive workaround.

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh0hj$s3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54045&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54045

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:08:52 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:08 UTC

On 8/29/2021 5:05 PM, T wrote:
> On 8/29/21 3:02 PM, philo wrote:
>

>> Latest thing.
>> I could not even copy a file to the root directory.
>>
>> Deleted the drive and recreated in all of ten seconds.
>>
>> Now restoring data.
>
> Windows does that.  Impressive workaround.

What's weird is that on my wife's machine, the backup drive from her old
machine behaved a bit better

Re: Taking ownership

<sgh0kj$s3a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54046&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54046

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:10:27 -0500
 by: philo - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:10 UTC

On 8/29/2021 5:04 PM, T wrote:

>>> Use Samsung SSD's or you will be in for a lot of bricking.
>>>

>> Most all here are Samsung    will also be looking into NVMe
>

> https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/
>
> I have had to take it in the shorts from "cheaper"
> vendors.  I hate having to work hours for free
> trying to recover things.
>
> And besides, if your customer were not funded, they
> would not come to you.  They just guy another piece
> of s---- from ...   (And somehow figure a way to
> blame it on you.)

I do very few computer repairs anymore.

Went from three a week to about three a year.

I am going to have to learn smartphone repair.

Guess I will have to collect old junkers to practice on