"Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong." -- Blair Houghton

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Problems with RDP

SubjectAuthor
* Problems with RDPFokke Nauta
+* Re: Problems with RDPVanguardLH
|+- Re: Problems with RDPFokke Nauta
|`- Re: Problems with RDPT
+* Re: Problems with RDPT
|`- Re: Problems with RDPFokke Nauta
`* Re: Problems with RDPT
 `- Re: Problems with RDPFokke Nauta

1
Problems with RDP

<ioretpFr2icU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53927&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53927

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Problems with RDP
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 08:25:07 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:25 UTC

Hi all,

We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows 10
Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's. With 2
of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message: "You have
been disconnected because another connection was made to the remote
computer." And then the connection breaks.
What can be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Problems with RDP

<ljkeeywtk0tu.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53930&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53930

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Problems with RDP
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 02:49:16 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 07:49 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows
> 10 Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's.
> With 2 of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message:
> "You have been disconnected because another connection was made to
> the remote computer." And then the connection breaks. What can be
> wrong?

As I recall, you get just 2 concurrent RDP connections. With Terminal
Server, you get more. If a user does not logoff, their session remains
active, and counts against the quota of max concurrent sessions. A
session could freeze, the user closes the window(s) and leaves, but the
session is still active. You get a lot of users that just leave at the
end of the workday instead of logging out of their RD session.

It's been many years (probably a decade) since I last used RDP. There
was some admin-level tool you used to kill the still-alive sessions.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/kill-remote-desktop-sessions-55424.html
https://www.msnoob.com/how-to-remotely-force-kill-a-remote-desktop-session.html

Back when I had to kill RDP sessions, I loaded the Remoted Desktop
Services Manager as an admin (I think that was "mstsc /admin"), selected
the console at the remote host, and disconnect the session(s) to it.

Re: Problems with RDP

<iornd0Fskm0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53932&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53932

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:49:45 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 08:49 UTC

On 27/08/2021 09:49, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows
>> 10 Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's.
>> With 2 of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message:
>> "You have been disconnected because another connection was made to
>> the remote computer." And then the connection breaks. What can be
>> wrong?
>
> As I recall, you get just 2 concurrent RDP connections. With Terminal
> Server, you get more. If a user does not logoff, their session remains
> active, and counts against the quota of max concurrent sessions. A
> session could freeze, the user closes the window(s) and leaves, but the
> session is still active. You get a lot of users that just leave at the
> end of the workday instead of logging out of their RD session.

Thanks. Both pc's where it does not work, are automatically logged in
after starting up. So that's the reason.

> It's been many years (probably a decade) since I last used RDP. There
> was some admin-level tool you used to kill the still-alive sessions.

I haven't been using RDP for a long time either. I used VNC Viewer for a
long time. Recently, after a reset of my router, it does not work
anymore and I couldn't find what was the cause. So I went back to RDP.
I can start with RDPWrap or find another program to achieve remote control.

> https://smallbusiness.chron.com/kill-remote-desktop-sessions-55424.html
> https://www.msnoob.com/how-to-remotely-force-kill-a-remote-desktop-session.html

I think neither of the links above are a proper solution. I'll have to
look for another way.

> Back when I had to kill RDP sessions, I loaded the Remoted Desktop
> Services Manager as an admin (I think that was "mstsc /admin"), selected
> the console at the remote host, and disconnect the session(s) to it.

This is too much of a hassle.
I really have to look for a different solution.
Thanks anyway.

Fokke

Re: Problems with RDP

<sgbirk$jhu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53960&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53960

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 13:44:35 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:44 UTC

On 8/26/21 11:25 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows 10
> Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's. With 2
> of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message: "You have
> been disconnected because another connection was made to the remote
> computer." And then the connection breaks.
> What can be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fokke Nauta

Hi Fokke,

I see what I think is happening to you a lot.
Maybe not.

What I see is when someone sits down at the remote
server and logs in and kicks you off. Then
comedy ensues: the local user remotes back in
and kick the guy off at the remote end and back
and forth, neither realizing what is occurring.
It only ends when one get frustrated or until
one calls the other on the phone and they negotiate
things. Or they call me.

The same thing will happen if two clients are
trying to log into the same desktop server.
Both will keep kicking each other off.

Desktop RDP server IS NOT MULTIUSER. Only Windows
Server RDP is multiuser. (Linux xrdp server
is multiuser and does not care if you are
configured as a server, a desktop, or both.)

RDP server from a desktop can only handle one
connection at a time. RDP client is suppose
(watch the weasel word) to handle multiple
connections to multiple servers.

As a test fall back, you can always install
wfreerdp for the client side:

https://cloudbase.it/freerdp-for-windows-nightly-builds/

Here are the command line options:

https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/CommandLineInterface

-T

Re: Problems with RDP

<sgbjcb$teu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53961&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53961

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 13:53:29 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:53 UTC

On 8/27/21 12:49 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Back when I had to kill RDP sessions, I loaded the Remoted Desktop
> Services Manager

Back when I was administering RDP for Windows servers,
the admin tool pissed me off to no end. They were
crash city, especially thre sharing utility where yo could see what the
user was seeing. NEVER, NEVER, worked right.
And you had to reboot to fix them -- pissing off all
the folks using the server who took it out on me.

For the last ten years or so, I have been removed
server Windows Servers (big "S") and just did file sharing
from a desktop. And most small business programs that serve
will work off a desktop. The increase in reliability
and cost savings to the customer is astronomical.
(If they let me, I configure their desktop with RAID 1.)
Windows Server is such a piece of ....

There is a few guys around these parts that will
put an exchange server (speaking of pieces of s***)
in your bathtub if you are not careful. Put two
of these guys on g-suite. YUGE difference in
reliability and cost.

Re: Problems with RDP

<sgbl6c$f2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53962&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53962

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:24:26 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:24 UTC

On 8/26/21 11:25 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows 10
> Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's. With 2
> of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message: "You have
> been disconnected because another connection was made to the remote
> computer." And then the connection breaks.
> What can be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fokke Nauta

Hi Fokke,

Are you doing this in the same local area network?
Or are you logging into these computers from a
Wide Area Connection (the Internet).

If a wide area network, there is a tweak you
have to do on your clients.

-T

Re: Problems with RDP

<ioufegFe87tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53971&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53971

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:52:24 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:52 UTC

On 27/08/2021 23:24, T wrote:
> On 8/26/21 11:25 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows
>> 10 Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's.
>> With 2 of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message:
>> "You have been disconnected because another connection was made to the
>> remote computer." And then the connection breaks.
>> What can be wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>>

> Hi Fokke,
>
> Are you doing this in the same local area network?
> Or are you logging into these computers from a
> Wide Area Connection (the Internet).
>
> If a wide area network, there is a tweak you
> have to do on your clients.
>
> -T

Hi,

Yes, it's all in a local network: 192.168.1.xxx.

I have been using RealVCN for these remote operations for a long time,
but since a reset of my router this does not work anymore. So that's why
I went back to RDP.

Fokke

Re: Problems with RDP

<ioufi3Fe87tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53972&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53972

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:54:19 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:54 UTC

On 27/08/2021 22:44, T wrote:
> On 8/26/21 11:25 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have quite some pc's in our local network. All of them are Windows
>> 10 Pro x64. From my pc I created RDP connections to the other pc's.
>> With 2 of them it works fine. With 2 other pc's I get the message:
>> "You have been disconnected because another connection was made to the
>> remote computer." And then the connection breaks.
>> What can be wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>>

> Hi Fokke,
>
> I see what I think is happening to you a lot.
> Maybe not.
>
> What I see is when someone sits down at the remote
> server and logs in and kicks you off.  Then
> comedy ensues: the local user remotes back in
> and kick the guy off at the remote end and back
> and forth, neither realizing what is occurring.
> It only ends when one get frustrated or until
> one calls the other on the phone and they negotiate
> things.  Or they call me.
>
> The same thing will happen if two clients are
> trying to log into the same desktop server.
> Both will keep kicking each other off.
>
> Desktop RDP server IS NOT MULTIUSER.  Only Windows
> Server RDP is multiuser.  (Linux xrdp server
> is multiuser and does not care if you are
> configured as a server, a desktop, or both.)
>
> RDP server from a desktop can only handle one
> connection at a time.   RDP client is suppose
> (watch the weasel word) to handle multiple
> connections to multiple servers.
>
> As a test fall back, you can always install
> wfreerdp for the client side:
>
> https://cloudbase.it/freerdp-for-windows-nightly-builds/
>
> Here are the command line options:
>
> https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/CommandLineInterface
>
> -T

Thanks!

One of the reasons may be that some pc's have been logged in already.
They have an auto login when they boot up.

Fokke