We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Can you explain this?

SubjectAuthor
* Can you explain this?Jim S
+* Re: Can you explain this?Paul
|`- Re: Can you explain this?Jim S
`* Re: Can you explain this?VanguardLH
 +- Re: Can you explain this?Andy Burns
 `* Re: Can you explain this?Jim S
  +- Re: Can you explain this?Paul
  +* Re: Can you explain this?Andy Burns
  |`- Re: Can you explain this?Andy Burns
  `- Re: Can you explain this?VanguardLH

1
Can you explain this?

<i5ebxtbzsuxy.6ub4jn6lsaqx.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53826&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53826

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Can you explain this?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:28:31 +0100
 by: Jim S - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 16:28 UTC

If I at this moment go to Start>Power, I am given the options Sleep/'Update
& Shut down'/Shut Down/'Update and Restart'/Restart, in that order.
Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work fine. Update and Shut Down goes srtaight
to Update and Restart without offering to Shut Down. Update and Restart
goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then tells me 'I can't update so
I an going to put all those files back where they were'.
However, if I put the machine to sleep overnight, when I wake it in the
morning, it seems to have done some form of restart - I can tell because
the browser is at 'restore down' size AND the Power options are only
Sleep/Shut Down/Restart. The during the day the Update & Shutdown/Update &
Restart options reappear.
Apart from all this it works fine.
Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)
--
Jim S

Re: Can you explain this?

<sg5vvv$fc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53839&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53839

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Can you explain this?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:51:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:51 UTC

Jim S wrote:
> If I at this moment go to Start>Power, I am given the options Sleep/'Update
> & Shut down'/Shut Down/'Update and Restart'/Restart, in that order.
> Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work fine. Update and Shut Down goes srtaight
> to Update and Restart without offering to Shut Down. Update and Restart
> goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then tells me 'I can't update so
> I an going to put all those files back where they were'.
> However, if I put the machine to sleep overnight, when I wake it in the
> morning, it seems to have done some form of restart - I can tell because
> the browser is at 'restore down' size AND the Power options are only
> Sleep/Shut Down/Restart. The during the day the Update & Shutdown/Update &
> Restart options reappear.
> Apart from all this it works fine.
> Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)

To start with, you're behind on patches, as
well as OS version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-10-2021-kb5005033-os-builds-19041-1165-19042-1165-and-19043-1165-b4c77d08-435a-4833-b9f7-e092372079a4

KB5005033
OS Builds 19041.1165
19042.1165
19043.1165

That means they are synchronizing the patch numbers
of three OS releases, and those are likely the
currently supported OS releases. I would have expected
them to support two of them, but they are doing
three of them. Your installation is probably also
aggressively trying to prepare itself to automatically
install 19043. This could be why you got it waking from
sleep and messing around. I thought for the most part,
that behavior had stopped (I've had this happen before,
hearing PC fans whir at 4AM or so).

The article further states:

Windows 10 servicing stack update
19041.1161
19042.1161
19043.1161

What that means, is if you tried to manually
install KB5005033, the .msu might put up a
message saying "Not for this OS", which is
a misleading statement. The SSU is what
gates the update being able to install. Thus, you
would install this one first..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5005260-servicing-stack-update-for-windows-10-version-2004-20h2-and-21h1-august-10-2021-ec4c5daa-2cec-4b06-be93-037f150fe3ba

You can go here

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/

then search for, download, and install

kb5005260 SSU for August cumulative
kb5005033 August cumulative

Double click the .msu for each one in turn.

Well, your SoftwareUpdate folder is in
some other state. Being at 985, it's missing
some stuff. The Update History link in Settings,
might list the item that is failing. But Microsoft
just loves inaccurate logs, so we can't
be sure of anything when it comes to what
is recorded in the history. The info there
might not be useful.

*******

You could acquire the 19043 DVD and do a Repair
Install, by running Setup.exe from the DVD while
the OS is booted. C:\Windows becomes C:\Windows.old.
But for that to work, there might still be some
catch with regard to "updates in flight", which
are not resolving properly. I don't know if
there is an iron-clad guarantee that running
Setup.exe will always work out.

Googling "Download Windows 10", will find you a link.

MediaCreationTool can create a USB stick or
provide an ISO for making a DVD. Just right
clicking the ISO file (windows.iso) and
selecting "Mount", provides a virtual DVD drive
with no need to burn a DVD blank. For repair
installs, they can be kicked off with nothing
more than the .iso file (4 to 5GB).

The only thing you can't do at the moment, is
pick up a 18363 DVD and Repair Install from that.
You could use a 19041 DVD (and Repair Install to
exactly the same OS). Or you could use 19042 or
19043. You're not allowed to go backwards
when Repair Installing. If you Repair Install using
19043 (current download), then Windows Update
will not need to Upgrade you after your
SoftwareUpdate folder is feeling better.

The execution time is a function of the baggage
in Program Files. If you have a lot of installed
programs, it might take an hour or two for a
Repair Install. Some have taken as long as six
hours, but that can involve "parking behavior"
where the stupid thing is not doing anything.
To get the attention of a parked OS, you can
try unplugging the network cable. They hate that.
And I think I've had a "parked" OS, after
a minute or two of no network cable, get back
to work like it should have in the first place.

While at one time we were deleting the SoftwareUpdate
folder, using various scripts that can help you,
it's also possible it won't help. It's really
a matter of finding a recipe needing "least
assistance and pissing around". And for some
people, they'd rather not mess with the
catalog server.

If you Google for "download Windows 10", that
will point you at MediaCreationTool, get you
a current .iso, right click, "Mount", then
run Setup.exe. Before the Repair Install
kicks off, it will print on the screen
what it proposes to do. It should say
"preserving your user files and Programs".

And most people make a backup *now*, before
heading off with their action plan in hand.
Even though you'd be restoring a "looping" OS,
there is always the possibility of any one
of a number of methods being able to clean
this up. The Repair Install is the lazy guy
way to do it (that means I've used it more
than once). The only time you would not use
it, is if you were in a time crunch. Don't
do it if "you need to be finished with this
in ten minutes", because it's just not going
to cooperate.

mean. You are generally behind at the moment,
so I'm proposing using our general purpose
hammers, to fix it. Plug in the latest
cumulative from the Catalog Server (if you've
done these before, you'll know how). Or
you can use MediaCreationTool, and one way
or another, it'll get you there. But make a
backup of C: , so you have alternatives if
there is further trouble.

You have an update that is failing. And
it's trying, over and over again. You know
this already, and what we need now, is
breaking that loop. Since sooner or later,
19043 is in-coming, you can just install that
and get it over with,

Paul

Re: Can you explain this?

<XnsAD91D1B7EC2B4jimjimXscottcouk@94.23.43.182>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53843&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53843

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:36:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim S - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:36 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:sg5vvv$fc$1@dont-email.me:

> [...]
> way to do it (that means I've used it more
> than once). The only time you would not use
> it, is if you were in a time crunch. Don't
> do it if "you need to be finished with this
> in ten minutes", because it's just not going
> to cooperate.

> mean. You are generally behind at the moment,
> so I'm proposing using our general purpose
> hammers, to fix it. Plug in the latest
> cumulative from the Catalog Server (if you've
> done these before, you'll know how). Or
> you can use MediaCreationTool, and one way
> or another, it'll get you there. But make a
> backup of C: , so you have alternatives if
> there is further trouble.
>
> You have an update that is failing. And
> it's trying, over and over again. You know
> this already, and what we need now, is
> breaking that loop. Since sooner or later,
> 19043 is in-coming, you can just install that

Thanks Paul, but you've gone far beyond my ablity.
Having said that I did the:
kb5005260 SSU for August cumulative
kb5005033 August cumulative
installation and it told me they are already there.

I suspect I'm going to go along with my old garage mechanic friend who
was of the 'If it works - don't fix it school'.
Altho' the fact that he died 'of the drink' does not fill me with
confidence in retrospect.

--
Jim S

Re: Can you explain this?

<14brh4x93d9wb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53844&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53844

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:51:39 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:51 UTC

Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> If I at this moment go to Start>Power, I am given the options
>
> Sleep
> Update & Shut down
> Shut Down
> Update and Restart
> Restart
(modified to be legible)

> Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work fine. Update and Shut Down goes
> srtaight to Update and Restart without offering to Shut Down.

Not all updates can be completeted during a Windows session. Some
files, especially inuse files or critical system files, cannot be
replaced within the current Windows session without hanging it or
causing corruption. Those files get replaced early in the Windows
startup procress, so a [re]start of Windows is required to complete the
update.

You never mentioned what update got applied. Look in the Windows Update
history.

> Updateand Restart goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then tells me
> 'I can't update so I an going to put all those files back where they
> were'.

If an update fails, it does a rollback: remove all newly installed files
and add/changed registry entries, restore or leave all old files and
registry entries.

> However, if I put the machine to sleep overnight, when I wake
> it in the morning, it seems to have done some form of restart

Updating during idle. Check what are your active hours for updating:
Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Change active hours.
Sleeping is not powered off.

> Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)

Because you are on an old version, and because updates can and often do
require a minimal set of prior updates, or a minimal OS version, or
both, newer updates may fail.

You can use Winaero Tweaker to disable Win10 updates. However, if you
do, you'll get an error when trying to load the config screens for
Windows Updates which means you can't see how it is configured.

Re: Can you explain this?

<ionngnF5a74U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53849&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53849

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:29:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:29 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>
>> Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)
>
> Because you are on an old version, and because updates can and often do
> require a minimal set of prior updates, or a minimal OS version, or
> both, newer updates may fail.

Though 2004 isn't so old that it's "left behind" just yet, it will be by
mid-December.

Re: Can you explain this?

<XnsAD91E45424CFBjimjimXscottcouk@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53852&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53852

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:26:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim S - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:26 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:14brh4x93d9wb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> If I at this moment go to Start>Power, I am given the options
>>
>> Sleep
>> Update & Shut down
>> Shut Down
>> Update and Restart
>> Restart
> (modified to be legible)
>>
>> Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work fine. Update and Shut Down goes
>> srtaight to Update and Restart without offering to Shut Down.
>
> Not all updates can be completeted during a Windows session. Some
> files, especially inuse files or critical system files, cannot be
> replaced within the current Windows session without hanging it or
> causing corruption. Those files get replaced early in the Windows
> startup procress, so a [re]start of Windows is required to complete the
> update.
>
> You never mentioned what update got applied. Look in the Windows
Update
> history.
>
>> Updateand Restart goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then tells
me
>> 'I can't update so I an going to put all those files back where they
>> were'.
>
> If an update fails, it does a rollback: remove all newly installed
files
> and add/changed registry entries, restore or leave all old files and
> registry entries.
>
>> However, if I put the machine to sleep overnight, when I wake
>> it in the morning, it seems to have done some form of restart
>
> Updating during idle. Check what are your active hours for updating:
> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Change active hours.
> Sleeping is not powered off.
>
>> Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)
>
> Because you are on an old version, and because updates can and often do
> require a minimal set of prior updates, or a minimal OS version, or
> both, newer updates may fail.
>
> You can use Winaero Tweaker to disable Win10 updates. However, if you
> do, you'll get an error when trying to load the config screens for
> Windows Updates which means you can't see how it is configured.

The error is to do with Feature update to windows 10 20H2
not installing.
--
Jim S

Re: Can you explain this?

<sg6era$uiv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53853&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53853

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 18:05:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 22:05 UTC

Jim S wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:14brh4x93d9wb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> If I at this moment go to Start>Power, I am given the options
>>>
>>> Sleep
>>> Update & Shut down
>>> Shut Down
>>> Update and Restart
>>> Restart
>> (modified to be legible)
>>> Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work fine. Update and Shut Down goes
>>> srtaight to Update and Restart without offering to Shut Down.
>> Not all updates can be completeted during a Windows session. Some
>> files, especially inuse files or critical system files, cannot be
>> replaced within the current Windows session without hanging it or
>> causing corruption. Those files get replaced early in the Windows
>> startup procress, so a [re]start of Windows is required to complete the
>> update.
>>
>> You never mentioned what update got applied. Look in the Windows
> Update
>> history.
>>
>>> Updateand Restart goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then tells
> me
>>> 'I can't update so I an going to put all those files back where they
>>> were'.
>> If an update fails, it does a rollback: remove all newly installed
> files
>> and add/changed registry entries, restore or leave all old files and
>> registry entries.
>>
>>> However, if I put the machine to sleep overnight, when I wake
>>> it in the morning, it seems to have done some form of restart
>> Updating during idle. Check what are your active hours for updating:
>> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Change active hours.
>> Sleeping is not powered off.
>>
>>> Winver 2004 (Build 19041.985)
>> Because you are on an old version, and because updates can and often do
>> require a minimal set of prior updates, or a minimal OS version, or
>> both, newer updates may fail.
>>
>> You can use Winaero Tweaker to disable Win10 updates. However, if you
>> do, you'll get an error when trying to load the config screens for
>> Windows Updates which means you can't see how it is configured.
>>

> The error is to do with Feature update to windows 10 20H2
> not installing.

So it is trying to change the 19041 part.

I wonder why the "winver" is referring to a previous
patch level (.985) as that is the security level. If the
August patch is supposed to be installed already,
that patch level should be higher. Almost like it is
trying to change 19041 and 985 in the same patching
session. (The 1165 could be in a Pending state.)

It should really "digest" one of those, before doing
the other. It doesn't like to run those both at
the same time. Much of the work for a Feature Update
is already done, with the intention of shortening the
interval that the machine is out of commission.

It really looks like Repair Install material now :-)
It is too much of a basket case, for my liking. It's
stuck. The question is "how stuck".

*******

This would be an example of backing out of something
which is in flight. This does not stop any overall
looping behavior, just tries to deal with something
that *might* be half digested. In cases where this
is not appropriate, it'll tell you.

DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions [offline, emerg boot]

DISM /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions [while Win10 running]

Paul

Re: Can you explain this?

<iooohtFb4jpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53861&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53861

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 06:53:00 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 05:53 UTC

Jim S wrote:

> The error is to do with Feature update to windows 10 20H2
> not installing.

I'd just download the latest Media Creation Tool, let it build you a
bootable 20H1 USB stick, and install that over the top of what you have ...

Re: Can you explain this?

<iopiucFg0huU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53872&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53872

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:23:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:23 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Jim S wrote:
>
>> The error is to do with Feature update to windows 10 20H2
>> not installing.
>
> I'd just download the latest Media Creation Tool, let it build you a
> bootable 20H1 USB stick, and install that over the top of what you have ...
^^^^
21H1 doesn't time fly?

Re: Can you explain this?

<1mle442jy3nap$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53873&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#53873

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 09:09:44 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:09 UTC

Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:14brh4x93d9wb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Updateand Restart goes through a sequence of 'updating' and then
>>> tells me 'I can't update so I an going to put all those files back
>>> where they were'.
>
> The error is to do with Feature update to windows 10 20H2 not
> installing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/resolved-issues-windows-10-2004

I remember waiting almost 4 months for the 2004 feature update. They
released it with lots of known issues. The unresolved issues blocked
the install until a month before 20H2 came out. Although listed as
Resolved now in the above article, many were still Unresolved back then.
I didn't much care, because the 20H2 update was trivial, and mostly for
Microsoft to stay on track with their proprosed Spring/Fall feature
update schedule. If the 20H2 kept failing, I'd just wait until 21H1.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-20h2

The issues can halt a feature update, but they seem a bit isoteric in
your case. However, although listed as Resolved, you might want to
review those issues with 20H2 to see if any apply to your setup.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/resolved-issues-windows-10-20h2

I do remember after one of those feature updates (2004, 20H2 most
likely, or 20H1) that my audio stopped working. The wrong output device
had been selected. The update changed it. I had to go into the Sound
properties to reselect the Speakers output.

Because 20H2 was a trivial feature update, the following notes you can
update from 2004 to the 21H1 feature update:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-21h1
"Windows 10, version 21H1 is available for users with devices running
Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004".

I forget at which point, but Microsoft stopped automatically pushing
feature updates. You have to run Windows Updates to see a new feature
update is available, and /choose/ to install it. I would look at the
Resolved issues in 21H1 to see if any might apply to your setup, so you
can get ready in case you get hit.

As always, do a full image backup before installing a feature update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/log-files-that-are-created-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-windows-9ec8aa31-0cc1-a0b2-2d98-e9c6714349b9

That mentions where are the log files for successful and failed feature
update installations. I don't remember a failed feature update giving
you any details on the cause for the failure, so you have to dig into
the log files. Since you indicate a rollback happened, do you have a
C:\Windows.~BT folder?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

The above is probably more technical than you care for, but
troubleshooting a failed update install isn't easy.