No directory.

computers / comp.sys.tandy / Friday! by Ashton Tate

SubjectAuthor
* Friday! by Ashton Tatejames.rice@gmail.com
+* Re: Friday! by Ashton TateGina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky)
|`- Re: Friday! by Ashton TateDaniel
`* Re: Friday! by Ashton TateGina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky)
 `* Re: Friday! by Ashton Tatejames.rice@gmail.com
  `- Re: Friday! by Ashton Tatejames.rice@gmail.com

1
Friday! by Ashton Tate

<3f7320dd-3234-4891-9755-5b9d854ba612n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=52&group=comp.sys.tandy#52

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Friday! by Ashton Tate
From: james.rice@gmail.com (james.rice@gmail.com)
 by: james.rice@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 15:29 UTC

Does anyone have a copy of Friday! by Ashton Tate or know where a copy may be archived?. I purchased a copy when I bought my first Tandy 1000A in 1985. It was dBase II based with a runtime engine and was actually pretty cool for it's time. I ran my inventory for my electrical contracting business on it and even wrote a compiled Basic bridge program to download a text file from a Tandy Model 100 into the Friday database. I carried the Model 100 with me and used the barcode wand to scan parts as I pulled them off the service truck in the field. I was working on a Turbo Pascal rewrite of that program when Windows hit the scene and I stopped coding.

Friday! was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies and I think there were two discs in the box. It was sold back when Tandy was copying IBM with all the cute hard backed binders in the slipcover cases.

James

Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate

<12c08092-8213-4c00-912f-c6cf4ef18d0en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62&group=comp.sys.tandy#62

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate
From: ginaburningsky@gmail.com (Gina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky))
 by: Gina Thomas Patterso - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:30 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:29:05 AM UTC-7, james.rice@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone have a copy of Friday! by Ashton Tate or know where a copy may be archived?. I purchased a copy when I bought my first Tandy 1000A in 1985. It was dBase II based with a runtime engine and was actually pretty cool for it's time. I ran my inventory for my electrical contracting business on it and even wrote a compiled Basic bridge program to download a text file from a Tandy Model 100 into the Friday database. I carried the Model 100 with me and used the barcode wand to scan parts as I pulled them off the service truck in the field. I was working on a Turbo Pascal rewrite of that program when Windows hit the scene and I stopped coding.
>
> Friday! was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies and I think there were two discs in the box. It was sold back when Tandy was copying IBM with all the cute hard backed binders in the slipcover cases.
>
> James

Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate

<70c7ddb4-22c0-4bb8-bd20-68f5e8d61608n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63&group=comp.sys.tandy#63

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ginaburningsky@gmail.com (Gina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky))
 by: Gina Thomas Patterso - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:36 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:29:05 AM UTC-7, james.rice@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone have a copy of Friday! by Ashton Tate or know where a copy may be archived?. I purchased a copy when I bought my first Tandy 1000A in 1985. It was dBase II based with a runtime engine and was actually pretty cool for it's time. I ran my inventory for my electrical contracting business on it and even wrote a compiled Basic bridge program to download a text file from a Tandy Model 100 into the Friday database. I carried the Model 100 with me and used the barcode wand to scan parts as I pulled them off the service truck in the field. I was working on a Turbo Pascal rewrite of that program when Windows hit the scene and I stopped coding.
>
> Friday! was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies and I think there were two discs in the box. It was sold back when Tandy was copying IBM with all the cute hard backed binders in the slipcover cases.
>
> James

Hi James - I believe I have my original Friday! complete with the manual & the whole works. I actually loved that program, I ran a bulk-mail processing business out of my house for 18 years and used that program - it never failed me. My "binder" the discs and manual came in was like a grayish color, the manual slid out and was put together similar to a 3-ring binder set-up, very durable.

At the time I bought that program in 1983, I was pregnant with my 4th child, had not been in business over 3 years and was a woman working at home - all 3 big XXXX's for women in those days. Tandy financed my computers (do you remember how expensive that program was?????) the software and a huge daisy wheel printer that printed so many labels it rocked my dining room, we put our 4 kids through school, my sister's 3 and we all survived.

Are you looking for a copy of the program? Let me know, I'll try to dig it out.

Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate

<4eab8e60-cce6-43e3-aa96-9199b5e7fda0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64&group=comp.sys.tandy#64

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: james.rice@gmail.com (james.rice@gmail.com)
 by: james.rice@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 03:06 UTC

James Rice
10:02 PM (2 minutes ago)
to comp.sys.tandy

Yes! If you could, I would be so grateful. Please let me know what the shipping charges would be or any other expenses. I can pay via Cash.app, Paypal or Venmo.

Oh yes, I remember how expensive software was. I bought my first MS-DOS Tandy 1000A with the extra floppy, CM-4 monitor, DMP-130 printer, Friday!, MS-DOS 2.1T (T for Tandy) and a copy of Star Accounting Partner II and financed it all through Tandy Leasing. A few months later I bought more RAM, the 10MB hard drive and controller card because when I set the Star Accounting package running to sort entries from the two floppy drives I had to start it on Friday afternoon at quitting time and pray the power didn't glitch so it would be finished on Monday morning! The hard drive brought that down to about 45 minutes.

I still have a Tandy 1000HD and a Tandy1000SX. The 1000SX is equipped with a Tandy 20MD hard card, 640K ram, NEC V-20 processor chip, 8087 math coprocessor, 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" floppy drives, Tandy SmartWatch, Tandy mouse card, and a PCT 286-Express 80286 card with a 80287 math coprocessor. I have a CM-11 higher resolution CGA monitor. It's as maxed out as I could take in back in the 1980's. For a while I had installed an Intel EtherNet Express 8/16 card and could actually surf the net with a text browser through my home network. I was using a TCP/IP stack derived from Microsoft's Workgroup Companion for DOS which was designed to let DOS machines share files with systems running Windows for Workgroups 3.1.

I'll send you a private email with address details.

Thank you!

James Rice

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 9:36:58 PM UTC-5, Gina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky) wrote:
> On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:29:05 AM UTC-7, james...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does anyone have a copy of Friday! by Ashton Tate or know where a copy may be archived?. I purchased a copy when I bought my first Tandy 1000A in 1985. It was dBase II based with a runtime engine and was actually pretty cool for it's time. I ran my inventory for my electrical contracting business on it and even wrote a compiled Basic bridge program to download a text file from a Tandy Model 100 into the Friday database. I carried the Model 100 with me and used the barcode wand to scan parts as I pulled them off the service truck in the field. I was working on a Turbo Pascal rewrite of that program when Windows hit the scene and I stopped coding.
> >
> > Friday! was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies and I think there were two discs in the box. It was sold back when Tandy was copying IBM with all the cute hard backed binders in the slipcover cases.
> >
> > James
> Hi James - I believe I have my original Friday! complete with the manual & the whole works. I actually loved that program, I ran a bulk-mail processing business out of my house for 18 years and used that program - it never failed me. My "binder" the discs and manual came in was like a grayish color, the manual slid out and was put together similar to a 3-ring binder set-up, very durable.
>
> At the time I bought that program in 1983, I was pregnant with my 4th child, had not been in business over 3 years and was a woman working at home - all 3 big XXXX's for women in those days. Tandy financed my computers (do you remember how expensive that program was?????) the software and a huge daisy wheel printer that printed so many labels it rocked my dining room, we put our 4 kids through school, my sister's 3 and we all survived.
>
> Are you looking for a copy of the program? Let me know, I'll try to dig it out.

Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate

<b9fb8998-9d2a-4c70-97ea-cf04c8c1e1b5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69&group=comp.sys.tandy#69

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 10:04:14 -0800 (PST)
From: james.rice@gmail.com (james.rice@gmail.com)
 by: james.rice@gmail.com - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 18:04 UTC

Hi Gina,

Did you receive my private email about the copy of Friday!? I wasn't sure if the email address show was a valid address.

James

Re: Friday! by Ashton Tate

<87h6w3fbn6.fsf@sc1f1dan.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72&group=comp.sys.tandy#72

From: me@sc1f1dan.com (Daniel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 07:31:25 +0000
 by: Daniel - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 07:31 UTC

"Gina Thomas Patterson (Ginaburningsky)" <ginaburningsky@gmail.com>
writes:

> On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:29:05 AM UTC-7, james.rice@gmail.com wrote:
>> Does anyone have a copy of Friday! by Ashton Tate or know where a
>> copy may be archived?. I purchased a copy when I bought my first
>> Tandy 1000A in 1985. It was dBase II based with a runtime engine and
>> was actually pretty cool for it's time. I ran my inventory for my
>> electrical contracting business on it and even wrote a compiled
>> Basic bridge program to download a text file from a Tandy Model 100
>> into the Friday database. I carried the Model 100 with me and used
>> the barcode wand to scan parts as I pulled them off the service
>> truck in the field. I was working on a Turbo Pascal rewrite of that
>> program when Windows hit the scene and I stopped coding.
>>
>> Friday! was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies and I think there were
>> two discs in the box. It was sold back when Tandy was copying IBM
>> with all the cute hard backed binders in the slipcover cases.
>>
>> James

Wow what an interesting thread!

Daniel