What the gods would destroy they first submit to an IEEE standards committee.

computers / comp.sys.tandy / Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...Tanner
`* Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...KP KP
 `* Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...Ron Lauzon
  `* Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...Bill Gunshannon
   `* Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...KP KP
    +- Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...Walt Perko
    `- Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...Walt Perko

1
Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<f15dede3-f3ac-4cbb-9dcc-ba193f42d31an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33&group=comp.sys.tandy#33

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...
From: paulakoalaasawd@gmail.com (Tanner)
 by: Tanner - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 07:44 UTC

On Wednesday, March 22, 1989 at 4:08:44 PM UTC-7, Mark Blumenthal wrote:
> [...]
> this demo phone number for WATSON voice-mail products: 1-800-6-WATSON
> Gladly I will share advice/info including my own schematics and programs
> with any voice-synthesis hackers out there.
> Mark Blumenthal
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> att!ihlpb!markb
> 312 979-3676
> (2 attachments)
> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 23:05:51 PST
> From: cmcm...@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis)
> Subject: Text to Speech Chips
> A couple of people have mentioned that they are interested in using
> the text to speech chips that Radio Shack sells. Well it turns out a
> place called RFJ engineering in Florida sells a bare PC board that
> does everything you need. They advertise in Computer Shopper. The
> board has sockets for extra RAM (extended conversion buffer) and your
> own rule exceptions EPROM. I built it and it worked right off. There
> are level shifters for RS-232C operation but I have been using just
> straight TTL serial on my robot. This board makes a great diagnostic
> console on a mobile platform.
>
> -Chuck McManis
> uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis BIX: cmcmanis ARPAnet: cmcm...@sun.com
> These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
> >From sun!pepper!cmcmanis Fri Apr 10 22:56:12 1987 remote from ihnp4
> To: ihlpg!markb
> Subject: Re: Text to Speech
> Mark the following is a followup message I posted to sci.electronics :
> Ok, I mentioned earlier a board that does this, here are the particulars :
> The company is called RFJ Engineering and their phone number is
> (305) 323-9039, their address is P.O. Box 4166, Sanford, FL, 32772.
> They sell a bare board for $24.95 that uses the radio shack (actually
> General Instrument) Text-to-speech and speech synthesis chips. This
> board has an RS-232C port on one side and an amplifier/speaker on the
> other. What ever ascii text goes in one side, comes out the other as
> spoken words. It also has a parallel port input which you could connect
> to a centronics port (with appropriate connectors of course). After
> collecting the parts it took me about an hour to assemble, your mileage
> may vary. I suggest that anyone who builds this *not* use the on board
> 5V regulator, and instead buy a radio shack wall bug power supply that
> supplies +5, +x and -y (where X and Y are greater then 3, these drive the
> RS-232 chips) and hook it up directly.
> Of course I have no financial interest in anyone mentioned, I built one
> I use and it was fairly simple. It cost *a lot* less than $1000. More
> like $50 including snacks and beverages.
> P.S. It does *not* need an EPROM. The EPROM is for 'exceptions' and can be
> left off.
> --
> --Chuck McManis
> uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis BIX: cmcmanis ARPAnet: cmcm...@sun.com
> These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
God damn, 1989.

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<f447cf7d-c4ef-4f40-854a-26d61f72ebdcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34&group=comp.sys.tandy#34

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 07:43:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: jungletrain@outlook.com (KP KP)
 by: KP KP - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:43 UTC

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 12:44:54 AM UTC-7, Tanner wrote:
> [...]
> > collecting the parts it took me about an hour to assemble, your mileage
> > may vary. I suggest that anyone who builds this *not* use the on board
> > 5V regulator, and instead buy a radio shack wall bug power supply that
> > supplies +5, +x and -y (where X and Y are greater then 3, these drive the
> > RS-232 chips) and hook it up directly.
> > Of course I have no financial interest in anyone mentioned, I built one
> > I use and it was fairly simple. It cost *a lot* less than $1000. More
> > like $50 including snacks and beverages.
> > P.S. It does *not* need an EPROM. The EPROM is for 'exceptions' and can be
> > left off.
> > --
> > --Chuck McManis
> > uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis BIX: cmcmanis ARPAnet: cmcm...@sun.com
> > These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
Speech on a Tandy in 89. Alexa's ancestors.

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<1801633253@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35&group=comp.sys.tandy#35

From: Ron.Lauzon@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet (Ron Lauzon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 06:32:46 +1200
 by: Ron Lauzon - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 18:32 UTC

KK> Speech on a Tandy in 89. Alexa's ancestors.

I saw speech on a TRS-80 Model I back in 1978.

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<jmf5b2FmbebU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36&group=comp.sys.tandy#36

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:37:54 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:37 UTC

On 8/20/22 14:32, Ron Lauzon wrote:
> KK> Speech on a Tandy in 89. Alexa's ancestors.
>
> I saw speech on a TRS-80 Model I back in 1978.

Not only output, but input as well.

bill

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<05d2cfb0-109e-4c17-833b-8c156779ad8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37&group=comp.sys.tandy#37

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 09:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jungletrain@outlook.com (KP KP)
 by: KP KP - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:11 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 9:37:57 AM UTC-7, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 8/20/22 14:32, Ron Lauzon wrote:
> > KK> Speech on a Tandy in 89. Alexa's ancestors.
> >
> > I saw speech on a TRS-80 Model I back in 1978.
> >
> Not only output, but input as well.
>
> bill
Legacy.

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<5985dd18-7b24-4e6d-936e-317393470fe3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50&group=comp.sys.tandy#50

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 04:23:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: r4rguy@gmail.com (Walt Perko)
 by: Walt Perko - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:23 UTC

On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 9:11:53 AM UTC-7, KP KP wrote:

> > > I saw speech on a TRS-80 Model I back in 1978.
> > >
> > Not only output, but input as well.
> >
> > bill
> Legacy.

Vintage Altair 8800 Jumping Through a few of the New Hoops;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOF4wjonCKw&ab_channel=WaltPerko

Essentially, I moved some technology for robotics I've been using onto my Altair computers. Any computer with a serial port can do all of that and more. It's pretty easy.

20220613 SagaWATT&HU https://youtu.be/WAI7Ht6b2xw

Re: Building a speech synthesizer for a pc...

<387aa66d-c84e-455a-b337-379633ea0ee1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51&group=comp.sys.tandy#51

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 04:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: r4rguy@gmail.com (Walt Perko)
 by: Walt Perko - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:24 UTC