From: Rockinghorse@amgen.com (Rockinghorse Winner)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Question before Installing BSD for First Time
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 03:42:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rockinghorse Winner - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 03:42 UTC

Hi, I really want to try BSD out. My only computer is a generic laptop with
3 linux distros installed and using grub as boot manager. I have a lot of
free space on the drive (~500 GB). I would like to:

1. Create a partition for BSD
2. Install BSD into this partition, but not let BSD install any boot manager
or otherwise mess with the hdd.
3. Let grub-mkconfig detect the BSD kernel, and boot from the menu.
4. Alternatively boot from the grub cli.

My questions are these:

1. Should I use a particular partition type when creating the partition with
parted or fdisk? What guide shows exactly how to do this?
2. Does the BSD install script allow you to install BSD into a paricular
partition? Is there a good guide to this?
3. Is grub able to detect the BSD system and add it to the menu? What are
the grub cli commands to boot BSD from the grub cli?

Re: Question before Installing BSD for First Time

<ydo7f2xo2x.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=473&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#473

From: wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid (Winston)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Question before Installing BSD for First Time
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:13:26 -0500
 by: Winston - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:13 UTC

Most of your questions I can't answer, but as to partition types...

ISTM that a non-ZFS root partition would be the easiest way to start.

A ZFS root partition (type freebsd-zfs) needs a boot loader capable of
reading ZFS partitions (e.g., gptzfsboot, included with FreeBSD), but
installing that may impact booting your other O/Ses.

You'd still be able to create other ZFS partitions or datasets once
FreeBSD is running, if you wish.
-WBE

Re: Question before Installing BSD for First Time

<20231207114154.4dce652a@happy.dwarf7.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=474&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#474

From: dvoich@aim.com (Vlad Markov)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:41:54 -0500
 by: Vlad Markov - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:41 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:13:26 -0500
Winston <wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid> wrote:

> Most of your questions I can't answer, but as to partition types...
>
> ISTM that a non-ZFS root partition would be the easiest way to start.
>
> A ZFS root partition (type freebsd-zfs) needs a boot loader capable of
> reading ZFS partitions (e.g., gptzfsboot, included with FreeBSD), but
> installing that may impact booting your other O/Ses.
>
> You'd still be able to create other ZFS partitions or datasets once
> FreeBSD is running, if you wish.
> -WBE

Look here:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/

The FreeBSD maintainers believe in documentation, I think your answers are all there.

Re: Question before Installing BSD for First Time

<uktmpd$1etdj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=475&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#475

From: Rockinghorse@amgen.com (Rockinghorse Winner)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:08:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rockinghorse Winner - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:08 UTC

On 2023-12-07, Vlad Markov <dvoich@aim.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:13:26 -0500
> Winston <wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Most of your questions I can't answer, but as to partition types...
>>
>> ISTM that a non-ZFS root partition would be the easiest way to start.
>>
>> A ZFS root partition (type freebsd-zfs) needs a boot loader capable of
>> reading ZFS partitions (e.g., gptzfsboot, included with FreeBSD), but
>> installing that may impact booting your other O/Ses.
>>
>> You'd still be able to create other ZFS partitions or datasets once
>> FreeBSD is running, if you wish.
>> -WBE
>

> Look here:
> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/
>
> The FreeBSD maintainers believe in documentation, I think your answers are all there.

I'll give it a shot. I've looked around and not seen what I'm after, but
will check out that link.