"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

computers / comp.text.tex / ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

SubjectAuthor
* ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
+* Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryDr Eberhard Lisse
|`* Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryRobert Heller
| `- Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
+- Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryPeter Flynn
+* Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryScott Pakin
|`* Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryDr Eberhard Lisse
| `- Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryBernhard Kleine
`- Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorryJean-Côme Charpentier

1
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<shn9a3$11i2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4133&group=comp.text.tex#4133

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:31:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:31 UTC

How often is this a fatal error, i.e. the document is OK and there
really isn't enough capacity, and how often is it the result of an error
in the document?

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<iq90ooFkgc1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4134&group=comp.text.tex#4134

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 15:07:34 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard Lisse - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:07 UTC

I have not encountered that on Linux/Mac (ie more than 25 years) unless there
was a LaTeX syntax issue.

el

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<kOOdnUqtL5hA_aL8nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4135&group=comp.text.tex#4135

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:31:57 -0500
 by: Robert Heller - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:31 UTC

At Mon, 13 Sep 2021 15:07:34 +0200 Dr Eberhard Lisse <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:

> I have not encountered that on Linux/Mac (ie more than 25 years) unless there
> was a LaTeX syntax issue.

I only encountered this way back olden days, generally gnormous documents on
machines with "tiny" amounts of memory with LaTeX systems built with small
limits to conserve memory. Or else with documents that had things like
runaway recursion problems, etc. I believe current versions of LaTeX builds
are fairly generous with the various fixed allocated elements. These fixed
allocated elements are controlled in config files and relate to how the format
files were built -- it is possible to custom build the format files with
larger capacity, if you really need to.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<sho1j6$1unp$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4137&group=comp.text.tex#4137

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:25:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:25 UTC

In article <kOOdnUqtL5hA_aL8nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Robert
Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> writes:

> At Mon, 13 Sep 2021 15:07:34 +0200 Dr Eberhard Lisse <nospam@lisse.NA> wrote:
>

> > I have not encountered that on Linux/Mac (ie more than 25 years) unless there
> > was a LaTeX syntax issue.
>
> I only encountered this way back olden days, generally gnormous documents on
> machines with "tiny" amounts of memory with LaTeX systems built with small
> limits to conserve memory. Or else with documents that had things like
> runaway recursion problems, etc. I believe current versions of LaTeX builds
> are fairly generous with the various fixed allocated elements. These fixed
> allocated elements are controlled in config files and relate to how the format
> files were built -- it is possible to custom build the format files with
> larger capacity, if you really need to.

It turned out to be a syntax issue. Interestingly, the document both
compiled and produced the desired output up until the error. Probably
runaway recursion. I managed to fix it.

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<iq9tdnFptbcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4138&group=comp.text.tex#4138

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 22:16:39 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 21:16 UTC

On 13/09/2021 11:31, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> How often is this a fatal error, i.e. the document is OK and there
> really isn't enough capacity,

IMNSHO, almost never.

> and how often is it the result of an error in the document?

Almost always, in my case.

Peter

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<iqcje7Fba2kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4140&group=comp.text.tex#4140

From: scott+ctt@pakin.org (Scott Pakin)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 15:44:32 -0600
 by: Scott Pakin - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:44 UTC

On 9/13/21 4:31 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> How often is this a fatal error, i.e. the document is OK and there
> really isn't enough capacity, and how often is it the result of an error
> in the document?

Hard to answer. I got the error just three days ago due to there really
not being enough capacity. Probably most of the time, though, it's due
to an error in the document, such as an infinite loop.

-- Scott

P.S. In case you're interested, the lack of capacity was due to a very
complicated TikZ graphic. See
https://github.com/samcarter/TikZbricks/pull/3 for what I was trying to
draw. In my case, LuaLaTeX was already configured with enough capacity
to handle the document even though pdfLaTeX threw a "! TeX capacity
exceeded" error.

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<iqdu7rFitoeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4141&group=comp.text.tex#4141

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:55:07 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard Lisse - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 09:55 UTC

Fascinating edge case.

I would of course just includegraphics it but if one is bored :-)-O

el

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<si1i2g$kif$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4148&group=comp.text.tex#4148

From: bbfk@gmx.net (Bernhard Kleine)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:02:16 +0200
 by: Bernhard Kleine - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 08:02 UTC

Am 15.09.2021 um 11:55 schrieb Dr Eberhard Lisse:
> Fascinating edge case.
>
> I would of course just includegraphics it but if one is bored :-)-O
>
> el
>
> On 14/09/2021 23:44, Scott Pakin wrote:
>> ...]
>> P.S. In case you're interested, the lack of capacity was due to a very
>> complicated TikZ graphic.  See
>> https://github.com/samcarter/TikZbricks/pull/3 for what I was trying
>> to draw.  In my case, LuaLaTeX was already configured with enough
>> capacity to handle the document even though pdfLaTeX threw a "!  TeX
>> capacity exceeded" error.

This type of error gives reason to check the (closing) braces. In the
earlier days I had to adjust tex.conf but that has been maybe 10 years
earlier.
With the use of something like texstudio that error has not happened for
some time.

Kind regards.

Re: ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry

<si1vru$g80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4149&group=comp.text.tex#4149

From: jean-come.charpentier@wanadoo.fr (Jean-Côme Charpentier)
<jean-come.charpentier@wanadoo.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:51:52 +0200
 by: Jean-Côme Charpenti - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:51 UTC

Le 13/09/2021 à 12:31, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) a écrit :
> How often is this a fatal error, i.e. the document is OK and there
> really isn't enough capacity, and how often is it the result of an error
> in the document?

When I demand some hard calculation to TeX (i.e multiplicate two
operands with 10000 digits)
I've got this fatal error a 25th december a long time ago when I want
to post a card in fr.comp.text.tex with a Chrismas tree in PostScript
with *many* flashing stars and flashing tinsels... very cute :-)

Jean-Côme Charpentier