Per buck you get more computing action with the small computer. -- R. W. Hamming

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

SubjectAuthor
* Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Jimmy Johnson
`* Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Jimmy Johnson
 +* Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Rinaldi
 |+- Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Aragorn
 |`* Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Jimmy Johnson
 | `* Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.King Beowulf
 |  `- Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Jimmy Johnson
 `- Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.Jimmy Johnson

1
Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sa9urv$gn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=410&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#410

From: jimmy@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:19:41 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:19 UTC

Current kde5, during startup splash screen I'm seeing a box flashing,
it's mosaic and showing my desktop wallpaper, my widgets and icons in a
mosaic fashion, wish I had a screen shot, it's kind of cute. It's on
both of my current installs and only on this amd system using a legacy
nvidia gpu. Anybody else seeing this or has a clue what may be causing it.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sb0b55$q5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=415&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#415

From: jimmy@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:04:19 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:04 UTC

On 6/15/21 3:19 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Current kde5, during startup splash screen I'm seeing a box flashing,
> it's mosaic and showing my desktop wallpaper, my widgets and icons in a
> mosaic fashion, wish I had a screen shot, it's kind of cute. It's on
> both of my current installs and only on this amd system using a legacy
> nvidia gpu. Anybody else seeing this or has a clue what may be causing it.

Here's a bit of a update, when I logout and log back in as user or root
the weirdness is gone, but one time plasma froze while logging back in,
I was able to ctrl+alt+F2 and get a console and reboot but that was just
one time with no repeats. It is only on the 'nvidia geforce gt 610' that
this happens, my other systems/computers are okay.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<0bcc7bd2-737c-5047-70f8-1bdc3ca81edb@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=417&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#417

From: rm@nunya.inv (Rinaldi)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 19:20:05 -0500
 by: Rinaldi - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:20 UTC

On 6/23/21 5:04 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 6/15/21 3:19 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Current kde5, during startup splash screen I'm seeing a box flashing,
>> it's mosaic and showing my desktop wallpaper, my widgets and icons in
>> a mosaic fashion, wish I had a screen shot, it's kind of cute. It's on
>> both of my current installs and only on this amd system using a legacy
>> nvidia gpu. Anybody else seeing this or has a clue what may be causing
>> it.
>
> Here's a bit of a update, when I logout and log back in as user or root
> the weirdness is gone, but one time plasma froze while logging back in,
> I was able to ctrl+alt+F2 and get a console and reboot but that was just
> one time with no repeats. It is only on the 'nvidia geforce gt 610' that
> this happens, my other systems/computers are okay.

Lots of NVidia wierdness forced me to jump ship to Radeon. Had a 660ti.
A beast when it worked. Both nouveau and proprietary drivers had
problems.

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<20210624030414.726e5ddb@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=419&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#419

From: thorongil@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 03:04:14 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 01:04 UTC

On 23.06.2021 at 19:20, Rinaldi scribbled:

> On 6/23/21 5:04 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > On 6/15/21 3:19 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> >> Current kde5, during startup splash screen I'm seeing a box
> >> flashing, it's mosaic and showing my desktop wallpaper, my widgets
> >> and icons in a mosaic fashion, wish I had a screen shot, it's kind
> >> of cute. It's on both of my current installs and only on this amd
> >> system using a legacy nvidia gpu. Anybody else seeing this or has
> >> a clue what may be causing it.
> >
> > Here's a bit of a update, when I logout and log back in as user or
> > root the weirdness is gone, but one time plasma froze while logging
> > back in, I was able to ctrl+alt+F2 and get a console and reboot but
> > that was just one time with no repeats. It is only on the 'nvidia
> > geforce gt 610' that this happens, my other systems/computers are
> > okay.
>
> Lots of NVidia wierdness forced me to jump ship to Radeon. Had a
> 660ti. A beast when it worked. Both nouveau and proprietary drivers
> had problems.

A lot depends on how much you want out of a GPU, but my machine here
has an onboard Intel GPU and it works like a charm for my needs, plus
that the driver is GPL'd and thus also updated with every new kernel
release, because the driver is part of the upstream kernel source tree.

Of course, I'm not a gamer, but I can watch movies in UHD without any
problems, and I've got several of Plasma's 3D effects switched on.
It's all as smooth as butter.

Nvidia is a genuine problem these days. Every single day we're getting
tons of new threads about Nvidia woes at the Manjaro forum, and other
distributions are reporting the same thing.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sb7k3q$t01$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=432&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#432

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:20:11 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 16:20 UTC

On 6/23/21 5:20 PM, Rinaldi wrote:

> Lots of NVidia wierdness forced me to jump ship to Radeon.  Had a 660ti.
>  A beast when it worked.  Both nouveau and proprietary drivers had
> problems.

Yes, nvidia has been a problem child in my current linux system testing,
I also test with other machines like intel with amd gpu, intel with
intel gpu and amd with amd gpu. In the past I had problems with intel
with intel gpu, right now this beta is more like a rolling release and I
never know what will happen next. My preference is good working stable
release. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sb7km4$14ss$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=433&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#433

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:29:57 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 16:29 UTC

On 6/23/21 3:04 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 6/15/21 3:19 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>> Current kde5, during startup splash screen I'm seeing a box flashing,
>> it's mosaic and showing my desktop wallpaper, my widgets and icons in
>> a mosaic fashion, wish I had a screen shot, it's kind of cute. It's on
>> both of my current installs and only on this amd system using a legacy
>> nvidia gpu. Anybody else seeing this or has a clue what may be causing
>> it.
>
> Here's a bit of a update, when I logout and log back in as user or root
> the weirdness is gone, but one time plasma froze while logging back in,
> I was able to ctrl+alt+F2 and get a console and reboot but that was just
> one time with no repeats. It is only on the 'nvidia geforce gt 610' that
> this happens, my other systems/computers are okay.

So I switched to no-splash in systemsettings and now get a perfect black
screen with no weirdness until the desktop loads and I can pretend there
is no problem. Hopefully things will get better and not worse. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sc0k8l$ftv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=439&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#439

From: KingBeowulf@none.none (King Beowulf)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 03:56:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: King Beowulf - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 03:56 UTC

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:20:11 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 6/23/21 5:20 PM, Rinaldi wrote:
>>
>> Lots of NVidia wierdness forced me to jump ship to Radeon.  Had a
>> 660ti.
>>  A beast when it worked.  Both nouveau and proprietary drivers had
>> problems.
>
> Yes, nvidia has been a problem child in my current linux system testing,
> I also test with other machines like intel with amd gpu, intel with
> intel gpu and amd with amd gpu. In the past I had problems with intel
> with intel gpu, right now this beta is more like a rolling release and I
> never know what will happen next. My preference is good working stable
> release. :)

I'm running recently updated Slackware64-current on 2 older intel boxes:
Lenovo T510 laptop (i5) and Lenovo SFF (i7). Both solid as a rock, given
the hardware age.

I switched to AMD Radeon when I upgraded the Ryzen 9 3900X (RX 5700 XT )
full tower from intel/nvidia and built Ryzen 7 3800X (RX 590) miniITX.

Other than some crashes due to OpenCL (using binaries striped from AMDGPU-
PRO) and Steam/Proton (native games are fine), I'm pretty happy with the
performance and stability in Xfce and KDE5 and the Mesa/amdgpu. I'd say
my kicking Nvidia to the curb is a success - no longer have to worry
about X.org crashes.

It is also nice upgrade the kernel (now at 5.12.14) and everything works
on a simple reboot!

-KB

Re: Weirdness During Splash on Current Installs of KDE5.

<sc1r5q$r4f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=441&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#441

From: Jimmy@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 08:00:10 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:00 UTC

On 07/05/2021 08:56 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:20:11 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 6/23/21 5:20 PM, Rinaldi wrote:
>>>
>>> Lots of NVidia wierdness forced me to jump ship to Radeon. Had a
>>> 660ti.
>>> A beast when it worked. Both nouveau and proprietary drivers had
>>> problems.
>>
>> Yes, nvidia has been a problem child in my current linux system testing,
>> I also test with other machines like intel with amd gpu, intel with
>> intel gpu and amd with amd gpu. In the past I had problems with intel
>> with intel gpu, right now this beta is more like a rolling release and I
>> never know what will happen next. My preference is good working stable
>> release. :)
>
> I'm running recently updated Slackware64-current on 2 older intel boxes:
> Lenovo T510 laptop (i5) and Lenovo SFF (i7). Both solid as a rock, given
> the hardware age.
>
> I switched to AMD Radeon when I upgraded the Ryzen 9 3900X (RX 5700 XT )
> full tower from intel/nvidia and built Ryzen 7 3800X (RX 590) miniITX.
>
> Other than some crashes due to OpenCL (using binaries striped from AMDGPU-
> PRO) and Steam/Proton (native games are fine), I'm pretty happy with the
> performance and stability in Xfce and KDE5 and the Mesa/amdgpu. I'd say
> my kicking Nvidia to the curb is a success - no longer have to worry
> about X.org crashes.
>
> It is also nice upgrade the kernel (now at 5.12.14) and everything works
> on a simple reboot!

When all this systemD stuff started computers with intel on intel where
passed around to developers for Free. Stuff like that will kill open
source. And is the reason intel on intel works the best. Now we have a
big push to buy new hardware, I say there is nothing wrong with my
hardware, there's something wrong with your operating system. :P

Saying that, I've been looking for a replacement for my old nvidia card
for sometime now, I just have not found one yet at a reasonable price, I
can buy three computers for the price if a video card and that's to high.

I have two ryzen laptops here I use for testing. Currently intel on
intel seems to be working the best with slackware-current/beta-15.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Fool Install - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263