From: richmond@criptext.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Kernel Panic!
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:42:21 +0100
 by: Richmond - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:42 UTC

I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.

I upgraded using:

slackpkg update
~ install-new
~ upgrade-all
~ clean-system

Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.

Re: Kernel Panic!

<20210426211108.3fe50f1d0da4b3d18b7312e2@cvine--nospam--.freeserve.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=322&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#322

From: chris@cvine--nospam--.freeserve.co.uk (Chris Vine)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic!
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:11:08 +0100
 by: Chris Vine - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:11 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:42:21 +0100
Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:
> I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
> not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
> cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.
>
> I upgraded using:
>
> slackpkg update
> ~ install-new
> ~ upgrade-all
> ~ clean-system
>
> Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.

You probably either (i) didn't rebuild your initrd if you are using the
generic rather than the huge kernel (see README.initrd in the slackware
distribution), or (ii) didn't run lilo (legacy boot) or eliloconfig
(UEFI boot) after installing the new kernel.

Re: Kernel Panic!

<s678cv$tsl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=323&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#323

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:38:45 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:38 UTC

On 4/26/21 7:42 AM, Richmond wrote:

> I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
> not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
> cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.
>
> I upgraded using:
>
> slackpkg update
> ~ install-new
> ~ upgrade-all
> ~ clean-system
>
> Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.

If you can boot, put a 3 at the end of the boot syntax before you boot
and run the upgrade again. See if that helps.

I run multiple computers for testing and there are 3 computers on my
desktop with amd and intel and each one has 14.2 installed, none have
had boot problems. I say this to let you know the problem is probably
somewhere between the chair and the keyboard. But I really don't know a
lot about much of anything. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Kernel Panic!

<89002eaf-bed3-4c7b-9d0e-5e7404e171dan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#340

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 10:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dgbbrown1@gmail.com (D Br)
 by: D Br - Tue, 11 May 2021 17:36 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:38:59 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 4/26/21 7:42 AM, Richmond wrote:
>
> > I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
> > not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
> > cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.
> >
> > I upgraded using:
> >
> > slackpkg update
> > ~ install-new
> > ~ upgrade-all
> > ~ clean-system
> >
> > Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.
> If you can boot, put a 3 at the end of the boot syntax before you boot
> and run the upgrade again. See if that helps.
>
> I run multiple computers for testing and there are 3 computers on my
> desktop with amd and intel and each one has 14.2 installed, none have
> had boot problems. I say this to let you know the problem is probably
> somewhere between the chair and the keyboard. But I really don't know a
> lot about much of anything. :)
> --
> Jimmy Johnson
>
> Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
> Registered Linux User #380263
Another alternative (Because I've upgraded without running lilo myself) is to:

1) boot from DVD (I havent done USB stick),
2) mount your root partition
3) chroot your root partition
4) mount -a
5) Then run lilo.

After that reboot and if every ran without issues it should boot normally

Re: Kernel Panic!

<m235trr90f.fsf@mbpro>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=381&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#381

From: cjdnews1@mailbox.org (cjd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 23:50:56 -0400
 by: cjd - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 03:50 UTC

Chris Vine <chris@cvine--nospam--.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:42:21 +0100
> Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:
>> I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
>> not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
>> cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.
>>
>> I upgraded using:
>>
>> slackpkg update
>> ~ install-new
>> ~ upgrade-all
>> ~ clean-system
>>
>> Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.
>
> You probably either (i) didn't rebuild your initrd if you are using the
> generic rather than the huge kernel (see README.initrd in the slackware
> distribution), or (ii) didn't run lilo (legacy boot) or eliloconfig
> (UEFI boot) after installing the new kernel.

To tack on to this, booting from your Slackware install USB/DVD and
chrooting into the root filesystem can help you address these issues.