From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Synth problem or version problem?
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 20:44:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 20:44 UTC

My FreeBSD 12.3.just exited support,and all attempts to
build ports with Synth have stopped working (everything
failed or skipped consequent to failure).

Does Synth refuse to build for out-of-support OS versions
or is there a bug in Synth or the particular needed packages
(which have varied since the issue began)?

-=-=-

Re: Synth problem or version problem?

<slrnu2uedl.tcu.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=379&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#379

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Synth problem or version problem?
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:29:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:29 UTC

On 2023-04-06, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

> My FreeBSD 12.3.just exited support,and all attempts to
> build ports with Synth have stopped working (everything
> failed or skipped consequent to failure).
>
> Does Synth refuse to build for out-of-support OS versions
> or is there a bug in Synth or the particular needed packages

I don't think this has anything to do with Synth, which I'm not
familiar with, but with the fact that the ports infrastructure
itself explicitly refuses to work on FreeBSD < 12.4 now.

https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/Mk/bsd.port.mk?id=56932296b7bc5c29380a4c433c5a9250fb6b4fb5

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Synth problem or version problem?

<u0nqmp$j6h$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=380&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#380

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 01:12:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 01:12 UTC

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> On 2023-04-06, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>
>> My FreeBSD 12.3.just exited support,and all attempts to
>> build ports with Synth have stopped working (everything
>> failed or skipped consequent to failure).
>>
>> Does Synth refuse to build for out-of-support OS versions
>> or is there a bug in Synth or the particular needed packages
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with Synth, which I'm not
> familiar with, but with the fact that the ports infrastructure
> itself explicitly refuses to work on FreeBSD < 12.4 now.
>
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/Mk/bsd.port.mk?id=56932296b7bc5c29380a4c433c5a9250fb6b4fb5

There's a project-wide bias toward trailing-edge/retro users
I suppose.

-=-=-

Re: Synth problem or version problem?

<u0tcik$gta$4@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=382&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#382

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 03:48:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 03:48 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>> On 2023-04-06, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>>
>>> My FreeBSD 12.3.just exited support,and all attempts to
>>> build ports with Synth have stopped working (everything
>>> failed or skipped consequent to failure).
>>>
>>> Does Synth refuse to build for out-of-support OS versions
>>> or is there a bug in Synth or the particular needed packages
>>
>> I don't think this has anything to do with Synth, which I'm not
>> familiar with, but with the fact that the ports infrastructure
>> itself explicitly refuses to work on FreeBSD < 12.4 now.
>>
>> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/Mk/bsd.port.mk?id=56932296b7bc5c29380a4c433c5a9250fb6b4fb5
>>

> There's a project-wide bias toward trailing-edge/retro users
> I suppose.

("toward" meaning "directed at",not "in favor of")

Just got 12.4 installed,will be attempting a synth run tonight.