From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Another Slackpkg question
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:00:32 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:00 UTC

So here's another Slackpkg question. In my last post I asked about the
usual upgrade drill:

slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg clean-system

I wrote that this drill:

installs, upgrades, and removes packages as needed to give a new set
of packages which includes only those that currently belong to a
standard Slackware installation, and it upgrades all of them to the
version in the official Slackware tree.

I'm wondering about that last part:

and it upgrades all of them to the version in the official Slackware
tree

Does that mean that it upgrades them to the version in the official
Slackware tree *for that distribution*? Or does it cross
distributions--for example 14.1 to 14.2 or 14.2 to 15.0?

I'm guessing that it does not cross distributions, but I didn't see
that stated anywere--so I thought I would ask.

-Joe

Re: Another Slackpkg question

<s97fjb$thc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=363&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#363

From: david@me.invalid (David Robley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Another Slackpkg question
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 17:56:38 +0930
 by: David Robley - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 08:26 UTC

On 2/6/21 3:30 pm, Joe Rosevear wrote:
> So here's another Slackpkg question. In my last post I asked about the
> usual upgrade drill:
>
> slackpkg update
> slackpkg install-new
> slackpkg upgrade-all
> slackpkg clean-system
>
> I wrote that this drill:
>
> installs, upgrades, and removes packages as needed to give a new set
> of packages which includes only those that currently belong to a
> standard Slackware installation, and it upgrades all of them to the
> version in the official Slackware tree.
>
> I'm wondering about that last part:
>
> and it upgrades all of them to the version in the official Slackware
> tree
>
> Does that mean that it upgrades them to the version in the official
> Slackware tree *for that distribution*? Or does it cross
> distributions--for example 14.1 to 14.2 or 14.2 to 15.0?
>
> I'm guessing that it does not cross distributions, but I didn't see
> that stated anywere--so I thought I would ask.
>
> -Joe

It uses the mirror and distribution according to the contents of
/etc/slackpkg/mirrors which you must have configured, (by uncommenting a
mirror URL as there are no uncommented lines in the default config file)
to point to a particular mirror and distribution.

From man slackpkg:

FILES
/etc/slackpkg/mirrors
File to specify the location from which to download packages

And in the mirrors file:

# You only need to select one mirror and uncomment it.
# ONLY ONE mirror can be uncommented.
# # You can use a mirror not included in this file. Many people have mirrors
# in their local networks. A list of all official Slackware mirrors
# (not version-specific, so some mirrors may not have all files) is here:
# http://mirrors.slackware.com/mirrorlist/
# # Slackpkg only needs to point to the directory that contains
# "ChangeLog.txt", and don't forget the trailing slash.

The documentation is your friend :-)

Re: Another Slackpkg question

<s99tgm$rhv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=367&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#367

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:22 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40 UTC

David Robley <david@me.invalid> wrote:
> On 2/6/21 3:30 pm, Joe Rosevear wrote:

[snip]

>> I'm wondering about that last part:
>>
>> and it upgrades all of them to the version in the official Slackware
>> tree
>>
>> Does that mean that it upgrades them to the version in the official
>> Slackware tree *for that distribution*? Or does it cross
>> distributions--for example 14.1 to 14.2 or 14.2 to 15.0?
>>
>> I'm guessing that it does not cross distributions, but I didn't see
>> that stated anywere--so I thought I would ask.
>>
>> -Joe
>>
> It uses the mirror and distribution according to the contents of
> /etc/slackpkg/mirrors which you must have configured, (by uncommenting a
> mirror URL as there are no uncommented lines in the default config file)
> to point to a particular mirror and distribution.

Thank you very much! That answers my question completely.

-Joe