The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us will go to the stars.

devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Re: Hooking up Stockfish

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Hooking up StockfishLouis Epstein
+* Re: Hooking up StockfishDaveG
|`- Re: Hooking up StockfishLouis Epstein
`* Re: Hooking up StockfishChristian Weisgerber
 `* Re: Hooking up StockfishLouis Epstein
  `- Re: Hooking up Stockfishted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<tpt7t9$fip$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=357&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#357

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Hooking up Stockfish
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 03:35:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 03:35 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> The Stockfish chess engine (version 15.1 is available
> from the home site but the FreeBSD port is apparently still
> at version 14) requires another program to serve as its
> interface in order to be played.
>
> What compatible programs are available for FreeBSD?

No one has anything to offer on this?
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<k2xwL.2829179$%q2.2704916@fx15.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=358&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#358

From: nospam@nospam.net (DaveG)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:16:16 GMT
 by: DaveG - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:16 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 03:35:05 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:

> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> The Stockfish chess engine (version 15.1 is available
>> from the home site but the FreeBSD port is apparently still
>> at version 14) requires another program to serve as its
>> interface in order to be played.
>>
>> What compatible programs are available for FreeBSD?
>
> No one has anything to offer on this?

Have you asked the port maintainer? According to
/usr/ports/games/stockfish/Makefile

MAINTAINER= execve@gmail.com

--
ad astra tabernamque

Don't feed the trolls. You might catch something nasty.

Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<slrnts5fmf.2eo8.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=359&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#359

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 14:40:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 14:40 UTC

On 2023-01-14, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>> The Stockfish chess engine (version 15.1 is available
>> from the home site but the FreeBSD port is apparently still
>> at version 14) requires another program to serve as its
>> interface in order to be played.
>>
>> What compatible programs are available for FreeBSD?
>
> No one has anything to offer on this?

I have no idea whatsoever, but I would start by looking whether
Xboard can interface with Stockfish.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<tqemm8$lk6$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=360&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#360

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:31:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:31 UTC

DaveG <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 03:35:05 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>> The Stockfish chess engine (version 15.1 is available
>>> from the home site but the FreeBSD port is apparently still
>>> at version 14) requires another program to serve as its
>>> interface in order to be played.
>>>
>>> What compatible programs are available for FreeBSD?
>>
>> No one has anything to offer on this?
>
> Have you asked the port maintainer? According to
> /usr/ports/games/stockfish/Makefile
>
> MAINTAINER= execve@gmail.com

(I note that 15.1 has now reached the ports tree).
Had not asked the maintainer but will look into it.

-=-=-

Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<tqeo3r$gv0$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=361&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#361

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:55:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:55 UTC

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> On 2023-01-14, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>
>>> The Stockfish chess engine (version 15.1 is available
>>> from the home site but the FreeBSD port is apparently still
>>> at version 14) requires another program to serve as its
>>> interface in order to be played.
>>>
>>> What compatible programs are available for FreeBSD?
>>
>> No one has anything to offer on this?
>
> I have no idea whatsoever, but I would start by looking whether
> Xboard can interface with Stockfish.

It seems there need to be intermediaries such as
PolyGlot or UCI2WB to bridge between Stockfish's
UCI protocol and Xboard's CECP protocol...there is
also a Fairy-Stockfish that extends Stockfish and
can deal with Xboard.

-=-=-

Re: Hooking up Stockfish

<k30823Fj9hnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=362&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#362

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 20 Jan 2023 19:23:47 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 19:23 UTC

In article <tqeo3r$gv0$1@reader2.panix.com>,
Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>> No one has anything to offer on this?
>>
>> I have no idea whatsoever, but I would start by looking whether
>> Xboard can interface with Stockfish.
>>

>It seems there need to be intermediaries such as
>PolyGlot or UCI2WB to bridge between Stockfish's
>UCI protocol and Xboard's CECP protocol...there is
>also a Fairy-Stockfish that extends Stockfish and
>can deal with Xboard.
>
>-=-=-
>The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

The following works on 12.3, at least for stockfish 14:

pkg install stockfish
pkg install eboard
pkg install polyglot

create a polyglot.ini file in ~/.eboard/eng-out by following the
instructions at:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/124297/running-stockfish-rykba-engines-with-eboard

(except use /usr/local/bin/stockfish instead of /usr/games/stockfish)

start it up with the instructions at the askubuntu link.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..