He's dead, Jim. -- McCoy, "The Devil in the Dark", stardate 3196.1

computers / alt.internet.wireless / Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Guglielmo Marconi
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Lawrence Aracabia
| `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|  +- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|  `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Bernd Rose
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Jeff Liebermann
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
| `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Bernd Rose
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Erholt Rhein
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
| `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|  `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|   `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Bernd Rose
`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark

1
Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgfap2$59l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=alt.internet.wireless#339

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:31:47 +0200
 by: mark - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:31 UTC

Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I have Windows 10 and Android 11.
I am working on a project with multiple very large apartment complexes.
I have a paper colored apartment complex map for each complex.
The map does not seem to be online so it's a paper handout.
At each complex I'm expected to visit a set of given units each day for
various reasons and all they give me is this paper map to find each unit.

That works. But it's inefficient.
They do this to everyone, not just to me.

We're expected to use the paper map with hundreds of apartments and dozens
of buildings, where the numbering system for buildings usually makes sense
but not for the apartments. Sometimes we even need to visit parking spaces
as we have vehicles parked which we have to put notices on where the
numbers make no sense on purpose for security reasons.

Once I find a given location, I've been using OSMand+ to save the current
position. First off I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.

These apartments all have individual outside entrances so it's not like a
hotel where you go down a long hallway to serially find the door number you
need.

So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.

When I get to the right apartment door I step outside the entrance on the
ground floor and press as close as I can on the blue location dot which
pops up a "Looking up address" OSMAnd+ menu which usually gives the same
address for all locations. Then I press the "Add" star and change the name
to "Complex Bathroom" or "Complex Pool" or more commonly "ComplexBldgApt"
such as "RedwoodApts Bldg15 Apt489" or "RedwoodApts Lot15 Spot489" or
something like that.

Once I've renamed the current pressed location, I hit Save and then I can
navigate walking after that where OSM can talk me through the steps even
when the phone is in my pocket and my hands are full.

Having to fatfinger the location isn't as accurate as having a "Save
Current Location" button would be but it's definitely good enough for
government work as they say.

When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
full.

That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.

What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
location.

All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.

Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgfap2$59l$1@gps.HelpDesk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=alt.internet.wireless#340

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
From: GMarconi@the.GPS-HelpGroup (Guglielmo Marconi)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:14:02 GMT
 by: Guglielmo Marconi - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:14 UTC

In article <tgfap2$59l$1@gioia.aioe.org> , mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:
>Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

Hi Mark, happy to help here.

First, you need to pull your fucking head out of your ass.

Once your head is out your of your ass, take your camera and
snap a photo of the coordinates on your GPS receiver. Voila!

G Marconi

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<uaemiht2hrgqqe03kr5sidtap610v0gco9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=alt.internet.wireless#341

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 09:34:38 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:34 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:31:47 +0200, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

>Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

Will this work for you?
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Irfanview%20Insert%20Text.jpg>

Install Irfanview viewer and plugs:
<https://www.irfanview.com>

Open a picture.

Hit "e" on the keyboard. That should bring up the EXIF data.

Highlight the EXIF data you want to insert using the mouse and the
shift or control key.

Right click the mouse and select "Copy selected lines to Clipboard" or
hit "alt-S"

Exit EXIF info window.

One the picture, use the mouse frame an area where you want the text
to appear.

On the menu line above the picture, select:
Edit -> Insert Text (ctrl-T)

Hit <ctrl-V> to paste the text from the clipboard into the Text box.

It should look something like this screen dump:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Ifranview%20Insert%20Text%20Screen.jpg>

Play with the options. Hit OK.

Save the picture and you're done.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tggkqh$25566$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=342&group=alt.internet.wireless#342

From: curmudgeon@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:29:22 -1000
logging-data="2266310"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: curmudgeon - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 03:29 UTC

mark wrote at Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:31:47 +0200 :

> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
for jpeg images but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
every point on the grid of the jpeg.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
will be able to navigate based on those reference points.

Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgi591$10qe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=alt.internet.wireless#343

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:16:17 +0200
 by: mark - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:16 UTC

curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:
curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:

>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
> for jpeg files but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
> georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
> every point on the grid of the jpeg.
> https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Based on that reference, it looks like I need to find a program for Windows
which will georeference the digital image so that the georeferenced
digitial image can then be distributed to the team to be used for map app
navigation on their phones.

> Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
> will be able to navigate based on those reference points.
>
> Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

They got hung up on it being an image and they didn't read the rest of the
question because the question has nothing to do with exif data.

> It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
> georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
> https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

It may be impossible to georeference the jpeg but I can convert it to a pdf
using windows irfanview conversion plugins.

Once I have the georeferenced pdf, any good map navigatation program on the
phone should be able to navigate using that georeferenced pdf as it's map.

If I convert the digital image to a pdf, do you know of a windows program
that can georeference that pdf?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<1us8biu0iol71.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=344&group=alt.internet.wireless#344

Followup: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:59:37 +0200
 by: Bernd Rose - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:59 UTC

On Thu, 22nd Sep 2022 19:16:17 +0200, mark wrote:

> curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:
[...]
> looks like I need to find a program for Windows which will georeference
> the digital image
[...]
>> It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
>> georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
>> https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis
>
> It may be impossible to georeference the jpeg but I can convert it to a pdf
> using windows irfanview conversion plugins.

Georeferencing images predates georeferencing of *.pdf files by decades.
An excellent free GIS program for Windows (and other operating systems)
capable of georeferencing is QGIS:

https://www.qgis.org

Here is a tutorial:

http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

F-Up set to sgs-n
Bernd

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgovv3$113f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=346&group=alt.internet.wireless#346

From: curmudgeon@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:28:34 -1000
 by: curmudgeon - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:28 UTC

Jeff Liebermann wrote at Wed, 21 Sep 2022 09:34:38 -0700 :

>>Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> Will this work for you?
> <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Irfanview%20Insert%20Text.jpg>
>
> Install Irfanview viewer and plugs:
> <https://www.irfanview.com>
>
> Open a picture.
>
> Hit "e" on the keyboard. That should bring up the EXIF data.
>
> Highlight the EXIF data you want to insert using the mouse and the
> shift or control key.
>
> Right click the mouse and select "Copy selected lines to Clipboard" or
> hit "alt-S"
>
> Exit EXIF info window.
>
> One the picture, use the mouse frame an area where you want the text
> to appear.
>
> On the menu line above the picture, select:
> Edit -> Insert Text (ctrl-T)
>
> Hit <ctrl-V> to paste the text from the clipboard into the Text box.
>
> It should look something like this screen dump:
> <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Ifranview%20Insert%20Text%20Screen.jpg>
>
> Play with the options. Hit OK.
>
> Save the picture and you're done.

What the OP needs to do is assign a gps coordinate to each pixel in his/her
raster images using XYZ tile layers for each zoom level.

He/she probably will want to gather the coordinates for a few ground
control points from OpenStreetMap. Using those selected ground control
points he/she should use the free Windows QGIS version 3.20 or newer tools
which have a built-in OpenStreetMap based nominatim geocoder to warp the
image to his/her chosen coordinate reference system.

Most likely he/she will choose the EPSG 3857 Pseudo Mercator as his/her
target coordinate reference system with the polynomial 2 transformation
type and LZW compression settings.

A good tutorial for georeferencing JPG images with Windows QGIS3 is here.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/advanced_georeferencing.html

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgp1pk$1mg4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=347&group=alt.internet.wireless#347

From: LawrenceAracabia@Aracabia.com (Lawrence Aracabia)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:59:47 +0200
 by: Lawrence Aracabia - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:59 UTC

Guglielmo Marconi <GMarconi@the.GPS-HelpGroup> wrote:

> take your camera and snap a photo of the coordinates on your GPS receiver.

That can't work.

But the op can download Google satellite image map tiles & OSM map tiles.
https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader

I would think those tiles would come with the georeferences already.

But that free MapTilesDownloader utility from Ali Ashraf requires Python.
Is Python on Android?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thaidc$5eg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=350&group=alt.internet.wireless#350

From: erholtr@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:27:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Erholt Rhein - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:27 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:31:47 +0200, mark wrote:

> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

The way I would add gps coordinates to every pixel in an image would be to
use the free Adobe Acrobat product to turn the image into a geospatial pdf.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/print/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

People do it all the time for navigating airport terminals for example.
https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036971113-How-do-I-create-a-geospatial-PDF-

Firefighters & emergency responders use EGP to add geospatial coordinates.
https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/pms936-1/create-incident/geospatial-pdf

But I'd use Adobe Acrobat since it's easy to edit the image as a PDF.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

Most governments recommend navigation in the geoPDF in Android/iOS Avenza.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2012/12/geospatial-pdf-how-create-geospatially-aware-pdf

Avenza is limited to 3 active maps (although they can be combined).
https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/how-it-works.html

If you need more than 3 active maps, use Android/iOS Paper Maps instead.
https://www.paper-maps.com/

An easy way to test how geopdfs work is to download them from the usgs.
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#

Zoom to the 24K/7.5-minute quadrangle of interest & download the geopdf.
You can even choose historical geopdfs from the 1800's and 1900's.

An example is this Grand Canyon geopdf to use in either of those two apps.
https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/StagedProducts/Maps/USTopo/PDF/AZ/AZ_King_Arthur_Castle_20210820_TM_geo.pdf

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thci8b$6pb$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=351&group=alt.internet.wireless#351

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:37:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:37 UTC

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:27:41 -0000 (UTC), Erholt Rhein wrote:

> But I'd use Adobe Acrobat since it's easy to edit the image as a PDF.
> https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

So far I'm failing miserably to create a geospatial PDF using Acrobat.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/

From these instructions it will only work with Acrobat 9 & above
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/interacting-geospatial-pdfs/
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/geospatial-pdfs.html

But I think it needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/

I found the latest full offline Adobe Acrobat Reader installer here.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/
https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/2200220191/AcroRdrDC2200220191_en_US.exe

Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
Or just the writer?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thci8c$6pb$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=352&group=alt.internet.wireless#352

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:37:17 -0000 (UTC)

Lawrence Aracabia <LawrenceAracabia@Aracabia.com> wrote:

> But the op can download Google satellite image map tiles & OSM map tiles.
> https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader
>
> I would think those tiles would come with the georeferences already.

I wasn't able to get that OSM tile downloader to work on Windows 10.

But I found a way to download the apartment OSM map tile as an osm file.
https://blog.richmond.edu/sal/2017/10/30/downloading-open-street-map-osm-data/

From Windows you use the OSM web interface to export *.osm tiles.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/export#map=18/{latitude}/{longitude}

Then I converted that exported *.osm file to a series of SHP files.
http://mygeodata.cloud/

These SHP files are actually of a bunch of formats inside a zip archive.
amenity_polygons-polygon.cpg
amenity_polygons-polygon.dbf
amenity_polygons-polygon.prj
amenity_polygons-polygon.shp
amenity_polygons-polygon.shx
buildings-polygon.cpg
buildings-polygon.dbf
buildings-polygon.prj
buildings-polygon.shp
buildings-polygon.shx
landcover-polygon.cpg
landcover-polygon.dbf
landcover-polygon.prj
landcover-polygon.shp
landcover-polygon.shx
roads-line.cpg
roads-line.dbf
roads-line.prj
roads-line.shp
roads-line.shx

If anyone knows what to do next, please let me know.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thdlrb$1qg5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=353&group=alt.internet.wireless#353

From: curmudgeon@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:44:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:44 UTC

mark wrote at Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:37:17 -0000 (UTC) :
> But I found a way to download the apartment OSM map tile as an osm file.
> https://blog.richmond.edu/sal/2017/10/30/downloading-open-street-map-osm-data/
>
> From Windows you use the OSM web interface to export *.osm tiles.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/export#map=18/{latitude}/{longitude}
>
> Then I converted that exported *.osm file to a series of SHP files.
> http://mygeodata.cloud/
>
> If anyone knows what to do next, please let me know.

I've never done it but the OSM wiki says you can edit a local copy of an
OSM map using either a JavaScript ID editor or a Java OSM editor (JOSM).
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edit_maps

I'd suggest the more powerful Java OSM (JOSM) editor over Javascript ID.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

The Windows 10 JOSM installer should be located at their home page.
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thdm1e$1rqv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=354&group=alt.internet.wireless#354

From: curmudgeon@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:47:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:47 UTC

mark wrote at Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:37:15 -0000 (UTC) :

> But I think it maybe needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
> https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/
>
> Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
> Or just the writer?

My reader doesn't have the commands for importing the OSM shape files.
Therefore I think you need the Adobe Acrobat Writer (not the reader).
The writer costs money so you're better off with portable GIS or JOSM.

It won't be as simple to set up as you might like it to be though as
Portable GIS has a dependency on C++ and JOSM has a dependency on Java.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thdqem$111l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=355&group=alt.internet.wireless#355

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:03:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:03 UTC

curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:

> It won't be as simple to set up as you might like it to be though as
> Portable GIS has a dependency on C++ and JOSM has a dependency on Java.

I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable x64 which didn't
ask where to put it so I assume it went onto the almost full system drive.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

Then I installed portable GIS (pgis) onto the removable drive and the
button for the Desktop Packages "QGIS" brought up QGIS 3.4.7 as stated.
https://portablegis.xyz/

The suggested tutorial is for a much older version of QGIS unfortunately.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

On my portable QGIS version 3.4.7, "Raster>Georeferencer" doesn't exist.
Neither does "Layer>Georeferencer" so I gave up on that old tutorial.

The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<1o2aqr83l1629.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=356&group=alt.internet.wireless#356

Followup: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 09:14:54 +0200
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 07:14 UTC

On Sun, 2nd Oct 2022 17:37:17 -0000 (UTC), mark wrote:

> I wasn't able to get that OSM tile downloader to work on Windows 10.

If you get QGIS up and running, you can embed OSM inside your maps and
export OSM data to other formats, like shapefiles.

F-Up set to sgs-n
Bernd

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thg4ra$18i5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=357&group=alt.internet.wireless#357

From: curmudgeon@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:12:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:12 UTC

mark wrote at Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:03:18 -0000 (UTC) :

> The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

You've invested so much into QGIS you should most likely keep going until
you succeed, but if you find the need to give up on QGIS, Ozi Explorer
works too for georeferencing map files on Windows 10 computers.

OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and will
work with Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and MLR GPS
receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and tracks and most
brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS position (Moving Map).
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/oziexplorer.html

By some accounts Ozi Explorer is way better than QGIS but I can't speak for
either one based on my lack of personal experience.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<1gb6zfnzw2np9.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=358&group=alt.internet.wireless#358

Followup: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:13:10 +0200
 by: Bernd Rose - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:13 UTC

On Wed, 21rd Sep 2022 17:31:47 +0200, mark wrote:

I meant to address this from the beginning and unfortunately forgot while
reading through your very long OP:
> I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current Location" option

Point positions can be saved in OSMAnd as markers by long clicking on any
point in the map:
https://osmand.net/docs/user/personal/markers

Zoom sufficiently deep into the map, beforehand, to ensure the required
accuracy. Label name (= info) and style can be adjusted in the AddMarker
dialog.

These markers can either be exported to a *.gpx file from MyPlaces menu:
Click on the icon with 3 linked dots and choose a file manager like
TotalCommander as target.

Alternatively, you can use Backup&Restore from the Settings menu. Select
"local backup -> save as file". Then open the MyPlaces drop-down list and
tick on Favorites. "Continue" and, again, select a file manager als target.
Now the *.gpx file will be saved inside a *.zip-file named *.osf. (Rename
it to *.zip, if you want to access the content with any *.zip browser.)
Alongside the *.gpx will be a *.json file with some additional info.

You have to check, whether my information for markers and favorites need
to be exchanged. (Especially wrt. exporting.) I use the German version of
OSMAnd and there seem to be translation issues, mixing both point features
up, sometimes...

F-Up set to sgs-n
Bernd

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thv96p$4v9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=359&group=alt.internet.wireless#359

From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:59:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:59 UTC

mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

> Once I find a given location, I've been using OSMand+ to save the current
> position. First off I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
> Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.

To close the loop on this seemingly missing basic functionality to "Save
current location" without needing to zoom and fatfinger the spot, Bernd
Rose wrote the following about where OSMAnd put that (hidden) feature.

> > If you /really/ want the marker to be set on the current
> > GPS position (provided, an active GPS position is acquired at that moment),
> > you just need to long-press on the blue round GPS-center button on the
> > right bottom of the screen.

It's not intuitive to long press on the blue GPS-center button to get a
menu to save the current location, but once you know how, it works great.